• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Sails S4 |OT| The End Is About To Begin - Sundays 9/8c on Starz

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Still hungover and trying to make my way through this episode.

- Rackham mocking Max's accent had me howling
- "I read it in a newspaper." FAKE NEWS! That scene is so beautiful because of how fucking meta it is. We're watching a program that mixes together historical figures with a prequel for a fictional story. Loved it.
- I like that they introduced Grandma Guthrie. Far more interesting dynamic, especially with one prominent female character now dead.
- She's alive! TV rules strike again.
- The gold is in play! This fucking show

Another great episode. No stumbles on the way to the finale. Game of Thrones could learn a thing or 2,000 from Black Sails.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That was mostly table setting for the final stretch of episodes, but it was still great. Jack and Max both really shined.

- "I read it in a newspaper." FAKE NEWS! That scene is so beautiful because of how fucking meta it is. We're watching a program that mixes together historical figures with a prequel for a fictional story. Loved it.
- I like that they introduced Grandma Guthrie. Far more interesting dynamic, especially with one prominent female character now dead.

Another great episode. No stumbles on the way to the finale. Game of Thrones could learn a thing or 2,000 from Black Sails.

Everything in this post is correct.

Thank you for writing my post for me. I'm still chuckling this morning at Jack mocking Max's accent.

Rolfgang

A bit of a cooling down episode after the intensity that was episode 6, but Captain Jack Rackham mocking Max's accent was absolutely perfect. Toby Schmitz is a goddamn legend.

Rolfgang

Why is everybody on this show so damned good at acting? Shout out to Woodes Rogers' actor this ep.

They hypnotised all the actors, so they truly think they are their respective characters. Then they put 'em on an island, set up some hidden cameras and filmed the result.

cLOUDo

I don't like that move from Rackham, why he just team up with flint and the others?

I blame max for this, of course
Fuck her

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Rackham saving the day. Great fucking episode and it was nice to see it focus on another group.

Max is easily the worst character, but she's been the hottest on the show, minus Vane.

Amazing thing isn't just how much better the show has got, but how much nearly every single person has improved acting wise on it. Rackham was not this good in S1, but is far better as an actor now. Basically, it feels like the additional help they brought in, but Toby's continually great performances has moved up the others.

Pkaz01

The Billy Maddie bullshit seemed contrived and forced and I hated calling it happening lame.

however, the stuff with jack and Max was surprising fantastic, especially since Rackham is my favorite by far at this point. The scene with Silver and Flint was really good though, I couldn't help thinking.. man if you only knew how many times Flint was in your shoes

Rolfgang

The Billy Maddie bullshit seemed contrived and forced and I hated calling it happening lame.

however, the stuff with jack and Max was surprising fantastic, especially since Rackham is my favorite by far at this point. The scene with Silver and Flint was really good though, I couldn't help thinking.. man if you only knew how many times Flint was in your shoes

Shoe*

That was a great chance of pace, the calm before the storm.

And Rackham the MVP

Yup, a really nice change of pace for sure. Some really stellar moments in this episode. This and the previous episode have been absolutely incredible (Dat Interstellar music when Eleanor dies). Really loving the music too.

Stand out scenes -

- The slow pan to Rogers' face as he stares at Eleanors body. Really great score in this and a level of creepiness added on top with her staring back at him.

- Rackhams French accent as mentioned many times above LOL! Such a great character!

- Grandma Guthries introduction and her intellectual table tennis with Rackham and Max.

- Rackham saying his goodbyes to Anne.

And finally, the last shot of the episode. Knowing this is the final part of the puzzle to Silver killing his greatest friend makes me sad but we all knew it was coming, just was a matter of time. There's a queue as usual for Flints head, but Silver is at the top of the list it seems.

*Excellent* acting in this episode and the last. Holy fuck the next few episodes are going to be incredible!

El Daniel

Can we spoiler tag Treasure Island for these last few weeks? I know it's an old book and all but I've never read it or watched an adaptation of it and have no clue what happens in it. Would greatly appreciate it!

Can we spoiler tag Treasure Island for these last few weeks? I know it's an old book and all but I've never read it or watched an adaptation of it and have no clue what happens in it. Would greatly appreciate it!

Agreed. Although it is free for Kindle and so I downloaded it, but I'm not going to read it (well, re-read it, as I read it about a thousand years ago) until after this series is over.

I think Ep.7 might be one of my favorite episodes of the final season. I squawked, "BOSTON?!!!" at the same time Silver did. Fucking hell, Flint. I mean, it's been a long time since Flint's actions have been about realizing Thomas' dream, but this is something on another level of fuckery again. shit-shit-shit Speaking of Thomas - and I'm assuming Silver will be throwing this back in Flint's face at some point - if Thomas was in Madi's position, would he still be making the war his priority? Flint's biggest regret was that he didn't save Thomas when he had the chance. We never got a clear answer from Episode 4 were Silver posed the question about trading Thomas' life for the war. I feel like it's all gotten so blurred for Flint, and it's all got to come to a head at some point. So many great moments with both Silver and Flint this episode, stupid talented magnificent Toby Stephens and his talented muscle twitchy face. Calm and relaxed Flint is unnerving and wonderful at once, he feels more like McGraw than in any other season thus far.

I really enjoyed the last two episodes, though the pacing is super brisk. So many devastating parallels and foreshadowing from earlier seasons, props to those who caught the mention of Eleanor's fate from S1. I never thought Queen Madi was dead, but I was still delighted to see her alive, and dropping badass one-liners at Rogers. (She's too good for Silver, lawd.) I've seen a bit of talk from around the place about Eleanor being fridged for Rogers, and especially after Episode 7, I feel like situation is too murky and gray to summarize it so simply. As others have said so beautifully, Eleanor was Nassau, and when Nassau finally fell, so did she - and both to the Spanish. Rogers' loss of Eleanor wasn't as simple as I thought it was going to be, especially with him trying to come to grips with how much he may have never really known her at all. (Ditto to Eleanor with Rogers' darker side.) The loss of Eleanor and Nassau pushed the subplots of Jack/Anne/Max into a new place for the last few episodes, and I'm not sure if the Grandma Guthrie introduction would have been nearly as satisfying with Eleanor. The horror that Eleanor had died, and her grandfather was so callous... before Grandma Guthrie swooped in to steal the show. I imagine that would be the character Maggie Smith was supposed to play? Since we've had/have Stephens' other family and friends on the show, it would have been great to have the Dame herself, but at least the actress that played Grandma Guthrie was fantastic. She certainly was intimidating, and her scenes with Jack and Max were riveting.

Special mention to the pirate fan-girl, and the scene with Jack that broke the fourth wall. It was weird hearing about characters we know and loved (Vane, Blackbeard) from a very different perspective.

Jack's been the MVP of the season, and it was so great to have a Jack-heavy episode - it was absolutely hilarious and ominous all at once. I'm not sure which scene I laughed harder at - Jack's imitation of Max, or Jack complaining about all the fees. Please live, Jack. I'm alarmed by how much I don't want to lose you.

Bring on Skeleton Island!

This right here. Wow this episode was a doozy. I hate Rogers but you gotta feel for him here...and Fuck Billy....its interesting I always viewed Billy as being Flint's ally in Treasure Island. But it makes sense for all 3 of Flint, Silver and Bones to deapise each other.

Flint's fate is sealed.
3 people want him dead

They have dropped a few hints about Flint's fate in the current season. I hope its red herrings since i don't really like the build up they seem to be suggesting.

In episode 2 or 3 Silver asks Max what she was going to do with him, since she wasn't going to kill him. She says that she knows a place in florida where people are kept, people who aren't killed but lords in England want hidden away from society. Silver's eyes lighted up at that mention. An episode or two later, Silver casually asks Flint about Thomas, and whether he would give up the entire fight if he could be with Thomas again.

I think Silver is going to exile Flint to that "place" where he is reunited with Thomas again. As I said, I really don't like that ending since I feel James McGraw died when Miranda Barlow died, and bringing him back doesn't make any sense.

Just listened to this weeks Fathoms Deep podcast, which had the actress who plays Eleanor, Hannah New, on. Not a great interview, they mostly talk about character stuff instead of behind the scenes things, but apparently this was Hannah's first job out of acting school. Isn't that insane, I can't just imagine starting your career on a show like black sails. It'll be interesting to see where the cast are in 5-6 years, I remember following the Lost cast avidly after the show finished and the people who I expected to have big careers didn't, whereas Jin and Hurley are regulars now on Hawaii 5-0 and Claire is Belle on Once Upon a Time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
SPOILERS FOR THE NEW EPISODE

The ending. Oh my god. The last two episodes are going to be insane.

SPOILERS FOR THE NEW EPISODE

Linsies

Man, I love Billy (and not just because he's hot). Long John Silver is an awful pirate, especially after this episode (3/19).

I really loved Flint through most of the series, hated him in the beginning of this season, and now I'm back on his side (ish). I'm curious if they will treat this as a real Treasure Island prequel or just do as they wish to mess with everyone.

This show is amazing. It has me changing sides quite often. I don't think many shows have been able to affect me this way.

Man, I love Billy (and not just because he's hot). Long John Silver is an awful pirate, especially after this episode (3/19).

I really loved Flint through most of the series, hated him in the beginning of this season, and now I'm back on his side (ish). I'm curious if they will treat this as a real Treasure Island prequel or just do as they wish to mess with everyone.

This show is amazing. It has me changing sides quite often. I don't think many shows have been able to affect me this way.

3/19 episode and Treasure Island spoilers
The show appears to be playing directly into Treasure Island with Flint hiding the treasure on the island, but iirc correctly Flint dies years after that. So, I guess we'll see how far in the timeline they get to...

Me after 4x08:

636162333521706735-1635620024_okay-its-happening.gif

I'll have a babble later, need to think on it all for a bit! Fantastic episode, though, everyone got their time in the limelight. Toby Stephens' Flint continues to be an absolute masterpiece, such a great synergy of writing and superb acting.

XXXVI

i have to believe that everything after Flint pledges his support to Silver is part of their ultimate master plan to manipulate fucking everybody into achieving their endgame, but i'm not sure if this is just wishful thinking or what. i really want this to be the S2 finale all over again, but also i'm full of dread

never read Treasure Island, probably will after the show ends. this episode has me extremely stressed out right now

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode 8 Spoilers

giphy.gif

- That look on Flint's face when not only did Silver cancel his order but also brought the gold. Whew.
- Skeleton Island. Well there it is. We're nipping at the heels of Treasure Island now.
- Anne is the Queen of Side-eye, even with only one fully open eye.
- I could listen to Grandma Guthrie talk all day.

With Anne & Max reconciling, things just don't look good for Jack. He's jumping into the lion's den between Flint, Silver, and Rogers. Anne and Max might get to sail off into the sunset, but I don't see Rackham being part of that picture now.

You can already tell the next episode is going to be insane. What a setup for the finale.

jett

D-Member
They're actually doing it.

Tying directly into Treasure Island. Nice way to end things. I suspect Flint doesn't survive, but I do wonder how will Jack's presence change things.

Hyun Sai

Ok, minus the Blackbeard trap nonsense, this season is a fucking masterpiece. If they manage to go even higher in the last 2 episodes, this will be a classic.

Fantastic episode, incredible.

Watched it early because I'm bound for Vegas on business early tomorrow morning.

Fucking amazing. Jesus Christ the acting on this show.

- Lise Slabber (Idelle) with that monologue to Anne - I said dayum
- Max and Grandma Guthrie scenes
- Max and Anne and the hands touching
- Holy shit can we just get a full season of Toby Stephens and Luke Arnold talking to each other. I don't care about what even.
- The lighting in this episode (Flint's face when he and Silver are talking, half in shadow, half in light, so fucking perfect for Flint)
- I was surprised Silver's head didn't melt off when Flint gave him that look after Silver belayed his order and brought the gold
- Treasure Fucking Island ... and that story of the sunken ship ... just another example of how they whittle the best fucking shit into this show at every opportunity

Only two episodes left. I'm both so fucking hyped to see how they end it and so fucking bummed it's over. Will be buying the bluray (and I hope they have the behind the scenes stuff because the production values here put so much other shit to shame) on day 1.

fifteen Seven men on a dead man's chest,
yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Wonder if they will ever say the most famous lines from Treasure Island in the show, or if its too cheesy. I felt legit bad for the new Flint second, that dude's lifespan can be measured in hours now.

Billy being able to think one step ahead of both Flint and Silver is pretty crazy, as is Woods-Rogers not immediately executing Silver once he is in hand.

Did Max make a mistake?

Two episodes left. Noooooo :(

The setting for the finale could not be better. Outside of Breaking Bad I've never been this excited about a television show.

I can't wait to marathon it from beginning to end.

Ruruja

What an amazing ending to the episode!

Perfection.

I love that Joji has been in almost every episode, best background character ever.

Top Bottom