• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Hows the OG Mad Catz FightPad PRO? Saw it pretty cheap and thought about picking one up since I can't play a fighter without six buttons, but ive heard mixed stories about the circle dpad.
Anyone here ever use one?
Trust me, get the revised version. The OG D-Pad is crap & the O button eventually gets sticky. The revision fixed both issues.

JayEH

Anybody want to get games in?

CFN: J_Macgrady

ggs. you found the secret to beating rog, neutral jumping lol. Decided to bust out ken for the first time in a long set like this in months and man I forgot almost everything and I got too jumpy (which was the reason I dropped him in the first place). Got that 10 cross up challenge though which is something I can't do with rog!

Good games. I got lucky those last few Juri/Ken matches. Solid Balrog/Ken

nah i was just getting impatient. got outplayed there the last few games.

Wallach

Trust me, get the revised version. The OG D-Pad is crap & the O button eventually gets sticky. The revision fixed both issues.

Didn't even know they revised that controller. I had a launch one, and loved the shape and feel of it but yeah, it was basically useless functionally. I might give the updated one another look.

Neoxon

Didn't even know they revised that controller. I had a launch one, and loved the shape and feel of it but yeah, it was basically useless functionally. I might give the updated one another look.
Contact Mad Catz if you have the original. I heard that they may exchange your old FightPad Pro for the improved version for free.

Thanks a lot for your help, all of this is what I needed to hear if I'm going to be serious with Guile. I think what throws me off the most is not cancelling immediately after the c.MP but waiting just a few frames after it lands. Really odd timing for me right now, but I'm sure it'll become second nature once I get used to it.

Also, I think I was doing f + P, then immediately back to charge. If it's forward and THEN back + P, that would explain how I was messing up some of my sequences.

No problem. Having to cancel quickly into c.MP from the first boom then delay the second boom is another thing that can be tricky, too, both for that combo and the boom loop. I will fully admit to not having good enough execution to hit the crazier precision charge stuff in many matches, so I spend a lot of time in the training room with these combos only to revert back to simpler ones in actual fights. Seems to be my execution barrier right now.

Give me a PM if you wanna grind some Guile mirrors sometime, though. I'm usually around after 7pm EST.

Is Ryu still top tier?

I think so, most balance character, he's not a master of all, but he's doesn't have a single bad thing about him.

Good AA Jab.
Shoryuken still king DP
Very good damage.
Solid defense.
Very good offensively.
Close to the top in HP.
Technically sound character easy to learn..

Got bored so I made a personal tier list. Within each tier, characters on the left have fewer flaws than those on the right.

AsoJLMS.png

I don't think any character in the game is necessarily bad this time around, and that's phenomenal. Every character is competitively viable, even if it's easier for some to find success than others.

Urien A tier and above guile?

I'd say so, yeah. Guile's solid but is sorely lacking in some areas that hold him back from being Top 10.

Urien may eventually slip from the rankings once people figure him out (similar to Bison's meteoric decline from "best character in the game" to "low-tier gimmick character" in the eyes of many after he was properly dissected) but as of right now he's got great tools and combos yet takes less effort to excel with compared to Guile, in my opinion.

pizzacat

Banned
Urien is the best dlc character, it is known

The only real negative is what? No great AA, risk/reward on AAs hitting or not have people just blocking anyway, because if you time it wrong or are up against an awkward air attack (sorta like uriens jhk or ryus jlk you're fucked anyway? I rather block the incoming 300 dmg then do a possible 15 ._.

But hey that's just me I'm sure good players don't have to worry about that right?

JayEH

I'd say so, yeah. Guile's solid but is sorely lacking in some areas that hold him back from being Top 10.

Urien may eventually slip from the rankings once people figure him out (similar to Bison's meteoric decline from "best character in the game" to "low-tier gimmick character" in the eyes of many after he was properly dissected) but as of right now he's got great tools and combos yet takes less effort to excel with compared to Guile, in my opinion.

Urien is too reliant on Aegis imo so that's why I would switch places with guile. other than that i think i agree with the rest of the placements.

Urien is too reliant on Aegis imo so that's why I would switch places with guile. other than that i think i agree with the rest of the placements.

He is admittedly reliant on Aegis, but that's offset but how easily he can build V-Gauge between his awesome V-Skill and great CC normals as well as how dramatically Aegis can change the tide of battle (just look at RB vs. Bonchan from Saturday's Last Chance Qualifier for an example of Aegis stealing rounds practically on its own).

It's an essential part of his gameplan but it also opens up so many doors that imo it singlehandedly elevates him above every other DLC character.

FluxWaveZ

Got bored so I made a personal tier list. Within each tier, characters on the left have fewer flaws than those on the right.

AsoJLMS.png

I don't think any character in the game is necessarily bad this time around, and that's phenomenal. Every character is competitively viable, even if it's easier for some to find success than others.

Why would you put Rashid where he is? Rashid is great.

HardRojo

What changes would you like to see in Akuma from a gameplay point of view? What would you keep, add or take away?

I'd like to see him have 2 CAs, Demon being the "hidden" one and the regular comboable one like fireball of DP. I'd suggest the ground stomp but Urien already has that one, so the ground stomp could be his V-Reversal I guess, unless they take away his teleport and use it as his V-Reversal, which would be weird imo.

Why would you put Rashid where he is? Rashid is great.

He has to work approximately 1000000000x harder than the characters above him to achieve the same level of success. Basically everything he excels at, other characters can do better, and that makes him less viable overall.

I think James Chen put it best during EVO when he said that Rashid's main problem is that he has to open the opponent up 5-6 times in order to claim victory, while someone like Ryu or Necalli only has to land 2-3 solid combos and you're dead.

mbpm1

What changes would you like to see in Akuma from a gameplay point of view? What would you keep, add or take away?

I'd like to see him have 2 CAs, Demon being the "hidden" one and the regular comboable one like fireball of DP. I'd suggest the ground stomp but Urien already has that one, so the ground stomp could be his V-Reversal I guess, unless they take away his teleport and use it as his V-Reversal, which would be weird imo.

His raging demon should be his v-reversal which takes the whole bar and does actual Raging Demon damage.

jk

but actually wait that's hot

lupinko

Don't get too hype for Akuma yet guys. The Akuma you all know and love might not be the same from previous games. Hopefully he doesn't lose like half his special moves like Ibuki.

That Akuma is still around in Tekken 7FR, he even has FADC in that game. Lol

mbpm1

You know what I'm not looking forward to

Seeing Akuma's old moves...but slowed down to like 33% speed on startup/recovery

Watching sf4 guile and then sfv guile is such a trip in terms of how much snappier sf4 guile is. Its fine by itself but still

You know what I'm not looking forward to

Seeing Akuma's old moves...but slowed down to like 33% speed on startup/recovery

Watching sf4 guile and then sfv guile is such a trip in terms of how much snappier sf4 guile is. Its fine by itself but still

To be fair, SF5 in general just feels slower and more detailed in regards to it's animations as compared to SF4. SF4 really felt like a faster game, or at least looked like it.

And even though Guile's booms are slower in this game, he's still got the best fireball in the game.

Kashiwaba

He has to work approximately 1000000000x harder than the characters above him to achieve the same level of success. Basically everything he excels at, other characters can do better, and that makes him less viable overall.

I think James Chen put it best during EVO when he said that Rashid's main problem is that he has to open the opponent up 5-6 times in order to claim victory, while someone like Ryu or Necalli only has to land 2-3 solid combos and you're dead.

Exactly what i go through as Rashid player getting punished twice by Good Ryu or Ken ends the round while you have to work so hard and punish them quite few times to get the same results.

Hutchie

Great topic op. However, maybe we should state that the game (at least physically) can be purchased well below retail at amazon and the like.

Shin akuma must be the v trigger, demon flip v skill

KiteGr

Forgot to mention "Additional Censorship" since launch.
Sorry... I can't let that go! It hits me in my OCD.

Are they any useful youtube vids or channels where they teach you the basics and terminology for noobs like me?
This is a good video to get an idea of the terminology. A lot of the stuff shown is taken from SF4 but applies to SF5 as well.

Not at home right now or I'd try to find some good tutorials but I do remember Gootecks from Cross Counter TV did a training video for Street FIghter 5 where he explains all the basic stuff.

Be sure to ask here if you need any help too. There are a variety of players here with different skill levels and I'm sure some of us can play with you sometime so you can get an idea how to "properly" play the game :)

Hutchie

Is it time we get purple electricity on his Tatsu? I wonder if he'll gain any moves from Oni?

I think thats more of a vs series thing. Id love his ex hurricane kick to be his 3rd strike super. Man the character has so much potential.

Give me yun n yang and im set

Juri with the latex looks hotter imo

It's just a better design choice in general. The extra splash of colour makes her palette pop, and the way it changes in her alt colours makes for some really nice combinations (Colour 3 with the white and black looks particularly appealing).

It's just a better design choice in general. The extra splash of colour makes her palette pop, and the way it changes in her alt colours makes for some really nice combinations (Colour 3 with the white and black looks particularly appealing).

That too.

Color 4 looks fuckin sick with the latex on.

But censorship tho!!!

lol calling it censorship like it's some kind of crime is friggin dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom