• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

mclem

UnluckyKate said:
self quote:

PC Game from 2000 or so, it's RPG in space with a guy looking like James Sunderland (Silent Hill 2) as far as my memories go.

Your first combat was on a ring a you got yourself kick real hard so you got combat training after that... You had some gravity boots and when you go to your place in the begining, the guy finds it's old computer system.

That's all I can remember, please help me find this game.

Sounds a little like System Shock 2

Gabyskra

Banned
Okay guys I got one.

- on the NES, PAL.
- It was a side-scroller with ancient time weapons.
- a demon statue on the cover, with its tail breaking apart to reveal how it's really red and alive.
- You fight the cerberus.

Anyone has a clue?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Thi sis almost related, but for the longest time I couldn't think of the name of the Darkman video game for NES, for some reason I thought it was something like "The Shadow". All I remembered for the longest time was it being hard as hell, the creepy eyes, and the blue blocks in the first level. Then all of a sudden it's in the actor thread and in a few articles on i09.com, like everyone at once wanted me to know the name of that stupid game I hate.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Gabyskra said:
Okay guys I got one.

- on the NES, PAL.
- a demon statue on the cover, with its tail breaking apart to reveal how it's really red and alive.

Anyone has a clue?

Shadowgate? The cover is exactly like your description, the gameplay not so much.

Timber

UnluckyKate said:
self quote:

PC Game from 2000 or so, it's RPG in space with a guy looking like James Sunderland (Silent Hill 2) as far as my memories go.

Your first combat was on a ring a you got yourself kick real hard so you got combat training after that... You had some gravity boots and when you go to your place in the begining, the guy finds it's old computer system.

That's all I can remember, please help me find this game.
Anachronox, one of the best RPGs ever.

mclem

Gabyskra said:
Okay guys I got one.

- on the NES, PAL.

Anyone has a clue?

I don't know what the cover looked like, but didn't Myth get a NES port?

(I don't mean the Bungie one, there's a much earlier title with the same name)

Edit: A bit of quick extra research suggests that the game was rebranded 'Conan' for the NES.

mclem

UnluckyKate said:
System Shock 2 wasn't a FPS ?
Mmm, there's a debate that can go on for some time. Yes, it looks like an FPS, and the combat is usually FPS-style combat, but it has significant RPG components. I'm happy to call it an RPG, certainly - but it's sounding like it's definitely not the game you're referring to anyway!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
gketter said:
there's been one that's bugged me for a while now. It was an NES game, where you were a guy in a 2-d sidescrolling spy/stealth game.

You had to avoid spotlights and guys. The thing that left an impression on me was the 2-d had two levels and you could jump into the background buildings, lay down to avoid the guards walking past, etc.

What is this game. Help me GAF!
Hostages
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYtQGzV_kEk
This is the amiga version, according to wiki on the NES it was called - Rescue: The Embassy Mission (and looked like crap)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXJBB6xpU3c

mclem said:
Mmm, there's a debate that can go on for some time. Yes, it looks like an FPS, and the combat is usually FPS-style combat, but it has significant RPG components. I'm happy to call it an RPG, certainly - but it's sounding like it's definitely not the game you're referring to anyway!

Well, the game I'm looking for was not in first personn, so it's not System Shock then :(

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Brobzoid said:
Why, yes it is! Thanks dear sir. I was worried my memory had colored the shit out of that little screen-shot. Now to be shattered by finding out it's not at all any good...

Fortunately for you it was a good game. Very enjoyable. The sound and music was great too. Unfortunately since it's partly owned by Sony it will never ever get a Virtual Console release. :(

D2M15 said:

Yes! That's the one! Thank you muchly. <3

AIRic

There was a robotic sport game made for the first generation of 3DFX's Voodoo video card for the PC. It was like hockey or soccer in a half-pipe with the two teams (red vs. blue) fighting for the ball.

mclem

UnluckyKate said:
Well, the game I'm looking for was not in first personn, so it's not System Shock then :(

In amongst that discussion you may have missed someone else suggesting Anachronox.

Larsen B

This game entered my head a few weeks ago and I can't remember it.

A PS1 game, possibly strategy where you could operate tanks, soldiers and maybe a helicopter and the objective was to kill the other player's team. In 2 player versus, one of the teams was orange and one was green. The title screen (I think) had two muscled arms gripping one another, a lot like the logo for the play Blood Brothers.

I always thought it was called Assault Wars but it's not.

mclem said:
A couple more things would help:

Direction of scrolling?

Simultaneous play or take-in-turns?

My gut feeling is Last Duel, but it's a wild guess.

It is vertical. Sorry. Definitely NOT Last Duel but I have very fond memories of Last Duel on the Saturn. Technosoft, world of Technology.

=edit=

Oh, I just googled Last Duel. I was confusing it with Hyper Duel. God my memories are fuzzy.

You know, actually, it probably was Raiden 1, after all. Considering Raidens popularity, and this was at our local Pizza Hut which only got popular games (like TMNT, Robocop, NARC, and Mortal Kombat 2 later). It almost has to be Raiden. Unless there are Raiden clones from ~1990 that I wasn't familiar with.

batbeg

Some PC game where you race in sleek, futuristic cars and are basically just doing deathmatches all the time. One level I remember being called Alcatraz II.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Ok obscure PC games ahead:

Got a demo in a PC gamer magazine of a game that was:
-First person perspective. You started out on foot and could man vehicles of different types.
-You spawned at a nexus like building/mothership
-Science fiction setting with a heavy dose of blue colors
-the map was very big, and featured valleys and hills, I specifically remember a group of houses situated in a valley with a road going through.

Maybe around '98~'00

Another PC game:

1-2 players (potentially more)
controlled sci-fi ships from an overhead perspective in a battle arena
could pick up weapons and power-ups of different kinds
fighting each other, CPU or the environment
'95~'98 I think...

webrunner

Brobzoid said:

-First person perspective. You started out on foot and could man vehicles of different types.
-the map was very big, and featured valleys and hills, I specifically remember a group of houses situated in a valley with a road going through.

Maybe around '98~'00

Another PC game:

1-2 players (potentially more)
controlled sci-fi ships from an overhead perspective in a battle arena
could pick up weapons and power-ups of different kinds
fighting each other, CPU or the environment
'95~'98 I think...

That first game sounds almost like a Tribes game..

Brobzoid

webrunner said:
That first game sounds almost like a Tribes game..
I don't think it was Tribes. Tribes has a lot of jumping and is generally a lot brighter than this game. It was either set on a fictitious planet or at night, cus it was generally a dark game. Blue was the color of most things, if not, it had a blue tint.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Brobzoid said:
I don't think it was Tribes. Tribes has a lot of jumping and is generally a lot brighter than this game. It was either set on a fictitious planet or at night, cus it was generally a dark game. Blue was the color of most things, if not, it had a blue tint.
It kinda sounds like battlezone except the color scheme doesn't fit and I don't remember any towns.

Brobzoid

poppabk said:
It kinda sounds like battlezone except the color scheme doesn't fit and I don't remember any towns.
Might be Battlezone 2, looking at youtubes, but then my memory has filled in enough blanks at this point that it's not at all what I remember it being like. :(

dose

Larsen B said:
This game entered my head a few weeks ago and I can't remember it.

A PS1 game, possibly strategy where you could operate tanks, soldiers and maybe a helicopter and the objective was to kill the other player's team. In 2 player versus, one of the teams was orange and one was green. The title screen (I think) had two muscled arms gripping one another, a lot like the logo for the play Blood Brothers.

I always thought it was called Assault Wars but it's not.
Return Fire?
http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/caNAYahIP-c/hqdefault.jpg

Brobzoid

Brobzoid said:

Maybe around '98~'00
Urban Assault

Woooo, thanks to Larsen B for jogging my memory. :D

wtf...

aaaaaa

edit: nevermind, I found it. Yobi's Magic Spelling Tricks.

Trying to find the name of an old PC game. I played it around 1995 on Windows 3.1. I think it came on a demo disc that I got with my Compaq computer. I believe was native to Win3.1.

It was a 2D kids game where you had to go around a single screen collecting the letters in a word in order. At least 50 stages. It looked and played kind of like an Adventures of Lolo game, but it started out much easier.

Im searching for a game which had you play a space marine fighting aliens (duh)

The game was viewed top down, and probably played in dos. The marine could be moved around the screen (no scrolling), shooting at a slight angle of the direction he was moving, and he was able to collect different weapons.

There were a sequel, and in this edition there definetely was levels, and stationary turrets to mount. Furthermore scrolling was present in this edition.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

ultron87

batbeg said:
Some PC game where you race in sleek, futuristic cars and are basically just doing deathmatches all the time. One level I remember being called Alcatraz II.

Megarace?

You race, and have to kill all your opponents before the race is over.

There was this game on SNES. It was a platformer. I think it involved books. It was based off a live action kid movie. It might've been Disney but I honestly can't remember. I know this isn't much to go on but does anyone remember it?

cosmicblizzard said:
There was this game on SNES. It was a platformer. I think it involved books. It was based off a live action kid movie. It might've been Disney but I honestly can't remember. I know this isn't much to go on but does anyone remember it?

The Pagemaster.

I was trying to think of the "game" where you could animate Felix the Cat and make new videos or whatever, but I found it. I played it when I was younger and I wish I could find a copy of it. So much fun.

Another one was Super Solvers Outnumbered! That was a great math game on the old DOS system.

kamspy

That NES game where you played as a wolf who had some type of spear/sword things for arms.

I remember the box art kicking ass, but I'm not sure the game did.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Malio

I had a game like that, which bugged me for YEARS that I couldn't remember it. Was the very first Commodore 64 game I ever bought, and loved it back in the day.

Found out the name recently tho!

Project_Firestart_Coverart.png

Reno7728

I'd like some help to find what i'm sure was an incredibly obscure pc game from back in the day.

it was a 3rd person adventure game that started off in space - but then the main character somehow ended up on some weird planet.

i remember that the main character had hands but no limbs and was a strange colour (i think purple)
thanks for any help in advance!

TunaLover

Here I go

It was a NES-like game, it had a Mario character with a yellow engineer cap, it was a puzzle-platforming game, with a static background, I remember a stage builder with walls, ladders, the background was all black.

Spayro

might be a long shot, but I vaguely remember an old 2d sidescroller where you played as this karate bunny.. I don't remember much :lol
anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
TunaLover said:
Here I go

It was a NES-like game, it had a Mario character with a yellow engineer cap, it was a puzzle-platforming game, with a static background, I remember a stage builder with walls, ladders, the background was all black.

That sounds like Wrecking Crew.

Mollymauk

DeaconKnowledge said:
There was this game I played for the Commodore 64 over 20 years ago. You entered ruins and such and went looking for treasure, and monsters tried to kill you along the way. I think it was made by either Accolade or Activision, and i've been trying to remember the name for literal years now.

Aztec?

Spayro said:
might be a long shot, but I vaguely remember an old 2d sidescroller where you played as this karate bunny.. I don't remember much :lol

Sounds like Jazz Jackrabbit. He wore a red bandanna like Ryu from Streetfighter, but it's more of a shooter than karate.

mclem

Spayro said:

Samurai Warrior: The Battles of Usagi Yojimbo?

mclem

Reno7728 said:
I'd like some help to find what i'm sure was an incredibly obscure pc game from back in the day.

it was a 3rd person adventure game that started off in space - but then the main character somehow ended up on some weird planet.

i remember that the main character had hands but no limbs and was a strange colour (i think purple)
thanks for any help in advance!

Do you mean adventure in the point-and-click sense or in the more modern sense? If the latter, this just about fits "The Adventures of Captain Comic".

kamspy

Davidion said:

Yup.

That ride home from Toys-R-Us was epic. Probably more epic than the actual game. Things haven't changed in gaming so much after all...:lol

Just look at how badass this would be to the 7-10 year old mind. God damn. More hype there than all the next gen viral combined.

Werewolf.jpg

Top Bottom