• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
It's a PC game.
1st person point and click.
Kinda early 90s 3D.
At one point, the main character throws up after looking in a fridge.

Any ideas? It came as a demo with PC Gamer, and I've been stumped as hell.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
D2M15 said:
More than enough - it's The Eidolon.

And yeah, the dragon proximity warning still haunts me to this day.

How do you people remember this stuff?!

Thank you very much. <3

mclem

Skittleguy said:
It's a PC game.
1st person point and click.
Kinda early 90s 3D.
At one point, the main character throws up after looking in a fridge.

Any ideas? It came as a demo with PC Gamer, and I've been stumped as hell.

Normality?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
mclem said:
Normality?
6b4mrer.jpg

You, sir, are a winner.

mujun

mujun said:
nah, i played that. good try though, thanks :)

it was more arcadey, totally real time. from memory the character on the screen was represented as a dot or circle and the monsters and equipment were in windows as static pictures.

im pretty sure the whole game was just one dungeon..

ended up finding it myself :)

this game, master of magic.

If someone could help me out, I remember this game on the Sega Genesis, you were like a pirate and you ran damn fast. It was kind of like a Sonic the Hedgehog game with a pirate theme.

Fine

I've got one that's been driving me crazy for years.

It's an old DOS game, one of the edutainment titles, and it was primarily about music.
I think there were gnomes or some other fantasy creatures, and the game was divided into a bunch of mini games.
There was one game where you had to rescue animals from a burning mushroom by choosing the correct pitches, another with a musical parade, and another where you could choose all sorts of tunes from a picnic-like setting.

It's been haunting me that I can't remember the name of it.
Halp, GAF.

Fine

Fine said:
I've got one that's been driving me crazy for years.

It's an old DOS game, one of the edutainment titles, and it was primarily about music.
I think there were gnomes or some other fantasy creatures, and the game was divided into a bunch of mini games.
There was one game where you had to rescue animals from a burning mushroom by choosing the correct pitches, another with a musical parade, and another where you could choose all sorts of tunes from a picnic-like setting.

It's been haunting me that I can't remember the name of it.
Halp, GAF.

Oh my god. Just found it, after hunting for several years. Metrognomes' Music by The Learning Company. I just happened to look at TLC's wiki entry, and while looking through the entries, it was listed. There aren't any screen shots of it anywhere. It doesn't have a wiki entry, or an entry on any of the big websites (like Moby Games). It isn't available at any abandonware site. It's like a phantom. But it is for sale on eBay!

-Arcade game
-2D
-Early 1990's
-Takes place in a school classroom
-You have to avoid being seen by the teacher to reach a certain student (girlfriend?)
-Other students throwing things (?)

Vague, I know.

DeadTrees

Gunloc said:
-Arcade game
-2D
-Early 1990's
-Takes place in a school classroom
-You have to avoid being seen by the teacher to reach a certain student (girlfriend?)
-Other students throwing things (?)

Vague, I know.
Mikie?

Ok I never actually got to play this game but I definitely want to. I used to go to my cousin's house a lot when I was younger and he had a SNES. I remember always coming in and seeing him play this game but the only thing I can remember is some character chasing a fuse to a bomb... I remember it was pretty colorful too. It was a sidescroller or sorts....I think.

I've been trying to think of the name or try to remember more about it for years but I just draw blanks...HELP GAF!

JodyAnthony said:
it was an old top-down racer-type arcade game, it looked kind of like spy-hunter, but it wasn't spy-hunter. however i think it did involve shooting.

the cabinet i played it on had a steering wheel and gas pedal. it wasn't a sit-down machine.

I am absolutely positive it wasn't spy hunter, but it was similar.

I remember playing it around 1990 but I know it was older than that.

As previously mentioned this could be The Speed Rumbler (Which was also called Rush n Crash), or perhaps Sega's Action Fighter.

- 2D Beat em up game similar to Streets of Rage, Double Dragon etc.
- Played it in an arcade back in the mid 90s (94-95 maybe).
- 2 players (might've been up to 4).
- I think your characters looked something like a mix between a ninja/robot thing. You could attack with swords and more conventional weapons as well.

Not much I know, but I've been searching for this game for eons.

eso76

The Spacepope said:
- I think your characters looked something like a mix between a ninja/robot thing. You could attack with swords and more conventional weapons as well.

It's not Captain Commando is it ? it has ninjas and robots, but no ninjarobot

Shadow Force ? it has ninjarobots iirc

Sengoku 1/2/3 ?

Robo Army ? robots only i believe

anoon

side scrolling game. c64. i was playing eidolon and the like about the same time. the name began i think with a "u". was something like ukuan or some weird name with u.

you started on the surface of the earth and went down into tunnels. cant even remember what the purpose was but it was sort of free roam maybe like doctor who but less focussed.

The Arc of Yesod?
The Nodes of Yesod?

Though those were supposed to take place on the moon or something.

anoon

it was an old top-down racer-type arcade game, it looked kind of like spy-hunter, but it wasn't spy-hunter. however i think it did involve shooting.

the cabinet i played it on had a steering wheel and gas pedal. it wasn't a sit-down machine.

I am absolutely positive it wasn't spy hunter, but it was similar.

I remember playing it around 1990 but I know it was older than that.

If it was Bandit, consider yourself lucky. I don't think that went into full production.
It looked very much like Spy Hunter, but you were an escaped convict, driving across state lines to get away. You could buy powerups for your car at the state borders.

At the end, you make it to the airport where there's a babe waiting for you on the stairway of the plane. You run towards the plane but end up getting run over. CRIME DOES NOT PAY.

eso76 said:
It's not Captain Commando is it ? it has ninjas and robots, but no ninjarobot

Shadow Force ? it has ninjarobots iirc

Sengoku 1/2/3 ?

Robo Army ? robots only i believe
It might be Shadow Force actually. It definitely looks (and sounds) familiar, though I can't be sure. My memory of the game might have been distorted over time also I guess.

Anyway, thanks. Now I just gotta find a PCB.

OK then,

Arcade machine, Top down overhead scrolling racer, with sprite/background scaling. It would zoom in at a pitstop, and the car might have scaled up when it was in the air.
Possibly had background rotation so you're always aiming up the screen. It had sports cars, and a relatively realistic look. Likely to be early 90s.

I only saw this game once, so the details might be off, but I'd love to know what it was!

There was some NES game I played, I believe it was really obscure. A behind-the-ship, third person shmup. Like the Space Harrier perspective, but you could only strafe left and right, couldn't change altitude. Fairly impressive graphics. I believe the first level had a neon city backdrop far in the distance.

You were a ship, not a guy

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
revolverjgw said:
There was some NES game I played, I believe it was really obscure. A behind-the-ship, third person shmup. Like the Space Harrier perspective, but you could only strafe left and right, couldn't change altitude. Fairly impressive graphics. I believe the first level had a neon city backdrop far in the distance.
3-D WorldRunner?

qj69zz

u_neek

I remember reading about a PS1 survival horror title in OPM UK about a plane crash, heavy snow and a mountain.

... and that's it! Not even sure if these details are entirely correct.

Fredescu

There is a 3D action adventure game on PC that I'm trying to remember where you start out in a futuristic city. I think the first major task was to try and get past the guards to get out of the first part of the city. It had a nice style about it, not trying to be too realistic. It would have been from the late 90s or early 00s. I don't remember much else about it.

Jokey665

Alright, this has been bugging me forever. I'm pretty sure it was an NES game. You played as a worm or something? I think it had an isometric view and it was exploration based or something... Sorry for being vague but it's been probably 10+ years since I played it.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
revolverjgw said:
Nope, forgot to mention that you were a ship, not a dude

Edit- wait, I didn't forget to mention that. You're, like, getting me confused and stuff
I wasn't sure if "behind-the-ship" was literal or not. I just took the Space Harrier description and ran with it.

If I can think of another possible candidate, I'll post it.

Edit: Maybe Captain Skyhawk?

u_neek

I found my game after going throught half of Gamespot's PS1 databae :lol It's called Aconcagua, a PS1 survival horror title from Sony, only released in Japan.

Seems like it bombed extremely hard though, managing to sell only 3.721 units according to the recent PS1 LTD sales thread. And it's never been mentioned even once on Neogaf.

aconcagua_790screen005.jpg

aconcagua_790screen004.jpg

aconcagua_790screen003.jpg

aconcagua_790screen002.jpg

Fredescu

Fredescu said:
There is a 3D action adventure game on PC that I'm trying to remember where you start out in a futuristic city. I think the first major task was to try and get past the guards to get out of the first part of the city. It had a nice style about it, not trying to be too realistic. It would have been from the late 90s or early 00s. I don't remember much else about it.
I think I've figured it out. Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

mujun

The Spacepope said:

ninja warriors?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The Spacepope said:

Taito's Ninja Warriors, although the "cyber-ninja" concept is more obvious in the SNES sequel.

Whimsical Phil said:
I wasn't sure if "behind-the-ship" was literal or not. I just took the Space Harrier description and ran with it.

If I can think of another possible candidate, I'll post it.

Edit: Maybe Captain Skyhawk?

Nope, it was 3rd person faux 3D more along the lines of Outrun, F-Zero, etc.

Thanks for trying through... but this is at least the 4th time I've thrown this out there on GAF in similar topics, getting multiple guesses, and nobody's gotten it yet. I'm pretty sure this is super obscure, like Japanese-exclusive obscure or something. I think I'm extremely well versed on the NES library but I'm sure I've never seen this game mentioned anywhere on the internet except the one time I played it via emulator out of curiousity about the file name.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Undeux said:
I've been trying to remember the name of this one somewhat early PS2 game... it was an FPS, probably Japanese, with some martial arts (as well as guns) and maybe some magic-type of abilities. It was kind of futuristic, and I remember that it had a lot of hype, then it came out and kind of sucked. I don't really remember much more than that, except that seeing the trailer for Mirror's Edge kind of reminded me of it a few months back.
is maken-x what youre thinking of?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
What was that SNES fighting game that was a poor copy of Street Fighter 2 that Capcom sued over? Fighter's Spirit or something like that?

Archie said:
What was that SNES fighting game that was a poor copy of Street Fighter 2 that Capcom sued over because it was essentially a carbon copy. Fighter's Spirit or something like that?

Fighter's History

mclem

Handycrap101 said:
Ok I never actually got to play this game but I definitely want to. I used to go to my cousin's house a lot when I was younger and he had a SNES. I remember always coming in and seeing him play this game but the only thing I can remember is some character chasing a fuse to a bomb... I remember it was pretty colorful too. It was a sidescroller or sorts....I think.

I've been trying to think of the name or try to remember more about it for years but I just draw blanks...HELP GAF!

Kid Klown?

PC Game from 2000 or so, it's RPG in space with a guy looking like James Sunderland (Silent Hill 2) as far as my memories go.

Your first combat was on a ring a you got yourself kick real hard so you got combat training after that... You had some gravity boots and when you go to your place in the begining, the guy finds it's old computer system.

That's all I can remember, please help me find this game.

atomico

Graphics Horse said:
OK then,

Arcade machine, Top down overhead scrolling racer, with sprite/background scaling. It would zoom in at a pitstop, and the car might have scaled up when it was in the air.
Possibly had background rotation so you're always aiming up the screen. It had sports cars, and a relatively realistic look. Likely to be early 90s.

I only saw this game once, so the details might be off, but I'd love to know what it was!

thrash rally, maybe? (bad screencap, sorry :D )
5x3ew3.gif

most of the racing games with realistic/digitized graphics had this 3/4 perspective, like world rally, neo drift out, etc
14l543t.jpg

Yaweee

Pitch Black Flint said:
I got one that's been buggin' me for years. This ain't gonna be easy cuz my memories are very vague, but here goes:

-NES game
-Released in US, but not sure of its origins
-Fantasy adventure theme
-Bright colors
-Side-scrolling, repetitive backgrounds, environments
-Contains indoor and outdoor exploration
-May have had something to do with finding keys
-Pretty difficult from what I remember

And that's it. That's all I remember.

Clash at Demonhead ? You don't find keys, but there are a lot of special items needed to progress.

It could also have been 8 Eyes (maybe).

Sorry if this was answered already, I couldn't find anything Flint said was right.

Mik2121

Ok, let's see if someone can help me out with this one:

Arcade game.
It's a fighter.
There were different characters available like:
- An old man in a wheelchair
- A monkey
- Two sisters

And some other characters I can't remember now.
The stages were stuff like a ship, and you could keep going from the top floor to the base, or some building and whatnot.

The characters were sprites, and I think the background too, though maybe they were just normal drawings. Not sure though, but it was damn awesome.

edit - whatever, just found it :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_oGQ6f8QaE - The Outfoxies

Top Bottom