• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you remember, names you don't

Here's a new one for you:

A Playstation game.
A fighting game (I think).
One character was a rabbit or some such shit.
In one mode you got to walk through a maze and jump over pits in order to get from fight to fight...

I can't remember much outside of that.

It was a mech game before MS Mechwarrior series debut. The game starts with the ability to choose the hotspots from a world map. There was multiple mechs, a red scorpion type mech with a long range missile, slow, a yellow fast mech, used for scouting and others that I forget.

My first pc game.

DeadTrees

mrklaw said:
vector arcade game.

two tanks (for single or multiplayer) that you controlled by directly moving their tracks - so I think there were four buttons, not sticks. so up buttons for both tracks = forward, down on one to turn etc. And a fire button.

Bunch of triangles in the centre which were fuel pods I think. Bad guys come on from the edges of the screen in waves, drive up to the pods and try and tow them off screen. Usually three at a time, first just driving, then shooting at you. Shoot an enemy towing a pod and the pod stayed where it was, ready for another enemy to continue to tow it off screen

You could shoot the other player but he respawned after a delay. Infinite lives, game over when all the pods were taken off screen.

I remember it getting really tense as the pods slowly ended up moving towards the edges of the screen, meaning the enemies could pick them up more quickly so less warning etc.

please let someone both identify and link to more info on this. Its pretty much the only arcade game from my youth that I can't remember the name of.
It's Rip Off.

mclem

dasupremeone said:
It was a mech game before MS Mechwarrior series debut. The game starts with the ability to choose the hotspots from a world map. There was multiple mechs, a red scorpion type mech with a long range missile, slow, a yellow fast mech, used for scouting and others that I forget.

My first pc game.

This sounds uncannily similar to one mentioned on the previous page - the red scorpion in particular. Unless it's just a big coincidence, that would be Ultrabots, then.

DTJAAAAM

Danne-Danger said:
Here's a new one for you:

A Playstation game.
A fighting game (I think).
One character was a rabbit or some such shit.
In one mode you got to walk through a maze and jump over pits in order to get from fight to fight...

I can't remember much outside of that.

Tobal No. 1?

Avengedsd

I have been trying to figure out the name of this game for some time now. This is a game that my gf had on her NES as a kid.

Here is her explanation:

In every other level it is a top down shooter where you shoot tanks, planes, and helicopters. At the end of these types of levels you have to destroy some sort of base station.

The other levels in the game take place inside the cockpit where you can see a horizontal line and you shoot down other planes.

After each set of two levels you go to a space station to get supplies. I think there were 8 total levels. At the end you fight a big boss guy in space.
He is red and has all these eyes. You have to shoot the small eyes first and then you shoot a giant eyeball to win.

DTJAAAAM

Avengedsd said:
I have been trying to figure out the name of this game for some time now. This is a game that my gf had on her NES as a kid.

Here is her explanation:

In every other level it is a top down shooter where you shoot tanks, planes, and helicopters. At the end of these types of levels you have to destroy some sort of base station.

The other levels in the game take place inside the cockpit where you can see a horizontal line and you shoot down other planes.

After each set of two levels you go to a space station to get supplies. I think there were 8 total levels. At the end you fight a big boss guy in space.
He is red and has all these eyes. You have to shoot the small eyes first and then you shoot a giant eyeball to win.

Captain Skyhawk?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
mclem said:
This sounds uncannily similar to one mentioned on the previous page - the red scorpion in particular. Unless it's just a big coincidence, that would be Ultrabots, then.

Yup. If only I'd known any of these other Ultrabots fans in 1996!

See also NetStorm: Islands At War.

DeadTrees

Shrubbery said:
There was an arcade game I played a lot in the early 80s but I just cannot remember the name, but I do recall it was in a sit-down cocktail cabinet.

Anyway, it was obviously inspired by space invaders et al, but it had 5 distinct waves. You controlled a ship at the bottom of the screen, firing bullets vertically.

Wave 1: Very similar to Space Invaders
Wave 2: Alien ships progressing slowly down the screen in columns
Wave 3: Might have been where you had to avoid meteors.
Wave 4: Can't remember
Wave 5: The mothership, which was at the top of the screen and protected by a sort of shield made up of vertical lines? You could only shoot between the lines to hit the mothership, which moved from side to side shooting down at you.

Then the waves repeat, only a bit harder.

Yes, this sounds a lot like Gorf. However, I've played that recently via emulation and it doesn't seem right - especially the final boss wave.

I was wondering if there was a clone or similar game made by another company? I think the year I played it was 81 or 82.
Astro Fighter?

eso76

Mareg said:
It was an Sidescrolling action game from the Arcade.
It was a 90s game.
Single player game.

It involved you controlling a fully armored gladiator/warrior. You had full control on the direction of your attack and the position of your shield. You could attack high/mid/low with your weapon.
The main thing about the game is that, as you fought the opposing enemies, your armor/shield would gradually deteriorate and pieces of armor would actually fall off.

The game was insane at visual quality for its time. I'm pretty sure it was extreamly violent and sporting buckets of bloods.

Also, I seem to remember the your character along with the enemy were taking much of the screen. Big guys hacking at each others basically.

Great Gurianos, Taito.
80's i believe.

DrDogg

There was an arcade game back in the 80s that had you playing as a futuristic motorcyle with guns. The screen would move diagonally from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner and you'd have to traverse courses littered with ramps, enemies, bottomless pits, etc.

Anyone?

mclem said:
Yup, it is Ultrabots. I played the game to the end, loved it.

camineet

Banned
1. Mid 1980s vert scrolling shmup in arcades
2. takes place over a modern city
3. You fly a WWI bi-plane
4. IIRC, powerups are little drone planes or jets at your sides

5. It's not Sky Shark, Fire Shark or any sequels

This can't be too difficult.

eso76

DrDogg said:
There was an arcade game back in the 80s that had you playing as a futuristic motorcyle with guns. The screen would move diagonally from the bottom left corner to the upper right corner and you'd have to traverse courses littered with ramps, enemies, bottomless pits, etc.

Anyone?

uhh...Mad Crasher maybe ?

eso76

camineet said:
1. Mid 1980s vert scrolling shmup in arcades
2. takes place over a modern city
3. You fly a WWI bi-plane
4. IIRC, powerups are little drone planes or jets at your sides

5. It's not Sky Shark, Fire Shark or any sequels

This can't be too difficult.

tokyo / scramble formation ?
i believe it was mentioned already though

That's it. Thank you!

you're welcome, i always enjoy threads like this :)

Jazzem

Sorry to be shameless, but:

Jazzem said:
I once played a demo of a PSone game over a friend's house that I can't remember the name of. It was a third person shooter of sorts, with very cheesey dialogue and voice acting, and not long into the game the main character is shocked by the destruction of a city. The bit that sticks out in my mind though is the Game Over screen, where your character slowly falls upside down against a black background with the remark "Is this...the end?", shortly followed by a very awkward "Aurrrgh!" :lol

Anyone know the name? It's been bugging me for a while now.

Anyone? :( I must see that Game Over screen again!

it was an old top-down racer-type arcade game, it looked kind of like spy-hunter, but it wasn't spy-hunter. however i think it did involve shooting.

the cabinet i played it on had a steering wheel and gas pedal. it wasn't a sit-down machine.

I am absolutely positive it wasn't spy hunter, but it was similar.

I remember playing it around 1990 but I know it was older than that.

Undeux

I've been trying to remember the name of this one somewhat early PS2 game... it was an FPS, probably Japanese, with some martial arts (as well as guns) and maybe some magic-type of abilities. It was kind of futuristic, and I remember that it had a lot of hype, then it came out and kind of sucked. I don't really remember much more than that, except that seeing the trailer for Mirror's Edge kind of reminded me of it a few months back.

Baker

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
No one will get this one.

Back when I was in 1st/2nd grade, we had Unisys Icon computers in our classes. There was a game where you were a turtle (I think) moving through a maze. You could change into a pyramid looking structure.

That's all I remember. :lol
It was called Logo.

It wasn't really a "game", it was more of a "My First Computer Programming" thing.

Edit:
Well, the language was called Logo, but I'm pretty sure that's what the game was called too. It might have been Logos or something along those lines. You made the "turtle" move by putting in commands like:

forward 50
right 90
forward 50
right 90
forward 50
right 90
forward 50

to draw a square. There was also a mode like you described where you went through mazes.

camineet

Banned
Baker said:
It was called Logo.

It wasn't really a "game", it was more of a "My First Computer Programming" thing.

Edit:
Well, the language was called Logo, but I'm pretty sure that's what the game was called too. It might have been Logos or something along those lines. You made the "turtle" move by putting in commands like:

forward 50
right 90
forward 50
right 90
forward 50
right 90
forward 50

to draw a square. There was also a mode like you described where you went through mazes.

OMG I did Logo classes/courses when I was in 4th grade, there were 4 certification thingies that I got. Can't believe I forgot this. This was the mid 80s. :lol

I have a couple.

I don't expect anyone to get this first one because I have no idea what it was called. Back in early elementary school we used Apple IIs and they had all kinds of MECC games on there. There was this one game where you would expore caves and turn on lights and stuff. I know, that's vague but it's all I can remember.

The second one was a game that had to be on the NES. My siblings rented it and I remember them walking up to a house and pushing a doorbell and a guy would come out and yell at them. All I remember.

I hope you guys can help me here, these drive me crazy!

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
thewesker said:
The second one was a game that had to be on the NES. My siblings rented it and I remember them walking up to a house and pushing a doorbell and a guy would come out and yell at them. All I remember.
That was probably Maniac Mansion.

Darkpen

Banned
There was a Seseme Street NES game my parents got me when I got my NES at the age of like... 3-4, and there was this one level/mode where there was this moon with a face, and if you did something wrong, or if you failed, they would play this horribly mechanical and depressing ditty and the moon would make this horrifying frown. It was the only other game I had, along with Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt :(. Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid. The game in general was fucking scary, with its unrecognizable sound effects and awful caricatures of the tv show's puppets.

I've tried looking for it, but haven't found it.

I remember my mom being a total douche about it, and being like "why are you so scared of it, how come the other kids can play it easily and you can't?" Well excuse me if you made the TV and NES my babysitter :mad:

Shit scared me, just like the Emergency Broadcast System, and vacuums.

Here's one for you guys that's been bugging me:

-Was in arcades as part of a double pack with one of he Metal Slugs
-Top down shooter in planes and ships
-One of the characters was a dolphin

HELP!

DTJAAAAM

Wii Will Rock U said:
Here's one for you guys that's been bugging me:

-Was in arcades as part of a double pack with one of he Metal Slugs
-Top down shooter in planes and ships
-One of the characters was a dolphin

HELP!

That'd be Aero Fighters 2 or 3.

Camwi

Wilsongt said:
Played this game way back on the Gameboy. It was an RPG and I remember one of the random battles where you were fighting these guys that looked like stalactites with no arms, but legs. And they would run at you when they attacked.

I read through this entire thread, and this is the only game I think I might know.

The game might be Knight's Quest. I haven't played it in ages, but I seem to remember a bad guy like you described.

gfs7725122.jpg

Mareg

Originally Posted by Mareg:
It was an Sidescrolling action game from the Arcade.
It was a 90s game.
Single player game.

It involved you controlling a fully armored gladiator/warrior. You had full control on the direction of your attack and the position of your shield. You could attack high/mid/low with your weapon.
The main thing about the game is that, as you fought the opposing enemies, your armor/shield would gradually deteriorate and pieces of armor would actually fall off.

The game was insane at visual quality for its time. I'm pretty sure it was extreamly violent and sporting buckets of bloods.

Also, I seem to remember the your character along with the enemy were taking much of the screen. Big guys hacking at each others basically.

Gladiator?

VideoMan said:

Wow thanks, that was exactly it. Guess my memory wasn't soo good about the year of release. It looked soo rad back then. I had a very high resolution extreamly realistic graphic picture in my mind. looking back at screenshots, it looks like a NES game lol.
Thanks VideoMan.

Oh and this is a very informative site about the game :
http://www.bookrags.com/wiki/Gladiator_(arcade_game)

And some interesting tibits that might explain why I remembered this game soo vividly :
In the original Japanese version of the game, and in the first U.S. release (entitled "Golden Castle"), the female enemy Irene's bare breasts were exposed when her breastplate was removed. In the final U.S. release, a bikini top was added to obscure them. The game is also notable because the main character's sprite is half the height of the screen, which is much larger than the sprites in most arcade games released at the time.

eso76

Mareg said:
Gladiator?

Wow thanks, that was exactly it.

i checked because it sounded exactly like Great Gurianos, and it appears it's just another title for the same game.

(i'm just pointing this out so that you guys know my guess was correct too ! )

eso76

Undeux said:
I've been trying to remember the name of this one somewhat early PS2 game... it was an FPS, probably Japanese, with some martial arts (as well as guns) and maybe some magic-type of abilities. It was kind of futuristic, and I remember that it had a lot of hype, then it came out and kind of sucked. I don't really remember much more than that, except that seeing the trailer for Mirror's Edge kind of reminded me of it a few months back.

you sure it was first person ? because otherwise that makes me think of Oni. Not japanese despite the fake anime style, though

Hobbun

There's a game I have been trying to remember for years.

It was an arcade shooter from the 80's. You pretty much stayed at the bottom of the screen and shot upwards (like Galaga). But it wasn't in space. The background was a reddish hue (I believe) and one of the goals of the game was to build a bridge to span across the screen. I remember the devil was related to it somehow.

Hobbun said:
There's a game I have been trying to remember for years.

It was an arcade shooter from the 80's. You pretty much stayed at the bottom of the screen and shot upwards (like Galaga). But it wasn't in space. The background was a reddish hue (I believe) and one of the goals of the game was to build a bridge to span across the screen. I remember the devil was related to it somehow.
Satan's Hollow?

Hobbun

Wired All Wrong said:
Satan's Hollow?

That could be it, but I am not sure. I would need to see gameplay pics to be sure.

Unfortunately, anytime I try to do a search for pics on the game, the sites are blocked because I am at work.

bengraven

Damn, no one?

I swear I'm not dreaming this dinosaur game up, it was one of the last "new" games my local arcade got before closing in 2002.

mujun

Undeux said:

breakdown?

mujun

JodyAnthony said:
it was an old top-down racer-type arcade game, it looked kind of like spy-hunter, but it wasn't spy-hunter. however i think it did involve shooting.

the cabinet i played it on had a steering wheel and gas pedal. it wasn't a sit-down machine.

I am absolutely positive it wasn't spy hunter, but it was similar.

I remember playing it around 1990 but I know it was older than that.

the speed rumbler?

eso76

bengraven said:
Damn, no one?

I swear I'm not dreaming this dinosaur game up, it was one of the last "new" games my local arcade got before closing in 2002.

the only fairly recent games i know involving dinosaurs i know of are

dinosaur king
king of jurassic

from Sega and Taito, but one is some kind of card battle game and the other has a very peculiar control device you would have mentioned.
Unless it's dinosaur king which i doubt, the game is definately not from Sega, like you previously mentioned. try remembering something else, and was it 2d or 3d ? side scrolling ?

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I remember this old game on the... Atari? I think. It's a first-person dungeon crawly type (not grid-based I'm sure, it was all caverns) Anyway, the only way I can describe it is possibly due to it giving me my first ever game-related scare;

As I was walking along I could hear this low, constant noise, almost like a deep rumbling. As I keep going along the rumbling gets louder and louder. I walk into one room where it's at its loudest, turn around and there is a GINORMOUS dragon sat there staring at me, scaring the everliving bejeebus out of me. It never attacked until you walked past a certain point in the room where it jumped to life and initiated the fight. I'm certain it wasn't turn-based either.

The next stage ended with a similar dragon fight but the dragon had a much scarier face on it, and much more powerful attacks.

Sorry, that's really all I can remember of the game. Any ideas?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
SovanJedi said:
Sorry, that's really all I can remember of the game. Any ideas?

More than enough - it's The Eidolon.

And yeah, the dragon proximity warning still haunts me to this day.

Top Bottom