• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

Poorly. I mean, nobody's buying that the show is called "Supergirl" for any reason other than that this is a pre-existing character. As the producers said: “She’s Supergirl because she’s Supergirl." What happened in the first episode is that Kara had a perfectly reasonable complaint and a fictional character shut it down by saying that she didn't have a problem with it and she's the boss so that's that. I think it's totally understandable that someone who has no prior attachment to or even knowledge of the character would object to suddenly seeing a female version of Superman being called "Supergirl".

Yeah pretty much. It it fine when Kara is portrayed as a teen, but I am always weirded out by a grown ass woman being called girl.

Ducarmel

Kryptonians are much weaker than their comic counterparts in this universe, just have to accept it. They do appear to be weak to explosions and surprise attacks specifically.

I'm curious, is it because they are susceptible to concussions?

I guess that would make sense just because their bodies are not damaged from the explosion it would not prevent their brain from bouncing around their skulls several times, which would lead to them being temporarily concussed.

Research show that soldiers who experienced and live through explosion suffer cte because of concussions from explosions.

It would be an interesting story if Superman suffered CTE as he got older from years of taking blows to the head.

But why only Kryptonians do other cosmic beings have some dampening effect protecting their brains?

So, as soon as we find some way to cross Supergirl-verse into the Arrow-verse, we may have an opportunity to have Dean Cain, Brandon Routh and this new Supes in a show together.

That would be so lit.

Yeah. That would be fantastic fanservice.

When did Nathan Drake become Superman?

Kidding. But this wink felt Drake Ish

Haha

Preach

This is the big, glaring flaw of the show compared to Flash and Arrow. Let's hope they fix it.

Completely agree, the show has a lot of potential and the premiere was great, now the one thing that's still missing to elevate it the rest of the way is a really standout villain performance.

This. It's not fair at all to compare the two. Clearly this Supergirl's version has been operating for over 10 years. It also seems like they have an advantage of incorporating some of the Christoper Reeves Superman history into the character from the start to give an instant and familiar history. That's actually a really smart decision they made. I would argue Cavil's Superman isn't one that doesn't have those qualities. He just dealt with events we haven't seen another live action Supermen deal with. I can't wait until that new Superman movie so this can finally stop.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A lot of people want a fully formed and experienced Superman. Seeing him grow into that version is something people have a hard time accepting or allowing to happen. The praise for Tyler's version (+10 years active and all the advantages it has) and the again crapping on Cavil's is an example of that.

Yup.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Just catching up on this thread as I just watched the premiere. It was good - but I was confused by the Jimmy/Kara portion where he all of a sudden says something changed. It felt like I missed a scene or something???? Has that already been covered in the thread?

Platy

The Jimmy news will totally turn the show into Sailor Moon xD

Also, loved the Super Telepathy joke xD

And yes, best live action version of Superman currently

What was the name of that guy at the end? Nutella? Nutello?

Metallo, classic Superman villain

tim1138

I really enjoyed the premiere, they did a nice job using Superman without making him the focus (I was afraid he was going to dominate the show with Kara just kind there). I'm not disappointed by Kara and James not being a couple at all, James always came across as a bit creepy last season and it's ok to have a lady lead character who isn't pining away for someone...
Plus we all know she's gonna end up with Brainiac 5 when the Legion shows up

Forgot about doing this one yesterday :p

gueeyBR.gif

that was nice. honestly not seeing the "wow the superman we deserve, fuck cavill" thing here but it was a good compromise between reeves' endearing and clumsy clark and something more modern.

dunno how long i'll stick around when supes bounces tho. the dynamic between him and Cara is already better than the rest of these lames in the show (aside from Cat of course, she's fantastic as well)

that was nice. honestly not seeing the "wow the superman we deserve, fuck cavill" thing here but it was a good compromise between reeves' endearing and clumsy clark and something more modern.

dunno how long i'll stick around when supes bounces tho. the dynamic between him and Kara is already better than the rest of these lames in the show (aside from Cat of course, she's fantastic as well)

Best way to put it. Maybe I am too burned on the dourness of the movie version of Superman that this was just such a big breath of fresh air that I am overreacting. But it felt good to have a Superman that seemed like a great guy again.

And I fixed your typo on Kara. :)

oh sorry man wasn't directly targeting your post, you weren't even being that blunt :D

just the overall sentiment that was in the other thread about the new superman a while ago.

oh sorry man wasn't directly targeting your post, you weren't even being that blunt :D

just the overall sentiment that was in the other thread about the new superman a while ago.

I didn't take it as targeting me at all, so no worries. However, I am already in love with this Superman/Clark and have been cold to the Cavill Snyderman interpretation since MoS came out. I have no doubt that Cavill could actually pull off the Superman that I want, but the well is already too damn poisoned by MoS and BvS for me.

Caught the second season premiere on CW's site and what a fun, silly romp of an episode that was! It also felt like a good starting point for anyone new to the show. In fact, I would recommend anyone interested to just start here, especially if you want to follow it week-to-week as it airs.

Definitely looking forward to more!

IconGrist

I didn't take it as targeting me at all, so no worries. However, I am already in love with this Superman/Clark and have been cold to the Cavill Snyderman interpretation since MoS came out. I have no doubt that Cavill could actually pull off the Superman that I want, but the well is already too damn poisoned by MoS and BvS for me.

Poisoned by what? It's just movies. If you didn't like MoS or BvS that's fine but if a good Superman movie comes out with a more traditional Superman (played by Cavill obviously) it isn't somehow worsened by MoS or BvS.

Good rating for the CW on Monday, was hoping it'd be a tad higher but it's not that far off from what the finale rating was on CBS despite much lower viewership from losing a lot of the 50+ people.

I doubt this Superman had the upbringing Synderman had which is the root of the problem. The Kents in MoS and BvS did not come off very well IMO.

Joni

I like that they pulled a Legends and just yanked the Kara/Jimmy romance when they realized it didn't work.
Yeah, too bad they didn't realize that last year. They have as much chemistry as her husband and her. But that makes three shows where they stopped the one true pairing. I would watch out if I was Iris.

*reads article*

Translation: We don't know how to write interesting subplots that don't involve people in costume. Or we don't think that the audience would enjoy subplots that don't involve characters in costume. That's cool though. You do you, Supergirl writers. Might as well go bonkers now that it's on The CW
It is true though, we don't care about it.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah, too bad they didn't realize that last year. They have as much chemistry as her husband and her. But that makes three shows where they stopped the one true pairing. I would watch out if I was Iris.

Nah they're doubling down on that.

Bluth54

Crossovers will be rare (for now). They share a universe but not a dimension.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/8/13210896/supergirl-arrowverse-cw-flash

I hope they do a Crisis on Infinite Earth type event soon so all the shows are in the same universe. I loved how on episode 2 of Flash
Flash went to speak with Felicity for a couple of minutes about the time travel issues he's having
and would like to see those sort of small crossovers start to happen with Supergirl.

Bluth54

God damnit he's a fine Superman. Like I don't know if he's the strongest actor (or had the best material) but he's at the very least likable.

Yeah he did a fine job as Superman. I hope they don't use him all the time though, maybe 5-8 episodes a year would be best.

I do hope he's in the 4 way Supergirl/Flash/Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow crossover this November.

Joni

Supergirl and Arrow can contend for that first place. Flash isn't the winner in any case this year. Which is good, I love a world where we have two great and one good season starters in the same universe.

^
LOL!

I hope they do a Crisis on Infinite Earth type event soon so all the shows are in the same universe. I loved how on episode 2 of Flash
Flash went to speak with Felicity for a couple of minutes about the time travel issues he's having
and would like to see those sort of small crossovers start to happen with Supergirl.

Yeah, we need them all together.

Forgot about doing this one yesterday :p

gueeyBR.gif

Them having a secret handshake was so great lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom