• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Trading Card Game |OT| Gotta Collect them all!

-sdp

Trying to get into the online game haven't really played it since it was in Beta form like 4 years ago. I just redeemed a bunch of boosters from physical ones but most of them are from rotated sets by now. The whole app is overwhelming, I wish it were easier to follow since it's pretty mature now from what it was when it was in beta.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, just so I'm clear: Generations isn't the Gen 1 reprints, right?

So, just so I'm clear: Generations isn't the Gen 1 reprints, right?
Generations has Fossil Slowpoke, Imakuni?, and the original Jungle Tauros art on XY Tauros' stats, but is otherwise modern-era cards.
Evolutions (out in November) is mostly Base Set/Gen 1 reprints/modifications with EXes and some other stuff.

Bane

Generations has Fossil Slowpoke, Imakuni?, and the original Jungle Tauros art on XY Tauros' stats, but is otherwise modern-era cards.
Evolutions (out in November) is mostly Base Set/Gen 1 reprints/modifications with EXes and some other stuff.

To be clear, Evolutions looks like the old cards just with new stats and whatnot? I've thought about putting a few decks together from the first couple of sets so this could be right up my alley.

To be clear, Evolutions looks like the old cards just with new stats and whatnot? I've thought about putting a few decks together from the first couple of sets so this could be right up my alley.
There's not a lot of stuff that can stand up to the current meta but yeah, they're mostly the same as the old cards. It's only a section of Base Set though, missing certain cards like Blastoise, Alakazam, and Venusaur. If you want to play with the old cards I'd just suggest the Gameboy game instead, the English one goes up to Fossil and if you bother with patching 2 from Japan it goes up to Team Rocket with their Extended Sheet cards as well.

Anony

almost every one i face is using a mewtwo/mega mewtwo ex deck
it's so annoying

i wish i can filter games, playing with people with all ex cards is annoying and the definition of pay2win

Card Boy

Banned
So i have opened 7 of my Steam Siege Elite Trainer Box Boosters out of 8 and i have nothing of value and just normal rares. On the 8th Booster pack i pull this baby.

62f1Ynx.jpg

It will pay for the box and then some.

MacAttack

So i have opened 7 of my Steam Siege Elite Trainer Box Boosters out of 8 and i have nothing of value and just normal rares. On the 8th Booster pack i pull this baby.

http://i.imgur.com/62f1Ynx.jpg[/img

It will pay for the box and then some.[/QUOTE]
Nice pull! I have been chasing that card so hard online. I'd love to get a set of four but I haven't even got one. :/

fenners

Big update to the online game. Old basic decks retired for new players. The Steam Siege Decks are now available for purchase. Ton of new voice over & bug fixes. If you launch it soon, you'll get a free mystery box as a thank you.

Big update to the online game. Old basic decks retired for new players. The Steam Siege Decks are now available for purchase. Ton of new voice over & bug fixes. If you launch it soon, you'll get a free mystery box as a thank you.

How soon? I'm on holiday at the moment.

Charizard-Pokemon-TCG-Evolutions-Base-Set.jpg

Not a fan of some of the font choices on the new one, but it's still pretty good. Wonder if they couldn't 100% accurately reproduce them because of some deal with Wizards.

Rellik

http://i.imgur.com/62f1Ynx.jpg[img]

It will pay for the box and then some.[/QUOTE]

Are there any sites or lists that can tell you how rare/common something is?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, if I want all the Gen 1 cards in Evolution, what do I do? Order a box?

Busaiku

There is no easy way to get everything.
A box will help, but you'll likely still miss out on many Ultra Rares and most Secret Rares.
But it's definitely the best way to pull as many as possible.

Firemind

A friend wanted to play some pokemon cards. So I whipped out my base set Rain Dance deck and schooled him. And now he bought a Pikachu Ex card online. That card is a basic with 130HP and does 30 damage for every heads for one energy. wtflol

Escargo

Haven't played the online game recently since rotation. I find it so hard to switch decks and get cards for standard other than from buying codes and trading packs for them.

Krammy

While not as fun as opening packs, the cheapest method is probably to get a complete set online. Otherwise you'll be buying a few boxes and singles to get all the ultra and secret rares, while getting stacks of unneeded commons/uncommons.

A friend wanted to play some pokemon cards. So I whipped out my base set Rain Dance deck and schooled him. And now he bought a Pikachu Ex card online. That card is a basic with 130HP and does 30 damage for every heads for one energy. wtflol

Power creep. It's been mentioned already, but the new base set cards have been rebalanced because of this issue.

Firemind

While not as fun as opening packs, the cheapest method is probably to get a complete set online. Otherwise you'll be buying a few boxes and singles to get all the ultra and secret rares, while getting stacks of unneeded commons/uncommons.

Power creep. It's been mentioned already, but the new base set cards have been rebalanced because of this issue.
That's a killer for any cross generational environment though.

More comparison shots, this time of the actual holo the American sets will be getting. It's not an exact match to the original holofoil paper, but it's pretty close. I would have been fine with cosmic but this is even better.

johnsmith

remember me
So I haven't played this since the 90s. If I wanted to start playing this casually with some nephews and cousins what should I buy?

So I haven't played this since the 90s. If I wanted to start playing this casually with some nephews and cousins what should I buy?
Theme decks, mostly. They're all usually balanced against each other without getting into the more advanced strategies that cost a lot to build. If you want to learn how to play in the first place they also have a half deck set with an instruction booklet called a Trainer Kit.

Card Boy

Banned
Theme decks, mostly. They're all usually balanced against each other without getting into the more advanced strategies that cost a lot to build. If you want to learn how to play in the first place they also have a half deck set with an instruction booklet called a Trainer Kit.

Yeah this or Battle Arena Decks as they contain 2 full 60 card decks and some promos.

Trainer Kit is defiantly the cheapest and best option.

-sdp

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, I've owned hundreds and hundreds of Base set 1 cards and yet when Legendary Collection came out I bought more of those than say Skyridge or whatever was the new set then which I only owned a few dozen cards of. Now I see new packaging in those old cards in the Evolutions sets and I want those instead of any newer card.

Charizard-Pokemon-TCG-Evolutions-Base-Set.jpg

Not a fan of some of the font choices on the new one, but it's still pretty good. Wonder if they couldn't 100% accurately reproduce them because of some deal with Wizards.

I wouldn't think so since this isn't the first time they've re-printed cards pretty much as is. They either don't have the actual files from back then and some newer liberties are taken which is why they aren't 100% accurate.

Nintendo are releasing some Mario/Pikachu crossover merchandise, and that includes some trading cards:

634e4e94f859989acf16ca3165fef29b4061fefe.jpg

c711a01025ff30c547128388f47f6267ce171be3.jpg

Either the piles of cards on the right of each image are not TCG cards, or they are and there's a large number of them, but they're illegal/unusable due to the backs.

Rellik

Will they be released directly through Nintendo or through the usual Pokemon card places? Or don't we know?

MacAttack

Nintendo are releasing some Mario/Pikachu crossover merchandise, and that includes some trading cards:

Either the piles of cards on the right of each image are not TCG cards, or they are and there's a large number of them, but they're illegal/unusable due to the backs.

Those would make nice sleeve art if these cards are playable and have the standard card backs. It looks like the deck box was made to fit sleeved cards.

It seems like in the last few weeks, it's become difficult to find Pokemon cards anywhere. I live in the UK, and in the last few days, I've been to various places that previously had plenty of cards only a few weeks ago (Toys R Us, Forbidden Planet, Tesco), and everywhere is completely sold out. I wonder why that is? What's changed in the last few weeks?

I just bought two booster boxes on eBay for £75 each though, which is a great deal.

Card Boy

Banned
I just discovered how good Battle Arena Deck Rayquaza vs Keldeo is.

tcg_battle_arena_decks_rayquaza_vs_keldeo_1_raw.jpg

The deck has some top quality cards in it that are used at high level play. The two VS Seeker cards alone have a lot of value and are worth like 10 bucks each.

Why? If you're suggesting that particular Blastoise would make Primarina too OP, there's already an XY series Blastoise with the same ability, but even better. Unlike the Base Set one which only let you attach Water Energy to Water Pokemon, the newer one lets you attach Water Energy to ANY Pokemon.
It's from Boundaries Crossed and got rotated out years ago, which is why I wanted the original back in the first place. Even thought it was an XY Blister "promo" it wasn't made legal in standard, probably because Japan didn't get it at the same time.

It's from Boundaries Crossed and got rotated out years ago, which is why I wanted the original back in the first place. Even thought it was an XY Blister "promo" it wasn't made legal in standard, probably because Japan didn't get it at the same time.

Oh; I see. I'm not really sure of the distinction between Standard and Expanded. I play Expanded Vs. games in the online game, and I saw it there.

Anyway, that Primalina looks outright broken to me. An attack that does 120 damage and discards an energy from any of the opponents Pokemon (meaning they can't even build one up on the bench), no strings attached? And 250HP on top of that? I understand that it has to be fully evolved, and also yields 2 prize cards if taken, but it still seems way too OP to me. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Card Boy

Banned
The Evolutions Pre-Event is sold out everywhere near my area. The 2 game shops I went to where packed! I'm kind of salty as the Charizard and Mewtwo cards are already getting bids of $60+ !!!!

The STAFF Evolutions cards are getting bids of $400+ on eBay.

Bii

The Evolutions Pre-Event is sold out everywhere near my area. The 2 game shops I went to where packed! I'm kind of salty as the Charizard and Mewtwo cards are already getting bids of $60+ !!!!

The STAFF Evolutions cards are getting bids of $400+ on eBay.

o_O

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=4311963

Toys R Us is having an event tomorrow, Sunday, October 30th from 2-4pm. You can get a free Charmander foil card and a 'Pokemon TCG collector's album'. The first 50 attendees will also get a Pokemon figure (looks like it's Pikachu or Meowth). I'll probably stop by to see if I can get the free card and maybe buy both Pikachu and Mewtwo theme decks and one of the Evolutions Elite Trainer Boxes if they're selling them.

Card Boy

Banned
o_O

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?categoryId=4311963

Toys R Us is having an event tomorrow, Sunday, October 30th from 2-4pm. You can get a free Charmander foil card and a 'Pokemon TCG collector's album'. The first 50 attendees will also get a Pokemon figure (looks like it's Pikachu or Meowth). I'll probably stop by to see if I can get the free card and maybe buy both Pikachu and Mewtwo theme decks and one of the Evolutions Elite Trainer Boxes if they're selling them.

I'm not American. I already got the Meoth and Pickchu one from Zing/EB Games AU here.

ebzing_promo.png

Is Evolutions officially out? My nearby Toys R Us is selling them, and I bought 20 booster packs. Opened 10 so far, and got a "classic" Charizard. Quite happy.

N.Domixis

Banned
I already prordered two evolution booster boxes, one to keep sealed and one to open. However, what are my chances to pull the rarest cards in theme decks? I haven't bought these in years, I am usually a single pack(9-11 card pack) buyer.

jwhit28

I already prordered two evolution booster boxes, one to keep sealed and one to open. However, what are my chances to pull the rarest cards in theme decks? I haven't bought these in years, I am usually a single pack(9-11 card pack) buyer.

Theme decks are prebuilt decks to play the game. The deck will always have the same cards with usually 1 or 2 rares no one highly values because you can just get them from the theme deck.

Top Bottom