• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Dabi

Speaking of Shadowfall, my latest twitter stalking of GG devs uncovered something interesting.

Steven der Heide, game director of KZSF used to list his twitter profile with Game Director. It's gone now.

Lead game designer on KZSF, Eric Boltes, one of SF's key leads now list himself as working on Horizon.

My read on this? RIP 2nd team , RIP Killzone franchise for the foreseeable future. Gonna be full on Horizon for the next 6+ years until time to start anew with another new IP or Killzone reboot.

I think some time ago they said Killzone would be on hold.

Speaking of Shadowfall, my latest twitter stalking of GG devs uncovered something interesting.

Steven der Heide, game director of KZSF used to list his twitter profile with Game Director. It's gone now.

Lead game designer on KZSF, Eric Boltes, one of SF's key leads now list himself as working on Horizon.

My read on this? RIP 2nd team , RIP Killzone franchise for the foreseeable future. Gonna be full on Horizon for the next 6+ years until time to start anew with another new IP or Killzone reboot.

Well that's interesting, maybe they're working on DLC instead?

TBH, even if there were a new Killzone, I wouldn't have expected it to be in the same vein as the earlier ones anyway because I don't think it's realistic for a studio to switch between making ~10 hour FPS campaigns+online modes and 30+ hour open world RPGs every few years. They're two completely different genres, with different workloads and staff requirements.

Dragun619

Honestly, don't think will ever see a new Killzone game developed by Guerilla Games any time soon, especially after they finally entered new territory for themselves with Horizon and all that.

Plus, Sony seems to be more open and interested in other genres than making another FPS game. Would actually be surprised if we see a Killzone/Resistance/New AAA FPS ip from Sony this gen.

Yeah but this likely confirms there won't be any 2nd project as well until needed.

I'm okay with this. Horizon is no doubt a huge project and they'll probably go straight into 3-4 years' development on the sequel. I can see most of the development side being busy with presumably some Horizon DLC until they're ready to launch into full production on the sequel.

Another read on this is well... WWS started off late last-gen wanting to build their studios to be multi-project/multi-team studios. Rather than investing in buying studios, they've attempted to put more money into existing studios.

I would say that initiative hasn't exactly turned out with glowing results.

ND's co-presidents talked about how difficult it was to hire the right staff to fully staff up two teams and that their flat structure means there is a lot of collaboration and it never makes full sense to completely silo off teams.

And in terms of actual results... ND came out the gate really strong with Uncharted 3 and TLoU as the result of their two-project approach.

But it's debatable that Uncharted 3... never really realised its full potential, given that key parts of UC1/2's talent was off working on TLoU, on top of its schedule. TLoU managed to deliver, but then we see Amy Hennig's Uncharted 4 end up in a situation where they basically cancelled that project, and had Bruce/Neil step in to reboot that project.

They still managed to crank out great games, but it's hard to not see that some distillation of talent and resources ended up costing UC4 to be in a weird position where it had to be rebooted.

Killzone Shadowfall and Horizon are another two situations, where Shadowfall's quality is not seen as highly as the best that GG can deliver, and the fact that Horizon has scored this well has also implications that Steven/Eric were not as experienced to take the mantle of the IP. Steven was a new director, as well.

Suffice to say, Stig Asmussen's new IP being cancelled.... God of War Ascension being not so great are SSM's example.

Media Molecule and San Diego also hasn't been exactly successful at handling two projects.

It's been a difficult lesson for WWS in terms of stretching their development skills to working on multiple games.

Eggbok

Was it ever confirmed if the first Death Stranding trailer was using the SuckerPunch engine? If so that makes me even more excited to see what SP is working on.

Media Molecule and San Diego also hasn't been exactly successful at handling two projects.

It's been a difficult lesson for WWS in terms of stretching their development skills to working on multiple games.

Didn't Mm make Tearaway and/or Tearaway Unfolded while also developing Dreams?

MCD250

Top notch thread, this. I've been lurking it in hopes of new bits of information since before I was a member. I think I'll subsctibe to it.

AntMurda

Was it ever confirmed if the first Death Stranding trailer was using the SuckerPunch engine? If so that makes me even more excited to see what SP is working on.

Didn't Mm make Tearaway and/or Tearaway Unfolded while also developing Dreams?

Tearaway Unfolded was done by Tarsier Studios.

Shredderi

Yeah, I have enjoyed all of their games despite the open worlds rather than because of them.

You said it man. I think they've been doign pretty good despite the lackluster open worlds but I think they would really reach their potential if they made a more linear game. They can use their ability to make fun to control games in more linear games as well with the added bonus of having (most likely) better story beats and pacing to go with it. Their open worlds have so far been detrimental to their games and I don't blame them. They simply lack the manpower to fill those open worlds properly with good content.

So, what are the chances of a new Until Dawn being shown this year? If Supermassive really have stepped away from the series then I think Sony should get Climax to handle it, as they (apparently) did a good job with the psychological elements in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. And I still think they should go with the anthology approach with a new setting and a completely new cast (except maybe Peter Stormare in each game playing a different role). It might be a bit soon this E3, but I'd love to see it get revealed this year for a Halloween 2018 release.

The first game seemed to be a pretty decent success compared to expectations, so hopefully there will be a sequel.

cheesekao

So, what are the chances of a new Until Dawn being shown this year? If Supermassive really have stepped away from the series then I think Sony should get Climax to handle it, as they (apparently) did a good job with the psychological elements in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. And I still think they should go with the anthology approach with a new setting and a completely new cast (except maybe Peter Stormare in each game playing a different role). It might be a bit soon this E3, but I'd love to see it get revealed this year for a Halloween 2018 release.

The first game seemed to be a pretty decent success compared to expectations, so hopefully there will be a sequel.
I honestly think Until Dawn should be a one and done thing. The first game had a novel premise that worked out but I don't think a 2nd one will have the same pull.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
My god that train wreck!! Make it a WRPG with character customization and dialogue trees so it's not in the exact same lane as Red Dead and we have a winner

was about to say this give it rpg elements because if you dont it will be steam rolled by Read Dead

MCD250

The concept art sort reminds me of the train yard sections in The Order.

The name is...extremely curious. I remember hearing a while back (might have been in this forum, even) about Sony trademarking it, but it doesn't exactly scream 'western', at least to me.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
From reading several posts on this page, I have a few comments of my own.

- Really hoping that Days Gone is a damn good game and a success as it's my number one most wanted game from Sony's first party studios including Horizon. Don't want to see Sony Bend get shut down after one PS4 game. Even if it bombs, they should get one more shot to develop a PS4/PS5 game.

- Dreams is the game that I think will bomb hard as it has nightmare written all over it and if it does, Sony should sell/shut down Media Molecule simply because they never seem to want to make a game and instead prefer to make tools for the gamer to make the game themselves.

- Sony should have kept GG Cambridge and let them continue Killzone. Franchise continues and being from a different studio, could have been like a "refresh" to the franchise.

- If Sony ends up releasing God of War IV and/or Detroit: Become Human this year, I would stay away from showing Sucker Punch's new IP. I would wait until PSX in December or E3 2018 especially if it's a ways off which it most likely is.

- The Witcher 3's combat is the weak spot but it's still at the very least good. What hurts the combat the most in my opinion is being in a "locked stance" during combat. Nevertheless, still this generation's best RPG by far and can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077 and afterwards, The Witcher 4 which should be a guarantee. Playing as Ciri would be awesome with no "witcher senses" ability and being able to travel to other planets and such. Could be an awesome fantasy/sci-fi RPG all rolled into one.

Killzone 2 = 91 Metacritic
Killzone 3 = 84 Metacritic
Killzone - Shadow Fall = 73 Metacritic (a bit of a rush job here, because it had to be ready for the PS4 launch).

It's not like Guerrilla Games doesn't know how to make great games. They made great games before.
Why didn't I play Killzone 2&3? :(
Sony, please make a remaster of them!

MCD250

Why didn't I play Killzone 2&3? :(
Sony, please make a remaster of them!
I can't speak to KZ3 as I never played it, but KZ2 is straight baller. Highly recommended if you ever get a chance to play it.

It's nice to see Guerrilla back at the top of their game with Horizon.

The God

From reading several posts on this page, I have a few comments of my own.

- Really hoping that Days Gone is a damn good game and a success as it's my number one most wanted game from Sony's first party studios including Horizon. Don't want to see Sony Bend get shut down after one PS4 game. Even if it bombs, they should get one more shot to develop a PS4/PS5 game.

- Dreams is the game that I think will bomb hard as it has nightmare written all over it and if it does, Sony should sell/shut down Media Molecule simply because they never seem to want to make a game and instead prefer to make tools for the gamer to make the game themselves.

- Sony should have kept GG Cambridge and let them continue Killzone. Franchise continues and being from a different studio, could have been like a "refresh" to the franchise.

- If Sony ends up releasing God of War IV and/or Detroit: Become Human this year, I would stay away from showing Sucker Punch's new IP. I would wait until PSX in December or E3 2018 especially if it's a ways off which it most likely is.

- The Witcher 3's combat is the weak spot but it's still at the very least good. What hurts the combat the most in my opinion is being in a "locked stance" during combat. Nevertheless, still this generation's best RPG by far and can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077 and afterwards, The Witcher 4 which should be a guarantee. Playing as Ciri would be awesome with no "witcher senses" ability and being able to travel to other planets and such. Could be an awesome fantasy/sci-fi RPG all rolled into one.
Wow. So what were LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2?

The Pope

Gnommegedon is the wost name I have ever heard. Also add dialogue options and quest make it more like an WRPG or else it will be Steam rolled by RDR.

What do we make of this information?

Seems like nothing to me. Three different pieces of news stitched together to become a "rumour." We already knew Sucker Punch are working on an open world game thanks to Shinobi and basic logic (their last five games were open world, seven if you include FoB and FL). We already knew SIEA trademarked "Gnomageddon" two years ago. And we already knew about those pieces of art a year ago.

Wow. So what were LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2?

Fake games.

Suggestions Media Molecule are in trouble or should be closed down (ugh, gross), seems to me like they just haven't been paying attention. They're one of the studios I'm not worried about. LBP1 and 2 were huge successes and I think Sony are happy to let them do their thing. I mean, when Kaz Hirai's calling you to design his CES conference, I think you've probably got some friends in high places.

I think that's a terrible name (I'm not even sure how to pronounce it), but great art and we can always do with more Western games, I'd be very interested if it's true. Though didn't that art leak ages ago?
That probably won't be the final name. I believe Days Gone was originally called Dead Don't Ride.

MCD250

That probably won't be the final name. I believe Days Gone was originally called Dead Don't Ride.
At least Dead Don't Ride made a certain amount of sense within thr context of the game. But Gnomaggedon for a western is just straight up weird.

But yes, it's true that it's not necessarily the final name. Heck, it may not even be *intended* to be the final name.

SamNW

Shinobi claimed that Days Gone would be called Dead Don't Ride, even up until the day before E3, if I remember correctly. Now this nonsensical trademark. I wonder if Sony is trying to keep a lid on info getting out by using different names internally, even registering those marks. I doubt it, but it doesn't seem totally implausible.

Floody

Shinobi claimed that Days Gone would be called Dead Don't Ride, even up until the day before E3, if I remember correctly. Now this nonsensical trademark. I wonder if Sony is trying to keep a lid on info getting out by calling things by different names internally, registering those marks. I doubt it, but it doesn't seem totally implausible.

I'm pretty sure Dead Don't Ride was trademarked too, could just be a nonsensical name to throw any sort of hint off. I don't think it proves it's a Western either though, those art pieces could just be from a cancelled VR game as far as we know.

SamNW

I'm pretty sure Dead Don't Ride was trademarked too, could just be a nonsensical name to throw any sort of hint off. I don't think it proves it's a Western either though, those art pieces could just be from a cancelled VR game as far as we know.
Right—that's what I was theorizing. Given "Dead Don't Ride" and "Gnomageddon," it seems possible that they're registering/using fake names for games until they're ready to be revealed. That theory will hold a lot more water if nothing by the name of "Gnomageddon" is ever released.

As for the art, I have no idea what it is. I expect we'll get more Sucker Punch leaks relatively soon, though.

Icolin

Banned
Gotta leave that space for ND's Savage Starlight. Westerns need some love too.

If it is a western though, I'd definitely prefer it to be something more modern, like No Country for Old Men and Hell or High Water.

There's a lot of different styles, periods and places that can be explored in the western genre, so I'd be disappointed if it was set in a similar time and done in a similar vein of Red Dead, given that there's so many possibilities within the genre, most of which haven't been explored in video games, other than Red Dead or Call of Juarez and the like.

Nope, Dead Don't Ride wasn't trademarked. They did register a domain under that name though.

I don't think Sony typically trademark names they don't use, so I'd lean more towards thinking Gnomageddon is Pixelopus' next game or something. Maybe even a cancelled project, seeing as they registered it two years ago.

Floody

If it is a western though, I'd definitely prefer it to be something more modern, like No Country for Old Men and Hell or High Water.

There's a lot of different styles, periods and places that can be explored in the western genre, so I'd be disappointed if it was set in a similar time and done in a similar vein of Red Dead, given that there's so many possibilities within the genre, most of which haven't been explored in video games, other than Red Dead or Call of Juarez and the like.

Thinking on it some more I really badly want a sci-fi western game, no focus on space exploration though or even aliens or anything like that, it's just a western game that has far future mostly rundown tech, to give it some variety and make it stand out from RDR. I think being too similar to RDR would hurt more than help.

Nope, Dead Don't Ride wasn't trademarked. They did register a domain under that name though.

I don't think Sony typically trademark names they don't use, so I'd lean more towards thinking Gnomageddon is Pixelopus' next game or something. Maybe even a cancelled project, seeing as they registered it two years ago.

Must have mixed them up, I just remember there was definitely something to prove it was real. Thanks!

SamNW

Sony should sell/shut down Media Molecule simply because they never seem to want to make a game and instead prefer to make tools for the gamer to make the game themselves.
I will never understand this mindset, and I say so as someone who generally has relatively little interest in Media Molecule's games. I think it's great that Sony continues to house and fund projects like Tearaway and Dreams—games that seek to innovate, to do something new and interesting within the medium.

Floody

I fully expect last of us 2 the true 4K remstaer to be nds ps5 launch title.

Probably, but the Savage Starlight dream will never die until it's a reality, that name is just way too good to be just a comic in The Last of Us universe. I do think ND will go back to a 2 team studio though and might have something ready within the first 2 years of the PS5.

Edit: I agree ^
Though also baseless, just assuming Straley will get his own team when he returns and get to working on making ND's new IP to take Uncharteds spot.

Major AAA games by Sony don't get early trademarks. As of 2015, they've been careful with trademarks nowadays to only surface them after reveal.

Gnommegedon is the wost name I have ever heard. Also add dialogue options and quest make it more like an WRPG or else it will be Steam rolled by RDR.

I don't believe they would be stupid enough to launch a Triple-A game with a name that bad. It sounds stupid, and I think they'd shut out a large audience by giving it such a dumb name.

Top Bottom