• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Viewers Loved Sony Japan’s PlayStation Press Conference

Prelude.

No sign of Freedom Wars outside of that 4 second clip from the very first trailer left me with blue balls.
Yeah, it's been kind of a bummer. But they probably want to let God Eater 2 and Soul Sacrifice Delta get out of the way before focusing on it.

RyoonZ

Banned
I'm very satisfied with the conference too, games like Lily Bergamo, Phantasy Star Nova, Yakuza Ishin, Deep Down and Natural Doctrine are games I like. They still have TGS Conference right? I hope Sony and 3rd party still have some games that are not announced.

adixon

Plus, we have now seen the birth of the "collaboration battle" genre.

Kind of amazing how long it took for it to be called a genre (unless it actually already has a genre name, and I just missed it). In the west, any game as popular as monster hunter is in Japan would already have an accepted genre name and a whole industry of spinoffs at this point.

Kind of amazing how long it took for it to be called a genre (unless it actually already has a genre name, and I just missed it). In the west, any game as popular as monster hunter is in Japan would already have an accepted genre name and a whole industry of spinoffs at this point.

That was a joke actually. I'm not sure if they're actually called "collaboration battle" games, but the translator called them that every time they were mentioned.

I'm very satisfied with the conference too, games like Lily Bergamo, Phantasy Star Nova, Yakuza Ishin, Deep Down and Natural Doctrine are games I like. They still have TGS Conference right? I hope Sony and 3rd party still have some games that are not announced.

Now PS4's officially announced in Japan, so it's up to 3rd party to show their own games.

I love to see some games only on PS4/Xbox one.

I'm kind of surprised at this.

I thought they'd be more pissed that they have to wait till next year for PS4.

They don't care. It's Vita land for them and there was a slew of Vita games announced. Plus the Vita TV is probably something their interested in as it lets them use there already large established Vita game collection and PSP game accessibility on their home HDTV's.

adixon

That was a joke actually. I'm not sure if they're actually called "collaboration battle" games, but the translator called them that every time they were mentioned.

The fact that they're trying to call these games something aside from "monster hunter clone" which has been neogaf parlance for years and years now is what I was thinking about. But now I'm realizing that they probably have been giving the genre various names for years in Japan, it's just that the games aren't important enough here to warrant thinking of them as a new genre, for most people.

Into

Unlike the absolute shitty PS3 launch line up for Japanese crowd, where they had very few games, this time they are promising more titles, a more robust selection of games that appeal to that market. Instead of thinking the market will care about Resistance: Fall of Man

For PS3, they came off as arrogant "people will buy this thing no matter what we put up, who cares!", now they realized that does not work and actually put some effort into gathering a more robust selection of games, and not forcing western titles onto the market

Rightly so. That conference was for them. They showed the kind of games they like. The difference between them and us is much and surprising lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

Sony seems really clever this time around, they know that japan is going to be the easiest win for consoles due to Nintendo fumbling the ball and Microsoft not being a thing there. Sucks to be japanese and get the tier 2 treatment but obviously EU and US are far more urgent to gain market share this time.

They don't care. It's Vita land for them and there was a slew of Vita games announced. Plus the Vita TV is probably something their interested in as it lets them use there already large established Vita game collection and PSP game accessibility on their home HDTV's.

This.

If all Sony announced was PS4 games and none for Vita, they would've been pissed.

Yet if all Sony announced was Vita games and none for PS4, they would've been fine with it. Maybe even happy.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

I love how you people think that when Sony gave a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why the system was being delayed.

Since there is no BC either with the PS4 dropping it out with a bunch of western titles would have been the most idiotic move they could have pulled, instead of waiting for the domestic ones to be finished for launch.

SCEJ sucks at presentation, but the announcements were quite nice.

I preferred this presentation to any of Sony's others. Very little bullshit and a strong focus on games. Kawano started off by showing the new Vita model and then went into like 20 minutes straight of showing games. Then did the same with the PS3 and followed that up with the PS4. It was very well paced for something that ended up being two hours long.

I preferred this presentation to any of Sony's others. Very little bullshit and a strong focus on games. Kawano started off by showing the new Vita model and then went into like 20 minutes straight of showing games. Then did the same with the PS3 and followed that up with the PS4. It was very well paced for something that ended up being two hours long.

yeah, a shitload of content, how long is that ps3 montage going for? it felt like forever, I thought it was 60 minute press conf, and time is running out and I just keep hoping this ps3 montage would stop and get to PS4 already, lol

Sakura

Why are people always acting as though Japanese gamers don't care about consoles? PS3, Wii, and Wii U, all have pretty similar sales in Japan relative to other major markets. Just because the Xbox doesn't sell in Japan doesn't mean they don't like consoles period.

yeah, a shitload of content, how long is that ps3 montage going for? it felt like forever, I thought it was 60 minute press conf, and time is running out and I just keep hoping this ps3 montage would stop and get to PS4 already, lol

Yeah, the PS3 montage had to go on a good 5 minutes or so. But I guess they were happy about the console given that they were bragging about how much of the console market they own with it in Japan.

I think their presentation in general did a better job of focusing on all three of the platforms than Sony's other shows. PS4 was obviously the star of the show, but they showed enough for Vita and PS3 owners to not be disappointed.

qko

Do viewers that watch a Nintendo Direct enjoy them? I'm positive they do. A Nico Nico survey is as accurate as YouTube commentators views on African Americans.

Yeah, the PS3 montage had to go on a good 5 minutes or so. But I guess they were happy about the console given that they were bragging about how much of the console market they own with it in Japan.

I think their presentation in general did a better job of focusing on all three of the platforms than Sony's other shows. PS4 was obviously the star of the show, but they showed enough for Vita and PS3 owners to not be disappointed.

and they expertly manipulate my emotion during the ps4 segment, they start doing the ps4 montage and it's all western games aside some occasional moe game, I was pretty depressed by that, I thought it was all over, console is dead in Japan etc, then they start bringing out guest developer, thank god for that. Yakuza Ishin and Deep Down really delivered for me, also interested with some other game like Suda game etc.

Unlike the absolute shitty PS3 launch line up for Japanese crowd, where they had very few games, this time they are promising more titles, a more robust selection of games that appeal to that market. Instead of thinking the market will care about Resistance: Fall of Man

For PS3, they came off as arrogant "people will buy this thing no matter what we put up, who cares!", now they realized that does not work and actually put some effort into gathering a more robust selection of games, and not forcing western titles onto the market
PS4's Japanese launch lineup is by far the greatest launch lineup sony has ever had for any console ever. Japan's PS1, 2, and 3 lineups were abysmal over there.

WeakerYouth

Neo Member
I can only imagine how much more they would have loved it if they got the translated version. They missed out on something truly special.

Top Bottom