• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Gameplay

broony

I've watched the new gameplay videos a few times and I'll try and put a few thoughts down and some constructive criticism. I'm doing this on a phone so apologies for any shitty typing.

Overall I think the seven minute Devils Lair video missed some opportunities. As others have said in this thread, I don't think showcasing the game to its potential. The game is billed as this huge world, with multiple paths, many activities and lots to do. Simply by explaining that this video is showing a strike, that is a small concentrated mission that makes up just a small part of the game would have helped. This isn't campaign, this isn't a large public event, this is a short, fun, side mission designed for three players to spend half an hour playing together. This is a focused mostly funnelled run through of a much greater area. This is explained in the articles that are accompanying the videos, but the video itself is what most people will see. I was also hoping to see a little at the start of the video of selecting the mission on the map, to help better explain that this is just one activity amongst many other options.

As a result, the gameplay is in quite tight spaces with a mix of corridors and small arena areas, different to what we have been told of large explorable spaces. When you know the context of the mission then this looks cool, however after hearing about the explorable world in the game it isn't what I expected to see.

A few people have criticised the music. I am not sure but it seems to me like the music has been overdubbed over the gameplay. It doesn't seem like the systems Bungie used in the halo games for controlling when a score is brought in, ramped up and then faded away have been used here, probably because this is an edit of a playthrough and obviously the music wouldn't flow when each edit occurs. As well as the music the sound design is a mixed bag,. Overall I love it but some of the weapons seem to lack the beefy punch you might expect. In 7.1 with a subwoofer it may sound completely different but watching through youtube some weapons sound underpowered.

The A.I. has also been pointed out in the thread to seem to be lacking, with some enemies just standing there and taking hits. I am not sure about this. There are plenty of other individual moments where enemies are dodging about all over the place, taking cover and advancing. I think what may be deceiving here is that at least in the first few skirmishes, there are multiple factions already fighting each other when the guardians enter in. I would assume the AI is concentrating on the fight they are in when the guardians move up on them and do not react straight away to the player. Added to this is the fact that there are three players fighting the enemies. Often when it looks like an enemy is not responding to the player it seems like they are responding to one of the other fireteam, they are concentrating on someone else. This happened in Halo coop as well. The number of friendly players outnumber the A.I. and obliterate them.

I am guessing the difficulty was on the lower end as the guardians are quickly able to take the bad guys down, just like Halo, on the harder difficulties, when the enemies last longer they have more time to show what they can do. There seemed to be plenty of variety in the fallen and hive though, so as some previews have mentioned, each playthrough will be different.

The game though looks stunning to me graphically. I love the art style and the vibrancy of the worlds. Everything looks bright and crisp and the explosions and particles look amazing. It looks like there will be plenty of environments to just sit and take in, something Bungie was always really good at. I just wish, as others had said, we got to see another strike on another world, or even another environment on earth, but I guess they are hesitant to give too much away too early.

The environment, although confined in places look great. Visually interesting and as playspaces they look a lot of fun. Lots of different ways to move around the spaces and lots of different approaches to take.

The gunplay looks spot on. Much like Halo, it looks to be possible to control your shots, pick enemies off and move to evade when needed. The added movement abilities look a lot of fun to master and work out how best to use. The supers look really cool, and seem to give that payoff that you would expect. All of the previews I have seen have said the same which is really encouraging. I am already sold on the universe and if the "30 second of fun" are there then that is all I need.

Overall I still just a hyped, but I still think others are going to need the beta to convince them of how good the game actually is and also to understand the scope and scale of the activities on offer. I think this game is pretty much all I am going to need for months and maybe years after release.

I would advise anyone who hasn't already to watch these two extra videos, that give some idea of the other environments and gameplay that make up the bigger picture, even though these are still just restricted to one part of the earth environment.

Wanted to write more on what I think is generally positive stuff but have to get back to work.

Flying about on a sparrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZRtkGiuxhw

Patrol gameplay (public event)
http://kotaku.com/i-played-45-minute...ori-1568127899 (halfway down the article, search for b-roll)

broony

Server architecture and networking have nothing to do with it, are they still using TCP and UDP packets? Yes? then no problem on the networking side of things.

The server architecture is almost certainly cloud based and easily scalable, servers provide responses that won't differ between clients (platforms). It's up to the client to interpret the response from the server and on consoles they probably have to go through the platform specific API. On Windows this barrier is non-existent.

But the platform API handles matchmaking, trueskill, friend requests, invites, lobbies, party systems and so on. Bungie will need to write all of that themselves for PC.

I will wait until the price goes down to $60.

134587_340.jpg

Doran902

http://kotaku.com/i-played-45-minute...ori-1568127899 (halfway down the article, search for b-roll)

oh wow, everything in that video just screams halo 3/ reach, like, everything, the way things die, the energy shiels, the lift, the drop ships, the alien cover that they use, the combat, animations

reminds me of the tsavo highway from halo 3, one of the covenant stations that are sitting around everywhere

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Kinda disappointed from the video. But still looking forward to this game, soundtrack should be amazing.

MysteryM

Have Bungie confirmed the framerate or resolution for the PS4 version? Is it 1080p @ 30fps?

I'm going to be picking up the xbox one version but just wanted to know what they were shooting for.

mcrommert

Banned
Okay i'm feeling a lot better about what they showed after having a night to sleep on it...looking at my own post history i got a bit worked out...here's to hoping its awesome

It should be 5 like Guild Wars 1. One/two are very limiting, thats like the biggest problem of character progression in Borderlands for me. Hell even 3 skills in ME 3 MP were limiting a lot.
Exactly. There cant be deep gameplay mechanics when noone is able to wisely use crowd control, slows/stuns/snares, debuffs/buffs, taunts or anything like that. Playing Halo coop or ME3 with friends is fun, but it never gave me the cooperative feel like an mmo because at the end its just a bunch of people doing damage to enemies all for themself

Lasty95

It's hard to know how they could explain it better though. They have noted that they haven't ever classified it as an MMO and tried to explain it as it is.

My guess would be that the aim of this footage was to reassure that Destiny is first and foremost a shooter, and put all those MMO rumours to rest.

Bizarrely it seems to have backfired somewhat and people are complaining 'it just looks like a shooter'.

I don't get it, I really don't. In the context of what we know about the game as a whole, and with what we know about Bungie, I'm hugely reassured from the footage we saw yesterday.

If anything they seem to be the victim of their own ambition, not being able to convey all the complexities of Destiny into a single 5 minute presentation.

Regardless, I'm enormously excited by this game. Since 343 killed The Chief, there's a Halo-shpaed hole in my heart and I reckon Destiny will fill it nicely.

Roll on the beta!

Wizman23

Banned
The finer points of the gameplay systems will be tweaked in Beta anyway.

I have a feeling when beta is out and people actually play the game and see what it is about the opinions will change pretty quick.

This generation is the most negative I have ever been a part of. Seems every game reveal almost so far has been ripe with negativity. People went apeshit over 2 button presses in a small The Order showcase

The beta is going to be nothing but a glorified demo considering how close it is to launch. Like the Titanfall demo, the purpose is going to be to make sure the network is up to snuff. Halo 3 and Reach both had beta's far enough out from launch where Bungie had time to implement changes but I can't see that happening with Destiny.

Pop

Ugh. Gamestop upgraded exclusive vehicle, but why faster than the normal game? Why not just a different skin? Or is this not going to be PvP so that kind of advantage doesn't matter?

The vehicle will still be available in game. Just gotta work for it.

I really hope they choose to showcase the campaign soon. While I will enjoy the strikes and raids, the main draw for me is the campaign. Perhaps if they had made the clip of a player finishing a SP quest, then choosing a strike from the map (or however it happens) then meeting up with friends to form the team, then showing a part of the strike - I would have been more satiated. I like the idea of being able to jump in and out of CO-OP/SP/MP, but they honestly need to show me how it all weaves together - and the depth of the SP campaign. All the reveal yesterday did for me was confirm that yes, Bungie knows how to do MP. My assumption is that they could have left the BETA (Demo) to speak for itself with regards to MP.

Bungie, imo, are making the same errs that Sucker Punch did with inFamous : Second Son, where they were basically keeping 95% of the game hidden till launch.

Looking at all Second Son previews, teasers, etc prior to the Fetch mission gameplay they showed, I cannot fault anyone if they thought inFamous :SS was a linear game instead of an open-world game.

Sucker Punch was practically hiding the entirety of Seattle from our eyes till the game shipped. Heck, even Delsin's motivation as a character was hidden from us. Since when has a story-focused game hid even the most basic main character motivation throughout the entire marketing campaign?

Flipyap

Okay, what the hell is going on here? First the B-roll, and now an advertisement for a retailer exclusive pre-order bonus turns out to be a much more effective trailer than the main attraction of this supposed media blowout.
Pre-order bonus ads are supposed to be gross things you shake your head at, not something to rewatch multiple times because it's more informative than a 7 minute gameplay walkthrough. That 30 second space bike ride covered more ground than all the footage we got in a year. Bonkers.

broony

Okay, what the hell is going on here? First the B-roll, and now an advertisement for a retailer exclusive pre-order bonus turns out to be a much more effective trailer than the main attraction of this supposed media blowout.
Pre-order bonus ads are supposed to be gross things you shake your head at, not something to rewatch multiple times because it's more informative than a 7 minute gameplay walkthrough. That 30 second space bike ride covered more ground than all the footage we got in a year. Bonkers.

Exactly what I think. If it was possible to do in the current build, I would loved for them to have the map displayed with you picking to run the strike, show the other two guardians joining your game, show the spaceship cutscene, show the guardians arriving and riding to the destination on their sparrow, then start the 7 minute gamplay. Would have worked much better to give an overview of what this portion of the game is about.

monome

wow. my buddy played the pre-alpha. Said it feels like Halo (in a positive non marketing way). Hope that makes your day better.

Exactly what I think. If it was possible to do in the current build, I would loved for them to have the map displayed with you picking to run the strike, show the other two guardians joining your game, show the spaceship cutscene, show the guardians arriving and riding to the destination on their sparrow, then start the 7 minute gamplay. Would have worked much better to give an overview of what this portion of the game is about.

it's one video.
come on... let them keep some stuff for E3, the beta, etc...

plus you know it's possible to do as you said, and you have visual proof to satisfy your potential doubt. much better than tons of "sexy" reveals than end up being illusions.

ElyrionX

Just watched this in 1080p:

Two things stand out:

1. The game looks and feels really like Halo, especially the gunplay. That's not a bad thing unless you're suffering from shooter fatigue like I am. Well, that's what I thought until those guys started doing some magic-like shit like teleports and lightning or whatever. I had no idea what was going on there. Would be nice if someone can enlighten me here.

2. Why does the game look worse than BF3 did on my current PC three years ago. I mean, Bungie was never known for their graphical prowess but it's still a next-gen console and I was expecting better. I was thinking of picking up a PS4 soon but PC gaming has been keeping me so busy (Diablo 3 and Dota 2) and after this underwhelming video, maybe I'll hold back.

I'm slightly more optimistic after reading this. Co-op games were where my brother and I called home for many years. An action sci-fi game made by the Halo developers with custom characters, expansive worlds, cooperative play, and topped off with Marty's music would normally make me squirm with excitement for months. Why does Bungie keep showing old russia and killing my hype with the same buzzwords and empty BWUs? :(

cripterion

Bungie, imo, are making the same errs that Sucker Punch did with inFamous : Second Son, where they were basically keeping 95% of the game hidden till launch.

Looking at all Second Son previews, teasers, etc prior to the Fetch mission gameplay they showed, I cannot fault anyone if they thought inFamous :SS was a linear game instead of an open-world game.

Sucker Punch was practically hiding the entirety of Seattle from our eyes till the game shipped. Heck, even Delsin's motivation as a character was hidden from us. Since when has a story-focused game hid even the most basic main character motivation throughout the entire marketing campaign?

You're joking right?
Let's not get ridiculous with the comparisons.

Sojgat

LOL, my thoughts exactly.

Really liked the music as well. So stupid.

monome

I
So why does Bungie keep showing old russia and killing my hype with the same buzzwords and empty BWUs? :(

it's called teasing. You keep it slow, focused, you let the tension grow, then you expand your efforts and finally on release Day you feel rrelieve people of 60$.

it's april. the game comes out in september. there is a major event in june. a beta planned.

Why do people bitch about the non spectacula reveals is beyond me...

Do you want them to spoil all the big setpieces? tell you how the game "ends"?

The other AAA games coming at the end of the year have revealed much less so far.

And Bungie taking the time to show and explain is because they introduce new stuff.

It's a FPS at the end of the day. Most people will rush through it. play some MP, then move on.

That they can't build a very focused reveal for hardcore gamers while making the game on 4 plateforms and with Activision paying for everything is understandable, no?

You're joking right?
Let's not get ridiculous with the comparisons.

There was only 3 areas of Seattle shown in the marketing lead-up to Second Son.

The E3 demo space with the dinosaur, the entrance section and the Fetch mission compound. And since they were 'missions', you couldn't get out from a specific radius to explore what's available in Seattle anyway. The scale of the Seattle landscape was pretty unknown to us aside from SP themselves saying that it's comparable in size with the previous 2 games.

And then when it came to other misc.stuff, like Delsin's character motivation, other characters, etc, it was very minimalistic in what was shared with us. SP was basically selling the relationship between 2 brothers, and that it's a superhero origin story. They barely talked about anything else when it comes to hyping up the story aspects of SS.

it's called teasing. You keep it slow, focused, you let the tension grow, then you expand your efforts and finally on release Day you feel rrelieve people of 60$.

it's april. the game comes out in september. there is a major event in june. a beta planned.

Why do people bitch about the non spectacula reveals is beyond me...

Do you want them to spoil all the big setpieces? tell you how the game "ends"?

The other AAA games coming at the end of the year have revealed much less so far.

And Bungie taking the time to show and explain is because they introduce new stuff.

It's a FPS at the end of the day. Most people will rush through it. play some MP, then move on.

That they can't build a very focused reveal for hardcore gamers while making the game on 4 plateforms and with Activision paying for everything is understandable, no?

Shouldn't teases be even MORE impressive than the real thing? Isn't that the point?

Kinyou

That was rather boring to watch to be honest. But when it's really supposed to be just some minor side mission I'll hold my judgement back.

cripterion

There was only 3 areas of Seattle shown in the marketing lead-up to Second Son.

The E3 demo space with the dinosaur, the entrance section and the Fetch mission compound. And since they were 'missions', you couldn't get out from a specific radius to explore what's available in Seattle anyway. The scale of the Seattle landscape was pretty unknown to us aside from SP themselves saying that it's comparable in size with the previous 2 games.

And then when it came to other misc.stuff, like Delsin's character motivation, other characters, etc, it was very minimalistic in what was shared with us. SP was basically selling the relationship between 2 brothers, and that it's a superhero origin story. They barely talked about anything else when it comes to hyping up the story aspects of SS.

What they showed prior to release basically tells you almost all you need to know about the game. Infamous SS is just a small ass game, you can't compare that to a game on the scale as Destiny's.
I agree with you that Bungie hasn't shown anything yet though.

2. Why does the game look worse than BF3 did on my current PC three years ago. I mean, Bungie was never known for their graphical prowess but it's still a next-gen console and I was expecting better. I was thinking of picking up a PS4 soon but PC gaming has been keeping me so busy (Diablo 3 and Dota 2) and after this underwhelming video, maybe I'll hold back.
But you realized how big the playable environments are in Destiny, do you?

Bungie said to the E3 footage, that even the big towers at the end of the sky which are collapsing at the public event are part of the playable area

Trickster

Completely agree. Hadn't seen this pre order ad before. But those 35 seconds does a much better job of making me excited about destiny than the 7 minutes of corridor shooting.

ElyrionX

Bungie said to the E3 footage, that even the big towers at the end of the sky which are collapsing at the public event are part of the playable area

The map in BF3 are MASSIVE as well.

I really haven't kept up much with the next-gen consoles but is this really it? I remember seeing footage of Infamous and Titanfall that looks much better than this. This looks like complete ass next to those. Even the animations look like shit.

I really haven't kept up much with the next-gen consoles but is this really it? I remember seeing footage of Infamous and Titanfall that looks much better than this. This looks like complete ass next to those. Even the animations look like shit.
But in BF3 nothing happens on these maps besides the players. just imagine that there arent just 64 people hanging around but also lots of AI
Maybe youre expecting too much since the game also releases on 360 and ps3

Trickster

...really?

Second Son I could understand people thinking looks better ( I think destiny looks better in a lot of ways though )

But fucking Titanfall?

Sadly, I think a lot of gamers are going to ignore this point. Bungie are used to it though, it was one of the biggest sticks used to bash Halo.

I've watched the new gameplay videos a few times and I'll try and put a few thoughts down and some constructive criticism. I'm doing this on a phone so apologies for any shitty typing.

Overall I think the seven minute Devils Lair video missed some opportunities. As others have said in this thread, I don't think showcasing the game to its potential. The game is billed as this huge world, with multiple paths, many activities and lots to do. Simply by explaining that this video is showing a strike, that is a small concentrated mission that makes up just a small part of the game would have helped. This isn't campaign, this isn't a large public event, this is a short, fun, side mission designed for three players to spend half an hour playing together. This is a focused mostly funnelled run through of a much greater area. This is explained in the articles that are accompanying the videos, but the video itself is what most people will see. I was also hoping to see a little at the start of the video of selecting the mission on the map, to help better explain that this is just one activity amongst many other options.

As a result, the gameplay is in quite tight spaces with a mix of corridors and small arena areas, different to what we have been told of large explorable spaces. When you know the context of the mission then this looks cool, however after hearing about the explorable world in the game it isn't what I expected to see.

A few people have criticised the music. I am not sure but it seems to me like the music has been overdubbed over the gameplay. It doesn't seem like the systems Bungie used in the halo games for controlling when a score is brought in, ramped up and then faded away have been used here, probably because this is an edit of a playthrough and obviously the music wouldn't flow when each edit occurs. As well as the music the sound design is a mixed bag,. Overall I love it but some of the weapons seem to lack the beefy punch you might expect. In 7.1 with a subwoofer it may sound completely different but watching through youtube some weapons sound underpowered.

The A.I. has also been pointed out in the thread to seem to be lacking, with some enemies just standing there and taking hits. I am not sure about this. There are plenty of other individual moments where enemies are dodging about all over the place, taking cover and advancing. I think what may be deceiving here is that at least in the first few skirmishes, there are multiple factions already fighting each other when the guardians enter in. I would assume the AI is concentrating on the fight they are in when the guardians move up on them and do not react straight away to the player. Added to this is the fact that there are three players fighting the enemies. Often when it looks like an enemy is not responding to the player it seems like they are responding to one of the other fireteam, they are concentrating on someone else. This happened in Halo coop as well. The number of friendly players outnumber the A.I. and obliterate them.

I am guessing the difficulty was on the lower end as the guardians are quickly able to take the bad guys down, just like Halo, on the harder difficulties, when the enemies last longer they have more time to show what they can do. There seemed to be plenty of variety in the fallen and hive though, so as some previews have mentioned, each playthrough will be different.

The game though looks stunning to me graphically. I love the art style and the vibrancy of the worlds. Everything looks bright and crisp and the explosions and particles look amazing. It looks like there will be plenty of environments to just sit and take in, something Bungie was always really good at. I just wish, as others had said, we got to see another strike on another world, or even another environment on earth, but I guess they are hesitant to give too much away too early.

The environment, although confined in places look great. Visually interesting and as playspaces they look a lot of fun. Lots of different ways to move around the spaces and lots of different approaches to take.

The gunplay looks spot on. Much like Halo, it looks to be possible to control your shots, pick enemies off and move to evade when needed. The added movement abilities look a lot of fun to master and work out how best to use. The supers look really cool, and seem to give that payoff that you would expect. All of the previews I have seen have said the same which is really encouraging. I am already sold on the universe and if the "30 second of fun" are there then that is all I need.

Overall I still just a hyped, but I still think others are going to need the beta to convince them of how good the game actually is and also to understand the scope and scale of the activities on offer. I think this game is pretty much all I am going to need for months and maybe years after release.

I would advise anyone who hasn't already to watch these two extra videos, that give some idea of the other environments and gameplay that make up the bigger picture, even though these are still just restricted to one part of the earth environment.

Wanted to write more on what I think is generally positive stuff but have to get back to work.

Flying about on a sparrow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZRtkGiuxhw

How can you have different difficulties in a shared world shooter? I'd imagine that the legendary servers would be pretty barren.

monome

I think it stops being called "teasing" and becomes "a mistake" when a trailer backfires as spectacularly as this one.
They quietly released footage from the same area that actually manages to get people excited, but that's not the videos most people will see.

I understand.
But I think the message is clear so far.

Destiny is built in a manner that is reflective of actually inhabiting its fictious worlds.
I think the vidocs are good at showing that. The last trailer makes a good impression of what it is to go looting a corner of a world instead of doing a few arena rounds when some friends are online.

It's a pretty game but I just don't see the appeal of the gameplay at all.
the game has a story and regular MP modes.

what they showed is how you can use the locations of the game as side stories for relatively quick but focused sessions or how the game offers a relatively open ended campaign for those not into PvP sessions but rather like to play like during a campaign.

of course a long ass campaign means the burn is slower than COD 5hrs campaign.

KoopaTheCasual

Wow that Sparrow teaser video got me more excited than the long demo. They really need to show off the environment and more atmosphere, which I think will be this game's biggest selling point.

I've also come around to the idea of 3 max players per team. This game really wants to stick with the "wolf pack" mentality, and I'm assuming they want each team to have one member of each class for maximum balance and flexibility. The idea of perfectly strung together attacks and super combos is pretty hype. Gives me fighting game vibes, with a heavy emphasis on esoteric mechanics.

It seems really cool that whenever you log in, you'll have your two closest friends (your pack) by your side to take on either the campaign or the competitive MP. I can dig what Bungie is going for with that. I'll wait for E3 and beta impressions to see if they pulled it off, tho.

FartOfWar

Banned
I am just baffled as to what they would gain by playing you at a game :/

Beating you at a game suddenly adds depth too it's gamemodes? Man the lengths people go too to justify something.
Review of the record would demonstrate winning team's tactical depth and the extent to which the loser's limited understanding of the games true sophistication informs his dismissal.

samman6

I don't understand the confusion around this game, it seems pretty clear in what it is. I expect a game with a 10-15 playable areas basically large maps, probably smaller then your thinking, utilizing these "maps" they can create missions in them, or they can close some of it off to make MP arenas. There will also be a hub world which will act as the lobby with a much higher player count, then the normal game area. People who are expecting this to be a gigantic open world where you can roam the whole planet on a map the size of Skyrim with hundreds of dudes roaming freely, are probably gonna be extremely disappointed, even though that sounds really awesome.

Acrylic7

The complaining is hilarious.

What do you want them to show you in a 7min gameplay video that just shows some minor stuff about the game?

You know there will be more stuff that you can do and places to explore. Its just one trailer that focuses on a tiny part of the game, which was pretty much shooting to show you a taste of the action.
I guess everyone expected a PlayStation style E3 montage of randomness.

Top Bottom