• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III |OT| This one really is Warcraft 4

deoee

I still ahve yet to buy this due to a lot of the complaints in this thread. This is coming form someone with 2K plus hours in DoW 2.

I am not very happy with the losing of smaller tactical engagments and osme of the egregious fluff loss (SM squads should not be cannon fodder like in DoW 1).

I will probably get it soon enough, but not now :/ Strange, as I have always bought these games and their expansions day and date.

Try and Steam refund if it's not your kind of game :3

You know that people tend to blow shit out way of proportion

I've been noticing the memory usage of the game increasing from like 4 gigs to 8 gigs after a couple hours of play in the campaign. I've had the game hang up a couple of times and wondering if this is probably the issue

I still ahve yet to buy this due to a lot of the complaints in this thread. This is coming form someone with 2K plus hours in DoW 2.

I am not very happy with the losing of smaller tactical engagments and osme of the egregious fluff loss (SM squads should not be cannon fodder like in DoW 1).

I will probably get it soon enough, but not now :/ Strange, as I have always bought these games and their expansions day and date.

Like the other poster said it's blown out of proportion imo. It's not a revolutionary omgwtfamazing game but it's a solid sequel. SM squads are definitely not cannon fodder or too powerful in a moba-esque way. They last quite a bit and have a hefty build cost so you can just spam a million of them.

Dipper145

How much orkyness am I going to get in the campaign? Since they are obviously the best army out of warhammer 40k, I am wondering before I buy. WAAAAAAAGH Ere we go!

Bl@de

Since this is the most active DoW thread I will ask here (even if it is a little bit off topic): I wanted to play coop DoW with a friend and was looking into the games. DoW2 is the most appealing to us (and compared to DoW1 it doesn't look like ass) and the Master Collection is 10€ (DoW3 is too expensive and barebones right now). People say that DoW has coop camapigns, but how many are there and how does coop work in that game?

Aangster

Since this is the most active DoW thread I will ask here (even if it is a little bit off topic): I wanted to play coop DoW with a friend and was looking into the games. DoW2 is the most appealing to us (and compared to DoW1 it doesn't look like ass) and the Master Collection is 10€ (DoW3 is too expensive and barebones right now). People say that DoW has coop camapigns, but how many are there and how does coop work in that game?

DoW 2 coop works for all the campaigns, including those in Chaos Rising (a continuation of the vanilla narrative) and Retribution (set in time much later, and available for play with all races). Between you and your coop partner, you take control of two characters/squads each. Missions are selected on a campaign map between different world systems, with multiple/optional ones available at once as you progress further past the initial tutorial missions. It sounds really limiting, but with wargear drops + rewards, swappable abilities (e.g. jump packs, melta bombs + frag grenades) and skills unique to your chosen character/s, there's a lot of customisation and gameplay opportunities + replayability.

Bl@de

DoW 2 coop works for all the campaigns, including those in Chaos Rising (a continuation of the vanilla narrative) and Retribution (set in time much later, and available for play with all races). Between you and your coop partner, you take control of two characters/squads each. Missions are selected on a campaign map between different world systems, with multiple/optional ones available at once as you progress further past the initial tutorial missions. It sounds really limiting, but with wargear drops + rewards, swappable abilities (e.g. jump packs, melta bombs + frag grenades) and skills unique to your chosen character/s, there's a lot of customisation and gameplay opportunities + replayability.

Sounds like fun. The shared squads seems like a different approach to other games. Usually it was just skirmish in Starcraft/Age of Empires/etc..

As a former Command and Conquer hardcore will this game be for me?

I want base building and tiberum harvesting
Hard to say. I grew up on Command and Conquer. Played and beat each one...love them. I also love Supreme Commander (1 and 2), Sins of a Solar Empire, and Dawn of War II. I am really enjoyiny Dawn of War 3, but I'm not sure what other RTS it is the most like. Base building wise, there isn't a ton in DoW3. Resource points are usually heavily contested in MP, and that is where the fun happens. I say get it, and if you don't like the refund it.

Sounds like fun. The shared squads seems like a different approach to other games. Usually it was just skirmish in Starcraft/Age of Empires/etc..
It is kind of fun....except that there are so many fun and badass squads in DoW2 that it was always hard for me to share. Then I always got super frustrated when my buddy was using his 2 squads "the wrong way." I just want them all for myself!

Kinda don't mind the whole marines being cannon fodder... I mean really ever play the table top game? You have ton's of tactical marines and they are easily dispatched by lucky rolls from crappy units like grots and guardsmen, and you have tons of them. Even the table top game contradicts alot of the lore

OK. It's a Saturday. Surely 1 or 2 people are bored and want to team up and have some fun multiplayer? Steam name is Vincent Alexander. Someone add me if they wanna team up! Gonna go play some campaign.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Game kinda feels like they took CoH's building system (Well they do use the UI elements for it) and made gameplay more Starcrafty I feel, with some ARTS elements like bush stealth.

While not necessarily a negative, I do miss the Relic cover system and its quite a shame they decided to not focus more on the Campaign by adding coop and those things to it as well as the Horde mode from DoW2.

I'm not sure how the Campaign will hold up in total, but fuck me if the Varlock Keep soldiers don't look incredible.

deoee

Yeah why there's no coop in here is mind boggling...

I really love the art, graphic and presentation of the game

Stevey

Seem to be getting a weird issue where the scroll speed when I pan the camera with the mouse or use the arrow keys goes really slow, then after a while it goes back to normal, or even faster.
Holding the middle mouse button and panning that way isn't affected though.

I've always hated playing other races besides space marines, mostly because they bore me, but I'm surprised how much I'm loving the Ork campaign in this. Just really fun characters and dialogue. Eldar are immensely boring so far though...
Seem to be getting a weird issue where the scroll speed when I pan the camera with the mouse or use the arrow keys goes really slow, then after a while it goes back to normal, or even faster.
Holding the middle mouse button and panning that way isn't affected though.
I haven't had that issue yet, but I do keep having the annoying issue where my mouse drag to select units doesn't stop dragging, and I have to click an extra time. Really annoys me.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Eldar are immensely boring so far though...

Eldar are always incredibly lame. I'm pretty dissappointed that with only 3 starting factions (and given the immense negative reaction to this game, probably the only 3 factions), that one slot was wasted on Eldar.

Geist-

Eldar are always incredibly lame. I'm pretty dissappointed that with only 3 starting factions (and given the immense negative reaction to this game, probably the only 3 factions), that one slot was wasted on Eldar.
There hasn't been a game yet where Eldar aren't one of the first starting races. I have a feeling one of the Relic higher ups collects them.

daedalius

Will pick this up soon as I loved the first and second ones, DoW 1 was what got me into 40k in the first place.

Seeing space marines get mowed down isn't very fluffy, but you have to look no further than the actual tabletop game to witness rank and file space marines being slaughtered by the dozen. Tabletop is also very different from the books!

Farseer Macha says she was once allies with Gabriel for a short period of time. He failed, and darkness prevailed..? What is she referring to? I don't remember this at all in the previous games, but it has been years and years.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Farseer Macha says she was once allies with Gabriel for a short period of time. He failed, and darkness prevailed..? What is she referring to? I don't remember this at all in the previous games, but it has been years and years.

Dawn of War 1.

She backed Angelos on his assault on Chaos in an attempt to retrieve the Maledictum, but after they beat the chaos forces, Angelos ignored her warnings and destroyed the Maledictum which released the greater daemon it was keeping sealed.

Dawn of War 1.

She backed Angelos on his assault on Chaos in an attempt to retrieve the Maledictum, but after they beat the chaos forces, Angelos ignored her warnings and destroyed the Maledictum which released the greater daemon it was keeping sealed.
Ah. Thank you. I never played Dawn of War 1. Maybe I need to go back and play it some day. I got into this franchise with part 2.

Will this run on a surface book?

I don't generally play PC games. I've only played a dawn of war game once in a lan cafe, but I want to give this a go.

Or should I play the others first?

Yeah why there's no coop in here is mind boggling...

Having no co op is fine with me, never really used it in DoW 2.

The one thing I really REALLY want is Last Stand though... if and when that ever comes out... so many hours are gonna be lost.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Will this run on a surface book?

I don't generally play PC games. I've only played a dawn of war game once in a lan cafe, but I want to give this a go.

Or should I play the others first?

Depends on whether you're buying for the campaign, or to play multiplayer. You absolutely should play the other DoW games, if you're looking for good singleplayer.

The only advantage DoW3 has, right now, is that it's new, and the multiplayer is well populated.

My opinion is that DoW3 is not worth $60, until Relic provides a ton of post-release support.

Right now there's three 1v1, two 2v2, and three 3v3 maps, with a single game mode, no Ranked/ladders, and a lackluster SP campaign.

It's going to get old fast, without aggressive support from Relic.

Depends on whether you're buying for the campaign, or to play multiplayer. You absolutely should play the other DoW games, if you're looking for good singleplayer.

The only advantage DoW3 has, right now, is that it's new, and the multiplayer is well populated.

My opinion is that DoW3 is not worth $60, until Relic provides a ton of post-release support.

Right now there's three 1v1, two 2v2, and three 3v3 maps, with a single game mode, no Ranked/ladders, and a lackluster SP campaign.

It's going to get old fast, without aggressive support from Relic.

I'm going to be getting this mainly for the single player campaign. Guessing I'll be holding off until more single player content and a sale. Kind of bummed about lack of features in this game compared to previous releases.

I have all the other DoW games and their expansions and didn't touch multiplayer after the first month in those games.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Any hints on getting past Mission 12,
when you're waiting for the pickup?
Also, any guidance on how to get
Diomedes
to heal consistently? Sometimes he does it and sometimes he doesn't. Likewise for the Battle Standard. Sometimes it heals, sometimes it doesn't.

Just as a head's up for anyone looking for this a bit cheaper, CD Keys has it for $39
Any hints on getting past Mission 12,
when you're waiting for the pickup?
Also, any guidance on how to get
Diomedes
to heal consistently? Sometimes he does it and sometimes he doesn't. Likewise for the Battle Standard. Sometimes it heals, sometimes it doesn't.
I'm not at that mission yet, but as for the Battle Standard, I think it only heals at level 2...or maybe it doesn't start healing until 3? One or other.

Just got it on a friend's very persistent recommendation. Never played a Warhammer game before, but I've had a long on-again off-again relationship with rts's. Anything important I should know going into this?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Just got it on a friend's very persistent recommendation. Never played a Warhammer game before, but I've had a long on-again off-again relationship with rts's. Anything important I should know going into this?

WAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
4992152-orki_vaaaaa_waaaaa.gif

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm going to be getting this mainly for the single player campaign. Guessing I'll be holding off until more single player content and a sale. Kind of bummed about lack of features in this game compared to previous releases.

I have all the other DoW games and their expansions and didn't touch multiplayer after the first month in those games.
You 100% do not want to spend $60 on this, if you mainly want to play a good campaign.

DoW3 is a major departure, from previous entries, as it pertains to the the campaign. It's downright sad, compared to DoW2. No more wargear, no loot, no level progression, no skill trees, no selecting branching missions. The only reason to play it, is because it unlocks stuff for the multiplayer.

Makes me ask: Whut da fook haz Relic been doing, since the DoW2 release, in 2009? The Retribution expansion came out 6 years ago, and this has launched in a much worse content state, than even vanilla DoW2.

Tecnniqe

Banned
You 100% do not want to spend $60 on this, if you mainly want to play a good campaign.

DoW3 is a major departure, from previous entries, as it pertains to the the campaign. It's downright sad, compared to DoW2. No more wargear, no loot, no level progression, no skill trees, no selecting branching missions. The only reason to play it, is because it unlocks stuff for the multiplayer.

Makes me ask: Whut da fook haz Relic been doing, since the DoW2 release, in 2009? The Retribution expansion came out 6 years ago, and this has launched in a much worse content state, than even vanilla DoW2.

Its not a bad game but the content and content expectation from previous titles sure dont fit the price tag.

No coop campaign and no last stand and the unit exp gain seems very grindy as some units are much much easier to gain exp with than others.

Also we only got that 1 multiplayer mode? :33

Oh well, 10 hours in so far and still doing the Campaign... Getting to an end now it seems.

Nere

Company of heroes 2 I guess?

Might not be worth 60, but the campaign is definitely worth $39. Having a really good time with it so far. Might also be that I've been moving for 2 weeks without being able to sit down and play games, and this is the first thing I've touched since.

Top Bottom