• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: "there are a lot" of big unannounced Xbox games.

Humdinger

My list only tracks:
a. first-party exclusives
b. lifetime indie exclusives
c. timed AAA exclusives/strategic 3rd-party games that have exclusivity announced

Okie doke, thank you. Great list, btw, appreciate the work that went into it.

Where can I find the equivalent updated one for Sony? I imagine there was a big drop-off this year for them.

Are you only including E3, btw, or other conferences as well (TGS, PSX, etc.)?

Really glad it looks like far less people are swallowing this bullshit than in years past.

Lots of concern trolling up in here.

I said it before, now that MS delivered on their most powerful hardware mantra, I see them moving on to exclusive titles. They've been consistently moving in the right direction and it's obvious where their next move is.

You can quote me on this.

Gladly

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So, when Sony says this, everyone is cool and says, "Of course", but when Microsoft says pretty much the exact same thing, almost everyone is doubting? Yeah, that makes sense...

Ask your self why people said, "Of course."

Spoiler: It's because Sony releases a fuck ton of games, while Microsoft have done nothing to deserve the same benefit of doubt.

Lots of concern trolling up in here.

I said it before, now that MS delivered on their most powerful hardware mantra, I see them moving on to exclusive titles. They've been consistently moving in the right direction and it's obvious where their next move is.

You can quote me on this.

The game developers are also building the hardware?

Poor souls.

Kolx

Somebody buy this guy a drink. Or just pay him. Worked out all the exclusives.

What a hit.

What else would they have? a new dead rising? We know what their first party is working on (unless Rare is working on something besides SoT). Unless you think MS is somehow going to sign 4 AAA deals with third\second party which their recent output doesn't indicate at all this isn't going to happen.

Okie doke, thank you. Great list, btw, appreciate the work that went into it.

Where can I find the equivalent updated one for Sony? I imagine there was a big drop-off this year for them.

Are you only including E3, btw, or other conferences as well (TGS, PSX, etc.)?

I include every announcement made that year, conference or not.

Here:

DCP9OFaVYAExBnk

You seriously want to make a point using that image?

*Looks at all the awesome releases they already did this gen*

Yeah, they are delivering on that.

Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Ryse: Son of Rome
Zoo Tycoon
Crimson Dragon
LocoCycle
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Powerstar Golf
Xbox Fitness
Kinect Sports Rivals
Project Spark
Sunset Overdrive
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Dance Central Spotlight
Kalimba
Rare Replay
Screamride
State of Decay: Year-One Survival Edition
Among the Sleep
Happy Wars
Ori and the Blind Forest
Dead Rising 4 (Dunno if that counts)
Quantum Break
ReCore
Cobalt

OMG you are right, all they have is gears, forza and halo XD
I said big games, meaning retail, full fledged, $60 big budget AAA games.

I also said unannounced games. The non-Halo/Gears/Forza well has really dried the hell up, and it's hard to argue otherwise. I own many of the games in your list and enjoyed most of them. We are talking about unannounced games for the future, and the trend is unequivocally leaning towards almost exclusively the three aforementioned franchises.

A mainline Fable game is desperately needed, Xbox lacks a AAA action adeventure/RPG. Finding the right studio is crucial in maintaining the franchise's British charm.

Matt

Well, yeah. MS will have published literally all of their announced games within the next year (barring any delays). Of corse they have titles to follow that.

Izuna

Banned
The other part of this is the notion that hardware development will somehow slow down and be prioritized post-Scorpio. It's a multi-year cycle, and naturally Xbox's hardware team will be neck-deep to planning what the next box already.

Considering it's an extremely strong likelihood the next Xbox would be released in the next 3-4 years, there is no "refocusing", but rather simultaneous development.

3112124-xbox.jpg

please... enable cleartype

Skeeter49

So, when Sony says this, everyone is cool and says, "Of course", but when Microsoft says pretty much the exact same thing, almost everyone is doubting? Yeah, that makes sense...
Sony and Nintendo both have events to show First Party stuff. It's more reassuring.

Xbox could have a fan event like PSX, or go hard at Gamescom, but right now that's speculation.

And most people did call bullshit on Sony in that thread anyway.

JaggedSac

I have to say, next year having a new Halo and the next Forza Horizon has me excited. Granted they aren't certain to be releasing, but come on, it's MS. They publish those things like clockwork. Should be what, 10 million in sales between the two of them lifetime?

Xandremi

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft have all said this within a week from E3. Cause for alarm or hype?

Sony has PSX in a couple months and Nintendo actually relies heavily on 1st party games. Microsoft is whatever let's just buy a bunch of indie games for exclusive and timed exclusive for their next Monster hardware. So yeah you figure out where the hype and alarm goes.

Ricky_R

Of course there are more Xbox games coming. What people want to know is if those games are new IPs.

Unfortunately, you don't get the benefit of the doubt on that, Aaron.

I believe it because of scalebound. Still, some of those may not see the light of day so it's best to not say anything until it's nearing completion

xviper

by "Big" does he mean cartoony games that feels like a ps2 and also available on PC and may be a timed console exclusive ??

Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Zoo Tycoon
Crimson Dragon
LocoCycle
Powerstar Golf
Xbox Fitness
Kinect Sports Rivals
Project Spark
Sunset Overdrive
Dance Central Spotlight
Kalimba
Rare Replay
Screamride
Among the Sleep
Happy Wars
Ori and the Blind Forest
Quantum Break
ReCore
Cobalt

Fuck... It's a damn list.

It's pretty amusing seeing the difference in tone between this thread and the Reggie unannounced games thread

Microsoft could generate that kind of optimism if their track record didn't make it so hard to do so. Nintendo continually does new takes on their IP. Microsoft won't touch it again if it doesn't do 3 million or better.

There's no point of even asking for a new Blue Dragon when Microsoft won't even give Sunset Overdrive a sequel.

Kayant

Maybe Xbox is hard capped at a certain budget per year. Now that the HW is done, budget moves on dev of games. That could explain why Spencer recently mentioned he gave the green light on a few new projects.
Then that should be a very worrying thought that they are so constraint in their ability to do what any other hardware/software company would be doing. Also how exactly does that work? Do people that makes games just get paid to sit around all day or something.

xviper

Dead Rising 3
Killer Instinct
Zoo Tycoon
Crimson Dragon
LocoCycle
Powerstar Golf
Xbox Fitness
Kinect Sports Rivals
Project Spark
Sunset Overdrive
Dance Central Spotlight
Kalimba
Rare Replay
Screamride
Among the Sleep
Happy Wars
Ori and the Blind Forest
Quantum Break
ReCore
Cobalt

the only BIG true Exclusive i see is Sunset overdrive, rest are indie, kinect, remastered or on PC

David___

Banned
Maybe Xbox is hard capped at a certain budget per year. Now that the HW is done, budget moves on dev of games. That could explain why Spencer recently mentioned he gave the green light on a few new projects.

What were the devs doing for these years and why weren't they closed down if they couldn't get funding moved to do the one job they were hired to do

This is true

the "holding back" thing is dumb on both sides
One of them has around 3 major conferences a year and just recently announced a sequel to one of their biggest IP at a event that wasn't E3

The other has been saying the same thing for the last couple years with barely anything shown while also giving the excuse that they were focused on the hardware of a mid gen console so they could *now* focus on games

Its easy to see why people give the benefit of the doubt to one and not the other

Hero

Makes no sense to hold this console to the standards of a new generation when that's not what it is.

You're right, but I wasn't the one proclaiming that Microsoft was "on the right track" due to the Xbox One X, when it's going to have little to no impact on their trajectory.

"Killer apps" are third party games. The only people who launch with Killer apps are Nintendo because they don't have third party support. You act as if Assassins creed, COD and Battlefront 2 aren't launching within a week or so of the Xbox one x

If third party games are killer apps then how does Xbox One X help against Sony?

jet1911

I can understand why they want to wait before announcing new games after what happened with Scalebound and Phantom Dust buuuuuut it's hard not to be sceptical when they say things like that.

I can understand why they want to wait before announcing new games after what happened with Scalebound and Phantom Dust buuuuuut it's hard not to be sceptical when they say things like that.

Yup
Its been 4 years since the generation started, promises are becoming harder to believe

Sjefen

Please be excited.

But seriously why tease unnannounced games without showing them, have they been questioned/criticized for lack of new ip at E3?

The God

What were the devs doing for these years and why weren't they closed down if they couldn't get funding moved to do the one job they were hired to do

One of them has around 3 major conferences a year and just recently announced a sequel to one of their biggest IP at a event that wasn't E3

The other has been saying the same thing for the last couple years with barely anything shown while also giving the excuse that they were focused on the hardware of a mid gen console so they could *now* focus on games

Its easy to see why people give the benefit of the doubt to one and not the other

I'm not sold on the idea that Sony decided to forgo new big game announcements at their biggest stage in favor of other conferences

I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong when TGS and PSX get here tho

I'm not sold on the idea that Sony decided to forgo new big game announcements at their biggest stage in favor of other conferences

I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong when TGS and PSX get here tho

Maybe not their "biggest games" per say, but plenty of E3-tier announcements have been at non-E3 events for both Sony and Nintendo.

Head.spawn

Please be excited.

But seriously why tease unnannounced games without showing them, have they been questioned/criticized for lack of new ip at E3?

Yes. In fact you are posting in a thread with a response to that question/critique at E3, lol.

Did Giant Bomb ask Phil Spencer? I feel like they would've during that live interview.

Top Bottom