• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: Nintendo will have a big E3 this year.

Meesh

So... I actually read that in Reggies voice and it kinda annoyed me! Lol. Now I'm prepared for a minimal showing.

Speely

Banned
Prediction: a Nintendo IP will steal E3 this year unless a Scorpio launch title does (i.e. Crackdown.)

My money is on Nintendo because they have a much stronger and super-efficient internal development environment.

Switch is going places. Splatoon 2 is going to be Monster Hunter big in Japan (local multiplayer + LAN tournaments). They've got their best hand since DS there.

Josh5890

I'd imagine that Pokémon would be revealed prior to E3, but I feel like any other first party surprises may end up being for 2018 (unless it's the rumored Mario-Rabbids crossover, which I'm not so sure about). I'd love to be wrong, though.

There's also GameCube Virtual Console & Mother 3 (if they're happening) if Nintendo chooses not to drop those bombs before E3.

I have a hard time believing we will have to wait before E3 to see virtual console news.

Wait did he say it in 2009 when we had a bunch of awesome stuff like Galaxy 2, Golden Sun, Sin & Punishment, Other M (back before people knew better), and the Skyward Sword teaser, and some ok stuff like NSMB Wii and Spirit Tracks, or 2008 when we had Animal Crossing, Ravi Drums, and Cammie Dunaway?

Yeah, they hyped that E3 way too much for Wii Music and then they admitted to dropping the ball later on.

Forkball

I would like to see Mario Maker and Animal Crossing Switch for sure. And if we don't hear about Virtual Console until then, I hope we get a big blowout with some worthwhile changes.

The 3DS is great, but there's not a whole lot they can announce that would excite me. After the next Fire Emblem it will basically be a back catalogue device.

Neoxon

Wasn't there a rumor that they rented a theatre?
I believe it's the same theater used for their behind-closed-doors press briefings from the last few years. If I'm mistaken & it's for a theater like the ones used for press conferences, it could be for another Nintendo World Championship.

Josh5890

I believe it's the same theater used for their behind-closed-doors press briefings from the last few years. If I'm mistaken & it's for a theater like the ones used for press conferences, it could be for another Nintendo World Championship.

Mario Kart/ARMs/Spla2oon Triathalon

Vexed

Nintendo has scored such a slam-dunk in the "oh shit" department for most consumers based off of Zelda and the sheer "wow" factor of the hybrid function alone that they can play slow-burn with releasing features they've had before on previous consoles. That's one of the incredible things about it to me... yes, Zelda is pretty groundbreaking as a game, but a big part of what has people psyched up and talking in a way that's adding to the overall hype train is the fact that people can just play the game anywhere seamlessly. In a basic sense we've had these things before separately - impressive Zelda titles, games played handheld - but Nintendo's execution now has people viewing it as an entirely new experience. And now they can play it slow for the first year while still building hype long-term.

Most hardcore gamers will obviously roll their eyes and be like "everything else has that", but Nintendo is surely in for a free internet PR bump when Hulu/Netflix/etc hit the console and people start sharing pictures of them watching in various locales or with their kickstand. Previous consoles had classics available via virtual console, but people will surely freak out when they get to play their favorite NES/SNES/N64 titles anywhere or with friends. There's a ton of online features - friends list notifications, achievements, etc. - that will surely be additions that gamers are familiar with, but will be "new" to the console and thus another talking point when they hit in October.

Nintendo probably doesn't even need to announce that many "new" Switch games or make big release date announcements at E3 this year. They've still got a lot more to show off of what looks to be the next "big" entry in the Mario franchise, more of Splatoon 2 to show off, ARMS may or may not be out by then, and oh yeah, their system-seller still has DLC they haven't shown anything of. They could probably show off their remaining 2017 slate, announce some features/VC, show a trailer for the BOTW story DLC, and then announce Pokemon Stars/Eclipse for Spring 2018 and it would probably be considered a pretty solid E3.

They'll still probably top that. I'm just saying. Nintendo is well positioned already.

MoonFrog

Hmmm... give me Metroid and Retro's game, please. A Metroid I have confidence in, which turns out to merit it.

But also please have 3DS like support on Switch faster than anticipated. Please have Atlus, SE, Capcom, Level 5, and such convincingly there with believable 2018 release dates (or holiday 2017 :p).

Less important to me, as I don't buy third versions, have Stars be true. Have Smash 4 DX be true. Have Animal Crossing for 2017 or 2018. Have all those core bases covered and build on it. Timing is great on Mario, Zelda, and Splatoon. Keep building that early critical mass of titles.

I welcome it. The more I see about what's in store for the Switch, the more excited I get for it. A big E3 presence would only accelerate me purchasing one.

Neoxon

Nintendo has scored such a slam-dunk in the "oh shit" department for most consumers based off of Zelda and the sheer "wow" factor of the hybrid function alone that they can play slow-burn with releasing features they've had before on previous consoles. That's one of the incredible things about it to me... yes, Zelda is pretty groundbreaking as a game, but a big part of what has people psyched up and talking in a way that's adding to the overall hype train is the fact that people can just play the game anywhere seamlessly. In a basic sense we've had these things before separately - impressive Zelda titles, games played handheld - but Nintendo's execution now has people viewing it as an entirely new experience. And now they can play it slow for the first year while still building hype long-term.

Most hardcore gamers will obviously roll their eyes and be like "everything else has that", but Nintendo is surely in for a free internet PR bump when Hulu/Netflix/etc hit the console and people start sharing pictures of them watching in various locales or with their kickstand. Previous consoles had classics available via virtual console, but people will surely freak out when they get to play their favorite NES/SNES/N64 titles anywhere or with friends. There's a ton of online features - friends list notifications, achievements, etc. - that will surely be additions that gamers are familiar with, but will be "new" to the console and thus another talking point when they hit in October.

Nintendo probably doesn't even need to announce that many "new" Switch games or make big release date announcements at E3 this year. They've still got a lot more to show off of what looks to be the next "big" entry in the Mario franchise, more of Splatoon 2 to show off, ARMS may or may not be out by then, and oh yeah, their system-seller still has DLC they haven't shown anything of. They could probably show off their remaining 2017 slate, announce some features/VC, show a trailer for the BOTW story DLC, and then announce Pokemon Stars/Eclipse for Spring 2018 and it would probably be considered a pretty solid E3.

They'll still probably top that. I'm just saying. Nintendo is well positioned already.
If Stars is a thing, Game Freak isn't gonna miss the holiday season, even if Super Mario Odyssey is already coming at the same time (that didn't stop Game Freak before with Smash 4's Wii U release).

Kurt

So E3 could be :

- Metroid 4 prime tease
- Mario
- Smash
- Pikmin 4?
- Fire embled
- Xenoblade 2
- Retro game (or is this metroid?)
- I'm hoping that they don't create a 2d metroid voor 3DS, but for switch or both.
- Zelda season pass
- Splatoon dlc?

Well there would always be 1 secret?

Reggie: "But...one more thing, some of you have been waiting a very long time for this...."

*Lights dim*

On screen: Shigesato Itoi and Nintendo in association with Best Brains Incorporated present...."

*Shot of a college registration office*

*In walks Crow T. Robot wearing a suit pretending to be a young Peter Graves*

Crow: "Hello. I'm Peter Graves and I'm here to register as a student at the University of Minnesota!"

Secretary: "Hello, Mr. Graves. Let me show you to your dorm room."

*Crow is led to a dorm room and meets Lucas and Kirby."

Crow: "I'm Peter Graves, and I have just met my dorm buddies!"

Crow/Peter Graves, Lucas and Kirby engage in day to day classroom sim scenarios, pranks and typical college scenarios as the "big men on campus" in this life simulator which runs on the new Animal Crossing engine and story written by Mr. Itoi, Joel Hodgson, Mike Nelson, and Frank Conniff.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

mdubs

Banned
Feels good to head into E3 with a system that's on the upswing. Really looking forward to seeing what's going to happen!

sinonobu

Banned
I have a feeling smash would be reveled prior to E3 as it is just a port... I can see them introducing new fighter tho.

I'm expecting new Metroid and brand new IP along with heavily rumored Beyond Good and Evil 2

Neoxon

I have a feeling smash would be reveled prior to E3 as it is just a port... I can see them introducing new fighter tho.

I'm expecting new Metroid and brand new IP along with heavily rumored Beyond Good and Evil 2
If anything's gonna be revealed prior to E3, it'll probably be Pokémon (if Stars is real). As mentioned before, The Pokémon Company would likely want the spotlight to themselves for the initial reveal of Stars (again, if it's an actual thing).

Vexed

If Stars is a thing, Game Freak isn't gonna miss the holiday season, even if Super Mario Odyssey is already coming at the same time (that didn't stop Game Freak before with Smash 4's Wii U release).

Yeah but if the Switch is already selling well beyond initial projections and is still poised to still be in high demand come holiday, what's the utility from a business perspective in releasing a demand-driving game like Pokemon at that time? It's not really a franchise competition thing to me, it's more just recognizing an opportunity with regards to timing. Pokemon on Switch is going to sell consoles by itself and is likely also going to attach to a lot of the consoles that would be sold during the holiday season anyways - just makes a lot of sense to bump it to like Feb/March and get a nice bump when console sales normally take a dip.

Neoxon

Yeah but if the Switch is already selling well beyond initial projections already and is still poised to still be in high demand come holiday, what's the utility from a business sense in releasing a demand-driving game like Pokemon then? It's not really a franchise competition thing to me, it's more just recognizing an opportunity with regards to timing.
If we're going off of the Eurogamer report, Stars was (supposedly) on-track for a Summer 2017 release, but was pushed back to ensure that all hands were on deck for Sun/Moon's Holiday release. If true, the report shows that Game Freak takes having Pokémon ready for Christmas really seriously.

sinonobu

Banned
If anything's gonna be revealed prior to E3, it'll probably be Pokémon (if Stars is real). As mentioned before, The Pokémon Company would likely want the spotlight to themselves for the initial reveal of Stars (again, if it's an actual thing).

100 Percent expect Pokemon Stars to be revealed before. I don't think Pokemon Company will held seperate event tho. I think it will be like Pokemon XY where it is part of Nintendo Direct, which I expect to happen between now and MK8D release.

Lothars

I am extremely doubtful of this. I want to be wrong but it's reggie so I expect him to be exaggerating or being out right misleading.

Please go back to live conference

ohhh hell no. Why? So they can be 90 - 100 minutes long of boring ass people standing around taking 15 minutes to explain hey you do stuff in this game, and now here's a trailer. I'm hoping Sony and MS copy Nintendo and do pre-recorded events. They're infinitely more entertaining, and cut out all the fat and bullshit that make those sooooo fucking boring.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
3DS...hmm...I guess that'll be Fire Emblem Warriors and Ever Oasis, unless I'm forgetting something (EDIT: Forgot Pikmin). I wonder if they'll announce a new 1st party game for 3DS at this stage of its life or if those three games are enough for 2017.

Please only announce games that will be out within a year, not some far off titles. It was so nice to see Zelda and it coming out a mere 9 months later. I'm tired of hearing about the same games E3 after E3.

Speely

Banned
Will be funny if they just dedicate it to a single game like they did Zelda.

I would actually consider this a real possibility if they didn't have the potential games this year. We all already know that Mario is releasing, but we also know that Pokemon is a possibility.

That combo does not allow for a one-game show.

Plus Zelda DLC.

Pffft. Nintendo is going to be burdened for time at E3.

Halabane

240p
That's why:p
No over 50M already sold with the switch having maybe 2M out there is why. 3ds is a much better portable unit. Switch suffers, even worse, than vita in being fragile and awkward size. Leaving for a trip sunday night and 3ds is coming and the switch stays in its dock. What will kill the 3ds is the phone.

I'd imagine that Pokémon would be revealed prior to E3, but I feel like any other first party surprises may end up being for 2018 (unless it's the rumored Mario-Rabbids crossover, which I'm not so sure about). I'd love to be wrong, though.

There's also GameCube Virtual Console & Mother 3 (if they're happening) if Nintendo chooses not to drop those bombs before E3.

Yeah there is no reason for a lot more than virtual console stuff this year. You still have a Mario, MK8 and Splat plus some rpgs. There won't be that many units in the market, they will need that push next year with big titles to sell consoles, when they finally have a bunch in stock. Right now the early adopters will be okay because they are hardcore Nintendo fans (and Zelda is amazing).

What they need to do is show the road map to when they will come out. But VC and some more ports will be needed to get thru this year into early next. I hope they show some connection to those 3rd party jrpg and strategy game teams to take what is left on vita over to the switch. They also need to show netflix et.al as coming soon too.

Prediction: a Nintendo IP will steal E3 this year unless a Scorpio launch title does (i.e. Crackdown.)

My money is on Nintendo because they have a much stronger and super-efficient internal development environment.

Unless it's metroid, I doubt it. Crackdown stealing e3 is a no-go as well. We're talking game of the show, right? If so.. nah.

Red dead sweeping awards. If Cyberpunk has a huge showing, it'll get a ton. MARIO may get a ton. God of War getting a ton... it's gonna be hard man.

Vexed

If we're going off of the Eurogamer report, Stars was (supposedly) on-track for a Summer 2017 release, but was pushed back to ensure that all hands were on deck for Sun/Moon's Holiday release. If true, the report shows that Game Freak takes having Pokémon ready for Christmas really seriously.

That really only demonstrates that Game Freak was concerned that Sun/Moon hit its scheduled Holiday release, and if anything shows a willingness on their part to push the development of Stars. Beyond that, it's not like "if we're gonna release Pokemon, it's gonna be for the Christmas season" is this weird requirement at Game Freak. That's been the case as of late, but for years entries in the series had March releases.

It still also doesn't really address my point. Pokemon on the Switch is gonna sell no matter when it gets released, and it might even get people who don't own a console to purchase one to play it. If Nintendo thinks it's going to have supply issues through the holiday, what use does it have for a game that gives that kind of a bump? Literally anyone that would buy it upon a holiday release surely would buy it upon a March release. The upside is that there might be an even larger potential install base at that point as people who are buying a Switch for Pokemon could have an easier time finding one in Feb/March when stores get an opportunity to resupply.

Neoxon

That really only demonstrates that Game Freak was concerned that Sun/Moon hit its scheduled Holiday release, and if anything shows a willingness on their part to push the development of Stars. Beyond that, it's not like "if we're gonna release Pokemon, it's gonna be for the Christmas season" is this weird requirement at Game Freak. That's been the case as of late, but for years entries in the series had March releases.

It still also doesn't really address my point. Pokemon on the Switch is gonna sell no matter when it gets released, and it might even get people who don't own a console to purchase one to play it. If Nintendo thinks it's going to have supply issues through the holiday, what use does it have for a game that gives that kind of a bump? Literally anyone that would buy it upon a holiday release surely would buy it upon a March release. The upside is that there might be an even larger potential install base at that point as people who are buying a Switch for Pokemon could have an easier time finding one in Feb/March when stores get an opportunity to resupply.
But isn't part of the reason for the March 2017 launch of the Switch to ensure that there won't be as many supply constraints come Black Friday? I agree in that Pokémon would sell no matter what. But having Pokémon alongside Mario during the holiday season would move units like crazy.

HardRojo

I would be worried if they didn't, considering they need to announce more games for the platform they just released. The reveal in January was lackluster. Smash port finally coming?

Top Bottom