• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
All my photos are in OneDrive so Google Photos does nothing for me. I guess I could maybe start another backup which wouldn't be a bad idea. Just transferring everything over would be a pain.

Well then you are missing out. Yes thats exactly what I did I have two copies of all my pics now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Isn't the backup on Google photos less than full resolution unless you own a pixel or some other weirdness like that? Effffffff that!

All my photos are in OneDrive so Google Photos does nothing for me. I guess I could maybe start another backup which wouldn't be a bad idea. Just transferring everything over would be a pain.
Yeah that's what I do, so I guess that's why I'm not experiencing those features.
Isn't the backup on Google photos less than full resolution unless you own a pixel or some other weirdness like that? Effffffff that!
Wut that's terrible

this_guy

You can upload in original quality but that's limited to your Google Drive space. "High Quality" uploads are still in full resolution up to 16 megapixel but file sizes are reduced so there is compression going on.

Free photo/video storage is still better than not free. I switched from OneDrive because I really do not mind them being reduced quality because while the stuff I upload does include family members I have to wonder how often people go back and look at that stuff. I only occasionally glance back at all the stuff I have captured over the years and just like uploading it for peace of mind,

Sordid

Got a used Xiaomi 5s Plus. Really good specs for the price and it's good to have basic apps like Paypal back but I miss the Windows start screen/live tiles/built in dark theme etc. Tried some of the Windows Mobile style launchers people mentioned but none of them are quite there yet. Ah well :(

Onedrive seems good though, automatically started adding new photos to my camera roll which was a nice surprise. Cortana still sends notifications to my laptop as well which is handy.

Edit: Keeping my 950 XL for work/music/photos etc, the 2(!) rear cameras on the new phone just don't compare.

Edit 2: I know the specs are slightly better but it's crazy how much quicker apps open on the new phone, Facebook on my Lumia always took an age to load but it's almost instant here. Same with the Play Store vs the Windows Store.

Blackhead

Redarse
Has it come out anywhere beyond the US?
Don't think so
The hardware doesn't matter. If it's running anything other than Android it won't matter.
Time to give it up. A Surface Phone not running Android is going to fail. I'd consider it if UWP apps ran natively on it along side Android apps. Get rid of everything Google.
*ugh* no. Define failure! Will another mobile operating OS surpass Android (80%) or iOS (20%)? Nope. But what's wrong with carving out a 10% niche? Mac has been surviving with 5-10% for decades and Apple is thriving. There would be no iPhone without the Mac...

What bothers me the most is not just that there's no new phone (and the old phones were already being converted to Android lite) but the ecosystem around that: there's no Surface tablet smaller than 12"! Microsoft Band was discontinued! I mean ffs shitty Fitbit is still the best selling wearable and Samsung managed to get some traction with Tizen smartwatches. You can't tell me that Microsoft isn't able to try making a successful smartband/watch because of Android and iOS dominance...

Anyway, I love Panos and have been impressed by the stuff Microsoft had actually put out. Fingers crossed this May Cloud event also fixes tablet mode for Windows 10

hadareud

The Translator
It fully depends on which direction they'll be coming from.

If they offer new "phones" they will inevitably fail. 10% is a pipe dream at this stage, it's where they were and they fucked that up so badly that there's no way back.

If they release a "mini PC" platform (and name it something that isn't as shit as that and market it properly) that is also able to provide phone functionality there's a chance to carve out a niche of business and enthusiast users that could potentially make it a viable, if not profitable business. Phones have peaked and I'm not saying that this could be the next big thing (it won't be) but it could maybe work.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If they offer new "phones" they will inevitably fail. 10% is a pipe dream at this stage, it's where they were and they fucked that up so badly that there's no way back.

This is the truth that we have been getting at. A new shiny phone with a new form factor and windows 10 is meaningless because it can't do all the social things and the mobile things that people now do on phones.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but other than Snapchat, which social things are missing?

Its not about missing Snapchat, things that are there runs like shit.

On my Android, I get update for my Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram even MS apps almost every other day. Yes its insane. The apps runs drastically fast and better on my Pixel than it ever did on my 950XL.

I open msessnger (my most used app) and it opens by the time I blink. I was shocked how well Android and iOS are supported. Having app means nothing if the last update was 6 months ago.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah I think at this point we are past the "it runs every app I need" argument when the competition runs every app, without qualifiers, plus every new app and game, and is better supported and everything runs better. Including most Microsoft apps.

There is no point to it. None. I'm not saying you can't find a thousand people who can justify owning one, you can find people that justify owning fake caked-mud jeans, but that doesn't mean it justifies large investment or an ecosystem.

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but other than Snapchat, which social things are missing?

Tindr, and pretty much all other location based dating apps.

And the next big social hit is sure to miss WP by at least a few months... Until a 3rd party app that's actually better than the official gets shut down and then another few months if ever to have it available officially.

Sordid

Discord for me, there's an unofficial one but it wasn't very good. The web app didn't work properly in Edge either.

I'm amazed by how well LastPass is integrated into Android. It can fill passwords into other apps as well as Chrome. Beats opening LastPass, entering your pin, finding your site, copying the password you want then pasting it into your app/browser on Windows Mobile.

Treo360

So about that conference that's coming around....

*crickets*

Ah windows Mobile, I started with you during the pocket pc days, betrayed you for a while with palm, dabbled with what would become ios for a bit, got bit by Zune and then got bit hard by Zone HD and metro, strayed into Android and the early gingerbread tablet scene and the first galaxy devices and even the Evo 3d.

Windows phone 7 came and went, and so did the manufacturers. The rest is more of the same and real shame.

It's been fun, I'm going to look cautiously at your inevitable reboot, but for once, I'm going to wait it out.

I finally jumped ship yesterday. RIP Lumia 920. February 2013 - April 2017. I remember wanting a Lumia phone for years. Starting with the 800 I never got. It just looked great and I didn't want Android and definitely nothing Apple. The first 2 years were exciting times for the phone. And it still ran steady all the way until the end.

I got an LG G6 and now must begin the process of getting accustomed to that. To early to say what I miss most.

I did a clean install of the creators update on my 950 yesterday but I still have problems. Main thing is the touch screen becoming unresponsive after a while.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Wish the Bands hardware wasn't garbage (strap durability) and a person didn't have to worry about MS abandoning the platform. Got notifications on my Charge 2 through my S8, but it just isn't the same as the Band. Probably should have went with the Blaze since it is a closer class of device but I wasn't a fan of how it looked.

Saw a leak of a new Fitbit watch, which is a bit better, but do they really have to have the Fitbit name emblazoned on the device.. Such a waste of space and looks ugly.

Paganmoon

Wish the Bands hardware wasn't garbage (strap durability) and a person didn't have to worry about MS abandoning the platform. Got notifications on my Charge 2 through my S8, but it just isn't the same as the Band. Probably should have went with the Blaze since it is a closer class of device but I wasn't a fan of how it looked.

Saw a leak of a new Fitbit watch, which is a bit better, but do they really have to have the Fitbit name emblazoned on the device.. Such a waste of space and looks ugly.

if you're going to spend a few hundred on a activity band, mind as well add another hundred and get a smartwatch instead.

Even the blaze lacks so much really, it's not worth the price tag. I've gone from Charge HR to Blaze, to Gear S3. and I think the Gear S3 does pretty much everything I need, notifications, I can even reply to messages directly, it syncs with the phone if I dismiss the notification on the watch (and vice versa). Hell, it's even got a Spotify app, that's actually more responsive than the one on Windows Phone.

NeOak

if you're going to spend a few hundred on a activity band, mind as well add another hundred and get a smartwatch instead.

Even the blaze lacks so much really, it's not worth the price tag. I've gone from Charge HR to Blaze, to Gear S3. and I think the Gear S3 does pretty much everything I need, notifications, I can even reply to messages directly, it syncs with the phone if I dismiss the notification on the watch (and vice versa). Hell, it's even got a Spotify app, that's actually more responsive than the one on Windows Phone.

I'm thinking of getting a Gear S3 Frontier and use the LTE.

Paganmoon

I'm thinking of getting a Gear S3 Frontier and use the LTE.

I've got the Frontier, non-LTE version.

Quick review:
GPS works nicely within the city, but if I go out into woody and hilly parts for runs, it seems to be hit or miss at times. Works great with Bluetooth headsets, if you want to leave your phone at home for exercises. Wifi works great as well, I connect to my gym's wifi, and stream Spotify instead of having MP3's on the watch when I'm at the gym (leave the phone at home then as well). I also noticed if I'm at the gym with the Gear S3, phone's at home, if I get a notification on the phone, it's still sent to the Gear S3.
Spotify app can act as "remote" to your phone or computer, or stream directly, but as of yet does not have offline playlists, so if you want to use Spotify, Wifi is a must (or Bluetooth if you just want to remote your phone I think).
Does not have continuous HR monitor, instead checks your HR every now and then during the day. Checks much more often if in exercise mode (if you start any exercise with the s-health app on the watch, or if it detects an exercise).
Has a good range of exercises in the s-health app, but does lack some (no weight training, and selecting "other exercise" disables the HR monitor, so "other exercise" is sort of useless, I usually select Yoga, just to get the HR stats).
I like the fact that I can dismiss any notification on the watch and it's also dismissed on the phone. Also, I can select, "show on phone" on notifications (emails, sms, etc), and it auto-unlocks the phone and shows the notification.

The floor counter is a bit more iffy than on the Fitbit, seems to miss floors every now and then, seems to be extra sensitive if you don't move your arm as much when walking up stairs, compared to the Fitbit.

The S-health app all in all seems more feature filled compared to Fitbits app, it's also got better food database as far as I can tell. Though it cannot sync with Withings scales.

There was another downside to it I was going to write, but I lost track. I'll add it later if I remember.

Paganmoon

Like, I think it could be a good idea, for low end, and cheap devices, but them demoing it on the Surface Book was all kinds of "what the fuck?", also putting it on a $1000 laptop is another "what the fuck?".

Also, checking Windows Phone/Mobile subreddit is all kinds of hilarious right now. Then again, I suppose it always was.

clav

Surface looks like it has to retain its branding by including hardware support for its exclusive accessories like Pen and Dial.

However, seems like Surface Laptop was set to launch with standard Windows 10 hence why everyone's confused with the forced inclusion of Windows 10 S on a $1000 device.

Developers can't even code without paying $50 more after the free upgrade period expires. Microsoft should launch Surface Laptop with standard Windows 10. Its current strategy will really confuse buyers.

We'll see what these $189 devices look like. That's what I walked away from today's announcement. Manufacturers have been complaining about the cost of Windows licenses. Build quality on Chromebooks is significantly better than build quality of Windows laptops in same price range.

Wasn't a fan of the Surface Laptop when it was first revealed, but I think that is because it isn't marketed towards somebody like myself who cannot afford an $1000 Laptop. Compared to the 12" MacBook and MacBook Air it seems like a really good computer and dare I say, a better value for what you are getting at those price points.

I have to say Microsoft is doing a good job expanding their PC offerings compared to Apple. They now have the Surface Laptop as an option against the MacBook Air/MacBook, the Surface Book compared to the MacBook Pro, Surface Studio compared to the iMac, and you also have the Surface Pro as an option for somebody more into Art/Writing over the Surface Laptop. I would like to see a regular Surface and maybe a Surface Mini for the $300-$400 tablet market, but given that even Apple is starting to struggle selling iPad's I can see why they aren't bothering.

Does the laptop even go flat to make good use of the pen?

Crazy how they didn't even show tiles/tablet mode once. I guess we won't see tiles for Windows 11.

NeOak

I've got the Frontier, non-LTE version.

Quick review:
GPS works nicely within the city, but if I go out into woody and hilly parts for runs, it seems to be hit or miss at times. Works great with Bluetooth headsets, if you want to leave your phone at home for exercises. Wifi works great as well, I connect to my gym's wifi, and stream Spotify instead of having MP3's on the watch when I'm at the gym (leave the phone at home then as well). I also noticed if I'm at the gym with the Gear S3, phone's at home, if I get a notification on the phone, it's still sent to the Gear S3.
Spotify app can act as "remote" to your phone or computer, or stream directly, but as of yet does not have offline playlists, so if you want to use Spotify, Wifi is a must (or Bluetooth if you just want to remote your phone I think).
Does not have continuous HR monitor, instead checks your HR every now and then during the day. Checks much more often if in exercise mode (if you start any exercise with the s-health app on the watch, or if it detects an exercise).
Has a good range of exercises in the s-health app, but does lack some (no weight training, and selecting "other exercise" disables the HR monitor, so "other exercise" is sort of useless, I usually select Yoga, just to get the HR stats).
I like the fact that I can dismiss any notification on the watch and it's also dismissed on the phone. Also, I can select, "show on phone" on notifications (emails, sms, etc), and it auto-unlocks the phone and shows the notification.

The floor counter is a bit more iffy than on the Fitbit, seems to miss floors every now and then, seems to be extra sensitive if you don't move your arm as much when walking up stairs, compared to the Fitbit.

The S-health app all in all seems more feature filled compared to Fitbits app, it's also got better food database as far as I can tell. Though it cannot sync with Withings scales.

There was another downside to it I was going to write, but I lost track. I'll add it later if I remember.

Tempting.

Yeah, they have to innovate the phone market. It's over due for something new and exciting.

I hope they'll actually do something interesting and not put out another Surface Laptop class of device. God, that still hurts.

e: What also annoys the shit out of me lately is that they think they invented 2-in-1s.

No one before us thought of 2-in-1s, and we created that category and made it a successful category to the point where there are more 2-in-1s coming.

Asus released their Transformer devices a year before the first Surface. They weren't as successful or premium, but in no way did Microsoft invent that category.

gamz

I hope they'll actually do something interesting and not put out another Surface Laptop class of device. God, that still hurts.

Surface Laptop is great for people who just want a high end laptop. Nothing wrong with that in the Surface family. It was needed.

The Surface line has been doing something interesting year after year. It's the only tech conference that is a must watch.

hadareud

The Translator
The Maldonado avatar has made Brot angrier than usual.

Even his non-angry posts sound angry with that avatar next to them.

Paganmoon

e: What also annoys the shit out of me lately is that they think they invented 2-in-1s.

No one before us thought of 2-in-1s, and we created that category and made it a successful category to the point where there are more 2-in-1s coming.

Asus released their Transformer devices a year before the first Surface. They weren't as successful or premium, but in no way did Microsoft invent that category.

Straight out of the Apple playbook right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm at a conference in Texas and my surface book crapped out. Great timing. I don't have any recovery options and I can't connect to the hotel WiFi to download a recovery image. This thing has always been buggy, crazy that Microsoft can't even get their own devices right. I'd caution against the laptop, at least until people have more time with it.

NeOak

I'm at a conference in Texas and my surface book crapped out. Great timing. I don't have any recovery options and I can't connect to the hotel WiFi to download a recovery image. This thing has always been buggy, crazy that Microsoft can't even get their own devices right. I'd caution against the laptop, at least until people have more time with it.
Damn, what city?

Surface Laptop is great for people who just want a high end laptop. Nothing wrong with that in the Surface family. It was needed.

There are expensive, premium Ultrabooks on the market. Samsung, HP, Asus, Dell, Lenovo and Acer make pretty good or even really good devices in that category. Meanwhile Microsoft bastardized their own premium brand for creators for a "me too" device with a terrible pen solution, because that's what the Surface brand is known for. Please tell me, which market needs an expensive laptop that isn't future-proofed and comes with a restricted OS? The most offensive thing about the SL is that is literally doesn't do anything new. Nothing. It's your bog standard clamshell ultrabook that has existed for almost a decade now. Again, who needed that?

gamz

There are expensive, premium Ultrabooks on the market. Samsung, HP, Asus, Dell, Lenovo and Acer make pretty good or even really good devices in that category. Meanwhile Microsoft bastardized their own premium brand for creators for a "me too" device with a terrible pen solution, because that's what the Surface brand is known for. Please tell me, which market needs an expensive laptop that isn't future-proofed and comes with a restricted OS? The most offensive thing about the SL is that is literally doesn't do anything new. Nothing. It's your bog standard clamshell ultrabook that has existed for almost a decade now. Again, who needed that?

A lot of people have been asking for MS to make this ever since the Surface line came out. We will see if the sales are good. I don't know why you are so angry about it. There's​ other choices in the Surface line if it doesn't suite your needs or other OEMs. *Shrugs*

Top Bottom