• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Aang was pretty consistently portrayed as being spiritual, or at least not having any trouble in that area. he was shown meditating on multiple occasions and was quick to grasp any spiritual shenanigans going on around him.

Surely this wasn't the case early on. Didn't he need to receive specific training from that monk dude, err guru who hung out by himself in the empty air temple? I thought he was pretty impatient at times, but yeah for sure towards the end of avatar he became extremely spiritual.

Verelios

Yeah, Aang was always more of the spiritual type. It could be seen by his visits to
the spirit world, and his interactions with the Guru. Who, by the way, commented on Aangs speed in releasing his chakra's

Question though: How could Korra do every type of bending when she was small? Wouldn't she have had a hard time with at least fire bending? Does that mean Aang was just kind of~ and that Korra is more adept at it?

I thought there had to be the selection test? What happened to that?

Edit: ^^
He only needed to recieve training from the guru because he had damaged his Chakra's, and needed help opening them again to induce the Avatar state. He was always naturally spiritual.

apana

The earth spirit chooses a human body for each incarnation. That body has genes like any other but the earth spirit can make physical changes to the human body without having to modify the genes. Someone hand me my Avatar nobel prize.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Please leave Star Wars Prequels out of this force does not equal bending on any level.

Prequels? Nothing he said is prequel related. The Force has always been an innate thing implied to be related to lineage. It's not a coincidence that the son of Anakin Skywalker (even before it was decided to make him the same character as Darth Vader) was a powerful potential Jedi.

There's no way to believably claim bending in Avatar does not owe something to Star Wars and the Force. It's not the only inspiration, obviously, but these guys are basically elemental Jedi run through a kung fu movie filter.

Black-Box

Yeah, Aang was always more of the spiritual type. It could be seen by his visits to
the spirit world, and his interactions with the Guru. Who, by the way, commented on Aangs speed in releasing his chakra's

Question though: How could Korra do every type of bending when she was small? Wouldn't she have had a hard time with at least fire bending? Does that mean Aang was just kind of~ and that Korra is more adept at it?

I thought there had to be the selection test? What happened to that?

Edit: ^^
He only needed to recieve training from the guru because he had damaged his Chakra's, and needed help opening them again to induce the Avatar state. He was always naturally spiritual.

I think Korra is having a easier time because she wants it, while Aang didn't want the powers at first, so he was probably resisting a lot because deep down he didn't want it at first

The earth spirit chooses a human body for each incarnation. That body has genes like any other but the earth spirit can make physical changes to the human body without having to modify the genes. Someone hand me my Avatar nobel prize.

I was just writing this....there is no special "avatar gene".

And if I'm not mistaken, it's not instantaneous either. The avatar spirit has two weeks to find a host(before its birth).

Wiseblade

I think Korra is having a easier time because she wants it, while Aang didn't want the powers at first, so he was probably resisting a lot because deep down he didn't want it at first

Korra has an easy time because she's awesome incarnate.

And the thread title is fixed! Piece by piece, this is starting to come together.

iavi

In the first series, was it ever stated that only the Avatar could
'spirit bend'.
Korra being
spiritually weak pretty much writes her away from it, and maybe even makes her a tad susceptible to it? Might be Amon's key

Poyunch

The only problem I have is the credits aren't as good as the original's. It's nice but I LOVED the credits in the original Avatar.
not their fault, I believe all press websites have super easy passwords

Yeah. I forgot which E3 it was but the same thing happened with Nintendo. It was even a similar password and username except replaced with "Nintendo".

In the first series, was it ever stated that only the Avatar could
'spirit bend'.
Korra being
spiritually weak pretty much writes her away from it, and maybe even makes her a tad susceptible to it? Might be Amon's key

The last known being to use energybending was the lionturtle, who passed it on to Aang. So no, you don't need to be an Avatar to use it. Your heart and mind have to be completely pure in order to use energybending and not get killed by it, however.

Wiseblade

The only problem I have is the credits aren't as good as the original's. It's nice but I LOVED the credits in the original Avatar.

Yeah. I forgot which E3 it was but the same thing happened with Nintendo. It was even a similar password and username except replaced with "Nintendo".

I'd imagine the passwords are deliberately dumb so that members of the press can access the site easily. Although in this case...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
not their fault, I believe all press websites have super easy passwords

They don't have to have these sorts of logins though. Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean they have to.

Of course, with the ease of login, maybe they did it on purpose.

ReiGun

Oh man. First ep is out?! Oh man.

T0vQ1.gif

Watched the first episode, after much internal conflict. It was amazing. All the callbacks and the music and the animation were all great. I laughed and teared up a few times too, especially when
the music when Korra took Naga out for a walk started playing, and Katara talked about how all her friends were dead, and the Toph statue.

I eagerly await the next episode.

Kuga

I wonder if we'll get any closure with the rest of the previous cast. A:tLA is one of the few series where I like the antagonist(s) and side characters enough to wonder what happened to the lot of them. Hope it delves a bit beyond stuff like the
"Zuko's mom"
comment.

I STILL have problems with the level of technological development that has taken place over only 100 years. I have to actively work my suspension of disbelief on that one.

GCX

I STILL have problems with the level of technological development that has taken place over only 100 years. I have to actively work my suspension of disbelief on that one.
Eh, it's perfectly realistic. Just compare a year like 1880 to 1980 and boom, suddenly there's cars and skyscrapers and TVs and rocket ships and stuff.

Poyunch

Going from 1890 to 1990 in automobiles and you'll see it's not that weird. Plus everyone's working together now. It's pretty easy to do amazing stuff when you can basically use and manipulate the planet's resources so easily.

apana

It's 70 years and the only major thing that they did is make tall buildings (earthbending helped) and cars otherwise the fire nation and others were already pretty advanced. Again, just look at this past century or a little further back for examples. What changed from 1870-1940?

iavi

It's only been 70 iirc, and from what I'm gathering,
that's what the big dichotomy is. A bending focused state vs one that's better for all; holding the common society's advancement back to make sure it never advances from reach etc..etc..
it fits.

Eh, it's perfectly realistic. Just compare a year like 1870 to 1970 and boom, suddenly there's cars and skyscrapers and TVs and rocket ships and stuff.

But that was a continuous development. 1970 was 1970 because 1870 was 1870. I don't see the progression here. This is like if we went from mid-Qing Dynasty to the People's Republic in 70 years.

apana

But that was a continuous development. 1970 was 1970 because 1870 was 1870. I don't see the progression here. This is like if we went from mid-Qing Dynasty to the People's Republic in 70 years.

322-2-13.jpg

Firenation-Tundra-Tanks.png

20110107183828!Ozai's_Airship.png

Waterbending-powered_submarine_sideview.png

Qing dynasty must have been pretty badass. It's clear that in the Avatar world which was very tribal, focused on bending, and in the middle of a war that technology was not sweeping the world eventhough it was being steadily developed. When peace time came you had an explosion of development and innovation.

Crocodile

HOLY SHIT, I was just strolling through Off-Topic and stumbled upon this gem of a news bite. Saw the first episode and it was every bit as awesome as I expected. However, between this and DC Nation, I'm kind of annoyed that Saturday mornings are becoming relevant again. I haven't gotten up before noon on a Saturday in like a decade if I didn't have work to do, an errand to run or some sort of special event. I'd rather not change that habit if I can avoid it :(

Also LOL at that epic troll near the beginning. You know the one.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So watched the first episode and well it freaking delivered!

Also spoilers.
We need an episode dedicated to toddler Korra and that troll was GOLD :LOL.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Can you imagine the exponential scientific advances humankind would go through if we had magic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom