• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of ( Hearts DS , World: RM2 PSP ) first screens, first video: post #267

Link1110

Ydahs said:
ToH does indeed look awesome.

Another Tales game for Wii? :D :D

Hope it's using an engine made for Wii instead of the Abyss engine.
KoR used the Abyss engine? It looked to play more like Innocence from the videos.

Rpgmonkey

So it's going to cost $80 instead of Innocence's $60 then? :)

Jokes about the cart size aside, I found it funny that Shing is voiced by Testuya Kakihara and Kohak is voiced by Marina Inoue.

Simon and Yoko. >_>

Wilsongt

Excitement low unless we get an announcement localization. :(

It would have been awesome to play Tales of Innocence... *shakes fist at Namco* On the TotW front... Kinda want. I played a bit of the first on PSP, but put it aside for other games. IT was a neat game to play in short bursts.

Ydahs

Link1110 said:
KoR used the Abyss engine? It looked to play more like Innocence from the videos.
I'm talking about graphics. It seemed to be running on a modified Abyss engine.

jarrod

Banned
ToS/TotA/KoR all use the same base engine, only tweaked and upgraded. Similarly to what EAD does for Mario/Zelda (M64/OoT/MM and Sunshine/TWW/TP all use the same base engine).

I'm really liking how ToH is looking.

I'm hoping NP tease from the last magazine is for this game. You know with the "Whole lot of Heart" thing.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
I've made it a point to play every Team Destiny game regardless of moonspeak exclusivity, except for Rebirth (started it, got distracted, on my epic "to play" list). This will be no exception, import day one. I do not trust Hometek to bring this over, especially after blessing us with Radiant Mythology yet passing on Innocence. Good game Namco, good game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Spirtes on the DS? Never coming to America confirmed.

What's a mothership entry for Tales anyway?

Kintaro

Rpgmonkey said:
Just another name for "mainline game".

What the hell is a "mainline" game in Tales?

I wasn't aware that SCEA's policies applied to the DS.

If Tales of Innocence isn't coming out in the US, what makes you think THIS will? :lol

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Aeana said:
As much as I'd love to add hate to SCEA, this has always been Hometek's call. They were apparently approached by Working Designs to localize Destiny 2 and XSEED to localize Rebirth and they would not allow it.

jarrod

Banned
Aeana said:
Dunno about DS, but they seem to apply to Hometek. :(

I still can't understand why Hometek's afraid of DS... there's literally a mountain of interesting imports they're just sitting on (Game Center CX, Taiko DS 1-2, Game Training, TOI, Famista DS, Quickspot 2, etc). And instead of any of that, we get NamPandas? :/

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
jarrod said:
Dunno about DS, but they seem to apply to Hometek. :(

I still can't understand why Hometek's afraid of DS... there's literally a mountain of interesting imports they're just sitting on (Game Center CX, Taiko DS 1-2, Game Training, TOI, Famista DS, Quickspot 2, etc). And instead of any of that, we get NamPandas? :/
They sat out on the GBA until the VERY end, releasing 4 year old GBA games in English (Mr. Driller 2, Klonoa 2, Tales of Phantasia) after the DS had been released. I can guarantee their ass-backwards thinking is that Tales DS games are being held back by whatever likely exaggerated expectations they had for Phantasia GBA's sales (unless that was all Nintendo's bill since they published it).

I really want to be excited for Hearts, but I really can't see it being localized. So, it'll be another Tales game I want to play but never will.

duckroll

So... Tales of Heart.... 2D. Cool. 3D and Anime movies.... why.... I guess Tales have run out of ideas then.... peace.

Kintaro

duckroll said:
So... Tales of Heart.... 2D. Cool. 3D and Anime movies.... why.... I guess Tales have run out of ideas then.... peace.

Huh? Isn't this what they always do? Sans the 2D as of late anyway.

Rpgmonkey

Kintaro said:

I don't think anyone knows to be honest unless Namco says so.

Mostly all we know that aren't are games with massive collections of various characters (The World games).

duckroll said:

That was...simple. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hmm..wonder when we'll hear about the Wii title. Maybe next week? Or more likely, TGS.

duckroll

Kintaro said:
Huh? Isn't this what they always do? Sans the 2D as of late anyway.

nah... Like Final Fantasy... it's all 3D... Tales always used 2D movies.... in Hearts you select Animation Version..... or 3D Movie Version.... 2 versions of movies.... why..... peace.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Everybody gets a turn being the tales mothership! They're like the town whore!

I've never played a Team Destiny game. Abyss is enjoyable so far. Kind of...long.

Meier

duckroll said:
nah... Like Final Fantasy... it's all 3D... Tales always used 2D movies.... in Hearts you select Animation Version..... or 3D Movie Version.... 2 versions of movies.... why..... peace.
Did someone hack duckroll? :lol

jarrod

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Get Tales of Destiny II (Eternia) for PS1/PSP if you're interested. It's the last/best one available in English.
Eternia's not Team Destiny, it was made before the mega-expansion into 2 Tales teams.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
jarrod said:
Eternia's not Team Destiny, it was made before the mega-expansion into 2 Tales teams.
Technically true, but Team Destiny's games build off of Eternia's engine (with mostly the same staff, if I recall).

kiryogi

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Technically true, but Team Destiny's games build off of Eternia's engine (with mostly the same staff, if I recall).

Most of the same staff was actually Team Symphonia from that point. Never was quite too sure though.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
yaaaaay! another tales game never to be localised in english!

duckroll

kiryogi said:
Most of the same staff was actually Team Symphonia from that point. Never was quite too sure though.

There are ways we can check that, but I'm not going to do it alone. TOO MANY NAMES! :lol

Kintaro

dionysus said:
Wasting budget on something that adds no value to the game for the sake of a bullet point in PR. That is why not.

Did it come out of your pocket? No? Then STFU who cares.

duckroll

Kintaro said:
Did it come out of your pocket? No? Then STFU who cares.

Why does it matter whose pocket it came out of? He has a valid point. Obviously you cared enough to reply to him, so stop being so rude.

Datschge

duckroll said:
Tales used 3D movies along the anime ones since ToD PS1, this is only the first time they dare use it for characters as well (with predictable results). The conference article implies there may be two versions of the game, one anime and one CG, just another way of Namco not making up its mind and try to doubledip instead.

The ToE staff pretty much formed Team Destiny. The one notable exception was Hasegawa who built pretty much a totally new team around Team Symphonia (there are plenty people shared between both teams though, some disappeared after ToS to reappear in ToS-R or appear as part of Creek & River in TotA). It's not that hard to check staff lists.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
kiryogi said:
I wouldn't be surprised either way, but there's definitely a feeling of natural familiarity and progression from Eternia to the later 2D games (Destiny 2, Rebirth, Destiny R). You don't get that same feeling from the Team Symphonia games, the Alfa System games or Legendia, even if it's minor nuances that separate them in that regard.

Princess Skittles said:
As much as I'd love to add hate to SCEA, this has always been Hometek's call. They were apparently approached by Working Designs to localize Destiny 2 and XSEED to localize Rebirth and they would not allow it.

The latter has nothing to do with the former: one is motivated by Namco's unwillingness to negotiate with SCEA over their policies (at the time of ToD2's release, the game would not normally have been allowed on PS2 unless sold at a budget price), while the other is motivated by Namco's across-the-board policy refusal to allow any of their games to be localized in America by another company, regardless of circumstance.

JaMarco

charlequin said:
while the other is motivated by Namco's across-the-board policy refusal to allow any of their games to be localized in America by another company, regardless of circumstance.
didnt Nintendo localize Phantasia?

jarrod

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
Symphonia and Phantasia were still localized by Namco, they were just published by Nintendo.
Namco published Symphonia in America too. Nintendo did in Europe though.

duckroll

Datschge said:
Tales used 3D movies along the anime ones since ToD PS1, this is only the first time they dare use it for characters as well (with predictable results). The conference article implies there may be two versions of the game, one anime and one CG, just another way of Namco not making up its mind and try to doubledip instead.

I was referring to the decision to have TWO versions of movies for the game. Seems really dumb to me. :)

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
I was referring to the decision to have TWO versions of movies for the game. Seems really dumb to me. :)
So... are they going to pokéSKU it? Maybe that's how they'll hit 400k, the usual 200k Tales DS buyers will need to get each flavor? :lol

jarrod

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
I've heard Nintendo played a large part in getting Symphonia over here either way, not sure if it's true though.
NOA? I don't think so... NOE was key though, they did localization themselves iirc.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Kintaro said:

To Namco, it seems like they think any game that's not a Narikiri(sp?) Dungeon or Radiant Mythology game is mainline. Oh, and ToS:KoR/DotNW, that's not mainline either. They consider stuff like Innocence and Legendia to be mainline.

Personally, I think most people consider Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Destiny 2, Symphonia, Rebirth, Abyss, and Vesperia as the real mainline games.

Top Bottom