• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of ( Hearts DS , World: RM2 PSP ) first screens, first video: post #267

SantaC said:
So there will be a mainline Tales games on Wii because ToS:KoR moved units?

Does anyone have any sales number from ToS:KoR?
Agreed that they probably didnt' decide this just because of ToS:KoR, but I think it moved 120k in its first week.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Link648099 said:
Agreed that they probably didnt' decide this just because of ToS:KoR, but I think it moved 120k in its first week.

GamerSoul

FSLink said:
The more recent Tales Destiny games had insane battle systems (Rebirth was really unique, and Destiny remake's was crazy fast), so that's why I think most people see some promise in the new screens.

QFT. :D

Desi

FSLink said:
The more recent Tales Destiny games had insane battle systems (Rebirth was really unique, and Destiny remake's was crazy fast), so that's why I think most people see some promise in the new screens.
So the "pics looking hot" has nothing to do with the actual art or graphics just playing other games (from the creators) and slapping them over the picture? I am so far out of the loop.

Firestorm

Desi said:
So the "pics looking hot" has nothing to do with the actual art or graphics just playing other games (from the creators) and slapping them over the picture? I am so far out of the loop.
It's 2D instead of hideous DS 3D. The battle screens show people in the air comboing and stuff like in Destiny Remake. Yeah, looks hot.

schuelma

Firestorm said:
I only understand the last graph.
Q3 08: 360 (Vesperia)
Q4 08: DS (Hearts)
Q1 09: PSP (Radiant Mythology 2)

Makes sense. And the 1st graph just shows that 360 and DS are getting the "main" titles for 08, I assume?

Shouta

Aw shit, I finished watching the video I posted and now I want to play ToDr: DC again.

Man, I'm going to have to do that after P4.

jarrod

Banned
jj984jj said:
Seems pretty coherent to me. The systems that have mothership titles are on the arrow and the systems with the ports/spin-offs aren't (with the exception of NGC), the arrow splits in 2 this year because the main titles are on both 360 and DS. If mothership titles are moving to the Wii it isn't shown on these graphs though, I guess that would be shown at the 2009 event.
Wii's actually partially inside the upper arrow if you notice (while PSP's beside the lower arrow).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
jarrod said:
Wii's actually partially inside the upper arrow if you notice (while PSP's beside the lower arrow).
But they're not actually on the arrow, I think it's just split to signify that the main titles are on both 360/DS this year.

jarrod

Banned
jj984jj said:
But they're not actually on the arrow, I think it's just split to signify that the main titles are on both 360/DS this year.
Wii's on the tail of the arrow though... guess that means KOR's somewhat more mothership than RM2? :lol

Datschge

Desi said:
So the "pics looking hot" has nothing to do with the actual art or graphics just playing other games (from the creators) and slapping them over the picture?
It's like it used to be for all games before the "it's must be realistic 3D graphic before I even care" craze started.

Team Destiny is one of the last remaining "major" developer keeping and actually expanding the staff proficient in good 2D based art and gameplay. They have a very distinct art style directed by Yasuyuki Sawadaishi which gradually made a smooth move from pure 2D to 2D sprites/3D backgrounds first in battles and since ToDr everywhere. The 2D fighter based battle system perfected in ToE had been developed further by Tatsuro Udo so far with twists making it fresh in every new game (in a way I still don't see Team Symphonia's ToV managing). They are due with a new game this December based on the Tales Studio head's Eiji Kikuchi's (2003) plan of having one major new game every two years. The ToH screen so far employ their style in various ways (distinct art style, 2D on 3D, UI, battle positioning graph). Another puzzle piece fitting in this is Shinji Tamura (who only composes for Tales Studio games wise) who mentioned working on DS sampling/sequencing on his blog the past February.

Regarding the remaining doubt if it's indeed by Team Destiny: The only other Tales related dev which handled 2D before is Alpha where the *same* staff (check it) which handled ND2 and ND3 went on doing RM1, ToI and now most likely RM2. The whole industry except niche developers pretty much moved away from 2D beginning last gen already
I'm still angry about tri-Ace tossing out their 2D staff back then, still doubt they are doing VP DS completely themselves

I'm waiting for the staff list as usual.

DataBot said:
This looks like a step back from Tales of Innocence DS a great Game that needs to be localized...

Couldnt find better pics...

awake2b_2.jpg

hermana2b_2.jpg

ange2b_2.jpg

ruca1b_2.jpg

movie7b_2.jpg

toi01.jpg

toi_1.jpg

Tales of Innocence Opening !CLICK!

Official Site

Stop...
......the pain
...I want this. :(

jarrod

Banned
Datschge said:
The whole industry except niche developers pretty much moved away from 2D beginning last gen already
I'm still angry about tri-Ace tossing out their 2D staff back then, still doubt they are doing VP DS completely themselves

I'm waiting for the staff list as usual.
what what what!?

Did this happen in the PS to PS2 transition? They should've kept the 2D guys around to form a dedicated handheld team, GBA coulda used some tri-Ace goodness. :/

Any idea where they are now?

duckroll

ivysaur12 said:
Is Dawn of the New World part of the mainline? I'm guessing not, but I keep hearing different things.

It's not a "mothership" title, no. For 2007 the Mothership title was ToI, and for 2008 the Mothership title is ToV and ToH. For 2009 there will be a Wii Mothership title. That's all we know at the moment.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
SantaC said:
what do we need to do in order to bring ToI here? Send Scamco 100 dollar bills?
maidens. lots of them.

SantaC said:
what do we need to do in order to bring ToI here? Send Scamco 100 dollar bills?
Namco cares not of earthly pleasures.

They spin a wheel with 10 "No" tiles and one "yes" and decide which games to release based on that. Rule #1 of the wheel is that you never question the wheel.

Sadist

duckroll said:
There's no way it's a Team Symphonia game if it's coming out next year. :p
Oh yeah, didn't think of that one. :/

But, it's more like: yay, rpg's for Wii. The thing needs 'em.

duckroll

Paracelsus said:
Could this be sort of a "Legendia" type of entry?

Who knows. Tales of Innocence is a mothership title even though it's by Alfa Systems. So clearly there are no hard rules in regards to what is a "mothership" title.

SantaC

duckroll said:
Who knows. Tales of Innocence is a mothership title even though it's by Alfa Systems. So clearly there are no hard rules in regards to what is a "mothership" title.

watch it be made by dimps

and be another ToT

Deku

Banned
Jesus christ, what a trainwreck of a thread.

I've been trying to find information about the announcements and I get spammed with garbage.

Poster 1: ToH looks ugly, it won't be localized.

Poster 2: ToH looks amazing!

Poster 3: Looks amazing too bad it won't be localized

Poster 4,5,6: OT about how Namco Hometek sucks.

Poster 7: Too bad it won't be localized

duckroll: useful info

Poster 8: looks ugly. Too bad it won't be localized

Poster 9: Mothership for Wii. take that!

Poster 11: some bs about each console getting their turn

Poster 12: the arrows indicate Vesperia is MAINLINE too!

Poster 13: ToR is closer to the arrow, it must be a more mainline game!

Poster 14: Looks good. too bad it won't be localized.

ughhh...

duckroll

Okay, I think we have confirmation that it is most likely Team Destiny working on ToH. In the link that neo posted earlier: http://www.gpara.com/pickupnews/news/080707_tales/

The producer Hideo Baba introduces Tales of Hearts as the "first Tales game developed internally at Namco Tales Studio for the Nintendo DS. He goes on to say that the game is follows closely in the style of Tales of Destiny PS2. Unless this is by some new internal team like ToL or ToS KoR was, it's almost certainly Team Destiny. After all, they have to have been working on something all these years.

duckroll

Shouta said:
No, considering all Team Destiny games haven't been brought over!

Shouta, crusher of dreams. :lol

DS Tales so far: 2
DS Tales brought to the US so far: 0

Team Destiny Tales releases so far: 4
Team Destiny Tales releases brought to the US so far: 0

Team Destiny Tales release + DS Tales = LOLZ

schuelma

duckroll said:
There's no way it's a Team Symphonia game if it's coming out next year. :p

Yeah, that seems unlikely. It's probably outsourced :(

SantaC

duckroll said:

Yet they bring over these mediocre tales of world/dungeon stuff for DS and PSP, I dont get it...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Deku said:
*stupid post*
NO WAY! We're talking about ToH and the Tales of conference? In this thread? :O

SantaC said:
Does that get any higher chance of localization?
Maybe if it was 3D, 3D games made internally have made it over.

Shouta

duckroll said:

Those are all the ones that haven't been localized! For the double whammy, ToR and ToDII for the PSP aren't here either!

Top Bottom