• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 2 |OT| of No Thread Name Can Do This Game Justice

GeoramA

Klocker said:
I did the same and while I had no problem up to 3.5 hours in, I restarted at normal. I kept a save from Experienced though. Went back today a couple times between and while it wasn't HARD, it was less fun, a bit more tedious.

Game is drop dead gorgeuos though!...

anybody else getting a sweet HD Jungle Strike feel when in a heli and strafing a base?:D

I've been wanting that game updated and I got a little bonus here.
YES! :D

I got a huge "Strike" vibe last night during an assault on a military base up in the mountains.

Wouldn't be surprised if that series inspired the devs here.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Any UK peeps found this game for sub-£40?

I'm talking Morrison, Sainsburys, ASDA, Tesco etc?

I'm super hyped now to get this tomorrow.

Benson said:
Is anyone else having problems with GFWL accepting the limited edition codes? Says mine are invalid :(

Huh? The fact its not a GFWL game might have something to do with that. Steam handles the DLC and everything else.

Quick question: is there any significative difference between the 360 and ps3 version graphic/performance wise?

Since the ps3 has the video upload feature, I might close an eye on the dualshock (which I don't like) and get the ps3 version.

metareferential said:
Quick question: is there any significative difference between the 360 and ps3 version graphic/performance wise?

Since the ps3 has the video upload feature, I might close an eye on the dualshock (which I don't like) and get the ps3 version.

Motion blur and a slightly better framerate in the 360 version but no tearing in the PS3 version, go with the PS3 version I'd say.

Lothars

metareferential said:

I've heard that the PS3 version runs a little better but I don't know if that's accurate but I ended up with both versions and will probably sell the 360 version eventually.

Thanks guys for the advices; I guess I'll decide which version to get the moment I buy it :lol

Performance wise they're comparable, that's good to hear. Now the decision lies on the controller.

Anyway today this game will be mine xD

metareferential said:
Thanks guys for the advices; I guess I'll decide which version to get the moment I buy it :lol

Performance wise they're comparable, that's good to hear. Now the decision lies on the controller.

Anyway today this game will be mine xD

I bought the PS3 version since the 360 version was sold out. It's the first multi-plat game I've not gotten on the 360 because like you I hate the PS3 controller, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be once I lowered the sensitivity and the YouTube feature is pretty awesome.

pr0cs

I think I may restart on an easier setting. The game is just too tedious to run and gun all the time and I don't really want to turn on unlimited health via BOLOpatch because that kills ALL of the tension.
I'm playing on 'extreme' and the game is just too unforgiving, you're swarmed way too fast and with the goofy health and ammo system it makes the game a lot harder than it should be. I lost count how many times I've died.

sdornan

Snuggler said:
Good point.

So I tried to ride a motorbike down the side of a mountain.
It actually started out pretty well but unfortunately it ended with Rico getting a tree to the face.
Downhill Fail

So awesome. Lots of potential for making up your own little games and seeing who does the best.

dk_

jet1911 said:
:lol

And here is a gif I made.

344rtyr.gif
Awseome! :lol :lol :lol

TheKurgan

metareferential said:

I have both versions and I would say they are equal graphically - maybe a slight edge to the PS3. Felt the load times where a little longer on the PS3 vs a HD intall on the 360 but nothing major. I am not a fan of the Dualshock for 3rd/1st person shooters but I felt it controlled pretty well on the Dualshock.

I would go with the PS3 version in you think you will get some value out of the youtube feature.

pr0cs said:
I think I may restart on an easier setting. The game is just too tedious to run and gun all the time and I don't really want to turn on unlimited health via BOLOpatch because that kills ALL of the tension.
I'm playing on 'extreme' and the game is just too unforgiving, you're swarmed way too fast and with the goofy health and ammo system it makes the game a lot harder than it should be. I lost count how many times I've died.
the one before that is just perfect actually! That's the difficulty I'm playing on now!

pr0cs

DMPrince said:
the one before that is just perfect actually! That's the difficulty I'm playing on now!
I was pretty sure there were only 3 levels of difficulty and I initially picked the 'middle' one.
I'm not usually interested in playing any game on easy, I suffered through all the COD games on Veteran so I know frustration but some of the design issues with JC2 make playing the game on anything but the least difficult setting not very fun.

pr0cs said:
I was pretty sure there were only 3 levels of difficulty and I initially picked the 'middle' one.
I'm not usually interested in playing any game on easy, I suffered through all the COD games on Veteran so I know frustration but some of the design issues with JC2 make playing the game on anything but the least difficult setting not very fun.
Actually. there's 4

Casual
Normal
Experienced
Hardcore

I'm actually on Experienced.

They shoot you but you won't die unless you decide to just jump right into battle where people are shooting at you from all direction :lol.

Wiggum2007

pr0cs said:

I find that in just about any open world, 'create your own fun' kind of game, I tend to play on the easier difficulty settings. Playing on hard tends to make you take the most efficient, quickest route in completing an encounter. Playing on easy allows me more fun in taking out enemies, even if I'm not going about it in the most efficient way possible.

game must be awesome, no one has taken me up on a trade offer in the buy/trade/sell thread, I think im gonna pick it up today

Im conflicted on what version, 360 or PS3, I usually always buy 360 for multiplat games unless there is a clear winner (FFXIII), and its coming down to video recording vs achievements (I don't rather care for trophies)

Any word on if the 360 version might get video recording as DLC?

pr0cs

TheVisualizer said:
Any word on if the 360 version might get video recording as DLC?
Very VERY unlikely.

if you can tolerate the terrible controller the PS3 is the obvious option

Wiggum2007 said:
I find that in just about any open world, 'create your own fun' kind of game, I tend to play on the easier difficulty settings. Playing on hard tends to make you take the most efficient, quickest route in completing an encounter. Playing on easy allows me more fun in taking out enemies, even if I'm not going about it in the most efficient way possible.
I can usually struggle through it, RF:G for example I finished on the typical difficulty settings, as well as GTA4, SR1&2 etc. The health and ammo designs in JC2 however make the move to easier a little more necessary though.
Sucks I have to start over but I think it's for the best.

pr0cs said:
Very VERY unlikely.

if you can tolerate the terrible controller the PS3 is the obvious option

I can usually struggle through it, RF:G for example I finished on the typical difficulty settings, as well as GTA4, SR1&2 etc. The health and ammo designs in JC2 however make the move to easier a little more necessary though.
Sucks I have to start over but I think it's for the best.

I'm playing on Normal in JC2 and I think RF:G was much more difficult.

Sanic

I'm playing on experienced, and i'm not really seeing the difficulty complaints. I think i've died maybe 4 or 5 times while on a mission, that's it.

Also, is a fully upgraded Pell Silverbolt 6 (first plane you unlock on the black market) the fastest plane in the game?

vixlar

I played the Demo.

First, I am not amazed about its graphics. They're not bad, but they're not awesome, specially the vehicles. Well, until you step on the edge of a cliff, and you see roads and towns far away... that is fantastic. Note: playing on Xbox 360

I didn't like how the cars control. I couldn't stay on my rail for 10 seconds, and when I try to lower my speed, I lose control of it. And I don't like you can't shoot when you are inside of it. The flying controls are decent.

I didn't like the shooting, but that's because I've been playing Bad Company 2 these days, and when I press LT to aim... I throw a grenade, hahahaha.

As many poeple say, the enemy respawn is annoying.

In the trailer, they show you a lot of ways to kill people, but the more effective is the more boring: shoot them straight.

I see my radar. I see a road 20 pixels at north. I walk to the north, and the road is like 1 mile ahead! Actually it is fantastic, but I would like the radar to be a little more zoomed in.

The grappling is fantastic, and the punch with the grapple... lol.

At last, not too good graphics, lame car controls, mediocre gun fighting, repetitive objectives, this game is booo... wait, the demo is gonna finnish... nooo, please give 10 minutes more... I need them!!!

Translating: I found a lot of bad gaming choices, but it is actually really fun.

When i see all the places I visited, I couldn't even visit half of places... and then I zoom out the map... and... Holly fucking shit!!!!!

Now it is in my list, hehe. Unfortunately I've already spend my money for this month.

Salaadin

Cars control fine for me as long as I stay on the road. I havent had any issues unless I take something stupid into the sand or dirt.

Also check for flats. The enemies seem to always aim for the tires.

vixlar said:
I played the Demo.

First, I am not amazed about its graphics. They're not bad, but they're not awesome,
you did see the seemless open world you drive your ugly car in right...
i'd say that is pretty fucking amzing actually. And looks great for a sandbox game.

but characters and vehicles don't look "amazing". agreed.

pr0cs

The Interrobanger said:
I'm playing on Normal in JC2 and I think RF:G was much more difficult.
Wow, that's surprising.
The AI in RF:G was just as vicious but you could escape them. in JC2 once you're heat level 2 or so you can't escape them, you've got helicopters chasing you and guys in jeeps shooting at you with no place to hide. You could try and run back to a faction safe house in JC2 but because the game world is so huge you'll likely die well before you arrive.
Explosive/devestating type weapons were available to you much earlier in RF:G so getting some of the more dangerous enemies out of your way is a lot easier in RF:G.

I'm not hating on the game but it seems to me they didn't spend enough time looking at the difficulty level and tried to make up for the goofy ai by throwing tons at you instead

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
KTOOOOM said:
really REALLY
what is wrong with the PS3 controller ?

The triggers are undeniably better on 360, and the analog sticks are generally too loose/too easy to get loose on PS3. Some people are also insane and think non-symmetrical analog sticks are the way to go.

pr0cs said:
Wow, that's surprising.
The AI in RF:G was just as vicious but you could escape them. in JC2 once you're heat level 2 or so you can't escape them, you've got helicopters chasing you and guys in jeeps shooting at you with no place to hide. You could try and run back to a faction safe house in JC2 but because the game world is so huge you'll likely die well before you arrive.
Explosive/devestating type weapons were available to you much earlier in RF:G so getting some of the more dangerous enemies out of your way is a lot easier in RF:G.

I'm not hating on the game but it seems to me they didn't spend enough time looking at the difficulty level and tried to make up for the goofy ai by throwing tons at you instead

In Red Faction, though, you had to run away. You can easily get away from heat in JC2 just by killing everybody within range. Flee into an isolated area and jack any helicopter chasing you. If there aren't any more enemies around then the heat will disappear.

sammy

The PS3 controller has worked well for the most part, but the DAMN L2 and R2 .... they're so squishy, they're always getting mashed when I reach for my phone or food : /
This happens with DVD's too, they're just too exposed for buttons!

The gunplay and aiming i'm fine with, I can take folks out on ground from a strategic para-sailing

Yasser

McBacon said:
Any UK peeps found this game for sub-£40?

I'm talking Morrison, Sainsburys, ASDA, Tesco etc?

I'm super hyped now to get this tomorrow.

zavvi had the limited edition online for about £35 preorder on 360/ps3, dunno if it's still at that price now

pr0cs said:
Wow, that's surprising.

It's easy as hell to escape the enemies. You can grapple-parachute your way out of almost any situation. Or just grapple to the top of the nearest building and wait until your health goes back up. As soon as you start seeing red MOVE. Anytime a helicopter appears it only makes things easier since it's so simple to hijack one. The enemies will kill you every so often, but it doesn't seem like it's to any unfair level.

vixlar

Always-honest said:
you did see the seemless open world you drive your ugly car in right...
i'd say that is pretty fucking amzing actually. And looks great for a sandbox game.

but characters and vehicles don't look "amazing". agreed.

Well, i tried to say that at first the graphics were bad... vehicles look bad actually... but in general the game graphics are awesome. I can't believe you can see at that distance. I don't know if it is real or if they use some kind of bitmap-3d subsitution (I don't know how to explain this idea) but it is amazing.

Actually, I'm playing this game on the PC, everything maxed out, and I think it's one of the best looking games yet. The one thing I love about it is the sense of speed . . . it just feels fast. I love tearing through in a forest in a jeep, trying to avoid trees. The car chases are amazing as well.

pr0cs said:
Wow, that's surprising.

Grapple/parachute away and chill for about a minute = heat gone. In RF:G you were pretty much hounded non-stop until you made it back to a safe house, and sometimes getting a vehicle was tough without getting swarmed.

TheKurgan

KTOOOOM said:
ps3.gif

360.gif

it had to be done

The Interrobanger said:
Joysticks looser than a 40 year old whore's vagina.

Triggers more busted than a 40 year old whore's face.

LMAO - a massive exaggeration but still funny.

Starting to feel bad for my poor dualshock now - once I buy some "Real Triggers" I think it will be okay.

belvedere

Junior Butler
You people and your monkey hands, I don't get it. :D

Also, the DS3 does not, and never has had "triggers".

I recall this debate happening a year or so ago.

bonesmccoy said:
Everything

Fixed. ;)

I still say buy the PS3 version over the 360 version, but lets not kid ourselves that the DS3 is a good controller design.

SirButterstick said:
Actually, I'm playing this game on the PC, everything maxed out, and I think it's one of the best looking games yet. The one thing I love about it is the sense of speed . . . it just feels fast. I love tearing through in a forest in a jeep, trying to avoid trees. The car chases are amazing as well.

Well to be fair, the PC version is much nicer looking, though I'd still say it fairs pretty well on consoles compared to its competition. Craps all over (console) GTA4, that's for sure, and it actually has a tolerable framerate, to boot.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
The Interrobanger said:
Joysticks looser than a 40 year old whore's vagina.

Triggers more busted than a 40 year old whore's face.

I don't disagree, but that was way more vivid than it needed to be.

Restarted the game last night on Normal difficulty (I was on Experienced and just not having as much fun as I should be in such an open game) using the 360 controller.

This game is rising to be my favorite sandbox action game of all time. Absolutely brilliant.

I love traveling in this game, whether it's by land, air, or sea. There's so much beauty all around you and lots of detail for such an open game. When you're not blowing shit up, it's like a tropical vacation.

PC version FTW.

justcause2_game2010-035euw.png

pr0cs

brain_stew said:
Fixed. ;)

I still say buy the PS3 version over the 360 version, but lets not kid ourselves that the DS3 is a good controller design. .

If that's the only controller you owned you would be pretty biased as well. :D

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Haven't picked this bad boy up yet. I know the sand box elements are amazing, but what about the actual missions? Is there anything there or does most of the fun come from just running around the island?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
chespace said:
I don't disagree, but that was way more vivid than it needed to be.

Restarted the game last night on Normal difficulty (I was on Experienced and just not having as much fun as I should be in such an open game) using the 360 controller.

This game is rising to be my favorite sandbox action game of all time. Absolutely brilliant.

I love traveling in this game, whether it's by land, air, or sea. There's so much beauty all around you and lots of detail for such an open game. When you're not blowing shit up, it's like a tropical vacation.

PC version FTW.

How's it feel with the controller? Way better right?

Sanic

RSTEIN said:
Haven't picked this bad boy up yet. I know the sand box elements are amazing, but what about the actual missions? Is there anything there or does most of the
fun come from just running around the island?

The actual missions are pretty good from what i've played. Nothing that'll blow you away (yet), but they're acceptable.

EvaPlusMinus said:
How's it feel with the controller? Way better right?

Its mixed. I found the shooting very unsatisfying with a controller due to the ridiculous amount of auto aim. With a mouse you can zoom in and out and pop off head shots for fun and its really satisfying and challenging but with a controller you tend to resort to just spamming the trigger and doing very little aiming. Vehicles and generally traversing the environment control better on a controller though so what I like to do is use both as the game lets you switch on the fly and will even update the icons for you in real time, it works great.

Top Bottom