• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to download the game a couple weeks ago during the free time it gave, as I used to play back in the day, but the client constantly failed, giving me a long string of numbers. After playing with the ports and such to get it work, I gave up after an hour. Anything I overlooked for a fix?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I tried to download the game a couple weeks ago during the free time it gave, as I used to play back in the day, but the client constantly failed, giving me a long string of numbers. After playing with the ports and such to get it work, I gave up after an hour. Anything I overlooked for a fix?
Try this:

Hey, just to let you know that it would probably help some other poor souls if you added to the OP the solution to the patch download error on PS4. I had to switch my DNS server to one from Japan; specifically, this address: 221.186.113.106.

I was able to replicate its success a second time after I tried Google's DNS to speed up the download (which kept giving me failures still), so it should be reliable.

I don't know if it's pertinent, but I live in Canada.

cheers

Squishy3

So I'm trying to stay on media blackout but is Stormbloods graphics better than Vanilla or Heavensward?

I'm on PS4 Pro and the lack of aliasing snd the textures are pretty bad. Not sure if the expansions updated the graphics or not.
There's a Pro update coming that'll let you run it at a steady 60 or get some more graphical improvements, but the aliasing is just FXAA so it'll always look like that. I'd expect texture quality to begin to improve in Stormblood stuff onwards, but I doubt they'll go back and rework anything from before that.

Shotterke

Did they already announce what the requirements are for playing Red Mage?
I just returned and I have no interest in playing my Dark Knight (lvl 54) or Paladin (lvl 53) so it would awesome if I could just do the Heavensward MSQ as a Red Mage when Stormblood releases.

ebil

I just returned and I have no interest in playing my Dark Knight (lvl 54) or Paladin (lvl 53) so it would awesome if I could just do the Heavensward MSQ as a Red Mage when Stormblood releases.
Being level 50.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

At the very least you will likely need to gain access to the Stormblood content first, which would potentially require you to complete the HW story and patch epilogue missions anyway first. My guess is that once you hit the main city of the expansion some quest givers will allow you to learn the jobs, but probably would require a lv 60. class first. (HW classes worked similarly.)

To be safe, I would jump back in and just go through the MSQ content through the end of HW from now until launch. Don't think you can retroactively replay that pre-requisite content as a new class...but this is all a guess based on how HW handled. (May have changed given many were upset by this in HW)

At the very least you will likely need to gain access to the Stormblood content first, which would potentially require you to complete the HW story and patch epilogue missions anyway first. My guess is that once you hit the main city of the expansion some quest givers will allow you to learn the jobs, but probably would require a lv 60. class first. (HW classes worked similarly.)

To be safe, I would jump back in and just go through the MSQ content through the end of HW from now until launch. Don't think you can retroactively replay that pre-requisite content as a new class...but this is all a guess based on how HW handled. (May have changed given many were upset by this in HW)

It has changed. To unlock the Red Mage and Samurai classes all you need to do is be level 50 and have completed the ARR 2.0 story.

kromeo

I had zero interest in red mage until the benchmark trailer. That class looks classy as hell.

Yeah I really like the look of both the new jobs. dps queue times are going to be obscene for a while though, like when ninja came out on its own

Edzi

Just to double check, what exactly do I need unlocked to do all the coil stuff? All I've got right now are the first 4 or 5 coil dungeons in my df.

Thorgal

got Warrior to 60 on my alt recently and grind out the GARO gear for it .

Now my Little female Au Ra looks Buff AF ! :p

ffxiv_29042017_225348efsr3.jpg

ffxiv_29042017_2255440cs4f.jpg

B.K.

I haven't done any Coil stuff before. Do I need to watch any videos for them? If we're doing them unsynced, I assume everything will be a pushover, but you never know. I could find a way to get myself killed to a level 1 mob.

If you need another DPS or Tank for Coil I'm down.

Just to double check, what exactly do I need unlocked to do all the coil stuff? All I've got right now are the first 4 or 5 coil dungeons in my df.

Clearing the last turn of binding coil (in this case turn 5) will unlock the second coil, and then clearing the final turn of second coil will unlock final coil. There are a few "go here, talk to this NPC" type quests in between though.

I haven't done any Coil stuff before. Do I need to watch any videos for them? If we're doing them unsynced, I assume everything will be a pushover, but you never know. I could find a way to get myself killed to a level 1 mob.

The first phase of turn 9 (AKA Turn 4 of the second coil of bahamut) will still wipe you if you fuck it up, but we can just explain that to you when we get there. Don't bother watching any videos because they're all like 30 minutes long (this was the hardest fight in the game before HW) and you don't need to know most of the mechanics, just the stuff for meteors.

Everything else is a pushover.

Luigi87

Thanks for the runs tonight GAF.
Sorry for being a bit of dead weight. Dying three times in one of the t11 attempts was embarassing.

Redx508

thx to everyone who joined for coils. if you didn't get to clear 11+ post your name maybe we can do something today(sunday).

Thanks for the runs tonight GAF.
Sorry for being a bit of dead weight. Dying three times in one of the t11 attempts was embarassing.

lol that's ok we all died in there at one point

Luigi87

thx to everyone who joined for coils. if you didn't get to clear 11+ post your name maybe we can do something today(sunday).

lol that's ok we all died in there at one point

Moi (Cheshire Ven)
Albeit I can only do it in a Full Party, as I'm undergeared and locked out otherwise D=

B.K.

I just finished a run of Weeping City a few minutes ago. I thought I was going to actually make it without dying, but I died twice to Ozma. I got marked with meteor once and got too close to the edge and fell off while trying to drop it. Then I got nuked by something while popping bubbles in the last phase. I almost made it.

Korezo

I just installed FFXIV on my pc again but every time I launch it to play I always get a error FFXIV has stopped working. Any ideas?

Omni

I've been thinking about what changes they could make to AST and WHM to maybe balance them out a bit more. Raided with both but entirely stick with AST these days.

White Mage:

- Shroud needs to be extended in duration or potency, just like Luminiferous Aether was
- Cure I/II needs their cost reduced to being them in line with Benefic I/II (I could be wrong on this point buuuut I'm pretty sure they're more expensive right now)
- Stone I/II/III should be merged and have cost reduced
- Aero II/III merged as well. Maybe adjustment to potency to compensate
- Needs some kind of party wide utility. Haste buff? Damage buff? Something. I have a legitimate fear after seeing that benchmark trailer that they're gonna give WHM more healing ability, which is the last thing it needs. I hope I'm wrong here.
- Better hate management. Shroud is such a horrible solution.
- Maybe remove or rework fluid aura into something a bit more meaningful.
- Need some kind of mitigation. Stoneskin is almost entirely useless especially with its cost.

As for actual healing potency and all that, I think it's in a great place with AST right now. It's just everything surrounding it that needs adjusting.

Astro:

- Balance card needs to go or be nerfed into the ground. Limiting it to a 10% damage increase would be fine.
- Spear needs to be reworked completely. Good on paper but entirely impractical in raids, since any decent group is using CDs in coordination with each other anyway. I'm not sure what they could do but right now it's useless.
- Merge DPS skills like I mentioned above with WHM.
- Make the stance a permanent thing. One button to switch between them.
- Adjust Royal Road a bit. IMO, having Spire/Ewer be AoE is a bit of a mistake. No one is using them in any other situation because of it. Well the cards themselves could use adjusting too in order to make them more valuable, but you get the idea. It wouldn't make people happy but in my opinion AoE should be the result of Royal Road'ing a Balance or Bole, since it's arguably the strongest Royal Road there is.
- Replace Stella with something actually useful

Think that's about it, honestly. The job is in a great spot right now. Just need card adjustments to bring things in a bit. I've thought about the idea of AST having a super heal like benediction or Cure III but at that point I think you're stepping on WHM's toes a bit too much. I guess something like an assize equivalent would be nice but it's kinda whatever

Korezo

That's non specific. Is there an error code you can google?

No code would come out, would just say this program has stopped responding and close. I just uninstalled and reinstalled it again and everything works perfect now. I think might HDD might be dying because installing and downloading stuff is taking forever.

I'm back in game! Friends built me a gaming PC (played PS4 before), so I could start playing with them again.

Since I'm used to controller, it looks overwhelming to jump back in and relearn everything.

Hotbars are a mess, but I had some issues playing w/ controller. That being that I couldn't tackle any harder content ( Alexander, Bahamut etc...).

So if anyone has tips/videos they'd recommend for a iLvl 176 ninja. Send it my way. I'm going to fill my Sunday with trying to figure this out.

I'm back in game! Friends built me a gaming PC (played PS4 before), so I could start playing with them again.

Since I'm used to controller, it looks overwhelming to jump back in and relearn everything.

Hotbars are a mess, but I had some issues playing w/ controller. That being that I couldn't tackle any harder content ( Alexander, Bahamut etc...).

So if anyone has tips/videos they'd recommend for a iLvl 176 ninja. Send it my way. I'm going to fill my Sunday with trying to figure this out.

I'm the opposite, put me in a raid with a controller and I'll manage but I could barely do a dungeon with mouse and keyboard.

Squishy3

I've been thinking about what changes they could make to AST and WHM to maybe balance them out a bit more. Raided with both but entirely stick with AST these days.

White Mage:

- Shroud needs to be extended in duration or potency, just like Luminiferous Aether was
- Cure I/II needs their cost reduced to being them in line with Benefic I/II (I could be wrong on this point buuuut I'm pretty sure they're more expensive right now)
- Needs some kind of party wide utility. Haste buff? Damage buff? Something. I have a legitimate fear after seeing that benchmark trailer that they're gonna give WHM more healing ability, which is the last thing it needs. I hope I'm wrong here.
- Need some kind of mitigation. Stoneskin is almost entirely useless especially with its cost.

As for actual healing potency and all that, I think it's in a great place with AST right now. It's just everything surrounding it that needs adjusting.

Astro:

- Balance card needs to go or be nerfed into the ground. Limiting it to a 10% damage increase would be fine.
- Spear needs to be reworked completely. Good on paper but entirely impractical in raids, since any decent group is using CDs in coordination with each other anyway. I'm not sure what they could do but right now it's useless.
- Merge DPS skills like I mentioned above with WHM.
- Make the stance a permanent thing. One button to switch between them.
- Adjust Royal Road a bit. IMO, having Spire/Ewer be AoE is a bit of a mistake. No one is using them in any other situation because of it. Well the cards themselves could use adjusting too in order to make them more valuable, but you get the idea. It wouldn't make people happy but in my opinion AoE should be the result of Royal Road'ing a Balance or Bole, since it's arguably the strongest Royal Road there is.
- Replace Stella with something actually useful

Think that's about it, honestly. The job is in a great spot right now. Just need card adjustments to bring things in a bit. I've thought about the idea of AST having a super heal like benediction or Cure III but at that point I think you're stepping on WHM's toes a bit too much. I guess something like an assize equivalent would be nice but it's kinda whatever
They probably won't change aero I/II/III actually (maybe give aero II the thunder treatment BLM is getting) but Aero III is AOE so I don't see them changing that, as it's actually a different ability instead of a more powerful version of something you already have

WhatTheFox

Neo Member

White Mage:

Wouldn't be opposed to this for selfish reasons. I feel like whm mp management is in an okay spot though; assize was a nice addition that does make a difference. Plus you also have asylum, tetra, and divine seal to help manage mp. The other two healers probably do have easier management though

I think cure is in line with the scholar physic and adlo - it's actually benefic that is out of line. When released, ast had slightly weaker potencies (with noct sect on, the potencies would be brought up to par). Made ast really hard to use so SE just kinda buffed them to the point of broken on the other extreme. Don't know how I would fix this. Probably try to bring ast a tiny bit more in line.

I agree stone 2 is completely redundant having learned stone 3. The heavy from stone 1 is still useful in certain niche situations (tornado/add phase a3s comes to mind). Wouldn't want to lose any utility, even if it's niche.

How would you suggest this change? I feel like each aero is useful in different cases. Aero 1 being instant cast is useful while on the move, aero 2 is a low cost single target dot with decent, quick damage, and aero 3 is an (expensive) aoe dot powerhouse.

This would be great. Whm already has great healing throughout but definitely lacks in utility and buffing comparatively. The only thing I'm kinda of sad about is this leads to role homogenization. It's what happened with HW too.

I personally like shroud better than luminous/quelling. Being able to dump loads of hate has saved me on many occasion. Although with a good tank and some restraint (no swiftcast divine sealed medica 2 on the pull), hate shouldn't really be an issue.

Free damage! What's not to like? I used to use the knockback to pull golem in t9 (quickly get him out of the middle and away from the others).

Agreed. Still sad they removed the trait that increased stoneskin to 18%.

Really interesting points! Thanks for sharing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When players move areas or go into instances, all item data is being moved along with the character, so if we were to add additional item slots without much thought, the amount of data being transferred could become ridiculous, network usage would skyrocket, and servers could go down.
Is this real life.

Well at least they should just do away with "key items" entirely and give us those slots...

B.K.

I just did the first six dungeons for Thoughening Up with a few people I found through the party finder. It's too bad the Heavensward dungeons can't be done undersized, or we would have finished this quest in about another hour.

Is this real life.

It was the same way in XI. One of the reasons they took so long to increase inventory space was because they said that item data loads with you every time you zone and if players had too much inventory space, it would increase loading times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom