• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
2dd.jpg

Sweet. Stormblood is getting rid of Lalas. Happy day indeed!

scy

It's really hard to talk about AST's balance without talking about The Balance. Screw that job.

In general they kind of need to approach healing (and tanking) to some extent so that there's a lot more to healing than simply a series of one-time pass/fail checks. Otherwise it'll always come down to either strict HPS checks that necessitate better throughput OR lenient enough that it comes down to take what offers the most outside healing.

But I guess we often come back to that point, huh.

P5 has completely taken over my life so I had no idea about the live letter and the benchmark lol.

Good to see DRG AF gear continues to be awesome.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Very stupid questions for expert about the avarage level equipment. Does each equipment slot bear the same importance or let's say a CHEST lvl in the total avg. score is worth more than an Earring of the same level? I need to reach lvl 200 quickly to advance the story and I was thinking focusing on accessories is, tomes-wise, less costy than main equip.

Thorgal

Very stupid questions for expert about the avarage level equipment. Does each equipment slot bear the same importance or let's say a CHEST lvl in the total avg. score is worth more than an Earring of the same level? I need to reach lvl 200 quickly to advance the story and I was thinking focusing on accessories is, tomes-wise, less costy than main equip.

iirc it's weapon > chest/legs > arms / helm / belt / feet.

Shy Fingers

Banned

For the ilvl they're all weighted the same, so for trying to get over an ilvl restriction, whatever is cheapest/easiest.

Now for how effective the item is, Thorgal here is correct:

iirc it's weapon > chest/legs > arms / helm / belt / feet.

SkyOdin

That new BLM spell is probably a Dark spell or such, but there is an off-chance that it is a Thunder-element equivalent to Flare. Lightning is purple in XIV, after all. No crackling electricity makes that unlikely though.

What seems to be like a mini Holy?

I like they added that support ability on DRK, I really wish I could play as that class but I just can't keep aggro on anything, meanwhile on PLD I can be underleveled and undergeared, spam 3-4 flash and then nothing is going to come even close to my enmity, heck I've done better with sword oath when I forget to switch to shield oarth and still do better than plating with DRK...

Yeah it's basically a mini Holy.

I noticed it has a cast animation though.

It's going to suck if they don't give you automatic Surecast when using it.

sn00zer

Hey my family now has 4 ps4s in 4 states. We are looking for games to play together. MMOS came up and I noticed ff14 is kinda free? So we've never touched MMOS before is this a good starting point? Money is a bit of an issue in that we don't want to pay monthly fees but would be willing to buy the game and expansions if they are one time buys.

So few queations:
-Is FF14 free? If not how long does the trial last time wise?
-is ff14 easy to get into for beginners?
-if ff14 doesn't seem like the right game are there any other free or one time buy games we could play as a family? Was thinking destiny might be good but something less shoot would be better. Also we like Sci if more than fantasy.

ebil

I like how the new trailer showed a single new cooldown looking move for PLD. Why even have this job if they don't care about it?
They literally showed one new move per job though, so I'm not entirely sure why you're singling out PLD here.

I agree that it's not as cool as WAR getting a gap closer or flamethrowers, but then again, what is?

So few queations:
-if ff14 doesn't seem like the right game are there any other free or one time buy games we could play as a family? Was thinking destiny might be good but something less shoot would be better. Also we like Sci if more than fantasy.
- Not free, paid game and $13-15 monthly sub. Trial has no time limit but you can play up to level 20 IIRC.
- It's pretty beginner friendly.
- Haven't really dabbled with F2P MMOs in almost a decade but maybe Guild Wars 2 would be up your alley? That one is completely free up to the expansion, which is a one time purchase.

Allard

I like how the new trailer showed a single new cooldown looking move for PLD. Why even have this job if they don't care about it?

Heavensward brought 5 new job actions and Yoshida said a similar amount was coming for this new expansion (but an equivalent amount would be culled/altered in the combat ability revamp). The one move they showed appeared be a mini holy which means AOE damage, if casted it can be spammed. Its definitely not the only complaint but a chief one was that PLD had near zero utility in helping with AOE damage unlike DRK and WAR. Every other job aside from MNK and the two new jobs only showed one new move too. Wait till May to be angry about it :p

Anaithsol

Neo Member
So few queations:

• The free trial is now unlimited with a stop point in progression once you reach level 35. To proceed past level 35 and the subsequent main scenario quests, you will have to purchase A Realm Reborn. A new license will grant you 30 days of game time free with monthly payments ($12.99 or $14.99) being necessary after said period. You can view the restrictions in place for the free trial via this link.

• It's a fairly simple game to pick up and play, but you might encounter some initial difficulties if you're new to the genre. Fortunately, they've made quite a few strides since initial release to ease new players into standard MMO mechanics.

• Destiny is most likely your best shot, but Warframe might be something to consider as well. Warframe is completely free, however, it incentives microtransactions as progression can be quite the time sink otherwise.

Kenai

That benchmark renewed my hype pretty handily. The SCH AF is looking pretty nice but the AST AF isn't too bad either, and both of them have some new toys that make me very interested to see what their effects are. I'm not really worried about the leveling process, but I assume there will be a similar Tome bottleneck at the start as before so I will have to pick one to focus on for at least a few months.

In general they kind of need to approach healing (and tanking) to some extent so that there's a lot more to healing than simply a series of one-time pass/fail checks. Otherwise it'll always come down to either strict HPS checks that necessitate better throughput OR lenient enough that it comes down to take what offers the most outside healing.

But I guess we often come back to that point, huh.

Yup. I'm fine with AST being reworked as long as the role as a whole gets a good look at. They didn't deserve their undertuned launch state any more then they deserved to be OP now.

The class will be a lot more fun if it can move away from the Draw Balance or you fail playstyle, but not at the expense of returning to an undertuned state. SE not having a new healer to worry about means that there shouldn't be any excuses about making sure the current three are all in a functional/competitive state by level 70. I don't expect everything to be perfect from the get-go cause MMO expansion launches never are, but still.

Looking cool is one thing, but there's a whole puzzle here and we can only see one corner. A bit early for doom and gloom.

ebil

That benchmark renewed my hype pretty handily. The SCH AF is looking pretty nice but the AST AF isn't too bad either, and both of them have some new toys that make me very interested to see what their effects are. I'm not really worried about the leveling process, but I assume there will be a similar Tome bottleneck at the start as before so I will have to pick one to focus on for at least a few months.
Capped tome gear will likely be shared by role this time around, since you'll be getting your AF set from job quests. Which is an excellent move IMO!

Allard

Yup. I'm fine with AST being reworked as long as the role as a whole gets a good look at. They didn't deserve their undertuned launch state any more then they deserved to be OP now.

The class will be a lot more fun if it can move away from the Draw Balance or you fail playstyle, but not at the expense of returning to an undertuned state. SE not having a new healer to worry about means that there shouldn't be any excuses about making sure the current three are all in a functional/competitive state by level 70. I don't expect everything to be perfect from the get-go cause MMO expansion launches never are, but still.

They mentioned the new Job AF gear will be quested like it was in vanilla ARR, lvl 70 quest. Unofficial translation is they didn't like the item level gap they were seeing with fresh lvl 60's trying to get geared up enough to start doing end game content (aka the two dungeon tome grind to get up high enough to do Alexander 1-4 normal and the extreme fights) so they made it easier to get the gear needed to bridge that gap by making it quested rather then grinded. The actual tome gear this time is shared right off the bat.

Kenai

Capped tome gear will likely be shared by role this time around, since you'll be getting your AF set from job quests. Which is an excellent move IMO!

They mentioned the new Job AF gear will be quested like it was in vanilla ARR, lvl 70 quest. Unofficial translation is they didn't like the item level gap they were seeing with fresh lvl 60's trying to get geared up enough to start doing end game content (aka the two dungeon tome grind to get up high enough to do Alexander 1-4 normal and the extreme fights) so they made it easier to get the gear needed to bridge that gap by making it quested rather then grinded. The actual tome gear this time is shared right off the bat.

That's actually pretty amazing, especially with the boosted inventory space. Combine that with the fact that healers (and tanks too i guess) are gonna be in high demand to scoot all the new RDMs and SAMs through the 60s and I might be sitting pretty with 2 raid-compatible healers sooner than i thought, class balance notwithstanding.

sn00zer

• The free trial is now unlimited with a stop point in progression once you reach level 35. To proceed past level 35 and the subsequent main scenario quests, you will have to purchase A Realm Reborn. A new license will grant you 30 days of game time free with monthly payments ($12.99 or $14.99) being necessary after said period. You can view the restrictions in place for the free trial via this link.

• It's a fairly simple game to pick up and play, but you might encounter some initial difficulties if you're new to the genre. Fortunately, they've made quite a few strides since initial release to ease new players into standard MMO mechanics.

• Destiny is most likely your best shot, but Warframe might be something to consider as well. Warframe is completely free, however, it incentives microtransactions as progression can be quite the time sink otherwise.

How long does it take to get to 35? I imagine we'll be largely slow

Kenai

If it's your first time ever playing an MMO then it probably will take a while yea. The genre has a few unique gameplay things that might take some getting used to, like party roles, the aggro system, ect

You can stick to the Main Story quest and a single job and level up pretty quickly doing that, but there's a lot to do off the beaten path, and in this game you can swap to a different job on the same character and that will be at level 1, so you technically have a fair amount of time you can waste.

Right now the game also actively encourages leveling at least one or two extra jobs for cross class skills as well, although that is going away soon i think.

Anaithsol

Neo Member

If you're a beginner, it'll take quite a while especially if you're engaging in other activities besides active story progression.

The thing to keep in mind though with the free trial are the restrictions in regards to player interaction. It'll be tough to play with your family properly as you won't be able to create a party for you all to join.

If you're not looking to play past the free trial or the free game time (30 days) with a license purchase, I wouldn't recommend Final Fantasy XIV or other similar MMOs.

My new 1080 got delievered today!

I ran the benchmark 3 times.

My old setup with best settings:
Code:
Score: 8864
Average Frame Rate: 60.707
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (VRAM 2017 MB)

My old setup with maximum settings:
Score: 6373
Average Frame Rate: 43.699
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (VRAM 2017 MB)

After installing the new card, maximum settings:
Score: 12799
Average Frame Rate: 94.865
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (VRAM 8127 MB)

Common data:
Windows 10 Pro 64 bits (6.2, Compilação 9200) (10586.th2_release.170303-1605)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
8142.609MB

The card has this weird button behind it that apparently overclocks it, so I might do some more testing.
I actually bought a regular 1080, but after a lot of delays, drama and bad customer support the shop said they were going to send "something extra" as an apology for my troubles. Turns out the "something" was a flippin' Galax 1080 HOF...

sn00zer

If you're a beginner, it'll take quite a while especially if you're engaging in other activities besides active story progression.

The thing to keep in mind though with the free trial are the restrictions in regards to player interaction. It'll be tough to play with your family properly as you won't be able to create a party for you all to join.

If you're not looking to play past the free trial or the free game time (30 days) with a license purchase, I wouldn't recommend Final Fantasy XIV or other similar MMOs.

Oh bummer...didnt know this

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Any pro gatherers want to give me the low down on farming Diadem? I decided to blow a bunch of my blue scrip tokens on the Minekeep/Fieldkeep sets and I want to start uberfarming.

Stuff like cordials, rotations, generally what to do. I know about this legend at least.

Redx508

for the new page

GAF Coil Runs Saturday 4/29 after 9pm est.

if you haven't done coil and want to see the story and fights now is the time. we doing them unsync.

so far we have

Xion Stellar <new>
Edzi Sedzi <new>
Cheshire Ven <new>
Bricteva Kantor <new>
Toadette Trump - Excalibur <new>
Malthus Stormwind <new>
Zomba Thirteen <new>

Cinthya Rose
Katarina Arius
Takato
Izumi Lifebloom - Ultros WHM
Keira Welch - Lamia
Nera Edelweiss - Leviathan
La Scorpion
Cheshire Ven

if you want to join or help out reply with your ingame name.

275571393637253120.png
Please Look Forward To It
275571418056359946.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom