• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeband

Banned
SCH fairy-to-enemy tether
xkyFetc.gif

It's tethering to the Dark Knight.

dramatis

I'm OK with either scenario but I will say I wish I had the ability to store at least 1 more card with Spread.

Edit: After looking at the footage on YouTube I can almost say for certain they are new Cards because the Astrologian did the Draw Animation along with the appropriate sound effects if this was a new ability Square-Enix wouldn't​ recycle those assets from Draw.
What if

SE gave us another deck of cards to draw, so we got two card decks

It's tethering to the Dark Knight.
The DRK looks like a monster

KanameYuuki

I'm OK with either scenario but I will say I wish I had the ability to store at least 1 more card with Spread.

Edit: After looking at the footage on YouTube I can almost say for certain they are new Cards because the Astrologian did the Draw Animation along with the appropriate sound effects if this was a new ability Square-Enix wouldn't​ recycle those assets from Draw.

And I think the card its being casted on the enemy so, maybe a new deck of cards with debuffs.

EDIT: plus it seems the ast right before those 2 new cards was already done drawing a balance card.

Arkeband

Banned
And I think the card its being casted on the enemy so, maybe a new deck of cards with debuffs.

EDIT: plus it seems the ast right before those 2 new cards was already done drawing a balance card.

AST is already an incredibly 'busy' class to play, adding an entire second deck would be overkill, IMO.

u look like a monster

the DRK is attacking Daigoro, Yojimbo's dog.

dramatis

NIN toad summon
8sflKpd.gif

The latest Blind spell from BLM
RgUNTbV.gif

Failure in FF14
kEhi7B9.gif

That's about it. WHM, DRK, DRG, and MNK did some typical job stuff.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm going to main RDM but AST will probably be my alt.
a9a0417bd9c2fda087d15654ff6d04c251f1c595_hq.gif

My deck is ready.

DURO

MONSUTA KADO

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Plus... I really doubt that AST's balance will remain as is.

Even if Square-Enix nerfs Balance from an extra 20% of damage down to 10% or even 5% that would still be a better DPS outcome for the Party that other Healers are currently unable to achieve/provide.

What if

SE gave us another deck of cards to draw, so we got two card decks

A Debuff Deck would be nice and it encompasses​ both speculations so far in the sense that it will be a new ability AND new cards.

ebil

Even if Square-Enix nerfs Balance from an extra 20% of damage down to 10% or even 5% that would still be a better DPS outcome for the Party that other Healers are currently unable to achieve/provide.
We don't know how they're going to rebalance the other cards, though. I'm going to take a tangent, but at some point during 3.x, people started to realize that Eos usually was a rDPS increase over Selene (which has a direct DPS increase skill), because Whispering Dawn allowed both healers to deal a lot more damage. It's not always as clear-cut as "any direct DPS increase is better than no DPS increase", context matters.

To use your example, if they nerfed The Balance to 5% while buffing The Arrow (or even leaving it the same, really), you'd probably start using The Arrow again because of risk/reward.

It says a lot that my initial reaction is "I'm not even surprised that happened" to this sequence of events.
I mean, it's not like we're allowed to have actual battle-related stuff to discuss. :(

iammeiam

Based on Rend Mind and Dismantle animations, I'm just gonna go ahead and assume the flamethrower is a super cool new oGCD that decreases Dark damage from an enemy by 4% for 10 seconds or something.

So the new primal mounts are flying dogs/wolves? In the trailer you can see some flying dogs with glows or something. There's also flying manta rays but I'm guessing the dogs are the primal mounts. Dunno.

ebil

It just occurred to me that if they're going to increase ground mount speed, they'll probably end up implementing Cloud's bike as a mount (since speed was the main reason why they never did).

Arkeband

Banned
Based on Rend Mind and Dismantle animations, I'm just gonna go ahead and assume the flamethrower is a super cool new oGCD that decreases Dark damage from an enemy by 4% for 10 seconds or something.

lol, as someone currently leveling Machinist, this cracks me up. Seriously, two of the lamest fucking abilities.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
We don't know how they're going to rebalance the other cards, though. I'm going to take a tangent, but at some point during 3.x, people started to realize that Eos usually was a rDPS increase over Selene (which has a direct DPS increase skill), because Whispering Dawn allowed both healers to deal a lot more damage. It's not always as clear-cut as "any direct DPS increase is better than no DPS increase", context matters.

To use your example, if they nerfed The Balance to 5% while buffing The Arrow (or even leaving it the same, really), you'd probably start using The Arrow again because of risk/reward.
In think that as long as Astrologian is allowed to combine Balance/Arrow with Royal Road (Ewer/Spire) he will always remain the top pick for Raids because even in your provided scenario an Astrologian would still be a better option for DPS checks because he can also apply healing over time (3 different versions that can stack) WHILE buffing the party AND also doing Damage himself.

And yes context matters alot and in my opinion a straight buff to the whole party​ is alot better than simp ly opening a window to do Damage yourself because in my experience your far more likely to run into DPS/Tanks who are busy​ dishing out damage instead of a healer who will bother doing Damage at all.

It's not like I exclusively use Balance only but I sure do aim for it every time use Draw however I already use Arrow if given no other choice or Ewer on myself when I need MP desperately (usually happens when I focused too much on DPS instead of healing) so you're proposal would change the dynamics of how I use my cards much.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

Are you saying we get to light up the night

Arkeband

Banned
This question threw me for a loop:
Q34: In Patch 4.0 we expect equipment item levels to skyrocket all at once, but will there be higher grades of materia introduced?

A34: Yes. The name is tentatively known as High Materia V, and we plan on making them easily obtainable, but they are quite powerful so we plan on restricting advanced materia melding to one time only. We plan on making regular materia more easily obtainable as well.

We would have liked to have named the new materia "Materigyo" in Japanese, but as it could affect other FF titles, we plan to implement higher grades as “High Materia V” and “Mega Materia V” (tentatively).

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't they just name the next grades of materia... VI and VII?

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This question threw me for a loop:

Am I missing something? Why wouldn't they just name the next grades of materia... VI and VII?

Because unlike in Kojiland, in Japan Materia is named with suffixes (Materia, Materiga, Materiraga, Materija etc etc) and there's really no FF conventions to keep it going past fifth tier (even fifth tier is super rare to find in an FF).

ebil

In think that as long as Astrologian is allowed to combine Balance/Arrow with Royal Road (Ewer/Spire) he will always remain the top pick for Raids because even in your provided scenario an Astrologian would still be a better option for DPS checks because he can also apply healing over time (3 different versions that can stack) WHILE buffing the party AND also doing Damage himself.

And yes context matters alot and in my opinion a straight buff to the whole party​ is alot better than simp ly opening a window to do Damage yourself because in my experience your far more likely to run into DPS/Tanks who are busy​ dishing out damage instead of a healer who will bother doing Damage at all.

It's not like I exclusively use Balance only but I sure do aim for it every time use Draw however I already use Arrow if given no other choice or Ewer on myself when I need MP desperately (usually happens when I focused too much on DPS instead of healing) so you're proposal would change the dynamics of how I use my cards much.
I don't necessarily disagree with this, but you're now moving the goal posts to AST's balance in comparison to other healers when I was simply responding to your original post, that said:
On one hand I'm glad I'm getting new cards to play around with but on the other hand I hate the fact that I'm getting new cards to play with because that significantly decreases the chances of drawing Balance.

Maybe my tangent threw you off. They're (very likely, I don't believe that they're happy with the current balance) going to rebalance cards, which means it's unlikely that you will be playing AST tomorrow just like you're playing it today, only with increased RNG. AST's internal balance will shift with changes to current cards, new abilities, and stat changes. That's the extent of my point!

Haly

Maybe my tangent threw you off. They're (very likely, I don't believe that they're happy with the current balance) going to rebalance cards, which means it's unlikely that you will be playing AST tomorrow just like you're playing it today, only with increased RNG. AST's internal balance will shift with changes to current cards, new abilities, and stat changes. That's the extent of my point.

wink.gif

Haly

MCH and SCH really got the short end of the stick there.

Xion_Stellar

Maybe my tangent threw you off. They're (very likely, I don't believe that they're happy with the current balance) going to rebalance cards, which means it's unlikely that you will be playing AST tomorrow just like you're playing it today, only with increased RNG. AST's internal balance will shift with changes to current cards, new abilities, and stat changes. That's the extent of my point!
Well for the sake of discussing the upcoming job balances the only thing I can think of right now is either nerf the heck out of Astrologian so the other Jobs seem more enticing to use or give the other Healers a different/better purpose to the other 2 healers....or give them a way to buff the party too.

As for how the Astrologian might change one thing I don't think will change regardless of upcoming changes is that buffing the party will still be the better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom