• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Too!™: Be extra nice and EA will pay you (participants may not disclose details)

I'm not sure if they bar anyone from disclosure though.

This is the whole reason there is a uproar over the MS legal document, we already know other companies do promotion on Youtube with disclosure...

Jomjom

Banned
EA was feeling threatened that they were going to lose the worst company award to MS this year, so they leaked these to shinobi.

I'm not sure even EA would put in a NDA though.

kulapik

Not new, they gave free copies of Most Wanted if the youtubers posted some videos of the game, I don't know if the had an extra CPM.

I haven't seen anyone arguing that. MS is the only one that we know of that has the NDA added into it which is the part that makes the legality come into question.

yep, people need to stop lumping everything together

Lots of companies pay people/bloggers/youtubers

It is bad and you should question everything you read/watch

Then you have companies saying they can't disclose they even are in an arrangement and/or give negative feedback.

marrec

Banned
So given the meta description in the OP, could we find specific videos from specific YouTubers who've participated in this program?

Would be interesting.

TeRey09

I haven't seen anyone arguing that. MS is the only one that we know of that has the NDA added into it which is the part that makes the legality come into question.

Isn't that that the nature of the NDA? DO NOT DISCLOSE How many of these promos have been missed because of the NDA. None of the others have been leaked or if it was leaked didn't get traction the MS promo is getting.

dreamfall

Sheeeesh.

It's getting ugly y'all. Paid advertising at low costs! Slant it properly!

But, if you're allowed to disclose that you're doing this - it feels more like glorified advertising. If not, sounds like a shady Machinima proposition!

ramuh

It's bloody sad that this is so common in EA games that they have to explicitly state this.

Lol. I saw that. So basically be extra careful with the networked uploaders you watch, as you never know that they may be influenced or not. This is all really shady imo. I would feel fine with like a simple disclosure in the beginning or end. To be barred from mentioning it sucks.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Microsoft and EA best friends forever

OMG Aero

Wonder how deep the rabbit hole goes with this stuff. Starting to wonder where can you go to get an honest opinion about things if potentially all of these companies are doing these type of contracts.
Eventually the only way to find out will be to buy the game yourself then play it.
MAYBE THAT'S THEIR MASTER PLAN ALL ALONG

Radec

EA was feeling threatened that they were going to lose the worst company award to MS this year, so they leaked these to shinobi.

I'm not sure even EA would put in a NDA though.

EA Exec#1: Fuck, looks like Microsoft nailed it again with that Xbone-Machinima thing. How can we up the ante now for this years WCotY award?

EA Exec#2: Not sure, Microsoft's cards are pretty good this time with those Xbone 180 and this.

EA Intern #1: Sir, If may I, (stops making the coffee). We also have those CPM thing like MS-Machinima remember? We can "purposely" leak it, and someone will post it on some forum and it will spread like wild fire. Not to mention we gave like 3x the amount of CPM compared to Microsoft's.

EA Exec#1: Holy shit you're right. Now get on with that coffee slave.

Is the 10$ being paid out per 1000 views too? Cause that's quite a lot more than MS' deal.

Not really surprised this is going on though, I love how they don't forbid criticism but they do forbid talking about bugs.

Based on the what was said by the Youtube content creators in the other thread, this is not uncommon. Like others have said, the NDA revealed about the Xbox One campaign was what made it particularly scummy.

It's good that this is all coming out if people aren't aware. That's what these companies are banking on even if they aren't forcing participants to keep silent but I do feel bad for the actual YouTube personalities who are looking to make a legitimate career and value their credibility. These campaigns and the swarms of content creators willing to accept them make building an audience based on your integrity a huge up hill battle.

Orayn

Except most people actually do those out of passion for the game and not monetary reasons...

True, but the big ones have attracted the wrong kind of publisher attention in the past. People have been offered resources (monetary, graphical, etc.) and guidelines for OTs, which is a pretty big no-no around here.

Tony, the Amazon video games deal guy, was publicly permabanned for trying to act as a middle-man and facilitate OT fuckery on the publishers' behalf.

bryehn

Anyone that's ever had a Comission Junction or similar affiliate account has been seeing practices like this go on for years. Happens in every industry too, not just with video games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Wow.... Youtubers were complaining about getting shut down now we see why. Everybody been eating off misleading the gamer. This is all bullshit, youtube can get rid of the monetization for all I care. Mostly all their opinions are dead to me now.

Guess the million dollar man Ted Dibiase was right after all....

I can tell you as a medium-small YouTube channel, and on my own basic principle, I have never accepted an offer that tries to censor my personal thoughts on the game, and I've been offered such deals. I've been offered by more smaller teams to make videos on their game by me sending a copy early, but I just share my thoughts on it, and make 100% sure that I don't have to 'promote' it in an untrue or dishonest way, and simply if the game is good, I'll speak for it and push my love for it, if it's bad, I'll just say what I don't like about it.

I also know I'm not the only one who does this. The only higher profile YouTuber I know a bit personally is Cry or Cryaotic, and I know for a fact he doesn't accept offers of the sort either.

I bet some do, but sometimes it can be a bit easy to tell who's 'selling out' and who's not.

If you guys think only gaming publishers do stuff like this..................................

Every clothing, make up, jewelry, "life-style" company does the same exact thing. Every "December Haul", "Best of..." etc. video series by semi-famous to famous vloggers are paid and sponsored by corporations.

Zornack

I don't see what's wrong with these. The big issue with the Microsoft stuff was that they required positive coverage and forbid disclosure. Both of the images say talking about improvements you want to the game is fine and there's nothing about forbidding disclosure.

Top Bottom