• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Too!™: Be extra nice and EA will pay you (participants may not disclose details)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Am I the only person who doesn't have a clue what CPM means?

CPM means a general estimate of how much you earn for every thousand monetized views you get. Estimated since factors like where the person who saw it is located, if they clicked anything or not, watched the whole thing, etc. A lot of factors, but estimated to average to about $10.

I destinctly remember a Smosh video in which they

out of nowhere

"celebrated" the launch of The Sims medievil (or whatever that bad game was called).

That smalled super fishy.

This doesn´t surprise me.

Edit: LOL at the changed thread title !

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Something about the "Don't make a video about glitches" pretty much shows that they knew how fucked BF4 was.

CPM means a general estimate of how much you earn for every thousand monetized views you get. Estimated since factors like where the person who saw it is located, if they clicked anything or not, watched the whole thing, etc. A lot of factors, but estimated to average to about $10.

Got it. Thanks.

jorma

is now taking requests
So i'm sure that EA is happy if the youtubers involved didn't reveal that their videos were in fact ads.
But the onus is really on the youtuber to disclose that the video is an advertisment. If they didn't reveal they were getting paid, they (potentially..) broke the law, not EA.

It's not nearly the same thing as demanding a NDA to be signed.

Yep this stuff does exist and has been for awhile. I get small things for promotional stuff, but never anything of this nature. Pretty wild, but I knew this was happening. I dont fall under being a typical channel though, so not sure if I'd ever see these types of offers and I'm actually glad for that. This is crazy, but this is all is being looked at as a business and business is booming apparently.

Revven

I'm reading the contract now and it is saying participants may not disclose details on this program to the public.

Oooooohhhh boyyyyy.

popcorn-gif-23.gif

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'm reading the contract now and it is saying participants may not disclose details on this program to the public.

Makes sense, otherwise this would be public knowledge by now.

I expect more of this to come out in the next few days.

Per contract:
You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement and any Assignment including, without limitation, the Details and Compensation listed above.

You understand that You may not post a copy of this Agreement or any Assignment or any terms thereof online or share them with any third party without EA's prior written consent. You agree that You have read the Nondisclosure Agreement (attached hereto and marked as Exhibit A) and You understand and agree to all of terms of the Nondisclosure Agreement, which are incorporated as part of this Agreement.

androvsky

Not disclosing details might be okay as long as they can disclose the fact they're getting paid for the video, if not the specifics of how much.

edit:
You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement and any Assignment including
Welp, never mind then. Wow. Even if it's standard legalize that doesn't actually prevent proper disclosure per the FTC rules, I doubt the average youtuber is going to be able to glean that from that text.

On a side note, has anyone found any of these videos from either the EA or MS promotion where the person doing the video makes a proper disclosure?

So i'm sure that EA is happy if the youtubers involved didn't reveal that their videos were in fact ads.
But the onus is really on the youtuber to disclose that the video is an advertisment. If they didn't reveal they were getting paid, they (potentially..) broke the law, not EA.

It's not nearly the same thing as demanding a NDA to be signed.

Nvm thought there was a typo.

I think it's still on MS/EA because isn't it against the law to offer someone payment to do something illegal?

JABEE

Wow.... Youtubers were complaining about getting shut down now we see why. Everybody been eating off misleading the gamer. This is all bullshit, youtube can get rid of the monetization for all I care. Mostly all their opinions are dead to me now.

Guess the million dollar man Ted Dibiase was right after all....

This seems to be how YouTubers can survive making their videos. EA shuts down everyone else that doesn't fall in line. This is letting EA give streamers a gentle push to the ways of the bought.

"If you're big enough, we'll let you capture our games, but you have to say nice things."

"If you're small or uncooperative, we'll crush you like the insignificant cockroach you are. Cease and desist."

All these leaks proving NDA promotions is making this industry suck. Basically makes it hard to take anyone seriously regarding game/console.

joesiv

Wow EAs setup is pretty neat, it's like the gamification of marketing!

What does CPM mean? Cash per Million (views)?

Also, I take it this is how bloggers and other media sites stay in business (leasing their office space, paying employees, equipment, and such). I don't see any mention of concealing the sponsorship, and I like free content like Giant Bomb, so... I'm ok with this.

People that aren't ok with this, I guess you'd like to have a pay wall between you and your favorite blogger/youtuber? Just curious

I should also mention, it'd be pretty obvious if one is taking part in this, as one of the duty's is to include a link back to the games official website (and the XBone one has a hashtag lol, just search the hashtag lol)

Jonboy

I work in the marketing/pr world and I'm trying to think of anything this would compare to. Even with advertorials, you almost always disclose that in a pretty obvious manner.

Chabbles

“Believe only half of what you see and nothing that you hear.”

Perfect quote for the gaming scene... Youd think, or at least hope you could go to youtube and watch some users review of a game, and get a genuine opinion. Well you can forget about that shit..

Lunar15

Wow EAs setup is pretty neat, it's like the gamification of marketing!

What does CPM mean? Cash per Million (views)?

Also, I take it this is how bloggers and other media sites stay in business (leasing their office space, paying employees, equipment, and such). I don't see any mention of concealing the sponsorship, and I like free content like Giant Bomb, so... I'm ok with this.

People that aren't ok with this, I guess you'd like to have a pay wall between you and your favorite blogger/youtuber? Just curious

CPM - Cost Per Thousand. $1 CPM = $1 per thousand views.

Giant Bomb is supported by ads, not by endorsements (as far as I know)

PBY

Banned
Is it possible- that we're jumping to conclusions and misreading these NDAs? I'm inclined to believe an interpretation that's something along the lines of Machinimas statement eaier today.

Still scummy.

inky

Hopefully people start looking at their favorite youtubers with more scrutiny now. It was always common sense to believe most (or some) of them were not genuine, but this just makes it crystal clear.

Top Bottom