• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

I'm finally starting to come around on 1s this season. In the past I've hated the playlist but I recognized it's something I need to practice if I want to keep improving, particularly with my ground game. Once you get more comfortable with the basics of spacing and stop giving up tons of free goals it gets more fun. Still stressful as hell, though. I think I'm Plat 1 currently.

rafaelr

I'm finally starting to come around on 1s this season. In the past I've hated the playlist but I recognized it's something I need to practice if I want to keep improving, particularly with my ground game. Once you get more comfortable with the basics of spacing and stop giving up tons of free goals it gets more fun. Still stressful as hell, though. I think I'm Plat 1 currently.

same for me, having a rough time though.
just waiting for the opponents' mistakes and only going for safe hits, i was able to get to plat. however, i´m not learning a lot from that.
if i start to try doing stuff on my own (and i´m still talking about basic things like catching, starting dribbles, when to flick etc.), i´m getting punished so quickly and thus lose most of my games. but this is the way to go i guess.

I used to rarely play 1s. Usually just did my placement matches and a handful after that to keep my rank. This season, I'm playing more often. I got up near gold after my placements, but yo-yo'd in silver this weekend.

It's mostly because I'm trying to work on my ground game and not just wait out opponent errors. I'm not worried about my rank. I'm using it to learn. Decided not to play any more 3s until I have better ball control and know more intuitively when to challenge. It's helping my doubles game, but I still have a long way to go.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I used to rarely play 1s. Usually just did my placement matches and a handful after that to keep my rank. This season, I'm playing more often. I got up near gold after my placements, but yo-yo'd in silver this weekend.

It's mostly because I'm trying to work on my ground game and not just wait out opponent errors. I'm not worried about my rank. I'm using it to learn. Decided not to play any more 3s until I have better ball control and know more intuitively when to challenge. It's helping my doubles game, but I still have a long way to go.
I'd like to have the option to enable/disable "Show rank".

88random

Damn, going through lower ranks in Standard was hell this season. I went on a streak of extremely bad teammates, it sometimes felt like i was playing 1v5. But I finally got to the platinum and hopefully I'll get paired with people who can actually hit a ball.

Damn, going through lower ranks in Standard was hell this season. I went on a streak of extremely bad teammates, it sometimes felt like i was playing 1v5. But I finally got to the platinum and hopefully I'll get paired with people who can actually hit a ball.
PC? If so add me : dusktildawn48. I'm plat 1

luffeN

Sooo, I got to Diamond II in 3s due to a Brazil with 2 tremendous teammates, holy shit they were fast! Next match I had a GC in my team and we lost 0:1 IIRC. At the end of the match the GC says to me: Dude, we are not in bronze anymore, stop playing goalkeeper. What does that mean exactly? I had 5 saves that match.

Pepiope

Sooo, I got to Diamond II in 3s due to a Brazil with 2 tremendous teammates, holy shit they were fast! Next match I had a GC in my team and we lost 0:1 IIRC. At the end of the match the GC says to me: Dude, we are not in bronze anymore, stop playing goalkeeper. What does that mean exactly? I had 5 saves that match.
Probably played too defensively and he felt like you sat in net when you should've been rotating into the play on offense.

88random

Maybe you were too defensive? Although it's good in lower ranks to have a goalkeeper, it's frustrating if you have to do everything alone on the attack.
Hell, I did it the most because if I don't do it no one would watch the goal and after that complain that we do not have defense. If I didn't do that, I would have been stuck in gold forever.

PC? If so add me : dusktildawn48. I'm plat 1

PS4, sorry. I might get it for PC eventually.

edit: when you open the only Turbo crate and get an Endo. It looks kind of ugly at first in the menus, but ingame it looks great.

So I was talking with my buddy today (fellow gaffer Greg) about 2s strategies and I'm curious what you guys think. Let's say you go up the wall and hit a cross, what's your next move? Typically I'm going to go for boost and then rotate out so my teammate can look for a shot, but I usually go for opposing team's corner boost on the opposite side from where I started the cross. I think it gets us in trouble sometimes and I'd be better off jumping off the wall and going for side boost on the opposite side from where the cross started. Thoughts?

So I was talking with my buddy today (fellow gaffer Greg) about 2s strategies and I'm curious what you guys think. Let's say you go up the wall and hit a cross, what's your next move? Typically I'm going to go for boost and then rotate out so my teammate can look for a shot, but I usually go for opposing team's corner boost on the opposite side from where I started the cross. I think it gets us in trouble sometimes and I'd be better off jumping off the wall and going for side boost on the opposite side from where the cross started. Thoughts?

Depends on the position to be honest. I often take near corner boost but sometimes far corner or go back for mid, sometimes I go for the shot myself. Depends on how much space you have and where all 3 cars are.

Regginator

So I disabled the rank display beneath my name, but I forgot how to turn it back on. How do I turn it on? I can't seem to find it in the options.

edit: Figured it out, Garage > Customize Car > rightmost tab called Titles. Kind of a weird place for it to be in, I totally thought it would be in the (gameplay) options.

Soulflarz

Banned
Probably played too defensively and he felt like you sat in net when you should've been rotating into the play on offense.

The best way to ask this is if your teammate is front man and if it ALWAYS goes back to your corner or side
That means you're not spaced right or being way too passive, not every contest should overturn the ball, but it normally does in champ.

Meanwhile lmao https://twitter.com/Soulflarz/status/856690780660019205?s=09

TheKeyPit

Banned
I didn't experience any server issues since I moved to my new flat. I have a much better ping here. I guess it's just a coincidence.

Edit: A winning streak got me to Diamond 1 Div 3 in Doubles. A losing streak got me down to Div 1 just two hours later. Those matches were sooooo close! +I somehow played like an idiot then.

Soulflarz

Banned
I didn't experience any server issues since I moved to my new flat. I have a much better ping here. I guess it's just a coincidence.

Edit: A winning streak got me to Diamond 1 Div 3 in Doubles. A losing streak got me down to Div 1 just two hours later. Those matches were sooooo close! +I somehow played like an idiot then.

when're we playing :V

TheKeyPit

Banned
I just lost a match because my team was unlucky and the opponents were lucky. Holy moly, I've never seen something like this before.

Soulflarz

Banned
dp but whatevs as per usual with dead thread-- super tired on 3hr of sleep so i cant reealllly play consistently atm, but up for unranked with anyone on pc in like 1.5hr or ranked on ps4 :V

TheKeyPit

Banned
No such thing as luck~
>_>
I'm not a friend of saying that it was luck, but it was luck.

I made a slow shot over the opponents, used my last boost to correct the ball into their goal, I drop to their right post, opponent bumps me, I save the ball, calculated.

Opponents(randoms) hit the ball at the same time, it goes up against the ceiling and into our goal.

You couldn't expect anything like this.

Edit: Do not state that I could've solved one of those situations differently...

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm not a friend of saying that it was luck, but it was luck.

I made a slow shot over the opponents, used my last boost to correct the ball into their goal, I drop to their right post, opponent bumps me, I save the ball, calculated.

Opponents(randoms) hit the ball at the same time, it goes up against the ceiling and into our goal.

You couldn't expect anything like this.

Edit: Do not state that I could've solved one of those situations differently...

nah can't do much about the situation, just gotta avoid the situation

it's like dunks
though dunks suuuck you really can't do anything about them

Like when I went up as last man in a 3s match for the dumbest aerial and my opponent flubbed and hit it right into me, goes right into their net, everyones going "wow nice shot!!" and I'm just sitting there going "nah I know theres no luck in rl BUT AHEM"

tbf dunno where your teammate is, pinching same time isn't actually that hard to force clears into goals. Hell to deal with, since no one spaces for a pinch.

edit: okay you can do something about dunks it's just usually not a realistic option

Soulflarz

Banned
Tizz is the only top 100 who thinks I'm actually decent ;_;7

(And even then random rotation flaws since I play with top 100s in 2s so little that randomly someone hits something ridiculously fast and I'm just not used to my teammate being capable of that at all)

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I'd be down for teaming up and learning how to become a rocket league god! After 2200 hours I'm still a mortal man ><

Edit: I topped out as Superstar 2/3's a month or two before reset then a took some time off from the game.I really wish I could of hit that Champion mark! I haven't made much of a rank climb yet since coming back, I honestly don't know how to climb well with bad players because I can't read them well. They don't react to my passing plays, they don't pass to me, they don't rotate so I have to stay back a lot more, it just makes me so much less effective of a player and I don't know how to overcome it. Plus I'm a player who needs space to play, I get livid when I'm dribbling and my teammates just derp ram me for the ball or slams the ball into the wall resetting the play to no effect. Not sure what to do with stuff like that.

Tizz is the only top 100 who thinks I'm actually decent ;_;7

(And even then random rotation flaws since I play with top 100s in 2s so little that randomly someone hits something ridiculously fast and I'm just not used to my teammate being capable of that at all)
Your ground to air dribble game is nuts.

Soulflarz

Banned
Your ground to air dribble game is nuts.

Tbh my air dribble suck compared to most, I really need to work on it. It's moreso theyre not challenging me in the air so all I need to do is push it forward then get ANY touch under it and it's suddenly farther out than they calculated, over their heads

This is why challenging air dribbles is kinda important/actually reading where they're going and not overextending needlessly if you've decided to meet it in the ground.

I've seen challengers do it better from a mechanical standpoint.

My game is so screwed :(

In the past few months I've had my Elite Controller break on me 3 times now. That RB button is some awfully designed shit, there's no support but the stems it's held on so it caves into the recess if you happen to push hard, which I do a LOT when going for an aerial that I'm about to miss. It's insured (I broke it in the first month so knew I had to) but the constant switching back and forth between it and my mostly dead 360 controller is really screwing with me.

I can't shoot at all anymore now I've got a replacement again. My hands are cramping from keep switching between the similar, yet oddly different shapes. Then to top it off the d-pad doesn't even work fully on the new one. My mechanical skill is getting better but then I need to switch again and all my skill drops off a cliff.

Soulflarz

Banned
k wasting 100s of hours learning how to truly counter ballchasers
man, Dappur was right, NA ones blows.

>has ball in flickable range, guy charges me like an idiot even if I can flick the entire time, I'm so unused to it that I drop it
yeah gotta get into the habit, diamond 1 and nearly beating champs when I see it coming. That's how pathetic the strategy is. EU doesn't use it as much ik >_>

Soulflarz, are you on PC too?

yeep

This game is ridiculous, I'm not sure if it's because I'm unranked in duel but every match starts off with "trade?" and I score a goal immediately because the dudes are paying no attention. This has happened to me all 4 of my placements, is this super common? When I play with my friend in doubles, same thing, except they don't let us score a goal right away for obvious reasons. I usually just flat out say "no", but they pay no mind... I still get a friend request with an RL invite. It's really turning me off from playing this game... I don't play this game often anymore, I just want to play with my friends not fucking trade...

This game is ridiculous, I'm not sure if it's because I'm unranked in duel but every match starts off with "trade?" and I score a goal immediately because the dudes are paying no attention. This has happened to me all 4 of my placements, is this super common? When I play with my friend in doubles, same thing, except they don't let us score a goal right away for obvious reasons. I usually just flat out say "no", but they pay no mind... I still get a friend request with an RL invite. It's really turning me off from playing this game... I don't play this game often anymore, I just want to play with my friends not fucking trade...

Maybe at low levels. I get a trade offer maybe once every 6 or 7 matches but that tends to be cause I have white zombas.

At least you have the skills to show for your time invested. I just have white zombas..sigh.

4409e595527fb8b4721d2f7a28a661da.jpg

Except without the Zombas

Top Bottom