• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Add me and let's get some games in sometime. My steam name is ox or oxrock depending on my mood, avatar looks like this:
vTyTb6M.png

In all honesty since RL came out Rocket league has become more of my hobby than gaming itself.
This is true for me as well. Used to play and beat tons of games every year. So far this year I've finished Nioh and most of Zelda... Other than that... Rocket League.

Best multiplayer game ever created, easily. Top 3 all time game for me overall.

This is true for me as well. Used to play and beat tons of games every year. So far this year I've finished Nioh and most of Zelda... Other than that... Rocket League.

Best multiplayer game ever created, easily. Top 3 all time game for me overall.

It's not even a game to me. It's pure sport to me and I love everything about it minus RNG of matchmaking with randoms. As I get older traditional games just aren't as interesting but this is something I could literally play forever. It's such a unique game and I think that is why it has become such a hit.

Soulflarz

Banned
fwiw to offset rng with randoms heavily learn defense
solo 3s they can't score if you can wallclear->double touch it all the way to a shot on their emptyish net or at least into their corner every time they go for a mediocre offensive play.
Never assume the ball is clear by default, just rotate behind them.
Never be in front of the guy for a redirect in 2s, just turn in behind him. At best be slightly horizontal so he can sideways ground pass.

Seriously, get into these habits and you'll see massive improvements. I went like 12-5 in solo standard last night, plat 3-1 to diamond 1-2, which is apparently top 2% already. Going to keep dragging that up.

Is there aaaaaaaaaany way you can spare like an hour some day in the future playing with me? Not sure if your 2s rank is too high for mine and it will be boring. 3s I am Diamond II but 2s I am Platinum II (don't play it as much).

Sure, same as most who are good at rl, I don't mind, I want everyone to improve <3
Good is subjective and I'm really bad lel

Haven't really played 3s. My 3s rank is plat 3 while my solo standard is diamond 1, soooo...

I can 1v3 plats though so awks.

Legit good for whenever. Unranked probably works too- fun fact of the day that pep taught me: Unranked is only bad if you don't play it. If you play unranked a decent bit, you can get some really high quality matches. Not that rare for an rlcs elite or an esl elite to appear out of nowhere since my MMR isn't low.

See I'd like to play with one of the better players here sometime to learn some stuff, even a match or two, but I'm so wildly inconsistent it's hardly worth asking. Some days I swear it feels like I'm right back to square one. If I could actually stay consistent I'd probably brave up and ask Pep or Soul but it's hard to imagine being anything but a brief pain in your asses when I don't even know how I'm gonna do.

Soulflarz

Banned
>implying I'm consistent

EU friends call it sleepyflarz, days where I just braindead and can't make ANY good decisions.

Basically hm, consistency comes with good decisions. For example, the actual mechanics to most things are rather trivial, it comes down to making a good decision. Like double touching. If you have the general concept down, and you decide to do it at the right time, you'll usually make it in my experience. It's usually making a bad decision that leads to bad gameplay.

Though again I might not be the best one for asking that, but I do know once I got better with my decisions so many opportunities came up that we're miracle shots in the past.

True, I dunno I just kinda suck at timing the decision sometimes. It's very rare I just hit a ball anymore, I've almost always got a plan and even on the smaller opportunities I always aim to get one person out of the play. But then I'll see that opportunity come up, wait that second longer to get the shot where it needs to be and end up being beaten to the ball. I suppose I need to just turn that moment into a pass instead, but then I feel like I've made an awful play if the other team doesn't come speeding in to rush me.

It's hard to explain but I feel like I make the smart choice often, but a second too late. In general though I try to wait for that moment to strike rather than just rush. If I go for a clear I go in with the intent of a powershot etc. Perhaps I'm being slightly too patient?

Soulflarz

Banned
That's a bit different. That's what 99% of the community does (99.9%?)- hesitate on balls they clearly have read. This works in some situations- if you can't be contested for one, since hitting it forward will give up possession to the guy who should be charging you and if your dribble game is strong that's now an option, but the issue is if the opponent read it too and went to hit it very early on you're ruined.

I broke the habit by legit going as fast as I could on everything for half a week until I adjusted. My rank tanked, then it fixed as I got used to it and I was way higher.

Until you don't hesitate it's very hard to improve beyond rotation+safe positioning. It's also a really weird habit to learn.

Basically once you decide you need to challenge something, don't sit still waiting for it to roll forward or come closer to challenge. Just do it. Easier said than done, but that's the basic theory of not hesitating.

Huh, perhaps I should up my ballchase a little bit for a week or two then and see if I can break the habit. The annoying thing is it's only with certain shots too. If it's a high bounce going fast I'll wait for the second bounce which is incredibly dumb I know. But I do the same thing off walls sometimes where I'll wait on the bounce despite the fact I could get to it before it even touches the wall. It's that split second that breaks it too, since I'll know not to do it but that padding of the brakes is often where I lose the window for it.

Gonna give it a shot later tonight. I expect many failures on day one.

Soulflarz

Banned
gotta get worse to improve!
I'm learning a faster kickoff than roll forward the roll

I lose on average 4 goals to kickoffs a game at least

Traded my way up to 20xx and it's back on the auction block. Definitely the coolest BM decal with all the cool combinations you can do with it but and I know I'm ridiculous for this but the inconsistency of it on maps with different lighting drives me nuts. Some maps it's almost matte and turns full black which I love but maps with morning or dusk lighting makes it very reflective with orange tints and starbase turns it into a mirror where you cant even see the black at all. I just can't handle it. back to regular decals and matte paint for me again.

Soulflarz

Banned
Played Soulflarz for an hour or two in 1s last night. Let's say it was a... learning experience.

I really need to work on when to challenge flicks.

If your opponent is bad, don't, he's going to flick poorly. This is almost every player outside of top .2% or so. I'm not kidding. I'm top .5% in 1s roughly (give or take .2% depending on the day lol) and until an opponent proves they can flick or bounce dribble decently I just don't even care.
If your opponent can't even carry the ball, challenge immediately, free 50-50 win.
If your opponent is competent, shadow far back, this is probably going in, but the attempt for a save>>>driving towards him and getting flicked over

fwiw to offset rng with randoms heavily learn defense
solo 3s they can't score if you can wallclear->double touch it all the way to a shot on their emptyish net or at least into their corner every time they go for a mediocre offensive play.
Never assume the ball is clear by default, just rotate behind them.
Never be in front of the guy for a redirect in 2s, just turn in behind him. At best be slightly horizontal so he can sideways ground pass.

Seriously, get into these habits and you'll see massive improvements.

Great tips! I do all of the above. How to carry isn't my issue. It's HAVING to carry in the first place =) The game is simply more fun for me when everyone (including other team) knows what they are doing. I prefer games where the outcome is determined by skill / great plays vs repeated avoidable mistakes due to poor mechanics / positioning / decision making. I'd rather lose a hard fought game than trash a team that lost RNG lottery and got stuck with the weak link/s.

So having to carry is tilting for me (even if we win). That's my issue and working on it but at end of day not a big deal. Like I said I love the game I just wish matchmaking would be more consistent. I think majority if players want this. But with ELO system and other factors involved it's likely not going to get any better than it is.

Soulflarz

Banned
wat
I meant carry the ball in my things with carrying
pls

you can carry to your relative rank-1 or -2 anyways and then just win up to your rank

other messages are just proper rotation and punishing bad rotation.

wat
I meant carry the ball in my things with carrying
pls

you can carry to your relative rank-1 or -2 anyways and then just win up to your rank

other messages are just proper rotation and punishing bad rotation.

Sorry I don't really understand what you are saying but no worries, thanks again for the tips!

Soulflarz

Banned
why are most old esl elites ballchasey :<

I mean, I know champ isn't THAT high of a rank, but I do find it funny when I win against/lost with one and watch the replay and realized it's attempted 1v2 plays the entire game after I (or his teammate, if against) move up, leaving 2nd man in an awkward spot.

I mean like 2nd man goes for a straight dribble on one guy and they'd rather take sideways into big boost, leaving you too close with too much boost wasted moving forward.

Still moving up in champ, slowly though. Dunno if I'll make it much past champ 2. Am getting a lot better at playing last man back when teammate gets dunked hard though!

Pepiope

With this and the result from the Nexus tournament, you guys are really close. I missed the match against Iris, but saw the end of the one with Eanix. You guys were ballin'!
Thanks! Ya that win locked us in as a 2 seed in that tournament. The end of the month we have playoffs so we have time to practice haha

Blog

Group-Shot.jpg

The wait is almost over! Our line of Rocket League Mini Pull-Back Racers will be dropping at select US retailers next month!

Brought to you by our friends at Zag Toys, 12 Battle-Cars are coming to store shelves in early June. Octane, Dominus, Masamune, Hotshot, Grog, X-Devil, Merc, and Backfire make up most of our blind-bag lineup, with each Battle-Car hidden inside a replica of our in-game ball.

You’ll also have the chance to get one of three Rare electroplated Battle-Cars, or one Super Rare Mystery Car! If you’re lucky enough to find one of the Rare or Super Rare Pull-Back Racers, you’ll also take home a code redeemable for a unique set of in-game items: The ‘Cold Fusion’ Rocket Boost and ‘ZT-17’ Wheels!
ZAG_Item_GIF.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
>expensive compared to crates
>random drop rate for item
>limited quantity

I too love the alpha items system and will love to pay $1000 for mediocre wheels in 5 months!

Bollocks

just dropped from gold 3 div4 to gold2 div2 and there's literally nothing I could have done about it. no tryhard mode, nothing, played it safe all the way and I still get fucked. just pure bad luck. I'm the first one to admit that I sucked, but there was nothing that I could have done better.
If the 2 people in goal whiff that's bad luck, if you want to make an aerial clear but your teammate says fuck it and goes after it even though he is coming from the other side, meaning a clear TOWARDS our goal or actually a great assist for the other team then that's idiotic but nothing that was on me.
I should have saved that clip btw, what a moron.

at least I played against a grand champion and made him rage quit after I dunked on him.
previous game he was on my team and he fucking sucked, I teased him because he was being a bitch, 2:0 down "no I won't play noobs bla bla", well, get dunked on next game mr grand champion.

but yeah now I'm fucking stuck in gold 2 div 2, where I have to play goalie while my 2 other mates are in the corner failing to clear the ball where I then have to clear the ball once it gets centered only to immediately rotate back, rinse and repeat. occasionally I get caught off guard by the double tap off the wall because there's now a guy with skill._.

Soulflarz

Banned
I mean hitting it back towards your net is valid at times- I know my back man has tried to take a painful losing 50-50 before and I just noped him and took it coast to coast and then back, safe than sorry and all. Alternatively, opponent could have you beat, so your teammate assumes you're sitting in net for a block so they're backpassing- if they're outright beating the opponent, this works great, since you can freely chip it up without any issues.

Also it's not usually your teammates- or rather, rank doesn't matter. You can learn something and then you'll get higher~
What I mean by this is specifically- "theres nothing I could've done better". There's ALWAYS something you could've done differently. It's like in 2s when the front man gets dunked 90% of the time and creates a last man back with a fast ball. Almost everyone will blame the last man back, but in reality, it will go in sometimes at any level of the game when you create a last man back scenario. Look into creating scenarios that don't cause this. Legit in champ I get mad at myself for creating those scenarios, assuming my goalie has little to no experience dealing with dribbles. Those are in until they're not in my book. As such, I'm trying my hardest to never create these scenarios.

Also small sidenote: any GC in gold got carried to the title. I know we all joke about carried GCs, but it's largely impossible for even a low GC to get stuck in gold, he should be able to safely win his dribbles into the net a ridiculous amount of the time.

Top Bottom