• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Fowler

For those getting the UCS Falcon do you plan on taking your time building it and savoring it or are you going to try and knock it out in a day?

I remember when I got the Death Star, I wanted to build a bag a day. Which still would have been a couple of weeks...

But then I went to the US for two months.

And when I came back, I moved house.

So in the end it took me 6 months!

I don't think I could actually build it in a day! Depending on when mine gets delivered, I've taken the week off, so should finish it over a few days, and then have a stiff neck and sore fingers for a week!

That's actually becoming an issue with all these huge sets. I like to build them in one sitting, but some are approaching a full day of work and it's devastating to my back.

Another sign of Lego obsession: getting in shape to cope with marathon building sessions.

Osahi

I am not getting the Falcon (though I'd want to), but I never build big sets in one go. I tend to enjoy it more when I spread it all out over a few evenings, or just multiple sessions of an hour a day. Disney Castle took me a week. Destiny's Bounty two days. Ninjago City will probably be over a week. If I build in one go, I tend to go on automatic pilot after a while, and not appreciating the cool techniques or details anymore.

For those getting the UCS Falcon do you plan on taking your time building it and savoring it or are you going to try and knock it out in a day?

I built the Silent Mary in one sitting but regret doing so, I cannot imagine someone doing that beast in one day.

Haines

Banned
Stupid question.

Is it dumb not to get the falcon on value alone?

Isnt this set going to end up worth a fortune like the last one?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Stupid question.

I would temper resale expectations. People know how valuable the last one was, and I'm sure some will be buying just to resell later.

Sure, the price will go up once it's out of print, but I don't think we're going to see the kind of jump of the original.

DonShula

Stupid question.

It's not dumb and probably why I will end up getting it. All you have to do is tell yourself that you're just buying it for the investment. Then once you actually have it you'll cave and open it.

Unless lego says it's limited it'll be in stores for a few years?
I'd say the minute it goes "hard to find" on the site is the minute you buy.

I'm hoping for double VIP on Falcon day, cmon lego throw us a bone

Or free $100 set ;)

Osahi

Unless lego says it's limited it'll be in stores for a few years?
I'd say the minute it goes "hard to find" on the site is the minute you buy.

I'm hoping for double VIP on Falcon day, cmon lego throw us a bone

Or free $100 set ;)

The hard to find label is reserved for sets that you can only get trough Lego and/or selected retailers. It doesn't say anything about how much stock there is or going to be. If it says: retiring soon, then it is definitely time to act. But some sets just dissapear without this warning.

I would temper resale expectations. People know how valuable the last one was, and I'm sure some will be buying just to resell later.

Sure, the price will go up once it's out of print, but I don't think we're going to see the kind of jump of the original.

This.

Times are different now, there are a lot of scalpers paying attention to Lego.

I am sure its price will go high, but not as the original or the first modulars. There will be plenty of more stock.

And you have to consider if you have the space to store it for a long time.

Sure there will be money to be made this Xmas too since it will propably go out of stock, but that is really the scalpers territory.

iuuk

Where did you order those? The Netherlands or Belgium? Those are great prices!
Intertoys Netherlands, don't know if Belgium has (or will have) any similar discounts.

No way I'll be able to knock something like that out in a day, that would get way too tedious. I still need to sell some other sets to even be able to afford it though, so for now I can only dream about it.

DonShula

It's getting to be crunch time for the test of Lego willpower. Destiny's Bounty, Ninjago City, Old Fishing Store, UCS Falcon, and new Star Wars sets. Going to be a tough month.

It's getting to be crunch time for the test of Lego willpower. Destiny's Bounty, Ninjago City, Old Fishing Store, UCS Falcon, and new Star Wars sets. Going to be a tough month.

I’m passing on City and Old Fishing Store (which is gonna be dumb but oh well) and doing Falcon when it goes up and BB8 on Force Friday. Gotta be strong.

DonShula

I’m passing on City and Old Fishing Store (which is gonna be dumb but oh well) and doing Falcon when it goes up and BB8 on Force Friday. Gotta be strong.

About a minute after I posted that I started wondering what I could buy this very weekend. I'm already failing.

Osahi

Intertoys Netherlands, don't know if Belgium has (or will have) any similar discounts.

Thanks. The Belgian branch doesn't have an online shop yet (it should launch soon), and I don't have a store near me. I do think it should be possible to have the Dutch webshop deliver to Belgium, but there isn't really anything in the promo that I don't have and still want.

So dodged that bullet! (September 1st I'll buy Old Fishing Store and BB-8, so I better watch my spending. Especially as I want to save up for Ninjago City too)

I'm skipping the new star wars sets cause they just don't look that good to me, they all look like b tier fan art versions of the OT vehicles. Not really a knock against the Lego designers, more against the source material.

I don't have the money for Ninjago city but I'll probably get Old Fishing Store and Destinys Bounty as my last big sets this year.

I decided to get Old Fishing Store September 1st and left Ninjago City for a sale or double points. May get the new WV set if it goes live soon. I cannot wait due to the post office system end of year trouble

Osahi

Winter Village is also a definite buy here. That's usually one I pick up close to the holidays though. Really hoping the rumours about a train station are true! (Would be even better if the rumors where only half true and the next modular was a trainstation, lol)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
timing of MF is bad because I'm eyeing up a new iphone and the MF is likely to cost as much as one. Both in one month may be difficult to pull off

Ngggg. Toys R Us Sweden has 50% off already lowered prices on DC Superhero Girls, Rogue One and assorted others, including the Tower Bridge! I'm already past my budget for the month and a week left until payday, but ~$120 Tower Bridge? $40 for the highschool or Eclipso's palace for parts? Nghg.

Luckily, I love taking my time building sets. With two young kids and a new house, I have no choice but to spread out the build. I built 10030 a few years ago and it took me over two weeks since I only had about 30 mins free time each night.

Can't wait for the new Falcon to release!! I just hope it's at least the same size as 10179. It would kinda suck if it was smaller.

DonShula

timing of MF is bad because I'm eyeing up a new iphone and the MF is likely to cost as much as one. Both in one month may be difficult to pull off

Good point. I'm due to buy two new iPhones - we've had 6's for three years. And the new high end model is rumored to top $1k...

Rootbeer

Banned
Forgot I had a TRU reward account.

Logged in, found $100.

I knew removing the "auto issue at $5" option was a good idea ;)

Just got a free 75191 Jedi Starfighter with Hyperdrive, whoohoo.

Logged in, found $100.

Unexpected credit is the best credit, well done!

It still burns me that 75191 is so stupidly expensive.

Woorloog

Banned
Unexpected credit is the best credit, well done!

It still burns me that 75191 is so stupidly expensive.

Ridiculously expensive here.

Speaking of that... I wonder if exclusive sets are more expensive than usual? The Jedi Starfighter is a store-exclusive in the US, no? And elsewhere, it is is shop.lego.com only?

Is the individual A-Wing also a store-exclusive in the US? Because it looks like Lego's site is the only place to get it here and it is so expensive.

Logged in, found $100.

I forgot I had gift cards from toys r us
About $90 which is gonna be out towards dat BB-8

DonShula

Ridiculously expensive here.

Speaking of that... I wonder if exclusive sets are more expensive than usual? The Jedi Starfighter is a store-exclusive in the US, no? And elsewhere, it is is shop.lego.com only?

Is the individual A-Wing also a store-exclusive in the US? Because it looks like Lego's site is the only place to get it here and it is so expensive.

Both the Jedi Starfighter and A-Wing are exclusive to Toys R Us in the US and tragically overpriced. I think the Battle Droid is/was also.

Rootbeer

Banned
There have been reports that it won't be in production long... I think people who are torn between say a UCS MF and a new iPhone should wait till Sept 1st and we'll know more solid details then.

Keep saving that $$$!

There have been reports that it won't be in production long... I think people who are torn between say a UCS MF and a new iPhone should wait till Sept 1st and we'll know more solid details then.

Keep saving that $$$!

I don't believe that for a second. Sets have stayed in production longer and longer. I mean, Parisian Restaurant is the best comparable as a large, unique parts set and its still going strong

With all LEGO it's better to buy it sooner rather than later wherever possible, but I don't see why they'd retire a new Falcon any time soon.

They know it's going to be popular, the license isn't going to expire, why would they plan a small window to sell it in?

DonShula

There is also the possibility, given the build-up to this set, that Lego expects it to do amazing numbers, and it turns out to be priced too high. Granted, Lego ought to be able to tell how many of these they will sell, but if they miss the mark with the price, we could see a drop down the road. Didn't the original UCS Falcon see decent discounts toward the end?

Koren

Parisian Restaurant costs $160 though.
Lego Death Star will probably have 15 years of shelf space... I'd argue that the update doesn't count as a separate set, they mostly did cosmetic changes in order to be able to increase the price a bit.

And to me, MF is more iconic than the death star (if only because it's in all the movies, not from a single one, and thus will be seen in upcoming movies).

At the very least, I can't see the Han Solo movie not including the MF, and I can't see Lego ending production of MF before the Han Solo movie...

(Though I'll fail for the trap, I'll probably order it quickly in the really unlikely case it is indeed a short run...)

Edit: if it's over $600, I can see it not being a hot seller... Even for a legendary set, there's pushing things too far.

Edit again: I can see the "short run" rumors being engineered by scalpers, there's a strong possibility that the first run sells out quickly, and if Lego doesn't communicate well, there's a strong chance at quick cash, even more than with consoles (or Amiibos :D )

Lego Death Star will probably have 15 years of shelf space... I'd argue that the update doesn't count as a separate set, they mostly did cosmetic changes in order to be able to increase the price a bit.

And to me, MF is more iconic than the death star (if only because it's in all the movies, not from a single one, and thus will be seen in upcoming movies).

At the very least, I can't see the Han Solo movie not including the MF, and I can't see Lego ending production of MF before the Han Solo movie...

(Though I'll fail for the trap, I'll probably order it quickly in the really unlikely case it is indeed a short run...)

Edit: if it's over $600, I can see it not being a hot seller... Even for a legendary set, there's pushing things too far.

Edit again: I can see the "short run" rumors being engineered by scalpers, there's a strong possibility that the first run sells out quickly, and if Lego doesn't communicate well, there's a strong chance at quick cash, even more than with consoles (or Amiibos :D )

Well the rumor is it's $700 and as how awesome this set is likely to be, especially if it's a decent upgrade over the original, I can see this being only geared towards scalpers and hardcore fans. $700 for a LEGO set is a lot to ask someone to put out for. I think they're going to be in short supply too initially because of that price tag just to play it safe.

There is also the possibility, given the build-up to this set, that Lego expects it to do amazing numbers, and it turns out to be priced too high. Granted, Lego ought to be able to tell how many of these they will sell, but if they miss the mark with the price, we could see a drop down the road. Didn't the original UCS Falcon see decent discounts toward the end?

10179 was marked down to $350 around retirement. If only I had a way to look into the future then.

Regarding the posts about a possible short run,I don't think the new falcon will be a short run. Too much Star Wars hype, upcoming movies, and Star Wars Land opening.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't believe that for a second. Sets have stayed in production longer and longer. I mean, Parisian Restaurant is the best comparable as a large, unique parts set and its still going strong
Well, it's not a comfortable thought. But this is what leakers have been feeding us. You'll have to believe whatever you want until we hear more one way or the other.

Well the rumor is it's $700 and as how awesome this set is likely to be, especially if it's a decent upgrade over the original, I can see this being only geared towards scalpers and hardcore fans. $700 for a LEGO set is a lot to ask someone to put out for. I think they're going to be in short supply too initially because of that price tag just to play it safe.

Guys, the current value of 10179 is >$3000. If you think that there won't be demand at $700, think again

Well, it's not a comfortable thought. But this is what leakers have been feeding us. You'll have to believe whatever you want until we hear more one way or the other.
The set will be available until the end of the sequel trilogy. Guaranteed.

Mmmmmm.....have a Y-Wing 10134 and Tantive IV 10019 on order for $590 and $550, respectively. Both complete and in great condition, disassembled with box, instructions, stickers etc.

Only ones left are Ewok Village, R2D2, Tie Interceptor, Star Destroyer and Millennium Falcon........

Millennium Falcon will be the new one next month, and I'm wondering whether to get the 10030 Star Destroyer or to just build my own MOC one using one of the killer designs on rebrickable.

After my wallet recovers, over the next few YEARS, I'll add the UCS AT-AT monstrosity, the Mortsev Nebulon Frigate, and probably a Jango Fett version of the Slave I.

Of the list below, which should I build first??? Should I build any even if I can't properly display them or protect them? They won't be going in a glass cabinet or anything, at least for a # of years ---- is that a big deal?

Snowspeeder 75144
AT-AT Walker 75054 (plan to sell this eventually in order to assemble a UCS Walker)
Slave 1 75060
Xwing Red Five 10240
Death Star Final Dual
Jabba's Sail Barge 75020
Tie Fighter 75095
Assault on Hoth 75098
B-Wing 10227
Death Star 75159
Death Star II 10143
Vader's Tie Advanced 10175
Super Star Destroyer 10221
Jedi Starfighter 10215