• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what year do you expect the world to come together as one nation

EhoaVash

you know when will all the countries forsake their differences and finally become one nation on planet earth

bonus question: what might finally make this happen an alien invasion or Zero Requiem

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It'll never happen, and I'll even go as far as to say if there is another planet out there in our universe somewhere with advanced intelligent life, they aren't unified as one either.

When advanced emotions are involved, it's basically impossible on a large scale.

EhoaVash

come one guys I need a resonable number

year 5000? i mean we're already at 2017 and the world is pretty damn connected with whatsapp

robotrock

Banned
It’s going to happen and it’s going to be because of the robots and the AI. It’s just a matter of when. I say after the fifth Avatar movie.

I believe there'll be no borders, some day.
But that's the result of extinction, not some giant nation.
The NWO ain't real.

That will never happen unless religion is somehow removed from people's minds.
That's just one thing. There are so many more problems, I just don't see it happening.

Honestly? Never, short of some cataclysmic event that hits humanity so hard that the concept of nationhood becomes outmoded. But then we'll just go right back to "me/my family/tribe/people first" and be back where we started. Humans are inherently social, but also inherently selfish, and you can best believe that anything bad enough set us back to square one isn't going to create an environment good for improving that.

Or its gonna be like Alpha Centauri where we all agree to leave behind nations and old Earth prejudice when we go to colonize a new planet, but just start fighting over philosophy instead. You can't exactly breed opinions and preference out of people.

Post scarcity society where robots do 99% of the heavy lifting. A lack of greed would go a long way. Probably well into some form of physiological modification too. Think bionic man type shit where we're all smarter and more capable of logical thought instead of having things devolve into cultural bitch fests and other nationalistic concepts.

150+ years

Or its gonna be like Alpha Centauri where we all agree to leave behind nations and old Earth prejudice when we go to colonize a new planet, but just start fighting over philosophy instead. You can't exactly breed opinions and preference out of people.

Increase everyone's mental capacity 100 fold and you've done just that.

I'm thinking technological singularity or a massive paradigm shift in our evolution. So not for a while.

If ever. Is such a thing possible? Or even worth persuing? Is the very question too anthropocentric to be of any worth?

Post scarcity society where robots do 99% of the heavy lifting. Probably well into some form of physiological modification too. Think bionic man type shit where we're all smarter and more capable of logical thought instead of having things devolve into cultural bitch fests and other nationalistic concepts.

150+ years

Trust me, even when we are all highly evolved 4D plasma intelligences we are still going to be arguing over who knows best. Perfect consensus will never be reached so long as opinions are to be had.

giphy.webp

Dommo

It'll never happen, and I'll even go as far as to say if there is another planet out there in our universe somewhere with advanced intelligent life, they aren't unified as one either.

When advanced emotions are involved, it's basically impossible on a large scale.

If the aliens can directly map their thoughts end emotions onto one another/read each other's minds, they'd probably be able to become some sort of hive mind type knowledge factory in which case they'd probably unify no problem. It'd be like next level communication where understanding and compassion would be through the roof.

Otherwise, yeah, not gonna happen.

Trust me, even when we are all highly evolved 4D plasma intelligences we are still going to be arguing over who knows best. Perfect consensus will never be reached so long as opinions are to be had.

We don't need perfect consensus for us to act as one species of earthlings rather than a bunch of smaller tribes under that banner. In fact ... I hope we never have perfect consensus. How do we grow if we never question?

I'm thinking technological singularity or a massive paradigm shift in our evolution. So not for a while.

If ever. Is such a thing possible? Or even worth persuing? Is the very question too anthropocentric to be of any worth?

It will be because of multiple technologies that we're able to do this. Why wouldn't this be worth perusing?

Cocaloch

come one guys I need a resonable number

year 5000? i mean we're already at 2017 and the world is pretty damn connected with whatsapp

Again why are you just assuming it's going to happen? That's a massive logical leap.

Honestly? Never, short of some cataclysmic event that hits humanity so hard that the concept of nationhood becomes outmoded. But then we'll just go right back to "me/my family/tribe/people first" and be back where we started. Humans are inherently social, but also inherently selfish, and you can best believe that anything bad enough set us back to square one isn't going to create an environment good for improving that.

The problem isn't necessarily nations, which are relatively recent, it's states.

I don't know why people are assuming it'd require an outside force though. I could absolutely see one state essentially taking over the world.

Sooner than people here think.

500 years ago we need didn't have nations and countries as they exist.

The world is slowly coming together. Once it does, it will be bloated and ugly and flawed but we will get there.

Cocaloch

Sooner than people here think.

500 years ago we need didn't have nations and countries as they exist.

The world is slowly coming together. Once it does, it will be bloated and ugly and flawed but we will get there.

This is a weird argument. 500 years ago we didn't have nations, now we do. That's not moving towards a unitary state, it's moving away from one. There's now an ideological pressure pushing for a diversity of states as opposed to only an institutional and logistic one.

Also the bolded is incredibly Whiggish in a particularly unfounded way. What's bringing the world together? Why is that enough to overcome all the hurdles to a single state? Are there not countervailing centrifugal forces?

Top Bottom