• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fired Googler James Damore asks "Don't the KKK have cool names?"

How tryhard are KKK names?

Results are only viewable after voting.

L Thammy

It sounds like the guy is a hardcore D&D fan, which might shed some light on his thought processes. I ama fan of tabletop gaming, but you don't have to look far to see a whole ton of problematic and toxic sides to the hobby. Misogyny and racism were buried deep in the roots of the hobby, and it remains a hobby where large segments of the fanbase rabidly resist change. A decade ago, when I still heavily followed forums dedicated to D&D, there were still people regularly having discussions about whether or not male and female chatacters should have different stat bonuses and other similar topics. I have no doubt that there are still D&D websites where that is still a common subject of discussion.

I'm reminded of FATAL and its magic artifacts that turn you into ethnic stereotypes (adjusted further for greater white supremacy).

Cipherr

aqXG5SH.png

����������

That sort of thinking is completely consistent though. Reminds me of the riff raff and the "Don't confront these Nazis at their rallies or anything like that, all it does is make them MORE fervent in their beliefs."

Like, its a serious hive minded reflex ultimatum that these people keep trying to force on the rest of us, and it never works. But they keep trying to convince everyone that fighting intolerance and pure racism/nazism only makes it stronger, even though we have literal history that proves otherwise.

Owx1HFm.png

7U06cjF.png

BAH GOD!

This dork reminds me of a guy that added me on Facebook some years ago. Got himself kicked out of our University's largest group for being a laughing stock, used to complain about women every now and then on his profile, a couple of weeks ago shared this pic about how stupid European fashion is and how cool Nazi clothing would be instead, the occasional lewd Anime picture share... And sometimes when he tries to bring up politics on his posts he comes out as really uninformed and reactionary.

I keep him on my list just to remind myself of what not to do and for some entertainment value.

This Damore guy maybe was good at what he did at Google, but he always gave me this feeling that he wasn't really bright at anything outside of that.

jstripes

Banned

I love this response to it:

The Federalist piece also presents a confusing portrait of the sort of woman these conservative men are angry will not date them. As a left-leaning woman, I’ve read a lot about how my type are fat unattractive lesbian sluts who are, despite their lesbianism and unattractiveness to men, frequently getting pregnant via having sex with men, and then having abortions. I’ve even seen articles to this published on The Federalist! We’re allegedly terrible. Why would any respectable real tough American-style guy want to date us? Why would our not dating the people who think we are fat unattractive lesbian abortion sluts make any difference to those people? I thought we were disgusting?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/maybe-women-wont-date-you-because-youre-awful

You can also become a Grand Wizard when you die a virgin. KKK members get the title early since they know its going to happen anyway.

This is a pretty inoffensive Tweet that would not get much scrutiny if a comedian had written it.

It's actually quite offensive. And a comedian with a history with bigotry would not be sparred this reaction at all.
True. Can't help but laugh at this, this dude and all these motherfuckers taking this dude so fucking seriously
Yeah man, why should anyone pay attention to racist tweets from alt-right darlings? That shit is hilarious.

Valhelm

contribute something
can't believe that this guy is an even bigger shithead than his article suggested

I didn't think that was possible

Steel

Banned
Ignoring everything else: someone actually thinks in the 21st century that grown men calling themselves Grand Wizards is cool?

Ishan

Slightly off topic but why did they have such names ? And while I agree with the premise you can sometimes seperate rank names or outfit appreciation from the originating organization . Things like grand wizard sound idiotic rather than cool to me ... Wtf did they even pick such a name ?

Ignoring everything else: someone actually thinks in the 21st century that grown men calling themselves Grand Wizards is cool?

Exalted Cyclops is kind of funny until you think for a second and realize all of these titles were part of the KKK's attempt to sell itself as some sort of harmless fraternity. The whole dialogue he's initiating is dumb anyway because all of these titles predate D&D.

Ishan

Exalted Cyclops is kind of funny until you think for a second and realize all of these titles were part of the KKK attempts to sell itself as some sort of harmless fraternity. The whole dialogue he's initiating is dumb anyway because all of these titles predate D&D.
Ah makes sense the names sound silly to me

TBH you know who comes out looking the worst out of this whole thing?

Google. how could they have hired such a huge idiot

He thinks he's clever doesn't he? People aren't attracted to the KKK because of "cool" titles but because they get to be a part of something that validates their own sense of inherent superiority. Hell I don't even know why I'm saying this when I know he's being completely disingenuous about trying to actually dig in to what attracts people just like him into the KKK. Maybe he should reflect on what attracted him to white supremacy/the alt right and post that since that's the answer.

III-V

He thinks he's clever doesn't he? People aren't attracted to the KKK because of "cool" titles but because they get to be a part of something that validates their own sense of inherent superiority. Hell I don't even know why I'm saying this when I know he's being completely disingenuous about trying to actually dig in to what attracts people just like him into the KKK. Maybe he should reflect on what attracted him to white supremacy/the alt right and post that since that's the answer.

I think you've said it.

Top Bottom