• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Az

So I went to see the movie in downtown Denver today. About 90 minutes in, the power went out in the whole theater. Now this is a theater in an outdoor mall. It's up on the third floor so there aren't any back entrances or exits by the screen. It didn't really occur to me at first since I thought they just screwed up but when everything went dark and an usher suddenly came in quickly through the entrance, a few people really got scared and got on the floor. It was kind of surreal.
Should have went with me on Wednesday. I went to the same place.

480487_990285772575_2063269411_n.jpg

FUCKING REALLY?

His nose does look drastically different. Everything else seems reasonably changed over time.

Can't believe the dude is claiming Amnesia though. Wonder how long he says it goes back. He's been planning the massacre for months!

Skeyser

Lol at that picture, the nose thing is because he's smiling in the old pic and frowning on the mugshot, try it in a mirror, it changes the shape of your nose.

Ear looks the same, just a slightly different angle.

Skeyser

From reddit :

pHvZk.jpg

"What you really need to look for is the space between his eyes, the width of each eye, the shape and placement of the ear, general shape of the jaw, and the placement of the tip of the nose.
I've rotated the second image, and scaled it to make the pupils the same distance apart: eye distance matches, eye width matches, tip of nose matches, jaw line matches, ear is a little off but could be from camera placement, or his orientation relative to the camera"

From reddit :

pHvZk.jpg

"What you really need to look for is the space between his eyes, the width of each eye, the shape and placement of the ear, general shape of the jaw, and the placement of the tip of the nose.
I've rotated the second image, and scaled it to make the pupils the same distance apart: eye distance matches, eye width matches, tip of nose matches, jaw line matches, ear is a little off but could be from camera placement, or his orientation relative to the camera"

Wow, did this really have to be debunked? FUCKING LOL. Get me off this planet.

Just saw a movie for the first time since the incident today. Man, I was really stressing out the first 30 minutes or so -- I know it would never happen again, but it's just such an odd thing. I couldn't imagine seeing Dark Knight after this in theaters...

The theater I was in was pretty empty (like 3 people) and a guy came in by himself, sat behind me and my gf holding a package. Yea, that wasn't helping my psyche. Poor guys that see movies by themselves wont be looked at the same for a while...

From reddit :

pHvZk.jpg

Noses look different when people smile, nostrils get larger and the nose flattens out. Some people are so fuckin' dumb I swear.

Just saw a movie for the first time since the incident today. Man, I was really stressing out the first 30 minutes or so -- I know it would never happen again, but it's just such an odd thing. I couldn't imagine seeing Dark Knight after this in theaters...

The theater I was in was pretty empty (like 3 people) and a guy came in by himself, sat behind me and my gf holding a package. Yea, that wasn't helping my psyche. Poor guys that see movies by themselves wont be looked at the same for a while...
lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wow... not only a nutcase, but a pussy too.

I really don't see this being dementia, or even heavily "mental illness" related... I think this guy just wanted to act out a juvenille revenge/anti-hero fantasy, and the chickens are coming home to roost.....

Maybe he studied the system to try to ease his sentence. He got the smarts for at least try to.

BocoDragon

Maybe he studied the system to try to ease his sentence. He got the smarts for at least try to.

I don't really see "wow what happened? I don't even remember!" as a pro move.

Seems like a real child-level move. Your average 5 year old will try the same thing.

BocoDragon

This Jackass does not deserve the name Joker.

What a complete idiot.

He's not fooling anyone.

The Joker got the shit beat out of him by Batman in the holding cell, and stuck to all his plans.

Meanwhile, this little bitch claims innocence.

Wow... not only a nutcase, but a pussy too.

I really don't see this being dementia, or even heavily "mental illness" related... I think this guy just wanted to act out a juvenille revenge/anti-hero fantasy, and reality set in hard....
Probably his lawyer who suggested it. What a sick job...

I don't really see "wow what happened? I don't even remember!" as a pro move.

Seems like a real child-level move. Your average 5 year old will try the same thing.

Yeah, I may be giving him too much credit there indeed.
It is just that he was (was going to be?) a neuroscience doctorate student, was planning this for more than 3 months, and visiting psychiatrists meanwhile. Since he went down without resisting, it strikes me as if he was not having an episode (and now cowering), but still being a high-functioning psychopath.

Don't know why people want him to get the death sentence. He needs a cell to sit in all day with a phone and he has to listen to friends/family of the victims who get to say whatever they want to him.

Death sentences in general don't make much sense tbh.

BocoDragon

Yeah, I may be giving him too much credit there indeed.
It is just that he was (was going to be?) a neuroscience doctorate student, was planning this for more than 3 months, and visiting psychiatrists meanwhile. Since he went down without resisting, it strikes me as if he was not having an episode (and now cowering), but still being a high-functioning psychopath.

I mostly see a 24 year old (basically a kid) with a revenge fantasy, the magnitude of which only hit him after the fact.

I mean... he wanted to be the Joker... he thought this mayhem would be "romantic" and anti-hero like. In the moment, he realized he wasn't some agent of mayhem... he was just a real-life, scared, idiot kid.

He probably wanted to go down in a blaze of glory in a shootout with the cops... Easy to say, but the reality? It all happened so quickly and the life preservation aspect kicked in. I think he surrendered in the kind of daze of it all.

But you could be right. It could be a man of mental illness on an episode. But I think it's very likely this was a "normal" young man, of average to below-average fortitude, who had a deadly fantasy that was greater than his ability to actually carry it out.

Isn't northern idaho basically racist white militia territory?

Caldwell is in the Boise area, which leans more liberal than the rest of the state so I am actually a bit surprised. Anything north of Boise tends to be on the extreme end of conservatism. Steer clear of the panhandle, basically.

I live in southeast Idaho, and it's conservative here, but in the mormon sense. Although, we do have some crazy ass tycoons who think they can just own towns.

Hex

Banned
My take on this is that he is an asshat that wants his fame.
He did not kill himself because you can not enjoy your moment if you are dead.
He studied psychology and was on his way to his Phd so I am sure he thinks he knows the road to a defense.
Turning himself in so easily is also part of this though I am sure that he did not completely expect such a quick response time.

I look forward to the moment reality hits and just wish I could see it in his eyes.

Edit: I am trying to decide which is more asinine. The NY Post article or people getting shitty at people who plan on seeing the movie and going on with their lives as they should. I just can not decide they are both equally dumb.

Seems to be on course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom