• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunman kills twelve at theater in Aurora Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

trollcity

Neo Member
was thinking the other day, that while I'm generally opposed to the death penalty, I really wouldn't mind in the case of spree killers. fuck it if they're crazy, just make it like dealing with terrorists, no questions, death every time once their actions are proven beyond doubt.

who gives a toss if they were bullied or unstable, just quick to the needle IMO.

me too. and i am pretty anti-death penalty. i don't even care if he's crazy. he should probably not continue living

also, i have a friend who smokes a LOT of weed and i think they may be capable of something like this. so detached from reality. luckily guns are hard to get in NZ

TheDanger

Banned
So Bale really visited victims ?

165824_10150978197315735_175335022_n.jpg

Man thats almost as bad as the Jessica ones ;(

Reading back, its abit mental to say how "cool" its is of the hospitals to heal and care for the injured for "free".
Just rubs me the wrong way. You get kickstarters for the stupidest shite but there isnt even some kind of goverment fund or charity setup for people who end up in horrific events like this by default.

TheContact

Reading back, its abit mental to say how "cool" its is of the hospitals to heal and care for the injured for "free".
Just rubs me the wrong way. You get kickstarters for the stupidest shite but there isnt even some kind of goverment fund or charity setup for people who end up in horrific events like this by default.

what kind of charity or fund would they need? their hospital bills are being paid by the government, they're offered counselling for free, they have a lot of public support.

in the event that people's houses were destroyed by flood or fire, the government does help those people by putting them into hotels until their houses get fixed. our government isn't perfect, but it doesn't completely neglect the welfare of its people like you seem to think. yea we don't have free health care like Canada and some European countries, but we don't give half our check to the government every week.

what kind of charity or fund would they need? their hospital bills are being paid by the government, they're offered counselling for free, they have a lot of public support.

Im not trying to start something but It said in some reports bills were mounting for unisured folks and that the hospitals have decided to waive most if not all of the fees.
It being waived should not have even been an issue or news worthy im my eyes as I see that as something that should be standard in cases like this especially as it it seems to be portrayed as these hospitals being kind and so on. Outsider looking in thats all.

Sealda

Banned
I visited Aurora Mall like 6-7 years ago. All i remember of the area, is that it seemed kinda run down. At-least that big road going from downtown all the way to Aurora. The clientele stepping onto the buss, were basically very shady. (but i guess thats usual in us. )

Az

Finally got to see this last night here in Denver. For a Wednesday, a decent amount of people showed up.

Coal

Exactly, but you complained about juniors and nothing but posts determines whether or not you're a junior.

Yeah dude, I've posted more in the past few months than I have my entire time at GAF. I made my first post as a Member because I didn't post for a long long time.

To be on topic: How long do you guys really think this trial will take? I feel like unless some crazy shit happens, it's gonna be open and shut.

Personally i think it sucks that the hospital is paying for them. What about all those other people in hospitals that got shot by the wrong person? If i were one of them, id certainly feel like the hospital didnt care about me as much.

This type of thing should be the work of outside donation funds, having it sponsored by the hospital is terrible imo.

Hospitals shouldn't be playing favorites

It's amazing he just gave up with all that firepower and body armor.

Pretty sure he had the gear in case of resistance from the intended victims but planned to drive away afterwards and never intended to engage the cops or kill himself.

Fortunately, the cops showed up super fast and were able to apprehend him before he left the scene.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Six year old at a midnight viewing for a PG-13, dark violent movie?

Smokey

Pretty sure he had the gear in case of resistance from the intended victims but planned to drive away afterwards and never intended to engage the cops or kill himself.

Fortunately, the cops showed up super fast and were able to apprehend him before he left the scene.

i don't think so. what was the worst that one of his victims would have...a pistol?

dude was decked out to battle with the police imo

Mondriaan

Supposedly with the way he was decked out, the cops that showed up initially thought he was one of them, which might have been his plan.

Some of them noticed that his gear was different.

TheContact

Supposedly with the way he was decked out, the cops that showed up initially thought he was one of them, which might have been his plan.

Some of them noticed that his gear was different.

Dude wanted to get caught. Why else would you choose the theatre closest to the police station? For someone who planned out the attack as thoroughly as he did, you would think he would have chosen a location where he would have had time to get away.

wondermega

so many things don't add up. he shows up in all this gear (to a theater which he undoubtedly knows is going to be swarming with cops in moments, due to proximity to police station as noted above), kills and injures a whole bunch of people, and then retreats to his car and gives up without resistance. Also (pretty quickly) tells his captors that his apartment is wired to blow if they aren't careful. And yesterday's news about the package he sent to his psych detailing his plans for all of this, before anything even went down.

It doesn't sound like he ever intended to engage the police, or even attempt to kill himself or flee. Likewise, he could easily have done much more damage on a wider scale if he had wanted to as well (what if he lobbed a few grenades into the theater?)

It doesn't help to try and look at things in a rational way "if I was this guy, here's what I would do" - it just sounds like the whole thing is a bunch of craziness that a normal person's brain can't relate to. That's hard for the majority of us to conceive however (because we're, you know, not crazy) But it's in our nature to look at chaos and try to make sense of it, so that hopefully we can begin to understand what/why/how.

bro1

Banned

in the event that people's houses were destroyed by flood or fire, the government does help those people by putting them into hotels until their houses get fixed. our government isn't perfect, but it doesn't completely neglect the welfare of its people like you seem to think. yea we don't have free health care like Canada and some European countries, but we don't give half our check to the government every week.
The government is not paying their bills. You are also confusing the red cross with the government for emergencies unless it's a FEMA level event

Holy shit.

wow that's crazy news.

Drum mags are pretty bad with jams, and really the AR-15 is not that great of a weapon, it's prone to many jams as well. Military has wanted to replace them for a long time but keep dumping any more reliable weapon systems due to cost.

FStop7

Banned
"Also, CBS News senior correspondent John Miller reported that the shooter had a hit ratio twice of what a police officer might have engaging with armed assailants in a street setting. That suggests that the suspect -- who is believed to have planned his assault with precision -- must have practiced shooting prior to the attack."

From the same link.

Is it complete non-sense to anyone else? What does shooting at armed assailants in a street setting have anything to do with shooting bunched up and unarmed people all trying to escape from the same exit?

Yes. It's ridiculous. He was firing a shotgun in a packed room. The spread was going to hit all sorts of people. Just gross to even think about why some sort of comparison like this is even being made.

Holy shit.

wow that's crazy news.

Those drums are shit. They're basically a novelty item for back yard plinkers. Thank God it jammed, probably saved some lives. It would have been worse if he'd simply carried 3 or 4 30 round mags.

DarkKyo

So I see CNN has a special "Madness at Midnight" coming up.

Anyone else think it's shameless to cash in on a tragedy like this? They're going to go with as sensitive an angle as possible but there's no way any sensible person would churn out such a special so soon afterwards. They know people will tune in so their coverage on this case is endless(even when there's no new news on it for days).

TheContact

Yes. It's ridiculous. He was firing a shotgun in a packed room. The spread was going to hit all sorts of people. Just gross to even think about why some sort of comparison like this is even being made.

Those drums are shit. They're basically a novelty item for back yard plinkers. Thank God it jammed, probably saved some lives. It would have been worse if he'd simply carried 3 or 4 30 round mags.

He brought 3 guns inside, I don't think he planned on wanting to spend time to reload. I think after the 100 rounds were gone he would've dropped the gun or put it away, and took out the shotgun. He had to do it prematurely because his weapon jammed, and you can be sure that a lot more would have died if he sprayed the room without his gun jamming.

He brought 3 guns inside, I don't think he planned on wanting to spend time to reload. I think after the 100 rounds were gone he would've dropped the gun or put it away, and took out the shotgun. He had to do it prematurely because his weapon jammed, and you can be sure that a lot more would have died if he sprayed the room without his gun jamming.

But if he intended to do that, when the rifle jammed he would have just pulled out the other guns instead of going back to his car. Really alot doesn't make sense and I doubt hes of any mindset that involved much sense.

i thought that was what happened (rifle jammed, shot with shotgun)? or did he exit, get the shotgun, and come back in and shoot some more?

From last I read, he came in and shot the shotgun, then switched to the rifle. When it jammed, he left and went to his car where he was arrested.

Arcteryx

So I see CNN has a special "Madness at Midnight" coming up.

Anyone else think it's shameless to cash in on a tragedy like this? They're going to go with as sensitive an angle as possible but there's no way any sensible person would churn out such a special so soon afterwards. They know people will tune in so their coverage on this case is endless(even when there's no new news on it for days).

Yea the headlines for this incident are pretty disgusting. The other night while flipping through the news, NBC had some special and (no joke) they used what sounded like a movie trailer voiceover guy "The Movie Theater Massacre"...it's beyond ghoulish.

Pandemic

EXCLUSIVE: ‘Dark Knight’ shooting suspect James Holmes claims amnesia
The Joker is playing the amnesia card.

Accused mass murderer James Holmes told jailhouse workers that he remains stumped about what landed him in a Colorado lockup, a jail staffer told the Daily News.

“He claims he doesn’t know why he’s in jail,” the worker said Thursday. “He asked, ‘Why am I here?’”

Holmes, 24, who is charged with shooting a dozen people to death and wounding 58 more at a screening of the new Batman movie, was also complaining of a stomach ache caused by lousy jail food after his sixth day at the Arapahoe County Detention Center, the worker said.

“He’s claiming his belly hurts him,” the worker said. “He complained once that he didn’t like the food . . . The guy killed 12 people, and he’s upset that he’s not getting a four-star meal?”

The former California honor student picks at his meals on some days, and doesn’t eat at all on others. A typical breakfast would include sausage and grits, while lunch could mean a ham sandwich.

The suspect remains under 23-hour lockdown, leaving his cell just once a day. Authorities fear that other inmates could target Holmes and have him wear a bulletproof vest during his daily walk.

The jail worker said most folks inside the county lockup consider Holmes’ memory loss a ruse.

“He needs to save his act for the jury because no one here is buying it,” the worker said. “Everyone is convinced he is faking it.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...james-holmes-claims-amnesia-article-1.1122289

MIMIC

Banned
The suspect remains under 23-hour lockdown, leaving his cell just once a day. Authorities fear that other inmates could target Holmes and have him wear a bulletproof vest during his daily walk.

Heh, he's like a dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom