• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft DRM features exploit that allows arbitrary code execution (update: patched)

I believe the article in the OP had a proof of concept that would open the calculator app. Using that as a test would be an easy way to see if their fix worked.

That was only to test if it could launch apps and turn your computer into a zombie. The tracking what you do was already discovered and still exists, and can still be exploited. Ubisoft is acting, so there should be another patch soon, unless they can't figure out a way to wiretap you without sharing the info. :p

Joni

Companies like Valve/Amazon/Newegg/Ms/Blizzard have had access to my computer or CC for years and years without issue. If one of them fucked that up? Would bail on their products/services and never look back, simple as that.
We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieln...0/steam-hacked-newell-watch-your-credit-card/

Blizzard

Banned
We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danieln...0/steam-hacked-newell-watch-your-credit-card/
The quote goes on to say that they had no evidence that credit card or personally identifiable information was taken, correct? It was a warning just in case, and I'm glad they did it.

jimi_dini

I believe the article in the OP had a proof of concept that would open the calculator app. Using that as a test would be an easy way to see if their fix worked.

Somewhat.
To be really sure, you would have to look at the code itself (via disassembly, using IDA).
There could be workarounds possible to still trigger the code execution.

Geoff9920

Somewhat.
To be really sure, you would have to look at the code itself (via disassembly, using IDA).
There could be workarounds possible to still trigger the code execution.
Thanks! I've just uninstalled the damn uplay app for now as I haven't been playing Ubisoft games lately. Although I'd like to eventually get to Anno 2070 and Driver San Francisco...

It's threads like these that make me realize how much I don't know about computers and I can consider myself to be fairly tech savvy. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So it seems like it's the uPlay where it's its own service rather than a minor one that pops out when you only play the game.

Joni

The quote goes on to say that they had non evidence that credit card or personally identifiable information was taken, correct? It was a warning just in case, and I'm glad they did it.
We also never got the proof that credit card data was taken from Sony. By his reasoning, he should stop using Steam too.

Game Guru

We also never got the proof that credit card data was taken from Sony. By his reasoning, he should stop using Steam too.

To be fair, it should be more about the reactions of the companies... Valve immediately admitted that it happened, fixed it in a timely manner, and offered suggestions for their customers. Sony took their online service down for about a month without explaining what had happened.

These things happen, but Valve handled it much better than Sony did.

Shambles

Wow, this is unbelievable. What else has ubi plugged in to give themselves unfettered access to your computer. Thank goodness I didn't pick up any of the AC games during the summer sale. I'll be sure to avoid Ubi in the future, they can go fuck themselves.

Joni

To be fair, it should be more about the reactions of the companies... Valve immediately admitted that it happened, fixed it in a timely manner, and offered suggestions for their customers. Sony took their online service down for about a month without explaining what had happened.

These things happen, but Valve handled it much better than Sony did.
They took it offline, informed the authorities, started investigating and explained it within the week. Before the PSN hack it was quite unheard off for a company to come clean so fast. Compare it to banks who try to hide it. For Valve it was easier, they had already seen it is better to react even faster.

apana

DRM sucks, I've been warning people about it for a long time. I put up with Ubisoft when I should have known better. These jerks at Ubi, Sony, and damn near every company don't care about consumers. Stop trying to put your malware on my computer, assholes! We need an official thread monitoring DRM.

iNvid02

What else has ubi plugged in to give themselves unfettered access to your computer.

Stop trying to put your malware on my computer, assholes! .

thats great and all guys but no, the sensationalist headlines have suckered you in

it was a security issue with a browser plugin, allowing the launch of other things apart from the uplay app it was intended to launch

it wasnt a rootkit, it most likely wasnt done on purpose, someone at ubi just got lazy and fucked up - the client has been patched now

DRM still sucks, but lets not get crazy here

Shaneus

So if I disable the plugin, am I able to start Ubisoft games without having to click "Play" in Steam, then wait for Uplay to load, then click "play game" in Uplay as well? Because that's as annoying as shit.

Sysgen

thats great and all guys but no, the sensationalist headlines have suckered you in

it was a security issue with a browser plugin, allowing the launch of other things apart from the uplay app it was intended to launch

it wasnt a rootkit, it most likely wasnt done on purpose, someone at ubi just got lazy and fucked up - the client has been patched now

DRM still sucks, but lets not get crazy here

The plugin comes with the installation of the Uplay app so those quotes are right. You can separate the yolk from the egg white but they came from the same egg.

I purchased Heroes VI on steam, which uses uplay, but I didn't see any uplay plugin on my web browsers. Do you think they weren't installed for some reason or are hidden?

Carm

Has anyones Ubisoft Uplay games on Steam updated to the new Uplay client? My patch release notes for Uplay are still saying July 12th as the most recent. I already disabled the plugins, so shouldn't have any issues, but it would be nice for them to actually update the Steam version.

Top Bottom