• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 08•18-20•17 - Dolled up Deadpool & Nick Fury team up, get Logan (not that one)

Still got my avatar bet with DeathyBoy that JL doesn't outgross Avengers. I am still trying to figure out what avatar to punish him with when I win.

Nothing will live up to the Batman v Superman review thread. Unless for some reason Avatar 2 is a complete turd critically. That is honestly the only thing I can see overtaking the BvS review thread for most fun to track as things rolled in.

kswiston

Nothing will live up to the Batman v Superman review thread. Unless for some reason Avatar 2 is a complete turd critically. That is honestly the only thing I can see overtaking the BvS review thread for most fun to track as things rolled in.

What if Justice League is 100 minutes long?

and then Collin Trevorrow makes the first Rotten Star Wars

TPM was fresh until 3D, the animated movie doesn't count

I want Avatar 2, Justice League, and Thor Ragnarok to all be fun and enjoyable movies that do well in the box office.

The Minecraft movie can go straight to hell, though.

kswiston

Or Thor Too: The Darcy World?

giphy.gif

^ Toa Tak approved

Watch Minecraft pull off some weird wizardry like LEGO Movie did. A film that is nothing but some shameless, almost insulting cash grab/advertisement on the surface, but winds up being really damn good and heartfelt.

Watch Minecraft pull off some weird wizardry like LEGO Movie did. A film that is nothing but some shameless, almost insulting cash grab/advertisement on the surface, but winds up being really damn good and heartfelt.

I see no reason why it couldn't, though I haven't looked at the people involved so there's that.

I see no reason why it couldn't, though I haven't looked at the people involved so there's that.

I honestly have zero interest in Minecraft the film, so I haven't paid attention to the talent either.
Heck, I was rolling my eyes at the LEGO Movie months before release, and LEGO is where almost all my free money goes to (as evident by the LEGO GAF threads). But when the reviews for that were rolling in, I had to see what the fuss was about, and I was very surprised by how well it turned out. I am willing to give the LEGO films the benefit of the doubt now, because they are 2 for 2, although LEGO Batman wasn't as good as the LEGO Movie.

It's sort of crazy that it took until 2017 for this to happen.

And sad that it took that long.

But it is awesome that it happened.

I honestly have zero interest in Minecraft the film, so I haven't paid attention to the talent either.
Heck, I was rolling my eyes at the LEGO Movie months before release, and LEGO is where almost all my free money goes to (as evident by the LEGO GAF threads). But when the reviews for that were rolling in, I had to see what the fuss was about, and I was very surprised by how well it turned out. I am willing to give the LEGO films the benefit of the doubt now, because they are 2 for 2, although LEGO Batman wasn't as good as the LEGO Movie.

Apparently directed and co-written by Rob McElhenney with Steve Carell starring (I did know that part before), sooooo... that'll be interesting. That team sounds a lot like they're trying to emulate the Lego Movie to me.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand beaten

kswiston

Hmmm.

And about the Girls Trip news, Fate of the Furious is the highest grossing film by an African American director isn't it?

Yes. Gary Gray broke his own opening weekend record for an African American director as well. I can't remember if Straight Outta Compton had the overall gross record or not. If so, it wasn't by much. Tim Story directed the first set of Fantastic Four films.

I'm joking about the Minecraft movie but I legit can't think of a movie I don't want to do well.

And there's a lesson Hollywood should be learning from Wonder Woman and Girls Trip this summer. Can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe greenlight a World War 1 movie with the cast of Entourage.

Cvie

I can't wait until it ends up being "surprisingly not total shit" with a "thoroughly unremarkable in either direction" box office run and no one knows how to spin it.

thoroughly unremarkable in either direction means less than avengers which means dumpster fire failure. There is no scenario that will be unspinnable for JL.

Expecting Coogler to come in second in the top grosses for African American directors. He will most likely come in 1st domestically with Black Panther, but $1.2b is a very steep hill to climb worldwide, so Gray will likely keep that title.

Yes. Gary Gray broke his own opening weekend record for an African American director as well. I can't remember if Straight Outta Compton had the overall gross record or not. If so, it wasn't by much. Tim Story directed the first set of Fantastic Four films.

Back in March, IndieWire did the top 33 highest grossing films domestically by Black Directors but used the annoying adjusted inflation that you love so much (LOL) gross.

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/h...ack-directors-film-box-office-1201815358/amp/

Back in March, IndieWire did the top 33 highest grossing films domestically by Black Directors but used the annoying adjusted inflation that you love so much (LOL) gross.

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/05/h...ack-directors-film-box-office-1201815358/amp/

I'd like to see how that list looks unadjusted, but I don't think I want to take the time to untangle that right now. Maybe later this week. I wouldn't be surprised if you could make the top 50 with a $50 mil domestic take.

Cheebo

Banned
TFA might have been bigger, but that's the only thing that I thought might compare.

I don't know how quantifiable this is, but shirts, bat-symbols on everything, the Prince music-- shit was omnipresent. Batmania in full effect.

I'm not saying this out of any reverence for the movie (I think it was so-so on release and has aged horribly).

BB-8 merchandise and being on EVERYTHING in 2015 says otherwise.

The marketing and mania for TFA and TFA related products and imagery was way, way, way, way bigger than Batman '89. Using every metric under the sun.

And I am someone who saw Batman '89 in theaters and had a Bob the Goon action figure.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Girls Trip basically saved comedy this summer. And it launched Tiffany Haddish into the next level. She got that Kevin Hart movie last week, so she's already reaping the rewards of Girls Trip's success. I hope she gets another project that's strictly her leading.

The rest of the comedy scene is on notice. Stop trying to improv your way through an entire movie. None of you are that fucking funny. Doesn't matter if you're Kate McKinnon or Will Ferrell, the shtick is old.

Top Bottom