• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 01•22-24•10 - avatar kisses goodnite, sweet knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

al5l54.jpg
2ih0214.jpg
v5zfab.jpg
2e1hagp.jpg
30j743m.jpg

rottenwatch box office:
mifezb.gif
82% Avatar
2a8kqxt.gif
23% Legion
2h544jo.gif
45% The Book of Eli
25aqgyp.gif
15% The Tooth Fairy
i4mm4h.gif
36% The Lovely Bones
-
28724cg.gif
26% Extraordinary Measures
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
28724cg.gif
30% To Save a Life

metacritic box office:

*click pic(s) for source*

'Avatar' passes 'Dark Knight' at box office. Fox claims three of the frame's top 10 slots

Topping the frame with an estimated weekend gross of $36 million for a cume of $552.8 million, 20th Century Fox and James Cameron's "Avatar" surpassed Warner Bros.' "The Dark Knight" with $533.3 million to become the second highest grossing film.

Along with "Avatar," Fox claimed three of the frame's top 10 slots with "Tooth Fairy" opening to $14.5 million at 3,344 locations, while "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel" brought in $6.5 million at 2,973 in its fifth frame.

Sony's post-apocalyptic offering "Legion" performed well in its opening frame with $18.2 million at 2,476 locations, while CBS Film's inaugural pic "Extraordinary Measures" opened to $7 million at 2,549.

*click pic for full list/source*

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Also 2 million shy of Titanic worldwide.

The ship is sinking tomorrow.

DrForester said:
Legs on Alvin and the Chipmunks is just staggering.

Well played :lol

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I also can't believe CBS films decided to launch out of the gate with such a by the numbers inspirational piece of shit.

I guess it's better than CSI: Miami the movie. Actually, I'm surprised it's not in production already :lol

bud

so basically, it'll cross the $2b mark. :lol

and to think that it only got released five weeks ago...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
PhoncipleBone said:
quaritchTDK.jpg

Soon there will be nothing left for Colonel Quaritch to shoot down.
Need a version of him with a sinking Titanic in the background.

GhaleonEB

Darklord said:
At this rate Avatar could hit $2.5b world wide, a long shot but there's a chance.
A better chance than you might think. This week - Monday-Sunday - Avatar made $227m. It's dropping at about ~20% per week. If that holds up, we're looking at just 5-6 weeks until $2.5b.
reilo said:
Need a version of him with a sinking Titanic in the background.
Oh, we have that too. Someone will dig it up. :lol

Edit: here it is.

5zgkg7.jpg

jett

D-Member
At this point James Cameron could probably self-finance the next Avatar movie and keep most of the gross to himself. :lol

GhaleonEB said:

I rushed together the Dark Knight one this morning in Photoshop (it could be much better, but I wanted it done fast). I didnt search around for the Titanic one. It is somewhere online and on GAF.

skyfinch

God damn! I honestly thought The Tooth Fairy would place a dollar under Cameron's pillow. I mean, just look at the poster. "You can't handle the tooth". That's frigging gold tooth right there.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
GhaleonEB said:

Edit: here it is.

5zgkg7.jpg
Why did I ever question the existence of this? :lol

jett

D-Member
woodchuck said:
anybody know how much of the box office take Cameron is getting?

No, but usually its 10%. I wouldn't doubt James Cameron getting at least 15% of the gross. 2billion+ gross could give him 300 mill.

Looks like a lot of people couldn't handle the tooth.

Time to give the people what the really want, Dwayne.

The Game Plan 2: All or Nothing

ryutaro's mama said:
Looks like a lot of people couldn't handle the tooth.

Time to give the people what the really want, Dwayne.

The Game Plan 2: All or Nothing

I'd rather see the Rock in No Holds Barred 2, with Terry Crews as Zeus the second.

GhaleonEB

bigosc2k said:
Holy hell #1 again, wow only James Cameron can beat out his own movies
What really surprises me isn't that after 12 years, no one else topped Titanic. It's that nothing else came even close. Quick and dirty graph from BOM's top 10 world-wide:

2dvk6cz.jpg

Top two are both Cameron movies, the only original titles in the top 10, and both over $700m ahead of the next closest film. Maybe having short titles is the secret.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'd rather see the Rock in No Holds Barred 2, with Terry Crews as Zeus the second.

You sure you didn't mean you'd rather see a reimagining of Over the Top for today's generation?

You are aware of the Suburban Commando reboot rumors, aren't you?

GhaleonEB said:
What really surprises me isn't that after 12 years, no one else topped Titanic. It's that nothing else came even close. Quick and dirty graph from BOM's top 10 world-wide:

2dvk6cz.jpg

Top two are both Cameron movies, the only original titles in the top 10, and both over $700m ahead of the next closest film. Maybe having short titles is the secret.

I'm sure that if it had 3D prices, Return of the King and Dead Mans Chest, would've come pretty close.

Let's not pretend like that has no bearing....Not saying they would've made as much as Avatar mind you.

Timbuktu said:
What have people got against Reitman? Up in the Air was a good film.

He came off bitter @ the Golden Globes when Cameron won.

Also, in a series of Roundtable discussions he had with Cameron, Bigelow, Daniels and Tarantino, came off as whiny and spoiled IMO.

Those videos are @ latimes.com and someone linked them in the AVATAR Rottenwatch thread, if you're interested.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Well it's officially going to pass it tomorrow. Few more weeks left though until it passes it domestically.

This being said, nice showing for Legion actually, I know it's not great, but I expected this movie to just pass on by and do nothing, should surpass it's budget by a good amount. Too bad it's apparently terrible.

ryutaro's mama said:

Also, in a series of Roundtable discussions he had with Cameron, Bigelow, Daniels and Tarantino, came off as whiny and spoiled IMO.

Those videos are @ latimes.com and someone linked them in the AVATAR Rottenwatch thread, if you're interested.

There's something deliciously ironic about a Cameron-fan shitting on another director's personality.

GhaleonEB

ryutaro's mama said:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/envelope-roundtable-series/

He does come off as a bit of a dick. And I liked Juno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom