• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 01•22-24•10 - avatar kisses goodnite, sweet knight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sriffat said:
The adjusted list is a big fraud. Look. a movie like the STING released in 1973 where inflation was screwed up made 156 domestically which is 655 million adjusted. That is absurd.

You mad.gif

Considering how absurd the prices of ticket prices have gone up (getting near $20 for some Imax/3D viewing), if anything is bullshit is Avatar numbers.

The Sting is also the better movie!

G-Fex

PhoncipleBone said:
quaritchTDK.jpg

Soon there will be nothing left for Colonel Quaritch to shoot down.

They named the guy after that game in the harry potter movies?

Wow! Are we having yet another argument in the weekly box office thread regarding ticket prices and adjusted for inflation numbers? Seriously guys, get over it. Avatar is stomping all the box office records. Does it really matter how it got there? Those records are going to be broken eventually, and the movie industry has change dramatically. It's pretty amazing what Avatar is doing.

gerg

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Wow! Are we having yet another argument in the weekly box office thread regarding ticket prices and adjusted for inflation numbers? Seriously guys, get over it. Avatar is stomping all the box office records. Does it really matter how it got there? Those records are going to be broken eventually, and the movie industry has change dramatically. It's pretty amazing what Avatar is doing.

thisisneogafdude

If we only ever debated matters once, I imagine that both the Gaming and OT forums would be pretty quiet.

Is it possible to have any middle ground for this film? All I hear is that it's a piece of shit pocahontas ripoff, or that it's an amazing film unlike any other.

I loved the film, and I would probably put it up as Cameron's 4th best film. But I've seen better this year and possibly every year this decade. It is extravagant that's for sure, I think I could liken it to when I saw Return of the King in theaters (though I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the LOTR trilogy). But, eh I don't really see this film winning any awards other than best director (which he certainly earned) and best visual effects.

gerg said:
thisisneogafdude

If we only ever debated matters once, I imagine that both the Gaming and OT forums would be pretty quiet.

I know that very well. But it's getting to be a broken record in these threads, week in and week out. Some people are having a really hard time accepting Avatar's success, but it's the same tired argument in this tread each week, and it's been going on in the Avatar thread as well.

Discotheque said:
Is it possible to have any middle ground for this film? All I hear is that it's a piece of shit pocahontas ripoff, or that it's an amazing film unlike any other.

I loved the film, and I would probably put it up as Cameron's 4th best film. But I've seen better this year and possibly every year this decade. It is extravagant that's for sure, I think I could liken it to when I saw Return of the King in theaters (though I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the LOTR trilogy). But, eh I don't really see this film winning any awards other than best director (which he certainly earned) and best visual effects.

I'm very "middle ground" on this movie. I didn't love it, but I certainly don't hate it either. Technically, it's makes a few steps forward, especially in the area of 3D, although I don't see a lot that hasn't been done elsewhere before. On top of that, I think the story and dialog are quite cliched at times, but in spite of that, it is still an enjoyable theater experience that won't be replicated on DVD/BluRay when it comes home in a few months time.

moriya2k2

Banned
See You Next Wednesday said:
You mad.gif

Considering how absurd the prices of ticket prices have gone up (getting near $20 for some Imax/3D viewing), if anything is bullshit is Avatar numbers.

The Sting is also the better movie!

mh_gtfo-1.gif

gerg

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I know that very well. But it's getting to be a broken record in these threads, week in and week out. Some people are having a really hard time accepting Avatar's success, but it's the same tired argument in this tread each week, and it's been going on in the Avatar thread as well.

I think there may be some element of people not wanting to accept that Avatar might not actually be the be-all and end-all of modern film production, as well.

koam

Discotheque said:

People who hate it were going to hate it no matter what or they didn't see it and pretend that they did.

People who think it's the best movie ever are crazy.

The movie was good, the story was been there/ done that but still presented in a nice way and the characters were likable enough for you to care about them. The 3D was not a gimmick, it made pandora feel real. Pandora itself was perhaps the best thing about the movie and I can see why people would want to live there (though i don't get why people who spend their days in front of a computer and don't go outside would).

Kevtones

ryutaro's mama said:
I didn't like Juno, not because of the direction, but because of Diablo Cody's lame dialogue that tried so hard to be hip.

Pretty much. If anyone watched Jennifer's Body you might OD on Codyisms.

Haven't seen Up In The Air but Thank You For Smoking is one of my favorites of the 2000s.

G-Fex said:
They named the guy after that game in the harry potter movies?

Quaritch, Quidditch. Whatever.

Inflation or not, the fact that this will break the record is a astounding. Especially because nothing came close to the record for over a decade.

Domestic BO wise, Dark Knight was the only thing that looked like it might take it, but the steam ran out on that train due to the summer onslaught. Worldwide there was such a giant gap between #1 and #2, and that only four films had ever broken $1billion worldwide. Now Avatar comes along and will most likely be the first movie to cross $2 billion WW.

I love the movie to death, but am not a mindless devotee to it. I just think it shows we should not doubt the power of James Cameron.

ryutaro's mama said:
I want to see that movie.
I highly recommend it. The chemistry between RDJ and Jude Law alone is worth the price of admission.

darkwings said:
oh boy, I thought TDK was 10x more intriguing than Avatar. What's wrong with the movie crowd these days :/
Never underestimate the power of hype and spectacle.

Sherlock Holmes is a piece of shit. Almost made me hate the books. Guy Ritchie's a hack.

Though I do agree with you on the chemistry. RDJ really saved the film from complete crappery.

koam said:
What is the next big movie? Is there anything next week that can break Avatar's streak?
Probably Avatar 2: Electric Boogaloo, whenever that comes out.

While I'm mixed on Avatar (which I admit is odd, considering I've seen it three times), I definitely see huge potential in the series. Hopefully Cameron can branch out the narrative into some uncharted territory, in which case I'll forgive Avatar for its extremely generic plot.

Discotheque said:
Guy Ritchie's a hack.
Ritchie's style was an unnecessary distraction, but I think the lead performances were more than enough to make up for that.

Though I do hope they get someone new directing for the sequel. There are already reports that the sequel is being fast tracked, (which is no surprise due to it's success) so I'd love to see someone a bit more subtle take the reigns for the next installment. They've already got the acting talent to make this into a credible franchise.

koam said:
Titanic was #1 for 15 weekends in a row, Avatar won't be able to do that.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/bestranked.htm?page=WKNDSCAT1&p=.htm

Not to mention it sold about 4 times the seats that Avatar has. But oh nooooo, we're just a bunch of naysayers holding Avatar back from true glory :lol

Having said that, Avatar's box office receipts are impressive. But I hate how people are acting like the 3D ticket prices didn't help it at all. If ROTK were in 3D it would have been at 2.ish billion.

nemesun

Fox must not believe their luck, other than X men and one or two other movies they hardly had a runaway hit for ages. and obligatory congratulation to Cameron, it seems he can't put a foot wrong and its well deserved.

Discotheque said:
Not to mention it sold about 4 times the seats that Avatar has. But oh nooooo, we're just a bunch of naysayers holding Avatar back from true glory :lol

Having said that, Avatar's box office receipts are impressive. But I hate how people are acting like the 3D ticket prices didn't help it at all. If ROTK were in 3D it would have been at 2.ish billion.

If this if that... You act like the 3D was just something anyone could slap on... Cameron spent years developing tech so he could shoot 3D like he did in Avatar... the fact people are paying for it in droves, kind of proves his original point. Without Cameron we wouldn't be looking at the future of 3D in the same way

darkwings said:
oh boy, I thought TDK was 10x more intriguing than Avatar. What's wrong with the movie crowd these days :/

Well The Dark Knight is a movie for boys. Avatar is a movie for boys and girls. Avatar is a love story with shooting, Titanic was a love story with a disaster at the end.

See the pattern? You can give stuff to the boys but if the girls aren't at the forefront of the movie you can forget those records.

Batman is the most money a geek, all boys movie will haver make. Cameron has the not so secret ingredient, but studios don't listen apparently.

Twilight New Moon made over 700 million at the box office. Now image if that shit had some good stuff for the boys, and was in 3D.

Still wouldn't make as much money as Titanic or Avatar, but it would probably would've doubled its intake to 1.4 billion. I'm not kidding.

Dead

well not really...yet
Gunloc said:
I highly recommend it. The chemistry between RDJ and Jude Law alone is worth the price of admission.

Never underestimate the power of hype and spectacle.
Because TDK had no hype whatsoever and was a plain old movie with no action and spectacle whatsoever.

Decado

nemesun said:
Fox must not believe their luck, other than X men and one or two other movies they hardly had a runaway hit for ages. and obligatory congratulation to Cameron, it seems he can't put a foot wrong and its well deserved.
Maybe this will help them realize that they're more likely to make money if they don't screw up their movies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Really great numbers for Avatar, Jesus Christ.

Dead said:
Because TDK had no hype whatsoever and was a plain old movie with no action and spectacle whatsoever.
My comment was directed at the success of Avatar, not it's surpassing TDK. I know both movies were hyped to hell and back.

I was saying that it doesn't matter what has preceded it. When a wave a pop culture hysteria hits, there's nothing you can do but wait for it to pass.

Yeah Cameron basically covers all of his bases these days. He threw in mechs, aliens, giant choppers and a love story.

But I don't think the love-story really drew anybody in. It was the hype of the experience. Surprisingly everybody listened, and it was a really cool experience too. Seeing as it's Cameron though, I hope he steps up his game for the sequel. The first movie's story was fine as a basic introduction but now he better step it up for Electric Boogaloo.

Dead said:

Forreal? Plain old film? Far from it. It was really cool and intense. And although Nolan still can't film action THAT well, it was still a very thrilling film and I found it to be better than Avatar.

Discotheque said:
Forreal? Plain old film? Far from it. It was really cool and intense. And although Nolan still can't film action THAT well, it was still a very thrilling film and I found it to be better than Avatar.
He was being sarcastic.

I'm tired of naysayers using the 3D ticket price as some kind of mitigator of Avatar's success. The whole point is that audiences are willing to pay a premium price for the premium experience this movie provides. They would not have turned out in such numbers for a lesser film which is why none of the new wave of 3D movies, all with the same premium ticket price, blew up the way this one did.

As for ROTK... sure, if it had been in 3D it would have made more money. But it wasn't. Cameron is the one who rolled the dice and did the pioneering work, not Jackson, so Cameron reaps the rewards.

FUAAAAACK! I should have caught that.

And as for the pioneer comment, I strictly remember Two Towers' Gollum being the springboard for James Cameron to start up work on Avatar.

artist

Banned
koam said:
Titanic was #1 for 15 weekends in a row, Avatar won't be able to do that.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/bestranked.htm?page=WKNDSCAT1&p=.htm
You cant get them all .. (records). Right now, as per the number of total records:
1. TDK (27)
2. Titanic (10)
4. Avatar (7)

When all is said and done Avatar will end up with 13+ and Titanic will end up loosing 3 to 7. :D

Also Avatar has a good shot at breaking the 7th weekend record by dropping less than 28% next weekend.

Biggest story of this week however; Tooth Fairy bomba. :lol

Sharp

Discotheque said:

I'd love to see your calculations for that, because I've actually done some (yes, taking into account the difference between 2D and 3D) and I suspect Avatar will end up at something like 77 million tickets domestically, or over half those of Titanic and definitely more than The Dark Knight. ROTK, sad to say, would not be sniffing two billion worldwide, not even with 3D. Y'all need to realize that most movies don't have anywhere close to the 3D-2D ratio Avatar does--it's like 80-20 and still increasing while most 3D movies are nearer 55-45. I suppose you'll figure it out soon when every major tentpole release comes with a 3D option, though.

legend166

reilo said:
I can't believe that 3 franchises occupy numbers 3-10:

LotR, Harry Potter, and Pirates of the Carribean.The only combo breaker is The Dark Knight, and that is an adaptation, too. Kudos to Cameron for actually writing his own story.

Well, that's still up for debate.

starsky

Discotheque said:

Having said that, Avatar's box office receipts are impressive. But I hate how people are acting like the 3D ticket prices didn't help it at all.

I can agree with this post.

For me, Titanic has a better story than Avatar but Avatar is a definitely more enjoyable experience to watch on the big screen. That's why I only watched Titanic once while Avatar already got $100++ from me. Either way, James Cameron wins.

I agree that people always coming up with logic to explain why although Avatar's success is amazing it should be taken into context, becomes exhausting for the people who read.

But i have to say, the only reason it's such, it's because dozens of posters like GhaleonEB have made their full time job at GAF of telling everybody just how much money Avatar is making and how impressive it is. That also does get a bit exhausting for people who read.

Obviously it won't get any better until the next big movie comes and people just move on, unfortunately we still have the oscar debacle to happen, with the Avatar fans using the Oscar wins to annoy everybody who isn't a blue color lover.

Nothing new, nothing serious. It's a forum!

Ninja Scooter said:
HE MADE A FACE AT CAMERON!

Tobey Maguire's face was even funnier when he lost Best Actor to Jeff Bridges. It was like a realization that he'll forever be remembered as Spiderman :lol I felt bad for him. He was quite good in Brothers.

JdFoX187

Banned
God, I thought these threads were bad enough, then a new flock of juniors come in with so much angst and hatred built up from their time lurking that they can't wait to just throw it all out there and shit on everyone.

Avatar is going to make more than $2 billion worldwide. Does it matter how it does that? No. Did 3D factor into it? Yes. But there have been plenty of other 3D movies out long before the first trailer for Avatar hit, and they didn't make near the amount of money it did. So obviously, it's doing something right, and you cannot pin its entire success on the fact that it was 3D.

This is worse than people whining about Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen making it to $400 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom