• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Wkd Box Office 01•22-24•10 - avatar kisses goodnite, sweet knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I liked Juno, Thank you for smoking, Up in the air and will probably watch his next flick.
However, that doesn't change the fact that he's still an envious individual.

DevelopmentArrested said:
There's something deliciously ironic about a Cameron-fan shitting on another director's personality.

Heh. That's good except I don't recall Cameron badmouthing The Air Up There.

Reitman believed his own hype and when he lost at the Globes, he didn't know how to act.

Michael Jordan was arrogant but he got shit done.

Sure Cameron is arrogant, but he too, gets shit done.

Reitman is arrogant and hasn't done shit.

ryutaro's mama said:
Heh. That's good except I don't recall Cameron badmouthing The Air Up There.

Reitman believed his own hype and when he lost at the Globes, he didn't know how to act.

Michael Jordan was arrogant but he got shit done.

air_up_there.jpg

That would be funny if that movie was rereleased and got award talk.

ryutaro's mama said:
Heh. That's good except I don't recall Cameron badmouthing
The Air Up There.
You're right, he was too busy badmouthing Meryl Streep to do that.

Oh sorry, I thought Reitman won Best Screenplay? Did I imagine that? No rational being, including Reitman geniunely thought he had a chance at Best Pic.

If Hurt Locker wins the Oscar, will Cameron still get a pass for being a douchebag?

:lol 3 critically acclaimed movies, in which last two have been very profitable. Try again?

Sriffat

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
What really surprises me isn't that after 12 years, no one else topped Titanic. It's that nothing else came even close. Quick and dirty graph from BOM's top 10 world-wide:

2dvk6cz.jpg

Top two are both Cameron movies, the only original titles in the top 10, and both over $700m ahead of the next closest film. Maybe having short titles is the secret.

Looks like the only movie which can take down the two towers by James Cameron is a 9/11 movie by James Cameron

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I can't believe that 3 franchises occupy numbers 3-10:

LotR, Harry Potter, and Pirates of the Carribean.The only combo breaker is The Dark Knight, and that is an adaptation, too. Kudos to Cameron for actually writing his own story.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
:lol 3 critically acclaimed movies, in which last two have been very profitable. Try again?
Better not be referring to Juno as one of the three. There is opinion then there is supporting crimes against humanity.

Also I thought you were referring to the actual avatar fans themselves:lol

shintoki said:
Better not be referring to Juno as one of the three. There is opinion then there is supporting crimes against humanity.

Also I thought you were referring to the actual avatar fans themselves:lol

I never said Juno was good. But a) it is critically acclaimed and b) it made 225$ million in BO profit. To suggest that Reitman hasn't done anything is ignorant. Also, I think if I grew up on the set of fucking GHOSTBUSTERS I'd be a spoiled brat too.

jett

D-Member

Using a conversation with Streep as an example that people don't really how Avatar was made isn't badmouthing. JC actually said he approached her because he loves her. You have issues.

Oh sorry, I thought Reitman won Best Screenplay? Did I imagine that? No rational being, including Reitman geniunely thought he had a chance at Best Pic.

What? Up In The Air was/is the frontrunner along with Avatar to win Best Picture.

If Hurt Locker wins the Oscar, will Cameron still get a pass for being a douchebag?

What the fuck are you even talking about?

Those movies are nothing but a fart in the wind in the filmmaking industry.

Tamanon

Banned
Goddamn Avatar fans can be some bitter folks. It's like there's only allowed to be one good movie in the world.

Reitman was on the BS Report and had nothing bad to say about Avatar and said he wasn't mad or upset at all after the win, especially considering everyone and their momma knew Avatar was going to win it wasn't like he was shocked, but by all means continue to judge a man based on a screen cap of a facial expression at an awards show where everyone was drunk.

Anyway, im amazed that Avatar is going to take down Titanic both WW and domestic. Never saw this coming.

Also Book of Eli with a somewhat solid weekend. Should finish right around its budget which should hopefully make it a success after DVD/BluRay and TV rights get factored in. Good for both Whitta and the Hughes Bros. Always been a fan of theirs.

We're discussing one director badmouthing the other's film. Try and stay on topic.

Based on his reaction, you and I both know he would have traded that screenplay award for the meat and potatoes Direction and Picture nods. You can't dispute that. Reitman was hot when he lost.

Bigelow is his ex and he would be cordial.

Do you REALLY want to bring up comparing the director's last two movies to this conversation?

I think Cameron does OK here too...like I said, Reitman hasn't done shit...yet.

He makes Oscars bait.

koam

Sriffat said:
Looks like the only movie which can take down the two towers by James Cameron is a 9/11 movie by James Cameron

Not really considering that in 3-4 weeks, it won't even be close between avatar and titanic.

At this rate Avatar could hit $2.5b world wide, a long shot but there's a chance.

PhoenixDark was only off by 10x.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
After passing Titanic, Avatar's next goal will be climbing up the list of highest grossing movies adjusted by inflation and the pure ticket sales list (do we even have such a thing?).

How much longer is Avatar's IMAX run, anyway?

koam said:
Up in the air was mediocre, juno was good, thank you for smoking was awesome.

I didn't like Juno, not because of the direction, but because of Diablo Cody's lame dialogue that tried so hard to be hip.

duckroll

grandjedi6 said:
After passing Titanic, Avatar's next goal will be climbing up the list of highest grossing movies adjusted by inflation and the pure ticket sales list (do we even have such a thing?).

It's not going to get very far on the inflation chart. It'll be unlikely to even break into the top10.

Sriffat

Banned
grandjedi6 said:

How much longer is Avatar's IMAX run, anyway?

Until Alice in Wonderland

Tamanon said:
The Rock is consistent money with family movies. Especially with DVD sales.

I'd agree with that.

The pitch for The Tooth Fairy sounds like an SNL skit.

Not sure how that premise for a film gets greenlit.

Johnny Utah said:
But hey at least he wrote a script right.

You know what I find amusing is, even when Cameron mentioned in an interview that he pitched it to Fox as "Pocahontas meets Ferngully in space" there are still the "cool guys" who think they have unmasked the Wizard behind the curtain.

Amazing.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
grandjedi6 said:

Only domestic that I can see.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Code:
1   Gone with the Wind - $1,485,028,000
2   Star Wars - $1,309,179,000
3   The Sound of Music - $1,046,753,000
4   E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - $1,042,629,400
5   The Ten Commandments - $962,850,000
6   Titanic - $943,342,300
[..]
26  Avatar - $559,512,300

Sriffat

Banned
D4Danger said:
Only domestic that I can see.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Code:
1   Gone with the Wind - $1,485,028,000
2   Star Wars - $1,309,179,000
3   The Sound of Music - $1,046,753,000
4   E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - $1,042,629,400
5   The Ten Commandments - $962,850,000
6   Titanic - $943,342,300
[..]
26  Avatar - $559,512,300

The adjusted list is a big fraud. Look. a movie like the STING released in 1973 where inflation was screwed up made 156 domestically which is 655 million adjusted. That is absurd.

Mrbob

I saw Up in the Air yesterday, it was pretty good.

And wow at Avatar. I loved the movie, but to be honest, I don't really understand why its grossing so much. At this point it has to be the 3d effect than the actual movie. The 3d effect is pretty spectacular.

aznpxdd

Damn...I never thought anything could top Titanic. I don't even know how the fuck Avatar did it, with so little time too.

I loved the movie, but the 3D didn't really exactly me impress me. Cameron integrated the 3D effects into the movie very well for sure, but it wasn't anything mind blowing like some people are describing.

ryutaro's mama said:
You know what I find amusing is, even when Cameron mentioned in an interview that he pitched it to Fox as "Pocahontas meets Ferngully in space" there are still the "cool guys" who think they have unmasked the Wizard behind the curtain.

Amazing.

Not it's just the guys that tell you how unoriginal, predictable and creatively bankrupt Avatar's story is, yet Avatards continue going along saying it's the best movie they've seen in i don't know how long, and that it's an amazing story that Cameron has put into the film.

I really liked Avatar by the way, it's just that i still remember those days when a great film had to had a great and unexpected story behind it, as it put you grabbed on to your seat not knowing what would happen next.

Kudos for James Cameron to have found a tried story that he knew would be accepted by the most amount of people in the world though, it's very smart, because the story appeals to all genders and ages.

But when even the kids are going on about shit that is only going to happen 20 mins down the road, it's not because the kids are scientists, the script is just that simple and stereotypical.

But i enjoyed it, i had a fun time. Don't see the appeal of going back 4 times, like gaffers do, i mean, really you keep getting new stuff from the complex story? Or you're just going because you want to see those special effects again.

GhaleonEB

Sriffat said:
The adjusted list is a big fraud. Look. a movie like the STING released in 1973 where inflation was screwed up made 156 domestically which is 655 million adjusted. That is absurd.
If they were adjusting for inflation, that list would be fine. But it's ticket price inflation, which is stupid.

Johnny Utah said:
Not it's just the guys that tell you how unoriginal, predictable and creatively bankrupt Avatar's story is, yet Avatards continue going along saying it's the best movie they've seen in i don't know how long, and that it's an amazing story that Cameron has put into the film.

I really liked Avatar by the way, it's just that i still remember those days when a great film had to had a great and unexpected story behind it, as it put you grabbed on to your seat not knowing what would happen next.

Kudos for James Cameron to have found a tried story that he knew would be accepted by the most amount of people in the world though, it's very smart, because the story appeals to all genders and ages.

But when even the kids are going on about shit that is only going to happen 20 mins down the road, it's not because the kids are scientists, the script is just that simple and stereotypical.

But i enjoyed it, i had a fun time. Don't see the appeal of going back 4 times, like gaffers do, i mean, really you keep getting new stuff from the complex story? Or you're just going because you want to see those special effects again.

You make some great points and I liked AVATAR.

You'll never see me defending the story but (not you) there are many that think they have "figured it all out" and others haven't.

In order for it to be the megabeast it is worldwide, it needed a familiar story at it's core. Cameron understood that and the proof is in the pudding. He now has the initial hook and buy-in of the public.

I would expect AVATAR 2 to explore new themes and the like.

Also, AVATAR isn't the best movie I've ever seen.

But I enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom