• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: "Last Call" Teaser, full trailer March 30 10AM PT / 6PM BST

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last thing I'm expecting is 60 fps

I think there is a better chance of getting a guest appearance by Master Chief than 60 fps.

Edit: Master Chief is stretching it.
I think we would see the return of dinklebot before we get 60fps
giphy.gif

I saw a reddit thread discussing the exotics reveal and whether bungie should show and tease their exotics in their instagram. I think they should leave them as a mystery, the mysteries of Destiny are the best part imo.
I agree, but I'm sure someone in the PC community will data mine it, spoil all the fun and then countless articles will be released. Don't want that.

HMD

I saw a reddit thread discussing the exotics reveal and whether bungie should show and tease their exotics in their instagram. I think they should leave them as a mystery, the mysteries of Destiny are the best part imo.

Kyoufu

two things need to happen with exotics:

1. keep them a mystery

2. allow players to obtain exotics from loot drops

The best moment in Destiny 1 was getting a Gjallarhorn from a drop. Everyone went nuts when that happened, myself included.

And bosses dropping specific exotic weapons felt great too, like Atheon's Vex Mythoclast. That was a really good feeling until they nerfed the gun into the ground.

tldr: make drops fun again, Bungie.

HMD

1. keep them a mystery

The best moment in Destiny 1 was getting a Gjallarhorn from a drop. Everyone went nuts when that happened, myself included.

And bosses dropping specific exotic weapons felt great too, like Atheon's Vex Mythoclast. That was a really good feeling until they nerfed the gun into the ground.

Yeah I seriously hope they drop the three of coins bs.

sjay1994

1. keep them a mystery

I agree.

My first exotic was icebreaker, and I was like "man this is a weird gun" and my friends also went "huh, that is pretty cool"

There was something kinda unique about having the weapon early. I can't say I earned it, because it was from an engram... but it felt really special having a weapon not many others had or even heard off.

But as I began to lapse in destiny, and they made exotics easier to obtain that feeling of having something for a while early dissapeared and now the game feels like busy work where "I need to catch up and get all this stuff in order to play the content" in the expansion.

Also I hate the fact guns can be re rolled, it makes PVP super frustrating and ultimately feels like I need to grind in order to be competitively viable

Its ultimately why I dropped the game, and since nothing seems to carry over to D2, I probably won't touch it again

Lakitu

st5fu
I hope there are more quests related to picking up exotics and legendaries, rather than hoping the RNG system works in your favour.

Yeah I seriously hope they drop the three of coins bs.
Me too.

Imo it was much better when exotics were super rare. 3oc has ruined that... I have had 5-10 of everything, and it's basically just infusion fodder. Xur has lost all relevance too.

Also I think the top 5-10 light levels should be reserved for raids (&ToO I guess, I'm not a PvP'er). There should be some incentive to do these activities... Our raid team raided all through the Taken King, but it fell apart after three WotM clears, as everyone had all loot available.

When drops were hard to get (MMO-style) people complained.

When drops were easy to get (Loot game style) people complained.

I'm sure there's a middle ground, somewhere. But It's probably impossible to find because some segment of the population will hate it and complain. I don't envy Devs on any balance team for any MP game ever. It's rough.

Two Words

I'm sure there's a middle ground, somewhere. But It's probably impossible to find because some segment of the population will hate it and complain. I don't envy Devs on any balance team for any MP game ever. It's rough.
It's simple, really. Legendaries don't hold their rndbof the bargain in Destiny. Better loot isn't achieved by simply dumping you the best gear faster. It is achieved by making better loot. And they can make loot better by giving loot more diverse stats.

I agree.

My first exotic was icebreaker, and I was like "man this is a weird gun" and my friends also went "huh, that is pretty cool"

There was something kinda unique about having the weapon early. I can't say I earned it, because it was from an engram... but it felt really special having a weapon not many others had or even heard off.

But as I began to lapse in destiny, and they made exotics easier to obtain that feeling of having something for a while early dissapeared and now the game feels like busy work where "I need to catch up and get all this stuff in order to play the content" in the expansion.

Also I hate the fact guns can be re rolled, it makes PVP super frustrating and ultimately feels like I need to grind in order to be competitively viable

Its ultimately why I dropped the game, and since nothing seems to carry over to D2, I probably won't touch it again

They dropped the re-roll of gun perks once The Taken King was released.

They need to make legendaries do really unique stuff. I know some had things like that, but not a lot(at least the last time I played it; was never super deep into). Not boring stats like +10 reload speed

Oh, and I swear to god, I had better not see a F'n dreg, shank or vandal
I know they'll all be back >_<

After 500 hours of Destiny and its first two expansions, I have to say they got the gameplay right. They didnt know what the hell they were doing in regards to rewards or loot though. I;m highly curious what will change for the new one.

KingV

I think that there is not enough variability for loot game style. Loot game style is fine... if there are like a couple hundred exotics, but there are only like <100 and some are class specific and some don't have year two versions (or didn't for a while, at least).

And the legendares suffer from basically the same problem. They need a system that's more like rare items in diablo where there are many thousands of possible weapons that drop often, though not every one of them is actually very good.

I think that's the only real solution. The stingy drop system was awful, but when they added more drops, they still only had the amount of loot that was available in the stingy system.

BLCKATK

I'm cool with Three of Coins removal as long as all ultras/bosses have a chance of dropping exotics. Year 1's method of delivering exotics was not well designed. Even though it created those moments of awe when an item you had never seen dropped, or something extremely good dropped, there was also hundreds of hours of unsatisfying loot. Should be more balanced.

Kyoufu

Did they ever make Nightfalls worthwhile again? In Year 1, Nightfalls were the best piece of content for getting exotics, but when they made all the good stuff obtainable from quests in Year 2, Nightfalls became irrelevant. They also took out elemental primaries so they weren't as fun as well.

That's why I'm not a big fan of quests. The game's overall loot system suffered.

Where was this confirmed?

Well Shinobi was spot on with multiple other things about Destiny 2 so I don't see why he would be wrong on this, but you never know, maybe things have changed. But here's what he had to say

There's been talk of space flight gameplay, but that would be at a future point, like a Destiny 3 or 4. It's definitely been talked about. Turning the ship into an extension of the guardian. Right now it just serves a cosmetic purpose - they are definitely exploring ways to expand on that.

Did they ever make Nightfalls worthwhile again? In Year 1, Nightfalls were the best piece of content for getting exotics, but when they made all the good stuff obtainable from quests in Year 2, Nightfalls became irrelevant. They also took out elemental primaries so they weren't as fun as well.

That's why I'm not a big fan of quests. The game's overall loot system suffered.

I liked how Year 2 balanced quests & loot drops, but it was obvious the best exotics were hidden behind quests. The 'problem' which slowly started getting fixed was that, epics just plain sucked in year 1. For year 2, I distinctly remember using several epics by name, and trying to get several epic weapons & items to higher light levels or with better bonuses on them.

As for Nightfalls, I think the problem for me was that, outside of the extra loot roll towards one of the random exotics, which usually just became a shard for further upgrades, the epics that dropped in Nightfalls were just underwhelming compared to the epics you could get on almost every other activity in the game.

Blam

Well Shinobi was spot on with multiple other things about Destiny 2 so I don't see why he would be wrong on this, but you never know, maybe things have changed. But here's what he had to say

I can only hope that they actually do it and let us use them because just flying to the location for my quests would make me happy.

BLCKATK

There is scoring for Nightfalls now, with bounties associated with getting high scores or decent times. They give legendary gear.

One of the bounties has a chance of dropping the Ice Breaker. Only place you can get it.

Nightfall buff just came back. Elemental primaries are back in.

JonCha

I'm really hyped for this. I had some fantastic experiences playing with groups and the gunplay is so good that I hope they can build on the loot and quest mechanics to built a game that is just bigger in every way.

This is probably an unpopular opinion. By i actually think Destiny was at its best in year 1

- I loved that exotics were rare, it really felt like a huge win when you finally got an exotic (even though i was pissed it took me 2 months of grinding to get my first yellow)
- There was less economies. They started losing me when they started adding more and more economies, finally with the whole weapon infusion i just thought it was all too confusing
- I loved frantically checking every weekend what xur was selling, i would often logon just to buy something before he disappears. Also running around the tower trying to find him was great
- I loved nightfall, especially how it gave you xp awards and the blue helmet. You felt like a badass if you were the only one in the tower walking around

I feel the later expansions/years lost alot of that magic

This is probably an unpopular opinion. By i actually think Destiny was at its best in year 1

- I loved that exotics were rare, it really felt like a huge win when you finally got an exotic (even though i was pissed it took me 2 months of grinding to get my first yellow)
- There was less economies. They started losing me when they started adding more and more economies, finally with the whole weapon infusion i just thought it was all too confusing
- I loved frantically checking every weekend what xur was selling, i would often logon just to buy something before he disappears. Also running around the tower trying to find him was great
- I loved nightfall, especially how it gave you xp awards and the blue helmet. You felt like a badass if you were the only one in the tower walking around

I actually totally agree with you on a lot of this. They made a ton of QoL improvements for Destiny over the course of the expansions but I do agree I think they lost a bit of the excitement of exotics / Xur when it became significantly easier to acquire them.

I also WAAAAAY agree when it comes to the economies. There just became so many different things to juggle

Kyoufu

I liked how Year 2 balanced quests & loot drops, but it was obvious the best exotics were hidden behind quests. The 'problem' which slowly started getting fixed was that, epics just plain sucked in year 1. For year 2, I distinctly remember using several epics by name, and trying to get several epic weapons & items to higher light levels or with better bonuses on them.

As for Nightfalls, I think the problem for me was that, outside of the extra loot roll towards one of the random exotics, which usually just became a shard for further upgrades, the epics that dropped in Nightfalls were just underwhelming compared to the epics you could get on almost every other activity in the game.

You didn't have Fatebringer/Vision of Confluence/Final Verdict/Black Hammer in Year 1? For me the problem with Year 2 loot was that the purples weren't compelling. It felt really disappointing to go from Vault of Glass and Crota's End's extremely powerful loot drops to King's Fall's extremely weak and lackluster drops. Worst of all you could do bosses in KF and get absolutely nothing.

Kyoufu

I've been saying this for over a year. The game was in a great spot when House of Wolves launched.

Heck, when Xur sold Gjallarhorn again everyone went nuts and all the news sites reported it. It was a huge event. Nothing since has had the same effect.

Edit: double post.

BLCKATK

I understand why people think this stuff is cool but it really would have gotten old after years of this formula.

Infusion kept gear relevant after its 'due' date, so I don't see how that's a loss. Plus back then we had some serious currency grind, more than before. Planetary materials were a straight grind, we had to get Vanguard Marks, Crucible Marks.. reputation was more of a hassle to receive.. Commendations.. Year 1 Exotic Shards.. we had plenty of cumbersome items in the Year 1 Economy. But Bungie was figuring stuff out, so it's okay.

Also Xur was sweet for a few weekends but I really got tired of obtaining my exotics by purchasing them off an NPC. My "luck" for lack of a better word was lackluster so I did not receive many exotics through the raids, and Xur becoming my primary method of acquiring exotics became very dull. Three of Coins was a huge breath of fresh air for that, but at this point, Exotic Engrams, and Exotics in general, should just be on the loot table for bosses. The surprise still gets to be there when they drop.

All in all, Destiny endgame always felt "good" and fresh for those who spent a lot of time playing, that's why tons of people are still around. But if the systems never changed the player retention would have dropped off hard.

It was cool to see this during the commercial break of the Warriors vs Spurs game. I'm so hyped!

I just hope they make this one rain rewards. Pretty please make it rain!

I understand why people think this stuff is cool but it really would have gotten old after years of this formula.

Infusion kept gear relevant after its 'due' date, so I don't see how that's a loss. Plus back then we had some serious currency grind, more than before. Planetary materials were a straight grind, we had to get Vanguard Marks, Crucible Marks.. reputation was more of a hassle to receive.. Commendations.. Year 1 Exotic Shards.. we had plenty of cumbersome items in the Year 1 Economy. But Bungie was figuring stuff out, so it's okay.

Also Xur was sweet for a few weekends but I really got tired of obtaining my exotics by purchasing them off an NPC. My "luck" for lack of a better word was lackluster so I did not receive many exotics through the raids, and Xur becoming my primary method of acquiring exotics became very dull. Three of Coins was a huge breath of fresh air for that, but at this point, Exotic Engrams, and Exotics in general, should just be on the loot table for bosses. The surprise still gets to be there when they drop.

All in all, Destiny endgame always felt "good" and fresh for those who spent a lot of time playing, that's why tons of people are still around. But if the systems never changed the player retention would have dropped off hard.
I agree with most of this. I think people look back on year 1 with major rose tinted glasses.

Tho Bungie could do with adding a bank if they keep adding different currencies and items. That's the one major flaw I have so them. They stream lined some stuff, but then added like 5 more different things. I don't have room!

Midas

I feel the later expansions/years lost a lot of that magic

I agree with you. 100 percent. The issue is that this will never be back, they're making the game to fit every type of player, except for us that liked a bit of grind. I understand that, I do. But it makes me a bit sad that I'll never experience the joy of getting Gjallarhorn or Hawkmoon again.

Edit: There were lots of issues with vanilla Destiny, but the loot system wasn't an issue for me. Forever 29 was totally fine for me.

Kyoufu

I don't know about rose-tinted glasses. Year 1 had the best raid (VoG) with high quality loot drops that you were guaranteed to use instead of infusion fodder for your Hung Jury that you got from an NPC.

I don't know about rose-tinted glasses. Year 1 had the best raid (VoG) with high quality loot drops that you were guaranteed to use instead of infusion fodder for your Hung Jury that you got from an NPC.
That what caused Bungie to get rid of them. Everyone only used fatebringer etc, because of their elemental abilites. That's why they're exotics now.

Also I'm confused the newest raid has awesome weapons that hell I used the AR/SR straight through the Challenge mode Crota raid. Plenty of decent weapons. I would say KF was probably the worst in terms of weapons. The HM was baller tho.

Kyoufu

That what caused Bungie to get rid of them. Everyone only used fatebringer etc. that's why they're exotics now.

I mean, what exactly is wrong with players using endgame loot? If i do a raid, i expect to get something powerful befitting of the content. I understand the desire for diverse loadouts, but Infusion fodder wasn't the remedy.

I'm only comparing Year 1 with Year 2 btw. They probably fixed all this in Rise of Iron, but i feel that i enjoyed Year 1 a lot more than Year 2, which a lot of players will probably disagree with.

HMD

Yeah, the start of year 2 marked the death of the satisfying crunch guns used to have, most guns are really weak and unreliable now, and I hope they fix that with D2 but I doubt they well.

rataven

I feel the later expansions/years lost a lot of that magic

Just wanted to say I'm so very much in agreement with everything you've said here! Year 1 had issues, no doubt, but it still found a way to make every player feel special for their accomplishments. Or dam lucky for their loot drops. :D My very first exotic was the Gally, earned at level 24 in a Crucible match where I came in dead last for my team. And I had absolutely no idea what I had just earned. I remember thinking it looked nice but that was about it my only reaction to it haha.

Midas

I mean, what exactly is wrong with players using endgame loot? If i do a raid, i expect to get something powerful befitting of the content. I understand the desire for diverse loadouts, but Infusion fodder wasn't the remedy.

Yeah, I never understood that argument. "We're removing X because player won't use Y if we don't do it". Well, make Y more interesting?

I'm not saying it's bad. That what Bungie was saying. You can still use any end game loot to your hearts desire. They just took away the elemental ability for primary weapons.

Personally pretty salty about the updated raids making the weapons exotics.

All in all I like how it is now. You can make any type of loadout you desire. There's plenty of weapons to make you feel like a badass. Year 1 you were stuck to one or two things. Year 2 and beyond opened the floodgates.

BLCKATK

Vault of Glass absolutely has competition now. For some of us it will always be the best because it was our first and for a lot of players it was their first introduction to a co-operative experience like that, but the designers have gotten quite good.

Kings Fall has it's merits, although it is very rigid, but they nailed Wrath of the Machine. Fast, frantic, requires coordination, and dropped great loot. Excellent looking armor pieces with fantastic and relevant perks, and weapons that felt Legendary, but strong in their own right.

Year 1 Destiny was about creating that one perfect loadout, the full VoG gear, Fatebringer, Black Hammer, and Gjallarhorn. Year 2 and beyond, especially right now, you can optimize further if you want, and that's been a really enjoyable experience for me.

Two Words

This reads like somebody saying that they like starving himself because it makes food taste better. Just demand better food.

GlamFM

Banned

Year 1 Destiny was best Destiny. No contest.

You know I hated destiny when it first came out, I wanted more out of the world and story and gameplay it was super repetitive. And yet i bought the expansion and liked it, but my original complaints were still there and it was far too grindy. Then I bought the second expansion and thought it was meh..... and now I realise i actually kinda love something about destiny. Maybe the 2 helps me feel nostalgic but I picked it back up and now that I can enjoy it for what it is rather then what it isn't I realise i always liked it.

I hope destiny 2 is cool, and fixes my problems. I wanna believe! Also I hope it changes the quest system I hate whats currently in place.

Just wanted to say I'm so very much in agreement with everything you've said here! Year 1 had issues, no doubt, but it still found a way to make every player feel special for their accomplishments. Or dam lucky for their loot drops. :D My very first exotic was the Gally, earned at level 24 in a Crucible match where I came in dead last for my team. And I had absolutely no idea what I had just earned. I remember thinking it looked nice but that was about it my only reaction to it haha.

High Five.

It took me 2 months of nightfalls/strikes/constant moon runs e.t.c just to win my first exotic gun. Damn rahool turning shit to blues was almost controller throwing worthy but thankfully i held my nerve.

Whilst i was pissed that my friend playing in the same strike wins a yellow early i was determined to "best" him

Unfortunetely for me he put TONS more hours into it, but i still tried my best. I would even grind weekends just to get enough coins to try and save for xur.

The grind was a pain no doubt, but once i finally won it, it was amazing. Sure i could use a bit less grind no doubt, but keep the nightfall rewards, keep xur and make him meaningful again

I also think year 1 was the only time public events were a community thing. People used to run in and help, it encouraged you to explore maps for the chest / look boxes.

All of that is kind of lost now.

Lol public events aren't just year 1 thing. Was just doing some last night. Had 6 people taking on a tank in the plague lands. Shot over to Mars and took on the taken champion with another group.

Kyoufu

Yeah, I never understood that argument. "We're removing X because player won't use Y if we don't do it". Well, make Y more interesting?

Yeah, hopefully Destiny 2's improved content creation tools will mean more loot, more often. That way they won't feel like they need to resort to taking away good things and instead they can just add MORE good things.

I'm not saying it's bad. That what Bungie was saying. You can still use any end game loot to your hearts desire. They just took away the elemental ability for primary weapons.

Personally pretty salty about the updated raids making the weapons exotics.

All in all I like how it is now. You can make any type of loadout you desire. There's plenty of weapons to make you feel like a badass. Year 1 you were stuck to one or two things. Year 2 and beyond opened the floodgates.

The non-elemental versions are legendaries right? Better than nothing, i guess.

I still feel every exotic should have an unique way of getting it. Having them be random drops just makes it too luck-reliant and makes ypu see people go without a Gjallarhorn for 9 months while others got it the second day.

These quests just need to be more than running a mission you've already run before in a certain way. They managed to get it right with Black Spindle and No Time To Explain, even if their time-gated aspects weren't ideal either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom