• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We'll find out what happened to Tidus between Final Fantasy X and X-2

Wamb0wneD

His head explodes in the audio drama.

Yuna breaks up with him stranded on an island from a storm, he get's frustrated and kicks what he thinks is a blitzball.

Turns out to be a bomb that launch his head right in front of Yuna.

Not like this....I never liked Tidus that much but he sure as hell didn't deserve that. Who the hell wrote that abomination of a storyline?

Edzi

Square keeps trying to extend the story of X, but the ending to X only works when there's finality to it. They need to stop.

RRockman

Banned
giphy.gif

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Whoa that was Tabata?! Back when I was younger all I registered in my mind was that Square Enix=Nomura. It's crazy to think that I've read Tabata's name before but completely forgot about it the next day.

It's a shame though. I really wanted more Cissnei. I also wanted that remake since I wanted to play Before Crisis. Guess Cissnei will remain in the prequels and side games...

Yup. Tabata was the director of both Before Crisis and Crisis Core after all. Before Crisis was his directorial debut and he wanted to have a second go at it. Hard to believe that was 7 years ago he said that.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'd rather find out what happened to SE between FF XII and FF XIII. How they could go from one of the best games in the series to a complete trainwreck.

Yup. Tabata was the director of both Before Crisis and Crisis Core after all. Before Crisis was his directorial debut and he wanted to have a second go at it. Hard to believe that was 7 years ago he said that.
I knew that he directed Crisis Core but I'm surprised he did Before Crisis as well. Guess I'll never know what that one is like.

It's absolutely bonkers to me that its been 7 years.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Yuna breaks up with him stranded on an island from a storm, he get's frustrated and kicks what he thinks is a blitzball.

Not like this....I never liked Tidus that much but he sure as hell didn't deserve that. Who the hell wrote that abomination of a storyline?
Preeettty sure it was Nojima himself. The guy who wrote FFX.
The writer of FFX.
Tidus was one of the most obnoxious protagonists ever so imho.....
26924a.gif

I got you

latmOCu.gif

c5f.gif

Oh God, it's real.

684.gif

If it's anything like the FF13 event, I wouldn't expect anything good.

Lightning finds her way to Palamecia. She doesn't think she's Lightning, but the MC and Echo tell her she is. Enter 2 full maps (or about 2 hours of content) of conversations about how awesome Lightning is and why Lightning is strong. At the end she realizes she is Lightning, gets super powerful because she remembers that she is Lightning. The MC duels Lightning, remarks how strong Lightning is and how she was holding back.

Then you climb a tower full of fake Lightnings

l3sJmeG.gif

If it's anything like the FF13 event, I wouldn't expect anything good.

Lightning finds her way to Palamecia. She doesn't think she's Lightning, but the MC and Echo tell her she is. Enter 2 full maps (or about 2 hours of content) of conversations about how awesome Lightning is and why Lightning is strong. At the end she realizes she is Lightning, gets super powerful because she remembers that she is Lightning. The MC duels Lightning, remarks how strong Lightning is and how she was holding back.

Then you climb a tower full of fake Lightnings
.....what?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Eden say it isn't so! Not you!

Haha to be honest Tidus isn't that special to me but I certainly didn't want him to go through THAT.
It's just so comical that the first voiced protagonist in a FF game had his head blown off. That's just so funny.

Pooya

I still believe in X-3, Toriyama will return. He must not be forgotten.

this game is junk though, don't play it.

Mediking

Lmao yikes

Wait what?
His existence was a dream. The only thing he should be doing between x and x2 is literally not exist until they dream him again at the end x2

Yup, this was my understanding of it.

This reminds me of the book series Dune, where the author's son decided to expand on everything from the original series Prequel Trilogy before the first book (not great), ANOTHER Prequel trilogy set thousands of years before the first book (liked it when I was young, at least it takes place far enough away that it can do its own thing), two sequel books (which were terrible), and (worst of all IMO) were ridiculously unnecessary Interquel books that took place BETWEEN each of the main series books.

Wamb0wneD

Tidus was one of the most obnoxious protagonists ever so imho.....
26924a.gif
Oh I agree with you, but not even the most obnoxious FF protag should have a fate like that. nobody does.

I knew that he directed CC but I'm surprised he did Before Crisis as well. Guess I'll never know what that one is like.

It's absolutely bonkers to me that its been 7 years.

I always thought CC stood for Crystal Chronicles.
:(

SilverArrow20XX

Haha. Lot of misconceptions about FFX-2.5.

First of all all that crazy stuff like the NTR and head exploding stuff was only in the novel. It is NOT in the audio drama.

Second. There is no necrophilia. Tidus "dies" and Yuna beckons him back. A major plot point is that a new kind of unsent are appearing everywhere. Physical manifestations of people's memories, kind of like an evolved form of the Farplane apparitions. After beckoning Tidus back, Yuna grows distant from him because of feelings that he's not the real Tidus anymore. Shuyin was a similar entity. A being brought into existence by the lingering memories and feelings of and for the original Shuyin, rather than a true unsent like all the ones we see in FFX.

Third, the NTR stuff is just backstory. The more intimate people are, the easier it is for them to be compatible as Summoner and Final Aeon. The Summoner in the backstory essentially
broke up with her boyfriend/guardian and became the guardian of another Summoner (and sleeps with him to force a connection) to spare her boyfriend from having to sacrifice his life. She would instead sacrifice her life for this other Summoner. Of course the boyfriend ends up getting killed anyway.

There is no NTR with Tidus and Yuna. Yuna just lies about meeting someone else to get Tidus to go away.

Third, the NTR stuff is just backstory. The more intimate people are, the easier it is for them to be compatible as Summoner and Final Aeon. The Summoner in the backstory essentially
broke up with her boyfriend/guardian and became the guardian of another Summoner (and sleeps with him to force a connection) to spare her boyfriend from having to sacrifice his life. She would instead sacrifice her life for this other Summoner. Of course the boyfriend ends up getting killed anyway.
That was the stupidest thing ever when I read it. Granted I read a badly translated version of it but I detest NTR so I had no love for this.

I apologize if I confused people when I mentioned NTR! Thankfully that doesn't happen to Tidus and Yuna.

Fanfiction and doujinshi doesn't count ya sickos.

DanielJr82

I will not recognize it. Just like I don't recognize FFX-2.

In the realm of JRPGs Tidus is absolutely tame. You should see the kind of irritating dipshits that can end up as the protagonist in Tales games.
100% agree with this statement.

mortal

Gold Member
They just can't seem to leave well enough alone, huh?

Some stories are better left with a bit of mystery. You don't have to spell out every bit of lore for your audience, Square Enix.

I wonder if can reach XIII-13!
She doesn't mean in battle prowess, most likely regarding her identity and doubt.
Okay that makes more sense. I was confused for a bit. Still, that's a lot of Lightning at once! I'm sure it was a good event though.

Claire gets all the cool opportunities.

I won't accept anything besides FFX and maybe the good end of FFX-2 as canon.

That audio drama was the worst waste of my time in my life.

SilverArrow20XX

Isn't that one actually sort of canon? Shantotto in FFXI mentions the event from FFXIV and XIV establishes that there is other worlds.

Yeah. Most crossovers like that are canon. They just crossed the Rift from other worlds like Gilgamesh does. Shantotto and Iroha flat out say they are from other worlds and traveled through interdimensional portals. As far as I'm concerned, Iroha now canonically lives in Eorzea after escaping to there after the events of Rhapsodies since her timeline was screwed.

Most crossovers have explanations that let them be canon. Sometimes it's not the actual character, but a copy created by X McGuffin. Or "It's another dimension that is outside of time and also erases your memories after you leave, so it can totally be the real characters (or their souls inhabiting dolls or whatever) while still having zero affect on their worlds since they're never actually gone and have no memory of it." Dissidia and I think Mobius do this one.

The only really questionable one I can think of is Cloud in Tactics. He might just be an Ivalicean guy who happens to have amnesia and resemble Cloud. Just like a lot of character references in XIV.

Top Bottom