• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios rebranded to 'MS Studios Global Publishing' ?

Ratros

It reminds me of "Microsoft Office Outlook Windows Live Hotmail Connector 32-bit".

Microsoft does need to hire PMs with better naming skills; don't repeat the Windows Phone naming fiasco again.

borges

Banned
I know theyre a mega corporation but I feel sorry for MS at this point, they dont have a clue. I can just imagine Phil Spencer putting out fires everywhere...for every problem he fixes, someone else makes a stupid logo, or antagonises a developer. I have a funny feeling they are in for a bad E3.

Oh and "global publishing"...no gamer gives a shit about publishing, or globalness, we just want the games. It's a Microsoft Game? Call it Microsoft Studios then. Or MSA Microsoft Studios America, or Microsoft Worldwide Studios. We dont need the word publishing..we get it, you publish them. It's as moronic as MGIB Microsoft Games In Boxes.

LOL, your brain is very creative... connecting a bad logo to...a bad E3, thats unexpected.

I know theyre a mega corporation but I feel sorry for MS at this point, they dont have a clue. I can just imagine Phil Spencer putting out fires everywhere...for every problem he fixes, someone else makes a stupid logo, or antagonises a developer. I have a funny feeling they are in for a bad E3.

Oh and "global publishing"...no gamer gives a shit about publishing, or globalness, we just want the games. It's a Microsoft Game? Call it Microsoft Studios then. Or MSA Microsoft Studios America, or Microsoft Worldwide Studios. We dont need the word publishing..we get it, you publish them. It's as moronic as MGIB Microsoft Games In Boxes.

Your name ideas aren't really any better than Global Publishing tbh. Let's see your logos for them though.

angelic

Banned
But he feels sorry for MS. One of the biggest companies in the world...

LOL

I mean WTF?!?

I do feel sorry for them, in the same way as when you see suits trying to be creative and failing. Apart from Phil Spencer, who is great, the culture of Microsoft is like middle aged white people trying to talk like rappers. Or tl;dr, MS is as square as it's possible to be, in all areas. And in a topic about their new logo, I have to say as unimportant it is in the scheme of things, as a logo it sucks.

gamz

I do feel sorry for them, in the same way as when you see suits trying to be creative and failing. Apart from Phil Spencer, who is great, the culture of Microsoft is like middle aged white people trying to talk like rappers. [Or tl;dr, MS is as square as it's possible to be, in all areas. And in a topic about their new logo, I have to say as unimportant it is in the scheme of things, as a logo it sucks.

Then you haven't been following them the past 3-4 years or since Satya took over. I mean Panos is every bit as good as Spencer, but on the hardware side of things. Again, you seem to be stuck on the MS of old or haven't been paying attention.

I have to ask: What tech company do you not feel sorry for?

Ugly ass logo.
Wonder why they are rebranding MS Studios to global publishing.
It seems like Microsoft published games are being rebranded as Microsoft Studios Global Publishing and not Microsoft Studios.
dead-rising-3-box-art.jpg

Xumbrega

Banned
Why are you guys discussing over a logo ffs.

I'm more interested to see whar they are cooking up, they clearly are making changes on their studios right now, looking forward to the e3.

Ushay

Not really, this is basically a rebranding exercise to distinctly separate out two parts of MS Studios.

Microsoft Studios = first party studios (343, Coalition, T10, Rare)
MS Global Publishing = first-party games by external studios ( ReCore, etc)

This is basically "second party", basically making a clear distinction what games are made by internal studios and what games aren't.

What, however, annoys me off about the above arrangement is that games under the Halo/Forza/Gears banner like Horizon and Halo Wars are clearly part of their 'franchise studio' banner instead of part of MS Global Publishing.

Thanks for this, finally someone clarified it instead of moaning about the damn logo.

Best case scenario: they are expanding their game publishing business to get published games that usually don't come to xbox.

Most likely: means nothing

Gestault

I really hope they aren't gluing a bad logo to the existing good logo. All that comes to mind is this is some specific use-case.

Edit: Oh wait, I'm not seeing this live on the site?

angelic

Banned
Then you haven't been following them the past 3-4 years or since Satya took over. I mean Panos is every bit as good as Spencer, but on the hardware side of things. Again, you seem to be stuck on the MS of old or haven't been paying attention.

I have to ask: What tech company do you not feel sorry for?

maybe it translates badly, I say "I feel sorry for", I mean like "i cringe when they do dumb things".

the big 3 are all capable of deep stupidity, but MS are definitely have the least going for them right now, and lame rebrandings dont help.

Wozman23

The logo is actually pretty brilliant if you understand its symbolism. There are eight spokes that lead out to eight planets, much like our solar system. The interesting point in Microsoft's case is that each planet represents half of a franchise: Halo, Gears, Forza, and Crackdown. Originally there was a ninth, Pluto-like spoke, but they removed it when they cancelled Scalebound.

Hopefully they half-assed this because they are busy working on bringing their planet-to-game ratio closer to 1:1.

gamz

The logo is actually pretty brilliant if you understand its symbolism. There are eight spokes that lead out to eight planets, much like our solar system. The interesting point in Microsoft's case is that each planet represents half of a franchise: Halo, Gears, Forza, and Crackdown. Originally there was a ninth, Pluto-like spoke, but they removed it when they cancelled Scalebound.

Hopefully they half-assed this because they are busy working on bringing their planet-to-game ratio closer to 1:1.

Okay, that was funny as hell, and kudos for being creative. LOL

blakep267

Best case scenario: they are expanding their game publishing business to get published games that usually don't come to xbox.

Most likely: means nothing
That's what I was thinking. They publishing Chinese and Japanese games that weren't going to be on Xbox before hand

That's what I was thinking. They publishing Chinese and Japanese games that weren't going to be on Xbox before hand
They already sort of do this. They set up a joint venture with BesTV in China called E-Home Entertainment which has published Chinese indie games on Xbox One in China and also worked to bring them to the West.

https://news.microsoft.com/2014/04/30/bestv-and-microsoft-to-bring-xbox-one-to-china-in-september/

Candleman, Monkey King Saga, Mr Pumpkin Adventure are some notable releases

https://www.trueachievements.com/gameslist.aspx?publisher=E-Home+Entertainment

Lemondish

tenor.gif

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
This is an internal division. Why is the logo important?

Design Lab is really neat tho.

Yeah, the actual service is amazing, and I'm happy it seems to be working out for them. Makes me wonder if they'll do customisable consoles, though I suspect that will end in failure (Motorola abandoned the Moto Maker twice).

What's wrong with Xbox Design Lab? Lol

It's just a bit of an uninspired name, that's all. Like I mentioned in my post, it doesn't have the same ring to it as something like the Moto Maker.

Shiggy

Actually, it's not - super apologize for the confusion. Global Publishing is an internal division, and we did not intend to roll that out

How the hell do you put that logo and name on all your social media sites and even your real website when you didn't intend to do that? And then also only games related to this division and not GoW, Halo, or Rare's games? How did that happen?

Top Bottom