• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Films you were not emotionally prepared for/traumatized by as a kid

Unit 33

. Watership Down
. Artax
drowning
in The Never Ending Story
. A lot of Harryhausen's creatures were pretty terrifying to my child brain.

TheYanger

Return to Oz.

Expected: Dorothy and pals singing and skipping together on a brand new adventure.

Reality: Fucked up evil queen with a room full of detached heads screaming at Dorothy. Half-men/half-machine wheelers chasing people down.
Fucking this. The wheelers are nightmare fuel

Jmille99

Same movie, but...
1459198269-anigif-enhanced-14636-1427243290-12.gif

I didn't even want to post the other gifs with Artax sunk in further, since the horse looks legit petrified and I'm pretty sure I'm still traumatized from it. :/

Came to post this.

orava

The Fly II. Loved the first one back then. The sequel had the dog situation that broke me. Also, it sucked. I was probably twelve or something and still haven't seen it again.

This is kind of a weird one, but I was severely messed up by Mars Attacks.

There is a scene in that movie where a man reaches his fingers inside a woman's mouth. She then bite off his finger and it is flung into a fish tank. The scene is played for laughs, but the unexpected terror that overcame me put me in a fit of screams. It is the only episode of such an emotional event from my entire youth.

I just couldn't stop screaming. The pain of having a finger severed, the grotesqueness of it flying into a fish tank, and the image of unassuming goldfish popping their mouths on the bloody flesh, gave me a horrific sensory overload. I couldn't stop seeing the image in my head or feeling the pain in my finger. I couldn't stop envisioning it or thinking about it. It just played on a loop in my head, and before my eyes when I closed them, and I couldn't get it to stop.

I just kept whaling and screaming and clutching my hands into fists. And because I didn't know what the movie was and that was the only scene I saw, I couldn't even reference or articulate the image to adults. They all thought I was losing my mind (which I was).

I don't remember calming down and it doesn't bother me anymore. But at the time, for reasons I really don't know, I was fucked right up and mortified into a state of screeching shock.

Watched Congo way too young when i was way too impressionable. I know since it's a very dumb and silly movie but the gore (gouged out eyeballs etc) and the gorillas scared the shit out of me. iirc i had nightmares about gorillas for months after :p

I guess theres a reason for age limits on movies after all even on silly dumb movies like Congo.

Jurassic Park and the raptors were pretty scary too as a 7-8 yr old.

RangerX

Banned
The exorcist when I was around eight or nine. Still think it's a great film though.

Edit: definitely return to oz too.

NekoFever

The Witches

This movie traumatized me as a kid!
giphy.gif

anigif_enhanced-995-1413317151-1.gif

giphy.gif

We watched this in school when I was about 6, and I had to sit in the corridor while the rest of the class finished it because I was too scared.

And the film is a lot less fucked up than the book!

I was quite desensitised because I talked my dad into letting me watch a lot of inappropriate stuff (I'd seen Robocop, Alien, Nightmare on Elm Street, Predator, Terminator, etc before I was 10) but occasionally something less intense would fuck me up, and The Witches was one of them.

Yep, Artax in the quicksand, Return to Oz's Wheelers and pretty much all of Jaws terrified me when I was a kid.
I loved Predator when I was a kid (because it complemented my love of GI Joe toys so well), but I would dread that Dillon "arm" scene. The thought of a guy with such perfect arms losing one of them in the blink of an eye, used to upset me. lol

giphy.gif

jph139

I love the gap in experiences here.

"This Disney movie was WAY too much for me, couldn't sleep for weeks."

"My dad used to watch snuff films with me, ha ha, what a rascal."

But for me I saw a glimpse of the original War of the Worlds when I was young... somewhere in the 6-8 range? A shadow creeping down a stairwell while the protagonists huddle in terror. That locked in my brain for whatever reason.

As a kid in the 80's, Nightmare on Elm street. Particularly the scene where Jonny D gets sucked into the bed. Pretty sure I pissed the bed because of that. Fucked me up for a while.

Then it was The Hulk TV show. Only when he changed.

But what REALLY fucked me up was the extended Thriller music video. Obviously the beginning where he changes into a wolf. That fucked me up for a long time. And because of that, I couldn't watch American warewolf in London for years.

More recently, Blair Witch Project fucked with me for a while. Our bathroom was downstairs so everytime I went down in the middle on the night, I half expected to see someone stood in the corner of the room when I switched the light on.

I begged my mum to let me rent an Incredible Hulk vhs once when I was little, and wouldn't take no for an answer. I was a massive fan of the comics, but this was the live action Tony Ferrigno version. Eventually she gave in and rented it for me. I think I saw the first Banner/Hulk transformation before running upstairs to hide, refusing to come back down until she'd proved that it was gone.

Fortunately I never saw anything that really terrified me, but my little bro and his friends watched Child's Play when they were pretty young and it traumatised a few of them, with one even needing counselling.

dinoroar

Banned
Forget being a kid, I watched "The Stories We Tell" and I was THOROUGHLY unprepared at the age of 25. I bawled through the entire thing, movie is so god damn good.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Nothing, and my parents started taking me to R-rated stuff when I was three.
The nightmare scene with the Nazi werewolves in An American Werewolf In London made my younger sister throw up, though. Good thing we were at a drive-in and she made it outside of the car. She was three at the time.

TheContact

Lord of the Flies. I was 7 or 8. Watched that rock land on the fat kids head and saw the blood and him die. Then saw the kids stab what they thought was a ghost but was really their friend on the beach with spears. Fucked me up

Oneself

I was around 6/7 when I first saw The Duel. I didn't tell anyone but I was quite scared of most trucks afterwards.
For some unknown reasons though, I loved watching it (and I remember being glued to the screen each time) and it still is one of my favorite movies ever.

And yeah, The Exorcist, Pet Cemetery and Evil Dead at around 10 was also a bad idea as I think about it.

The exorcist. That movie fd me up. Especially the spider walk scene. I don't know how they did that special effect at that time but dear me. Scared the shit out of me.

Also the dream sequence father karras had is still the most scariest dream sequence I saw in a movie.

I've always had a bit of an anxiety issue so there's a few that gave me nightmares:

1) Jaws. Scared the shit out of me and gave me nightmares where I was being chased by a shark.
2) Nightmare on Elm Street 3. I had a lot of Freddy Krueger dreams after seeing that.
3) Weirdest of all, The Terminator. Which is also one of my favourites ever. Had a recurring nightmare where I was being hunted by the Terminator and it would find me even if I hid between the walls (don't ask how I managed to hide there lol).

I've always had a bit of an anxiety issue so there's a few that gave me nightmares:

1) Jaws. Scared the shit out of me and gave me nightmares where I was being chased by a shark.
2) Nightmare on Elm Street 3. I had a lot of Freddy Krueger dreams after seeing that.
3) Weirdest of all, The Terminator. Which is also one of my favourites ever. Had a recurring nightmare where I was being hunted by the Terminator and it would find me even if I hid between the walls (don't ask how I managed to hide there lol).

Terminator IS scary. It is why the film is so good, the monster is aa nasty as it should be. The brilliant music helps.

Gotta say I had a sheltered childhood compared to you guys! Thankfully: everything scared me as a kid...

The exorcist. That movie fd me up. Especially the spider walk scene. I don't know how they did that special effect at that time but dear me. Scared the shit out of me.
Same here man! What's crazy is that me and my friend were meant to watch it that night on his dad's pc but the cat pissed on the screen and ruined it. It didn't matter because the movie was on Ch 4 that night anyway. Like it was fate!

Voidguts

damn y'all noone mentioned My Girl? seeing my boy thomas j all swole up like that fucked me up when i was a kid :(

Does IT count? My dad would watch it and it scared the hell out out of me when I was really young. I remember laying in bed one night shaking in fear. Ironically, it has become one of my favorite horror films/miniseries.

that movie made me hold my dookie in for like a month. i thought pennywise & a giant spider were stacking it down in the sewers like gold bricks. so yeah, i'd say that counts.

Raptomex

Does IT count? My dad would watch it and it scared the hell out out of me when I was really young. I remember laying in bed one night shaking in fear. Ironically, it has become one of my favorite horror films/miniseries.

My parents rented the movie Antarctica in the 80s. I think they saw a movie about dogs and thought it was family friendly.

I proceeded to watch a dog snuff film and bawl my eyes out

Runner up: Benji the Hunted

llehuty

Akira when I was 6 or 7, it was so raw and disgusting and violent. Quite a trip when my movie watching habits were Disney movies.

MrS

Banned
The Wizard of Oz

Watched it at school in the dark and the witch was scary as fuck. I had a complex about it for a while which I'm now over, thankfully.

Docpan

Candy-Man. I was 8. Watched it a week after my Aunt died of blood cancer (Leukemia). I still miss her messed me up for a while. I would only look down or cover my face with a pillow when using the bathroom.

Side Note: At the funeral when the priest was conducting the lowering and the ashes to ashes dust to dust tell me why a distant cousin stepped on the platform stopped the lowering and said: God you resurrected your son, as a Christian give me the power Lord. I command you to rise, rise out of this casket. Everybody was speechless. My big bro said he would have died right then and there if the casket moved. Stuck with me to this day.

Sorry for your loss but the imagery of that scene is just too insane to not laugh. Holy shit

lunchtoast

Arachnophobia, was 4 or 5 when I watched with my parents. That fear still lingers. Also the IT mini-series. Seems so corny now. He spends most of the series just standing at a distance holding balloons and smiling.

oldboss

Red Sun w/ Alain Delon and Toshiro Mifune. I liked the samurai best:(

oh yeah, and exorcist. was 10 or 11. niiiiiiightmaaaaaares

The 1954 animated movie adaption of Orwell's Animal Farm. Saw it being 5 or 6 years old. Quite the heavy stuff for a child, thematically and with the dark and disturbing imagery. And this is rated "6 years and older" here... :/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Neverend-

oops already posted. NVM then :/

C.Mongler

I saw Child's Play when I was like 5 or 6 because my friend and I were flipping through channels and thought it was some fun kid's movie. Eventually I realized we had made a huge mistake, but we still basically ended up watching the whole movie anyway.

Top Bottom