• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPRED: "RED Engine 3 is a revolution in RPGs"

Popcorn-15-Scary-Movie.gif

I wonder how the shit these people make money and build such incredible engines and games. Their games don't sell THAT much, and most companies would die from this sort of stuff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Arguing that the combat in TW2 was consolised is so fucking weird. It wasn't "consolised". They changed the fundamental play of the combat to resemble a real time player reactive driven system instead of pure dice rolls and number crunching. I don't think The Witcher ever aimed to be pure CRPG, and so there was no precedent for The Witcher 2 to be. I also greatly oppose the notion that an RPG has to have stat driven dice roll combat.

They took on a different combat system for The Witcher 2, hoping to evolve it into something of their own. Whether or not they succeeded is another matter entirely. But consolised? Hell, The Witcher's combat system would have been just as playable, if not more so, with a control pad, in all its featureless glory.

this is true, but i still consider it the best looking pc game to date. in fact w2 was so good looking i could hardly believe it was all possible. were there any config mods to fix shadows?

Oh I agree, The Witcher 2 is incredible beautiful. Still is. Just bizarre that for a game that looked so good one aspect of the engine was low tech compared to pretty much everything else on the market.

Tacitus_

I wonder how the shit these people make money and build such incredible engines and games. Their games don't sell THAT much, and most companies would die from this sort of stuff.

Polish wages help. And GOG monies.

Arguing that the combat in TW2 was consolised is so fucking weird. It wasn't "consolised". They changed the fundamental play of the combat to resemble a real time player reactive driven system instead of pure dice rolls and number crunching. I don't think The Witcher ever aimed to be pure CRPG, and so there was no precedent for The Witcher 2 to be. I also greatly oppose the notion that an RPG has to have stat driven dice roll combat.

They took on a different combat system for The Witcher 2, hoping to evolve it into something of their own. Whether or not they succeeded is another matter entirely. But consolised? Hell, The Witcher's combat system would have been just as playable, if not more so, with a control pad, in all its featureless glory.

Heh, if memory serves Derrick believes even the crafting system was consolised in TW2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not consolized, but completely useless for sure. There was no reason to craft anything but potions with how the combat system was set up.

Right, see, this I agree with entirely. I think there's tremendous necessary room to improve The Witcher 2's system. But it's really not "consolised". If we were talking about a stat system as robust, complex, and integral to the design as Fallout's SPECIAL then turned into a real time system sure, consolised maybe, dumbed down certainly. But The Witcher never had that. It was a basic system of tiered stats usually tied to special abilities and powers, mixed in with a timing based combat system based on damage based dice rolls. The Witcher 2 retained the same tiered stat/power system, reworked it for real time combat, and even kept the dice roll damage variables.

Ezio

CDPR take my money already damnit...I'm THROWING it at you!

Looks so good, can't wait for Feb 5th announcement.

FACE

Banned
http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Popcorn-15-Scary-Movie.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

TELL US EVERYTHING YOU KNOW

[quote="Ezio, post: 47171097"]CDPR take my money already damnit...I'm THROWING it at you!

Looks so good, can't wait for Feb 5th announcement.[/QUOTE]

CDPR right now:

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iF4GssBIyNnx6.gif

I'll just be interested to see whether CDPR does the same level of branching and divergence in the narrative as The Witcher 2, how big the open world actually is (Skyrim big?), and whether they have the save import do anything meaningful from a story POV?

Kind of excited to see their new animation system too, since the facial animations in TW2 were kind of stiff, relative to how good the character models looked.

Can't wait for next week!

zon

This looks and sounds promising. Now if we could only get the writers from Obsidian to work with the tech guys on CDP...

Schlomo

Having just finished Witcher 1 last week, I would be absolutely satisfied if Witcher 3 is as big and open as the areas in W1 with the polish and graphics of W2. W2 felt too small and narrow to me in comparison.

UrbanRats

Really excited about the whole press release, though the screenshot itself is not mindblowing, tbh.
Still, i like the cloudy, dark vibe it has.

Tacitus_

Not consolized, but completely useless for sure. There was no reason to craft anything but potions with how the combat system was set up.

Really? I found bombs pretty useful on harder difficulties and the armors crafted from boss parts were pretty good as well. Traps were kinda useless with their setup time however. Still, again a huge upgrade compared to TW1.

antitrop

Honestly, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

The enormous upgrade in quality from The Witcher to its sequel is extremely rare in the games industry today. While I don't expect quite exactly the same kind of "jump" from as before, I fully believe that The Witcher 3 will still be a flagship title visually, as were the two before it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Really? I found bombs pretty useful on harder difficulties and the armors crafted from boss parts were pretty good as well. Traps were kinda useless with their setup time however. Still, again a huge upgrade compared to TW1.

I crafted superior swords, unique armors and couldn't complete some parts without potions and bombs. There were tons of useless potions in my opinion but they were useless to me, i.e. didn't fit my playstyle. I haven't used a lot of skills in New Vegas, that doesn't mean that they are useless.

subversus

Yes, but we know it's going to be out way before 2077. I'm thinking Cyberpunk will be the first game to test out the engine.

TW3 will be that game, there is no use to announce the engine and then show a screen from fantasy environment.

Chinner

Banned
eh witches 2 was too consolized. would prefer if it was a top down isometric rpg combing elements of Desu ex, Baldurs gate and morrowind. why can't games be more hardcore?

fp16 hdr used by most shooters this gen. Nothing amazing.

if they would use fp32 that would be amazing (part of reason why Gran turismo 5 look so good)

Oh accuracy in calculations? I thought color depth, i dont have a 10 bit monitor to display those colors.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I like the idea of a more sandbox-flavored Witcher lots, actually.

eh witches 2 was too consolized. would prefer if it was a top down isometric rpg combing elements of Desu ex, Baldurs gate and morrowind. why can't games be more hardcore?

B-baka! I-It's not like I ever asked for this ...

You're supposed to set the traps in anticipation of a fight, then lure your enemy to them. :p

Yes, but we know it's going to be out way before 2077. I'm thinking Cyberpunk will be the first game to test out the engine.

The Witcher 3 is supposed to be open world as well, according to the hidden text in the CP2077 teaser, so hopefully it's using this engine as well.

Derrick01

Banned

You didn't need to use bombs or upgraded armors at all. Again, just roll around people and you'll rarely ever get hit and they'll chase after you which exposes them to being hit in various places.

Sentenza

The Witcher 3 is supposed to be open world as well, according to the hidden text in the CP2077 teaser, so hopefully it's using this engine as well.
I still need to see what CDPR actually means with "open world" this time, because reading old news on RPG Codex I recently noticed that they announced/described TW2 as "open world" as well, which isn't exactly how I would describe it in retrospective.

subversus

You didn't need to use bombs or upgraded armors at all. Again, just roll around people and you'll rarely ever get hit and they'll chase after you which exposes them to being hit in various places.

you need to use bombs with Nekkers and other monsters. If you play on hard that is the only way. But as usual you prefer to play the game in the most boring way and then show it off.

Sentenza

I have my fair share of complaints about TW2 as well, but this really isn't one.

That's like claiming that you don't need to level up in Dark Souls or Ys OoF, because "you can do just fine evading blows and doing trivial damage at every hit".
Which is technically true but silly.

Hitchslap

Neo Member

Yea...what a terrible game. Just like Dark Souls - that one you can beat without using armor/magic at all!

Derrick01

Banned
Yea...what a terrible game. Just like Dark Souls - that one you can beat without using armor/magic at all!

At least rolling in DS used Stamina.

subversus said:
you need to use bombs with Nekkers and other monsters. If you play on hard that is the only way. But as usual you prefer to play the game in the most boring way and then show it off

I've finished the game on every difficulty except the permadeath one.

Perkel

Banned
Oh accuracy in calculations? I thought color depth, i dont have a 10 bit monitor to display those colors.

It is not color deph, thanks to fp32 hdr lightning can look way better especially with combination of global illumination. What most of people call over-excessive bloom in games is mostly just lack of dynamic range and really looks just bad. With use of FP32 it creates very good effect which is not into your face.

This is why GT5 has this real feel about their lightning system and when you see some shots from photo-mode in daylight condition it is not ugly looking white bloom everywhere but nice effects of sun shining on car.

It is hard to describe it since it is more subjective.

Without fp32 hdr it wouldn't be look like this: It would be more bloom in your eyes

But fp16 hdr for RPG is a good thing. It should help with excessive bloom halo everywhere (like in wither 2)

I had this nice GT5 fp16 vs fp32 hdr comparison but i can't find it.

Top Bottom