• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

Such a shame that their games don't sell well in general and without proper backing from Nintendo, their U titles could potentially be sent out to bomb creating an even larger catalog of non-sellers. I don't think Platinum wants to be known as a developer who makes games that don't move units. It'd probably make for a harder sell looking for work.

Anson225

There are already not enough titles for Wii U, and now there is this amazing exclusive coming out but Nintendo is doing so little to promote it.

Just kinda sad about it, does Nintendo know what is it missing?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Meh. It's more a case of not wanting to see a quality dev go under from successive bombs because they opted for exclusivity lock when backing the wrong horse. Personally I'm largely indifferent to either title, but I'd probably pick up one of them on another system specifically to see them live to fight another day. I've done so before with certain other devs and I will no doubt do it again. Need to take the long view with these things. C'est la vie.

How philanthropical!

JoeM86

Meh. It's more a case of not wanting to see a quality dev go under from successive bombs because they opted for exclusivity lock when backing the wrong horse. Personally I'm largely indifferent to either title, but I'd probably pick up one of them on another system specifically to see them live to fight another day. I've done so before with certain other devs and I will no doubt do it again. Need to take the long view with these things. C'est la vie.

They didn't opt for exclusivity, Nintendo is paying for these games. Without Nintendo, neither Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2 would exist. It's not them starting to make it and then choosing to make it Nintendo exclusive.

There are already not enough titles for Wii U, and now there is this amazing exclusive coming out but Nintendo is doing so little to promote it.

Just kinda sad about it, does Nintendo know what is it missing?

Again, Nintendo does their marketing in the month running up to the game. As such, you can expect advertising for Wonderful 101 to begin around July 20th.

AOC83

Banned
I mean as said, maybe theres some big unveil where we all go "holy shit", but I find that pretty hard to believe.

I like what i see so far.
That won´t prevent the game from bombing though because the number of people who dig the style will be very small.

zoukka

Games just never grabbed me, sorry. It just looks mashy and not the kinda thing I love Platinum for. Either that or theyre doing a terrible job promoting it!

No I was talking about the budget and how you immediately assumed that a cartoony looking game like this should not have a high budget.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
At E3 Direct -> They showed a new trailer, explained the 5 player mode WITH gameplay of it shown and announced they would share more details closer to launch (aka propably a TW101 direct. There will also be an Iwata Asks about it.)
They showed very little of it. The announcement of multiplayer was more like a throw away addition to the trailer.
Local only isn't that surprising, but what sort of multiplayer content is there? I guess we don't know much other than the multiplayer footage they kinda sneaked into the first trailer. It looks more like competitive party game stuff than actual co-op or anything.
I saw one site compare it to the multiplayer in the new Luigi's Mansion game. Co-operative where the competition comes with scoring. Hopefully W101 won't be quite so wonky with the numbers.
They didn't opt for exclusivity, Nintendo is paying for these games. Without Nintendo, neither Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2 would exist. It's not them starting to make it and then choosing to make it Nintendo exclusive.
Other Platinum games would likely exist. Maybe ones under a better publisher.

CookTrain

Nintendo might be able to push Kamiya himself a little more if he wasn't so openly hostile to everyone and everything. Nintendo can't really do much with him at the moment.

Maybe Kamiya should concern himself with that.

iMerc

This is one of those games that is always going to be a niche title. It's got a camp cartoon style and frantic Platinum gameplay. It would sell low numbers on any platform.

But I will be there day one.

tell that to all the dudebro gamers piping in this thread pretending that releasing this game on xbox will magically make this game sell well.

then there's the issue that on the surface, this games looks like a cartoony kids game with multiple power-ranger-looking like characters being controlled at the same.

a colorful cartoony game selling on xbox? please.
l love xbox and i'll be there day 1 for the bone, but there are genres that market just doesn't cater to.

Hypron

I can see MGR since it's a game in a very popular franchise. The other two? We'll see I guess.

Considering what the Wii-U sales look like right now, the games would need to have a very high attach rate to sell better than Bayonetta. I really hope the games do well though (I bought a Wii-U -granted, for very cheap- almost exclusively for those 2 games...).

duckroll

"Fight alongside friends in five-player local co-op multiplayer. Each player controls a Wonderful One character and pummels enemies with a unique Unite Morph."

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-wonderful-101/

I saw one site compare it to the multiplayer in the new Luigi's Mansion game. Co-operative where the competition comes with scoring. Hopefully W101 won't be quite so wonky with the numbers.

That could be pretty interesting, but if it's less of a party mode and more of an actual co-op multiplayer thing with up to 5 players, why not make it online? Another odd decision...

2San

Nintendo might be able to push Kamiya himself a little more if he wasn't so openly hostile to everyone and everything. Nintendo can't really do much with him at the moment.

Maybe Kamiya should concern himself with that.
His job is to develop the game not market it.
That could be pretty interesting, but if it's less of a party mode and more of an actual co-op multiplayer thing with up to 5 players, why not make it online? Another odd decision...
Maybe the lack inhouse expertise? Have they ever made a MP game?

Someone should Tweet him that there is going to be a huge blowout in next week's Famitsu. ;)

Edit: Bah, I screwed up the joke.
I failed at referencing his "This week in a game magazine…" Tweet.

CookTrain

His job is to develop the game not market it.

Then maybe he should pipe down so he isn't a liability to the family-friendly PR approach Nintendo aims for? He can't have his cake and eat it too, either he's a public face for his games or he isn't.

Joni

He is probably used to the typical 'first 2-3 week sales are the most important' language. Nintendo will probably allow The WOnderful 101 to grow more over time which will be reflected in the marketing.

StiLt

I know 0 people in real life with a Wii U who am I going to tell? D:

There is no wrong horse. Nintendo paid them to develop it. It's not like Platinum is making a loss on it afaik.

There certainly is a wrong horse. Your only as marketable as the sales figures on your last couple of games from an investment perspective unfortunately. Its the reality of the industry. If they have successive bombs, what publisher is going to give them big funding and timeframes next time? Even Nintendo would scale back that pot. It's a spiral that would be hard to recover from.

Hell I might even buy a copy of Bayonetta 2 and I don't even have a WiiU (yet.. but still not really sold at this point).

wrowa

Local only isn't that surprising, but what sort of multiplayer content is there? I guess we don't know much other than the multiplayer footage they kinda sneaked into the first trailer. It looks more like competitive party game stuff than actual co-op or anything.

Apparently the co-op was actually playable on the show-floor. I'm not sure if Nintendo's really at fault here, Wonderful101 sadly seems to be a game that fails to get the interest of the press. Nintendo can show as much of the game as they want, when most outlets aren't going to cover it, the game's still screwed. That seems to be kind of what's happening here.

This reminds me of Keighley's Reggie interview. When he asked Reggie why Nintendo isn't showing new IPs, Reggie referred to Wonderful 101 saying they are putting a lot of effort into that game. Keighley on the other hand was simply laughing it off. The general consensus seems to be that people, in the press and among the gamers, just don't think that Wonderful 101 is very much newsworthy. They look at it for a minute and decide that it's not appealing to them. Wonderful 101 has a strange style, it's cheesy, it looks like some kind of Pikmin, it's combining all the ingredients of a cult hit with almost no market appeal. I don't think any marketing of the world can really change that.

Dang0

To be fair, it's not coming out in EU till late August and US is mid september, there's still time to push this game to mainstream audiences. I do think Nintendo could be doing a bit more though. Putting the full E3 trailers in their last two conferences would have helped a bit. I'm still pissed that they put SiNG Party over P100 at e3 2012.

bon

Everyone complains that Nintendo never releases new IPs, but that's not true. Nintendo's real problem is they don't market their new IPs, and they fall off the radar.

They should be shoving TW101 down the media's throat. They should be hyping X up like it's the next Mass Effect.

iMerc

the real issue here is that nintendos' game marketing in general sucks.

it has nothing to do with whether this is 1st party or not, because they apply the same marketing tactics across the board.

they need to go back to their old ways or marketing titles.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No I was talking about the budget and how you immediately assumed that a cartoony looking game like this should not have a high budget.

Hey, I love me some big budget cartoony games. I just don't really see where its all going to on this game.

I guess Bayonetta had a fair few of those cheapy filmstrip cutscenes rather than full ones, so that was an area of cost reduction but they really need to have shown more of this game off than they have for me to have an "ohhhhhhhhhhh!" moment.

The above IGN E3 footage is fucking terrible for instance. Minutes spent on a menu, then loading screen, then slowly inching through a level with very few mooks and slides. I'm already bored and thats not a good sign.

acidagfc

I own Wii U, I know this game comes out soon, I've seen trailers and Directs and yet I have no idea what this game is about and why should I buy it.

So yeah, it is not marketed enough.

StiLt

Ah fair enough. Thought it had been a money hat scenario rather than an enabling arrangement. What I said stands though, it would be a real shame if this scenario bites them.

2San

There certainly is a wrong horse. Your only as marketable as the sales figures on your last couple of games from an investment perspective unfortunately. Its the reality of the industry. If they have successive bombs, what publisher is going to give them big funding and timeframes next time? Even Nintendo would scale back that pot. It's a spiral that would be hard to recover from.

Hell I might even buy a copy of Bayonetta 2 and I don't even have a WiiU (yet.. but still not really sold at this point).
They make games that rate well on metacritic, publishers will blame marketing rather then the dev in cases like this.

Then maybe he should pipe down so he isn't a liability to the family-friendly PR approach Nintendo aims for? He can't have his cake and eat it too, either he's a public face for his games or he isn't.
The wider audience doesn't even know who Kamiya is. He is complaining by the lack of marketing. If gaming magazines aren't previewing your game then that's all on Nintendo.

Anarchy Reign?
Shows how much I cared about that game. xD Completely forgot about it. I was even somewhat hyped for that game as well at some point.

Everyone complains that Nintendo never releases new IPs, but that's not true. Nintendo's real problem is they don't market their new IPs, and they fall off the radar.

Where's my Steel Diver sequel godammit!

And I agree, W101 is most likely gonna bomb and I am having hard time believing that B2 would make it even. Crappy for Platinum, but of course something big could happen.

Solune

I guess we have to get on Miiverse and do it for them. As small of a group as that is, it's proven that a Miiverse coup will gather attention from the gaming media. Since Nintendo won't gather attention from the gaming media for them.
Is there already a Miiverse Community for the game? I saw some art in the Miiverse art thread but I rarely go on the Wii U.
I know 0 people in real life with a Wii U who am I going to tell? D:

Exactly. How can you spread word of mouth to people who have no interest in the console? I know one other person who has a Wii U that is purchasing w101, everyone else that has a Wii U that I have contact with is on GAF.

Into

Apparently the co-op was actually playable on the show-floor. I'm not sure if Nintendo's really at fault here, Wonderful101 sadly seems to be a game that fails to get the interest of the press. Nintendo can show as much of the game as they want, when most outlets aren't going to cover it, the game's still screwed. That seems to be kind of what's happening here.

This reminds me of Keighley's Reggie interview. When he asked Reggie why Nintendo isn't showing new IPs, Reggie referred to Wonderful 101 saying they are putting a lot of effort into that game. Keighley on the other hand was simply laughing it off. The general consensus seems to be that people, in the press and among the gamers, just don't think that Wonderful 101 is very much newsworthy. They look at it for a minute and decide that it's not appealing to them. Wonderful 101 has a strange style, it's cheesy, it looks like some kind of Pikmin, it's combining all the ingredients of a cult hit with almost no market appeal. I don't think any marketing of the world can really change that.

I think you nailed it

It does not matter what system it appears on, this idea that just because the game is colorful with cartoonish graphics that it will somehow get millions upon millions of Nintendo fans to purchase it is flawed, it does not work that way.

Just like millions of CoD fans do not go and buy ever CoD inspired, gritty military shooter game, you see games like Fuse and countless others bomb, despite having all the ingredients to appeal to this supposed "dudebro" demographic.

The game has bomb written all over it, i am sure it will have a cult following and it will cost 100 dollars on Amazon used in a few years

Dang0

Ah fair enough. Thought it had been a money hat scenario rather than an enabling arrangement. What I said stands though, it would be a real shame if this scenario bites them.

While I don't think W101 will sell well at launch, I'm hopeful that it will sell decently over a long period as people buy a Wii U for other more established franchises. Nintendo franchises tend to have longer legs then other games, here's hoping W101 gets included in that club.

I think you nailed it

It does not matter what system it appears on, this idea that just because the game is colorful with cartoonish graphics that it will somehow get millions upon millions of Nintendo fans to purchase it is flawed, it does not work that way.

Just like millions of CoD fans do not go and buy ever CoD inspired, gritty military shooter game, you see games like Fuse and countless others bomb, despite having all the ingredients to appeal to this supposed "dudebro" demographic.

The game has bomb written all over it, i am sure it will have a cult following and it will cost 100 dollars on Amazon used in a few years

I doubt it will get that high a price, since it'll be on the eshop.

kick51

Banned
These guys need a good publisher badly. From Sega to Nintendo is pretty rough. Good thing they got that MGS Rising money.

Coolwhip

Banned
Even with marketing this game wont do well. It's a game that could have done well 10 years ago. But it's way too colorful, without a Nintendo IP attached to it.

Sadist

Yup. Except for a handfull of people (including me, because I think it's awesome) nobody will give the Wonderful 101 a fair shake. That's part of the Platinum curse; they make very enjoyable games, but if it's not tied to a well-known franchise like Metal Gear it will flatout bomb. Especially in the west.

69wpm

Nintendo has said multiple times it is not marketing a game in advance, or hyping it for that matter, because it doesn't make any sense. Others could copy their ideas and I agree with that. Why hype a game one year before release? What if it doesn't live up to the hype? Some people here seem to be marketing geniuses, well guess what, marketing is not easy, especially for a niche game like this.

Something else: People who seriously think P* would be better off with another publisher let's not forget nobody wanted to fund their games. Nintendo sure as hell knows what risks there are with funding TW101 and Bayo2 and they probably don't mind taking a little loss with these games just to have "hardcore titles" on their system.

eXistor

I hope the game does well, it looks amazing, but to think this could really sell well is naive to say the least. It's gonna find audience for sure and they'll love the hell out of it, but it just doesn't have any kind of mass-appeal, never did.

duckroll

Yeah it's definitely failing to get press attention, that's for sure. It kinda sucks since without those outlets informing people about how stuff in a game works and why people should be excited, the only other option is to find a demo booth which has the game. Nintendo really should continue putting out a comprehensive demo on the eShop and pushing people to try it for themselves. That way, even if the press fails to report on it, we'll have people on forums ready to dissect the gameplay and explain stuff to people who don't get it.

Unfortunate situation all round really, especially with all the hype at E3 going to new upcoming consoles.

Chinner

Banned
developing exclusively for wii u is going to be one of the worst commercial decisions. hopefully the money hat is worth it.

JDSN

Banned
The only silver linning for Nintendo fans is that if Nintendo liked working with them they will have then on speed dial even tho their games flop (they will), Monster Games still works with them after two flops, same with Good-feel and Artoon.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nintendo has said multiple times it is not marketing a game in advance, or hyping it for that matter, because it doesn't make any sense. Others could copy their ideas and I agree with that. Why hype a game one year before release? What if it doesn't live up to the hype? Some people here seem to be marketing geniuses, well guess what, marketing is not easy, especially for a niche game like this.

Something else: People who seriously think P* would be better off with another publisher let's not forget nobody wanted to fund their games. Nintendo sure as hell knows what risks there are with funding TW101 and Bayo2 and they probably don't mind taking a little loss with these games just to have "hardcore titles" on their system.

Thats a whole fistful of excuses there laddo. This game is coming out in a month, I don't think devs have time to copy and release a look-alike to market (not that I even think they want to). So if they're not going full-tilt in the month run up to the game, when are they? The day before? That... isn't going to work well. You need a year really, to make people thirst and want your game bigtime.

Theres been seemingly 2 demo levels of W101 ever shown, and they didn't exactly grip people with astonishment. I'm just a bit worried the core gameplay is just frankly both boring and finnicky.

In retrospect, perhaps Kamiya should have rolled out an Okami spiritual successor instead of this game. Would have certainly filled more of a Nintendo console owner staple.

This type of game would bomb on PS4 too.

Look at the hit games of the last 2 years on consoles, not much colour.
Oh piss off with this "non-Nintendo consoles hate colour!" rhetoric. Its super dumb. Minecraft sure is selling awfully!

2San

Exactly. How can you spread word of mouth to people who have no interest in the console? I know one other person who has a Wii U that is purchasing w101, everyone else that has a Wii U that I have contact with is on GAF.
Pretty much, I'm really curious what will happen to X. Xenoblade did well, but the Wii had a huge install base, people just dusted off the Wii's they already had to play it.
I bought a Wii for Xenoblade.

Top Bottom