• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

Yikes, the developer complaining publicly about advertising before the game can't be a good sign for Platinum and Nintendo's relationship going forward.

Sponge

Banned
This wouldn't have been a problem if you brought it to other consoles.

With the way this game looks? It would succeed on PC maybe. We have people on here saying Knack looks too kiddy and that's a PS4 game. This game just needs marketing.

zoukka

It's a Platinum game, it's a Wii U exclusive - it's going to flop no matter how much marketing it gets.

Yeah the cocktail truly sounds awful for platinum. At most they can hope for setting up the audience for bayo 2 by taking a big hit with 101.

Wait... People expect W101 to sell? Really? I'm not being sarcastic here, but that's about as naive as expecting Knack to become a multi million selling franchise and become the face of Playstation.

Even with all the advertisement in the world, this game is a hard sell beyond enthusiasts to begin with. It's abstract, comes with no tied IP, and goes against every market trend that is currently exploited. Mind you, I don't deny that the game is looking glorious and probably is tons of fun, but it's not going to sell well, or beyond enthusiasts.

AOC83

Banned
Yikes, the developer complaining publicly about advertising before the game is even released speaks badly about Platinum and Nintendo's relationship going forward.

Platinum better hurry to get back on board on the relevant consoles or they are going to get in trouble in the future.

JDSN

Banned
Yikes, the developer complaining publicly about advertising before the game can't be a good sign for Platinum and Nintendo's relationship going forward.
Yep, Inaba must be scrambling to the phone to contact Nintendo right now.

Still, twitter copypasta or not, I hope this gets picked up by the press.

Squire

Banned
It's getting it's own Direct. Kamiya should also promote it more on twitter instead of replying to every single tweet he gets. Learn from JP Kellams:

uvlQKkM.png

What's there to learn? JP is just proving Duckroll's point. Their hands are tied.

If I read those tweets and didn't know what TW101 was, I still wouldn't afterward. He's talking to people who probably decided they're getting the game months ago.

I feel W101 is coming too close to Pikmin 3. Nintendo is pumping hype for Pikmin now (obviously being it Miyamoto's game) so W101 is a bit overlooked. After all the delays, they chose maybe just the wrong time for W101 release.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo really needs to step up their advertising and sort of throw a re-launch campaign of some sorts this summer / early fall. It's the perfect time for it. Withdraw the basic model, new price, and have massive campaigns highlighting the games scheduled for release this fall, including this one. As it is, I never see ads on the telly, except when the kids are watching Disney Junior, very little at stores and in papers etc. At least try to sell your console, Nintendo!

That being said: I never saw this game or Bayonetta 2 (or any platinum game) as massive sellers, and they probably wont set the charts on fire by any means.

Fabrik

Banned
He's right :( But Nintendo has an entire Nintendo Direct planned just for this game so at least more hardcore gamers will be aware of it. But Nintendo needs to do a lot more in stores. They should promote the Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 combo. Market your games god damn it. It's less than one month until Pikmin 3 release and I haven't seen a single banner online.

Solune

oh man, poor kamiya and platinum games... they dont deserve this...

as far as it goes for nintendo... welp that game is super hardcore... i dont think its easy to advertise this game.

still this is fucking nintendo. they can do everything, why is it a problem buying core-games from one of the worlds best devs and then leave it beyond hell???

man i dont want the game to bomb-.-

He really ought to have made his peace with the idea of the game flopping before now.

I'm afraid we all knew this was going to be a bomba when it was first announced no matter how awesome it looked. What's also frustrating is that E3 passed and there was barely any coverage beyond some offscreen footage and a trailer.

duckroll

This too, actually. It seems to be Nintendo's modus operandi for promoting many of their titles. Especially in Japan.

That doesn't mean it's a good thing, especially for new IPs which are different. I don't think saying "this is normal!" matters when it's clear that in a lot of cases the normal thing being done isn't working. The WiiU isn't selling well either, does that mean Nintendo shouldn't change anything and keep doing what they always do just because that's normal? Obviously not.

TCRS

Banned
Nintendo has yet to market Wii U.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with Nintendo. Why don't they fire their head of marketing already. What a shambolic display.

Kind of mind-boggling that a multi-billion dollar corporation with their experience could mess this up like that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
That doesn't mean it's a good thing, especially for new IPs which are different. I don't think saying "this is normal!" matters when it's clear that in a lot of cases the normal thing being done isn't working. The WiiU isn't selling well either, does that mean Nintendo shouldn't change anything and keep doing what they always do just because that's normal? Obviously not.

Not saying it's the right thing to do every time, just that it's how Nintendo works. Of course, this isn't doing the job for Wii U right now, who can deny that :lol

Squire

Banned
Wait... People expect W101 to sell? Really? I'm not being sarcastic here, but that's about as naive as expecting Knack to become a multi million selling franchise and become the face of Playstation.

TW101 is gonna bomb and so is Bayonetta 2, for sure. That's beside the point though. Nintendo isn't even trying and won't let PG try themselves, it seems.

I mean, hell, EA sent Fuse out to die, but Insomniac wouldn't shut up about that game. They had their configured so they could talk. PG doesn't have that, so no one is doing anything.

What he expected from Nintendo? Is like indie games crying about Microsoft.

He probably just thinks it's strange since it's not like Nintendo has much else to market on the Wii U at the moment. They're finally getting some games and they're doing very little to make sure that everyone knows about. Direct's will only speak to the people that are already knowledgeable about it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This wouldn't have been a problem if you brought it to other consoles. But since Nintendo is publishing....

Platinum better hurry to get back on board on the relevant consoles or they are going to get in trouble in the future.

Platinum games have a history on other consoles, you know. That history reveals that their sales aren't normally exactly COD-level.

Got to love the stealth port begging in W101 and Bayonetta 2 threads though.

daxgame

I always felt this game was ultraniche. Never understood how it could sell well in any case. I'll buy it of course!

The fact it got ZERO play at the initial e3 it was shown off at and was relegated to an "after show wtf is this romp" was a terrible way to start this game off in the first place.

EDarkness

Isn't this game getting it's own direct this month or next month?

Nintendo is a damn shameful mess when it comes to Wii U

if this game cannot get any hype I am not sure what was he point of funding it

I played this at last year's E3 and it just isn't my thing. It's gonna be a hard sell regardless, but I'm glad Nintendo funded it. There should be game variety. I have a feeling it's gonna bomb, though. It's incredibly niche and I doubt many people will be able to get into it. There's nothing wrong with that, though.

WillyFive

This wouldn't have been a problem if you brought it to other consoles. But since Nintendo is publishing....

It would still be a problem, because it was a problem in the past. Nintendo at least has a history of being able to get games outside the established market genres to sell, but Nintendo being Nintendo with marketing, it usually happens via word of mouth.

JoeM86

Nintendo have always been one to market in the month running up to the game. Doing so too long before a game comes out is detrimental. If people see marketing for a game, they want to go out and get it. To then find out it's not coming for a few months is disheartening.

With their strategy, they market heavy as it approaches and then for a short while afterwards.

Fret not, it will be heavily marketed.

Nintendo isn't just publishing, they paid for the development, too.

Solune

What he expected from Nintendo? Is like indie games crying about Microsoft.

That's not a good analogy at all. This is like the time Shadows of the Damned was coming out and damn near nobody even knew it was releasing before it actually came out and EA did a piss poor job of promoting that title.

They spent 1.5 times what they did on Bayonetta to produce W101. Think about that for a second.

He probably just thinks it's strange since it's not like Nintendo has much else to market on the Wii U at the moment. They're finally getting some games and they're doing very little to make sure that everyone knows about. Direct's will only speak to the people that are already knowledgeable about it.

Nintendo started their Wii U marketing campaign last week on Japan, all these games come a month later in America so we can assume they are going to start marketing Pikmin much later than in Japan. If we don't see TW101 ads shortly after Pikmin is released then we can say Nintendo doesn't care.

The fact it got ZERO play at the initial e3 it was shown off at and was relegated to an "after show wtf is this romp" was a terrible way to start this game off in the first place.

Now that was shameful. They land a deal with one of the best directors in gaming and his game ends up being shown off in a post show interview on GameTrailers while Nintendo finds a way to make room for a port of Batman: Arkham City in their conference.

With or without marketing we all know that this game will fail and not because it will be a bad game. I can't believe they put more effort in this than Bayonetta, it's time for P* to approach games in a different way or nobody will want to work with them despite their talent.

kick51

Banned
lol all this victim blaming.

When a gigantic, billion dollar company like Nintendo is supposed to be your publisher, you are normally not expected to market the game yourself.

Pooya

"says stores aren't promoting the game because they don't really understand what it is"
"no one really gets the game, so there isnt a lot of hype" its similar to Okami**

sounds about right, I really don't know what kind of game this is yet and I'm actually someone that follows game news. There has been very little exposure any where.

I'm not sure what it's about either. I don't think that's necessarily Nintendo's fault. Platinum is to blame for making a weird game that doesn't look appealing enough for me to research.

its 90% nintendo's fault, and I guess 10% Platinum's fault for not making a 2d platformer or a shooter on another console

the wii u has a total of (2?) other games coming out in september, both being multiplatform, and the one exclusive is going to get completely ignored not just by the general populace, but the actual publisher. THATS not platinum's fault

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
At least here in Germany it is one month later than Pikmin 3 and NSLU, so I'd guess Nintendo will first focus on these two titles and when they are out of the door start promoting Wonderful 101. Promoting W101 and Pikmin 3 at the same time doesn't seem to be a clever idea. Since W101 (even moreso than Pikmin 3) is a niche-game, I think the marketing budget has to be used wisely and centered around the launch. Of course it wouldn't hurt to let Kamiya talk about it a bit more freely :).

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nintendo started their Wii U marketing campaign last week on Japan, all these games come a month later in America so we can assume they are going to start marketing Pikmin much later than in Japan. If we don't see TW101 ads shortly after Pikmin is released then we can say Nintendo doesn't care.
Reading the OP doesn't make it seem like this is about television ads. There is marketing that comes before that, and it heavily impacts both how consumers perceive a product and how stores do. If stores do not detect consumer interest and don't see a game being promoted they will order fewer copies, a decision they will make well in advance of the game's launch.

I always felt this game was ultraniche. Never understood how it could sell well in any case. I'll buy it of course!

Me too, RTS+Action seems a unique combination and its exactly what I wanna play when I get a WiiU later this year. Unfortunately its gonna sell less than Pikmin 3 which is already a niche game.

Top Bottom