• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

NotLiquid

I was pretty surprised when Nintendo put a TW101 silhouette on their E3 site among all their other main IPs. I thought it meant that they acknowledged it as something of a big IP for them, but alas. Nintendo needs to understand that the game won't have legs on it's own.

I'm going to be incredibly disappointed if it bombs because it looks like one of the most original new IPs coming into the new generation and I want to see Platinum and Nintendo do well as partners. On a surface level this kind of game should appeal to everyone; a fun but cool art style that draws in the younger crowd while the older can appreciate just how over-the-top and action-filled it is despite that. The game play then ends up taking both camps for a ride. It looks like a timeless classic.

Nintendo needs to push this because despite what people claim, there is easily a market to tap into this. The super hero genre is more prominent than ever no thanks to Marvel, and it begs for even the cheesiest of ad campaigns if that's all they have to settle with to convince the market. Hell, go for something like "Nintendo and Platinum Games partner up to bring you the ultimate super hero experience; only on the new Wii U™".

duckroll

The interesting part is that Kamiya seems to be hinting that there are aspects of the game which aren't even revealed yet. He says that until it is officially announced on the game's site, he can't say anything himself, and then he goes on to talk about how W101 has 1.5 times the manpower and resources they put into Bayonetta 1. After that he says "please look forward to the announcement".

What could it be? Multiplayer? Or maybe the scope of the game is much larger than people think? So far all the trailers and previews seem to make the game look very similar. The transformations are pretty cool and the bosses look like creative set pieces, but I'll say there's definitely something missing from the presentation. It lacks a hook which makes people go "OMG I NEED THIS" like some of Kamiya's other games...

Lol. :(

Soul_Pie

It would be a great shame if this game was sent out to die, I'm probably looking forward to it more than any other 2013 release.

MrValtor

Banned
Nintendo usually starts their marketing a few weeks before he game releases. Pikmin 3 just started it's advertising in Japan. I don't think that there is anything to worry about.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The interesting part is that Kamiya seems to be hinting that there are aspects of the game which aren't even revealed yet. He says that until it is officially announced on the game's site, he can't say anything himself, and then he goes on to talk about how W101 has 1.5 times the manpower and resources they put into Bayonetta 1. After that he says "please look forward to the announcement".

What could it be? Multiplayer? Or maybe the scope of the game is much larger than people think? So far all the trailers and previews seem to make the game look very similar. The transformations are pretty cool and the bosses look like creative set pieces, but I'll say there's definitely something missing from the presentation. It lacks a hook which makes people go "OMG I NEED THIS" like some of Kamiya's other games...

IIRC, Iwata announced 5 player multiplayer at E3, though.

Now that was shameful. They land a deal with one of the best directors in gaming and his game ends up being shown off in a post show interview on GameTrailers while Nintendo finds a way to make room for a port of Batman: Arkham City in their conference.

I was literally a bit irritated when this happened. It's like they wanted the game to feel second rate or something. I love their work, but Nintendo acts like a dumb ass genius at times. All the intelligence in the world, and shitty application of said intelligence.

NotLiquid

The game was said to be relatively long (20 hours I think?) or some such, and every trailer looks like it's mostly taking place in the same area. Most likely it's the length and scope.

Nibel

I don't know what he expects

Pikmin 3 is getting the main focus now for July, and late July they'll begin promoting TW101 (or in NoA's case, today with Twitter at least even though they game will be released in September in NA) - Nintendo always begins marketing later than other companies and honestly they made huge sellers out of LM2 and FE:A, yeah "niche" games even though Luigi's pretty famous

He's been hinting at that for a while, that there's more to the game than has been announced, including more transformations and at least 3 more main characters. I'm quite intrigued what that means.

Nintendo started their Wii U marketing campaign last week on Japan, all these games come a month later in America so we can assume they are going to start marketing Pikmin much later than in Japan. If we don't see TW101 ads shortly after Pikmin is released then we can say Nintendo doesn't care.

But this is a new IP, so giving it a lot of early exposure is very important. You don't want to wait until the date is on top of everyone to start marketing the thing. Organize some sort pre-release hands on event for the game. That would be a huge help.

Solune

I just realized Pikmin 3 is out next week... He shouldn't expect any marketing push until 2 weeks after Pikmin 3!
And it will be a little less than a month and a half before the release in JP. You can't have a high profile developer on a game and NO ONE around the world knows what the game is supposed to be. Especially retailers.
With or without marketing we all know that this game will fail and not because it will be a bad game. I can't believe they put more effort in this than Bayonetta, it's time for P* to approach games in a different way or nobody will want to work with them despite their talent.

I was very surprised to find out that it costed more than Bayonetta as well. But Nintendo can't be arsed to fork over some doe to promote the game.

Into

It would be a great shame if this game was sent out to die, I'm probably looking forward to it more than any other 2013 release.

Earlier this year, president of the company Tatsuya Minami, said Bayonetta was their best selling game (this was pre MGSR release), but still called sales:

However, when it comes to sales, Minami confessed "I'd probably rate it as a C or even a D."

I imagine MGSR is now their best selling title, i do not have any numbers, but with the MGS brand i can easily imagine that being the case.

So what chance does W101 really have? Even if Nintendo pushes it, i just do not think it has mass appeal. Granted Nintendo should still try, but since they have only recently begun pushing the Wii U in Japan, it might signal they are ramping up.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Did they share any details? Are there specifics? See, that's the problem, saying something exists doesn't matter if you're not going to really talk about it.
Every additional player requires a pro controller, and I'm fairly certain it is local only. So...seems like it would only be available to a pretty limited subset of people even within its niche.

Multiplayer is already confirmed

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This is one of those games that is always going to be a niche title. It's got a camp cartoon style and frantic Platinum gameplay. It would sell low numbers on any platform.

But I will be there day one.

I guess we have to get on Miiverse and do it for them. As small of a group as that is, it's proven that a Miiverse coup will gather attention from the gaming media. Since Nintendo won't gather attention from the gaming media for them.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Did they share any details? Are there specifics? See, that's the problem, saying something exists doesn't matter if you're not going to really talk about it.

Eh, probably it's going to be one of the topics in W101's Direct. The fact is that I think Nintendo will start promoting the game in stores too just after the Direct. And just today it became available for preorders on Amazon.co.jp.

At least, I hope they'll start retail promotion right after the Direct. The problem is that it's Nintendo we're talking about. Especially Nintendo on Wii U :(

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Unfortunately, welcome to the Nintendo experience, Kamiya. The plodding along elephant, completely unaware of the outside world.

Still, they were pretty silly to spend 1.5x Bayonetta on this game of all things. I mean as said, maybe theres some big unveil where we all go "holy shit", but I find that pretty hard to believe.

To be fair, I don't really get the game either. It's like some sort of RTS action game? I'm not sure if you can solely blame Nintendo on the confusion, the developers can also push their games in their own ways. Though perhaps Nintendo has restrictions on Platinum talking about their game, so maybe that could be the cause for concern.

I agree that it seems kind of unclear what sort of game it is, but it's Nintendo's responsibility as publisher to communicate this to the audience and get plenty of footage out there. Of course, we know how effective Nintendo have been at marketing lately, so I hope Platinum do okay out of this.

What I am hoping Nintendo does is when the game get's a little bit closer they give us daily tidbits about all of the different game play features and content. If they do it right it could be a decent marketing push alongside other common marketing strategies. I really think the only place TW101 would even see an extremely modest success is a Nintendo console.

I really need to see more of this game to really be sold oh it at this point though. Unless what we have seen is pretty much the full extent of the game just stretched out for time (I'm really hoping this is not the case).

Baleoce

The problem with Directs is that they are basically targeting the people who will probably already know about the game, or have already decided to get it. It's internet marketing, which is cheap and replies mostly on word of mouth. That doesn't help at all with the masses, or with general awareness.

This is exactly how I feel about directs. It targets the people who already had an interest in the first place. That's not proper marketing.

duckroll

Every additional player requires a pro controller, and I'm fairly certain it is local only. So...seems like it would only be available to a pretty limited subset of people even within its niche.

Local only isn't that surprising, but what sort of multiplayer content is there? I guess we don't know much other than the multiplayer footage they kinda sneaked into the first trailer. It looks more like competitive party game stuff than actual co-op or anything.

At E3 Direct -> They showed a new trailer, explained the 5 player mode WITH gameplay of it shown and announced they would share more details closer to launch (aka propably a TW101 direct. There will also be an Iwata Asks about it.)

gogogow

I'm sure they are going to talk about it in the dedicated Nintendo Direct. The Co-Op mode was also playable at E3, maybe no one bothered to do some coverage?
Doesn't it always go like this? When a game is hintend to have multiplayer, the devs will go into the specifics at a later date?

Not sure why Kamiya is talking about this on his twitter account, he should be discussing this with Nintendo if he really feels that something needs to be done.

A valid concern (NIntendo hasn't marketed the Wii U properly in general), but one has to wonder how much of this is just Kamiya rattling his saber on twitter because that's kinda what he does.

Anywho, I played the demo at that Wii U experience tour Nintendo did, and Kamiya has my money. What I played of W101 was already a blast, and it's looking more polished and over the top all the time. If anything it could be one of those games that gets passed over by a lot of new Wii U owners during the holiday, but with potential as a slow burner when people finish up the flagship IPs and start scratching around for something else to fill the gaps. Too bad they couldn't have pushed it out a couple months earlier when there was basically no competition.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You are part of the problem man :(

Games just never grabbed me, sorry. It just looks mashy and not the kinda thing I love Platinum for. Either that or theyre doing a terrible job promoting it!

Into

Not sure why Kamiya is talking about this on his twitter account, he should be discussing this with Nintendo.

Agree, stuff like this should always be done behind the scenes. Though he seems like a pretty outspoken guy, and maybe had enough of this so felt maybe the need to vent out?

I hope the game does well, Platinum Games is a well respected developer for a reason but they need some bigger hits.

StiLt

Platinum games have a history on other consoles, you know. That history reveals that their sales aren't normally exactly COD-level.

Got to love the stealth port begging in W101 and Bayonetta 2 threads though.

Meh. It's more a case of not wanting to see a quality dev go under from successive bombs because they opted for exclusivity lock when backing the wrong horse. Personally I'm largely indifferent to either title, but I'd probably pick up one of them on another system specifically to see them live to fight another day. I've done so before with certain other devs and I will no doubt do it again. Need to take the long view with these things. C'est la vie.

iMerc

Yikes, the developer complaining publicly about advertising before the game can't be a good sign for Platinum and Nintendo's relationship going forward.

you sure are extrapolating a fair bit from a 'mild concern' kamiya has.
this is taking into consideration how this company markets it's games and the time frames they usually use.

though i wonder if this extrapolation is mixed in with a little bit of wishful thinking, as well.

on a general note though, nintendo's marketing tactics do indeed suck.

Spending 1.5 more on this than Bayonetta + all the "Game is bigger than expected 20 hours to beat" stuff from a few weeks back...

How big is this game? Unfortunately Ninty's gonna let this flop, but I'm sure it'll be amazing.

2San

I know 0 people in real life with a Wii U who am I going to tell? D:
Meh. It's more a case of not wanting to see a quality dev go under from successive bombs because they opted for exclusivity lock when backing the wrong horse. Personally I'm largely indifferent to either title, but I'd probably pick up one of them on another system specifically to see them live to fight another day. I've done so before with certain other devs and I will no doubt do it again. Need to take the long view with these things. C'est la vie.
There is no wrong horse. Nintendo paid them to develop it. It's not like Platinum is making a loss on it afaik.

What I am hoping Nintendo does is when the game get's a little bit closer they give us daily tidbits about all of the different game play features and content. If they do it right it could be a decent marketing push alongside other common marketing strategies. I really think the only place TW101 would even see an extremely modest success is a Nintendo console.

Isn't it out next month?! They need to start the marketing pretty damn soon.

Local only isn't that surprising, but what sort of multiplayer content is there? I guess we don't know much other than the multiplayer footage they kinda sneaked into the first trailer. It looks more like competitive party game stuff than actual co-op or anything.

"Fight alongside friends in five-player local co-op multiplayer. Each player controls a Wonderful One character and pummels enemies with a unique Unite Morph."

http://e3.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-wonderful-101/

Top Bottom