• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM, [Up: RAM 43% slower than 360/PS3 RAM]

zroid

Banned
That seems crazy. Not a specs dude, but underperforming current gen consoles even in an area we had expected it would excel is not inspiring confidence in me.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. You can see how much of a difference that huge memory pool made to the launch games and early multi platform games on WiiU.

So, you believe it doesn't make any difference at all? Oh, its you. NM.

That seems crazy. Not a specs dude, but underperforming current gen consoles even in an area we had expected it would excel is not inspiring confidence in me.

Slow RAM was always in the cards. That's the reason of the whole EDRAM deal.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This is extremely troubling...I'm not abandoning all hope just yet that the Wii U is at least marginally more powerful than PS360 overall, but it's not looking good so far...

I was really looking forward to a (slightly) next-gen Metroid...

Games designed and written for WiiU should look better then what we have on PS360 if the devs can be bothered to put the work in, have the time and have the talent.
The hardware should be able to deliver.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So, you believe it doesn't make any difference at all? Oh, its you. NM.

Slow RAM was always in the cards. That's the reason of the whole EDRAM deal.

It should make a huge difference. I was being sarcastic.

Anyone knows if the rumor about 1gb for the system and 1 gb for the games is right? (sorry if was already answered, didnt find it)

onQ123

it's funny how important a few GB/s of bandwidth has become today even with 4X the ram amount when a few months ago we had rumors of the the PS4 having about 4X the bandwidth of the Nextbox while the Xbox Next had 2X to 4X more GB of slower ram.

The eDRAM will only be large enough to store the render buffers (frame buffer, some textures, vertex buffers, etc), 99% of the game will be on this slow as hell main memory.
Like many people said already, the difference to whatever Sony and Microsoft put into their new consoles will be brutal.
If this is correct. And the rumours on the CPU speed are also correct. Basically the only thing saving WiiU is the GPU.

The Xbox360 and PS3 out performs it otherwise.

Just wow. There's a 7-course gourmet meal of crow being served in the dining room and quite a few people are invited. All of the speculation about how the gap wouldn't be that big, how the Wii U was much more powerful than current gen, all of that bs out the window.

cyberheater

Damn, it's too bad this topic will take most of the Wii U discussion for days until we get new game announcements.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Although I'm disappointed by the performance of WiiU. I was hoping for a decent jump from what we've already got. From what I've seen. The machine seems well balanced within it's performance target.

Games written to take advantage of the architecture will look great.

BlackJace

Just wow. There's a 7-course gourmet meal of crow being served in the dining room and quite a few people are invited. All of the speculation about how the gap wouldn't be that big, how the Wii U was much more powerful than current gen, all of that bs out the window.

There is no crow being served, man. There's still little indication that the next offerings from Sony and MS will effectively put the system in the same spot as the Wii.

It's a modern console. Something that couldn't be said for the Wii.

And what is your obsession with "I told you so"? You do it in everything relating to this topic, and frankly it's quite annoying.

Not one to call people out publicly but I'd love to hear StevieP, bgassassin, wsippel, and all of the other speculation thread regulars' take on this. All those months of debating and defending down the tubes. Memory speed is a huge issue, devs have said it's always been a big bottleneck for this gen, and to actually have slower RAM than 6-7 year old consoles... is this real life.

There is no crow being served, man. There's still little indication that the next offerings from Sony and MS will effectively put the system in the same spot as the Wii.

It's a modern console. Something that couldn't be said for the Wii.

And what is your obsession with "I told you so"? You do it in everything relating to this topic, and frankly it's quite annoying.

My iphone is also a modern system. Doesn't mean squat if computational power is lacking.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Not one to call people out publicly but I'd love to hear StevieP, bgassassin, wsippel, and all of the other speculation thread regulars' take on this. All those months of debating and defending down the tubes.

DDR3 has always been speculated on and seen as the most probable solution chosen. But what do you know anyway?

My iphone is also a modern system. Doesn't mean squat if computational power is lacking.

Can you tell us more about the "computational power" of the Wii U? Also, your $500 iPhone doesn't has 2GB of RAM.

Diablos54

Not one to call people out publicly but I'd love to hear StevieP, bgassassin, wsippel, and all of the other speculation thread regulars' take on this. All those months of debating and defending down the tubes.
What? I can't remember anyone debating/defending the RAM.

So, it's a little slow. The system as a whole seems pretty bottleneck free (At least so far), so what's the big problem? Plus a lot of people seem to be forgetting the eDRAM.

BlackJace

Eh, it is what it is. If it can support modern engines, again, something that the Wii failed at, it's not in the situation as the Wii. That thing was packing circa-1990 parts, FFS.

I liked this part, as if there wouldn't be an army of Nintendo fans in here doing the same if the results were flipped.

Nothing wrong with "I told you so" when we're talking about points we've been regularly discussing for the better part of a year. What's obsessive about that? If the Wii U's capabilities were just a casual point of discussion over the past year then it would be in bad taste, but this has been a large part of the gaming discussion here.

Eh, it is what it is. If it can support modern engines, again, something that the Wii failed at, it's not in the situation as the Wii. That thing was packing circa-1990 parts, FFS.

Phones and tablets support modern engines.

Can you tell us more about the "computational power" of the Wii U? Also, your $500 iPhone doesn't has 2GB of RAM.

No, but what about the top android phones with 2GB? Will they be able to run next gen console games?

jman2050

I liked this part, as if there wouldn't be an army of Nintendo fans in here doing the same if the results were flipped.

Nothing wrong with "I told you so" when we're talking about points we've been regularly discussing for the better part of a year. What's obsessive about that?

You could argue that partaking in the discussion for so long in the first place is obsessive!

Really I just see all this as the logical culmination of years of speculation. Basically, all is proceeding as expected.

Ydahs

Not one to call people out publicly but I'd love to hear StevieP, bgassassin, wsippel, and all of the other speculation thread regulars' take on this. All those months of debating and defending down the tubes. Memory speed is a huge issue, devs have said it's always been a big bottleneck for this gen, and to actually have slower RAM than 6-7 year old consoles... is this real life.
The same people you mentioned actually posted in this very thread. You might want to read more than the first few pages and understand why this may not be an issue.

Nothing wrong with "I told you so" when we're talking about points we've been regularly discussing for the better part of a year. What's obsessive about that?
You're fine. People should eat crow about this.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I don't believe it. No way Nintendo would use slower RAM than last gen consoles. Way too much misinformation flying around here.
It's not slower (unless you want to call 2133MT/s slow), there's just not enough of it to make a wide bus. Something the thought of which some of us entertained a few eons ago.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

You told us that Wii U was going to us DD3? No, you didn't.

It's not slower (unless you want to call 2133MT/s slow), there's just not enough of it to make a wide bus. Something the thought of which some of us entertained a few eons ago.

No, you are wrong. Heavy, by divine intervention, warned us of doom and despair and DDR3 in the Wii U. While us, in our eternal ignorance, were clinging to a GDDR5 solution or even XDR2.

cyberheater

I've been saying since WiiU was announced what the performance envelope of this device was going to be and got derided and ridiculed by loads of gaffers.

Apologies are in order but I doubt I'll get any.

The final piece for me is to find out if the CPU is 3 core single threaded as I believe it is. That will be a tasty dish if true.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh Heavy, you're so adorable.

bonesquad

I don't see how this is a surprise. Maybe the exact specifics, but wasn't it already a given the Wii U was in the same ballpark as PS3/360? Nothing I saw from the vg media or Nintendo themselves ever indicated otherwise. Eh.

Jarmel

Banned
I think it's almost impossible to call the Wii U more powerful than the 360 or PS3. Clearly it's worse in a major category. Is this even happening? Lol

I'm starting to get that flop feeling.

Jesus Christ. How the fuck is this possible?

AND AT A LOSS?!?!

You could argue that partaking in the discussion for so long in the first place is obsessive!

Really I just see all this as the logical culmination of years of speculation. Basically, all is proceeding as expected.
Well you could say that for any part of the forum... I also post in the wrestling thread all year.

The same people you mentioned actually posted in this very thread. You might want to read more than the first few pages and understand why this may not be an issue.
I've read about 5-6 random pages so my bad. It's 15 pages so I haven't had time to look through it all yet but I will.

You told us that Wii U was going to us DD3? No, you didn't.
We're not just talking about a specific aspect like that, the overall power of the system is the point and the memory speed just confirms that point, one that many were wrong about.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I've been saying since WiiU was announced what the performance envelope of this device was going to be and got derided and ridiculed buy loads of gaffers.
Tell us more about the performance of the device plz.

We're not just talking about a specific aspect like that, the overall power of the system is the point and the memory speed just confirms that point, one that many were wrong about.

No, we always knew the device main RAM was going to be bandwidth limited, thus the copious amounts of EDRAM. But is you, who doesn't know anything anyway.

Jesus Christ. How the fuck is this possible?

Is not.

I've been saying since WiiU was announced what the performance envelope of this device was going to be and got derided and ridiculed by loads of gaffers.

Apologies are in order but I doubt I'll get any.

The final piece for me is to find out if the CPU is 3 core single threaded as I believe it is. That will be a tasty dish if true.

Cyber you had that 'on par' avatar, right? might be time to bring her back :lol
wish we had smileys

BlackJace

Nothing wrong with "I told you so" when we're talking about points we've been regularly discussing for the better part of a year. What's obsessive about that? If the Wii U's capabilities were just a casual point of discussion over the past year then it would be in bad taste, but this has been a large part of the gaming discussion here.

I lurked and participated in the speculation thread, and I can tell you that very few people were overly optimistic about the RAM capabilities. If you had read the earlier pages, the same people you called out acknowledged this.You act as though you were apart of a Nostradamus-level prediction that the rest of us willfully ignored, when in reality, this has been called for a while.
Phones and tablets support modern engines.

No, but what about the top android phones with 2GB? Will they be able to run next gen console games?

I'm not sure what you mean here, sorry.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Although I'm disappointed by the performance of WiiU. I was hoping for a decent jump from what we've already got. From what I've seen. The machine seems well balanced within it's performance target.

Games written to take advantage of the architecture will look great.

Right okay. So its not a bad system just not a very open one.
Pretty much a Nintendo machine.

Not sure if disappointed or not; hopefully devs find some ground on the device.
I mostly buy these systems for Nintendo games, but I think this gen hardware wise won't be as cheap as the traditional 360/Wii split last gen.

Least Nintendo is more open to Indie's. Seems they've realised the way to get more support is to you know...allow more support.

No, we always knew the device main RAM was going to be bandwidth limited, thus the copious amounts of EDRAM. But is you, who doesn't know anything anyway.

So "we" always knew the ram would be slower than 7 year old hardware's ram? nah
It is one thing to assume it'll be limited and slow but slower than even the 360 and PS3's, and by a 25% margin? That's unbelievable

PaulLFC

I'm confused, what does the Wii U's system software do that's out of the ordinary? Why does it need as much as 1GB memory to run? I know all software is different but 1GB seems a huge amount, especially when that's half the entire RAM for the system before we've even talked about running games. I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious here about why it takes up so much memory.

I think that this is a big step for Nintendo and even if the final specs prove it to be less powerful than the current gen PS3/360, Nintendo is still offering their titles in HD to their fans so that's a win.

cyberheater

I'm confused, what does the Wii U's system software do that's out of the ordinary? Why does it need as much as 1GB memory to run? I know all software is different but 1GB seems a huge amount, especially when that's half the entire RAM for the system before we've even talked about running games. I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious here about why it takes up so much memory.

You're not missing a thing. Everyone is baffled why Nintendo are using that much main memory for OS related stuff. It's a poor use of valuable resources imho.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Same thing happened with the Wii. Wii was supposed to be way more powerful than Xbox, GCN, and PS2 but the games certainly didn't show it. But it's pretty much a given that Nintendo consoles are meant for Nintendo exclusives with a little bit of 3rd party goodies here and there. I'm fine with that. I'll be damned if I don't get a 720p 60fps Zelda though.

madmackem

Games designed and written for WiiU should look better then what we have on PS360 if the devs can be bothered to put the work in, have the time and have the talent.
The hardware should be able to deliver.

Which i think will be first party stuff which is fine with me, i know what im buying in the wii u a console for ninty games with the odd third party title worth playing. I feel sorry for anyone going into this thinking its going to be parity third party wise.

Erasus

It can fully in in background. Pause game, bring up browser for example

cyberheater

I think that this is a big step for Nintendo and even if the final specs prove it to be less powerful than the current gen PS3/360, Nintendo is still offering their titles in HD to their fans so that's a win.

vDwjc.gif

zoukka

You're not missing a thing. Everyone is baffled why Nintendo are using that much main memory for OS related stuff. It's a poor use of valuable resources imho.

We really do live in times where the UI is an important part of a platform. I think Nintendo just wants to ensure the usability of Wii U doesn't feel shit compared to apple.

One of the reasons I don't play much with consoles now is the UI and the horrible update war you have to wage every time you open them.

Top Bottom