• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rescued piglets served up as sausages to firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surfinn

I think Vegans have the ethical and moral high ground on issues like this.

As a meat eater, I concede that, and the fact that this story unnerves me certainly is something that gives me pause. Turning "this gives me pause" into giving up meat is the ethical leap I've never been able to make.

So what you're saying is that vegans/vegetarians are Obi-Wan and meat eaters are Anakin.

Also congrats to you for actually considering other possibilities and having a thought of morality enter your mind. Most people just throw out celebratory "go meat!" comments for this kinda shit

Plants are alive too and they have decent pet qualities.

wat

KHarvey16

I would argue the opposite - the fact that so many people have an immediate emotional response is probably an indicator that they should try to reflect on why this story, despite being rationally sensible, is unsettling them.

(If you feel sad when pigs burn to death, you should also feel bad when they're slaughtered for meat. The suffering is different but the dying is the same.)

But the suffering being different is why the sadness after the fact is different.

redcrayon

PETA take any opportunity for an insane marketing stunt, all they do is make people who do good work effectively campaigning for animal rights look ridiculous. This isn't even the weirdest, recently they were having a go at Games Workshop because 'Space Wolves' (essentially Viking space marines) have dead alien fur as cloaks.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) said the piglets were "no better off" for escaping the fire.
My experience of either is predictably lacking, but I'll take being instantly killed for food as planned after a few months on a farm over being burnt to death amid my panicking, screaming and melting brothers, thanks.

The farm giving them sausages was dark humour in retrospect (although the farm seems earnest enough), but from the folks I know that work in them dark humour is what UK emergency services run on. It certainly isn't excessive public funding, staffing etc etc.

What curve would that be? We don't eat dogs or cats because it isn't in the culture of North Americans, and many pet owners value their pets as much as they would their other loved ones. Seems pretty subjective.

Dismissing it doesn't make it go away!

Sure thing.

PETA's response is really childish and was done for publicity. They're assholes.

If you have something to say, go for it.

I said it. Your point was nonsensical and worthless (really, soylent?). There's nothing to be dismissed and that's been the common sentiment in the thread as well. As you seem like just want to nag, I'll pay you no mind going further.

Surfinn

Didn't you know plants are alive? You can also feed and water them like a pet and lots of people talk to them. Why does an ear of corn's life not matter as much as a fish?

Nice I'll have to try that sometime

And I see we've hit the veggies and animal consumption comparison stage

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Good on the farmer, nice thank you gift.

They were raised for slaughter, saving them meant they were able to be raised to provide more protein for others.

MogCakes

I said it. Your point was nonsensical and worthless (really, soylent?). There's nothing to be dismissed and that's been the common sentiment in the thread as well. As you seem like just want to nag, I'll pay you no mind going further.
If we're going for personal attacks, you've been insistent upon replying with equally useless posts assuming you find mine not worth engaging.

Metalgus

Banned
Pigs on a pigs' farm are considered property correct? Then they were rescued as property, and not to spare their lives. As such, it's normal that they end up being slaughtered as that's the whole reason they're bred and raised in the first place. It's just a bit weird that the meat was given to the firefighters, but not that much.

What's intelligence got to do with it?

Pigs on a pigs' farm are considered property correct? Then they were rescued as property, and not to spare their lives. As such, it's normal that they end up being slaughtered as that's the whole reason they're bred and raised in the first place. It's just a bit weird that the meat was given to the firefighters, but not that much.

I agree for the most part. I only think it's weird if you think of it as Operation Pig Rescue rather than firefighters just doing their job.

Hahaha, people still eat meat in 2017? Good lord.
latest

Fucking hell :/ You don't have to be a vegetarian to see something not quite right with killing, cooking and serving up saved animals to their rescuers.

MsKrisp

Well this article is certainly meant to stir the emotions over something that was going to happen regardless.

Fucking hell :/ You don't have to be a vegetarian to see something not quite right with killing, cooking and serving up saved animals to their rescuers.

This is a non issue. That farmer got to take those pigs to market because the firefighters saved his/her livelihood. So, the farmer decided to do something nice in return...

People need to stop twisting this into something it's not.

Damaniel

Banned
Hahaha, people still eat meat in 2017? Good lord.

Tens of thousands of years of evolution conclude that *yes*, people still eat meat in 2017 and will continue to do so. I don't believe in the 'I'll eat two steaks for every one you don't' level of derision toward vegans (I understand and respect the reasons that people choose veganism), but the demonization of meat eaters by a vocal minority of vegans gets very tiresome. Any social movement predicated on casting the vast, vast majority of the first world as little better than genocidal monsters is doomed to fail. Enjoy your veggies, but don't shame me for choosing to do what humans have been doing as long as we've existed.

And yeah, my first reaction to the story was along the lines of 'that's a little messed up', but these are animals that were destined for the plates of someone anyway - why not them?

As others have said... I mean, they were pigs raised for food. This was ALWAYS going to be the end result.

Don't see how them being consumed by the firemen makes it any better or worse.

I am not a "MEAT FUCK YEAH" person, and the day they come out with affordable meat substitutes that don't make me want to vomit I am more than willing to jump over. They aren't there yet as most of the options that taste good are super expensive, and the cheap stuff has a heinous flavor.

.J.

Banned
Plus they served their purpose, which was to be raised and then slaughtered for food. If they burned to death in a fire they wouldn't have been able to be eaten. It's a little dark, but I don't have a problem with it.

That's not their fucking "purpose".

That's not their fucking "purpose".

Yeah it is. We gave that purpose to them.

Animals and humans have as much as a purpose as comets: absolutely nothing. We're just randomly assorted pieces bouncing off one another for eternity until things just up and literally disappear into virtual nothingness.

Any purpose you, I or those piglets have is whatever we desire them to be. It's a dog eat dog bouncing particle world and the strongest bounce wins.

13ruce

Banned
Sausasges while sure a kids snack taste so damn good on bread + mayo.

Circle of life says all:p
It is kinda eh to eat the animals you saved but eh....they can always deny em.

I have a suspicion that if I told this story to my father or anyone his age who grew up outside the city they would be like "whatever".

Also lol at the militant no meat people in this thread.

Eusis

Ok, this may make sense as a "saved her livelihood" thing, but it still sounds like the premise for a Perry Bible Fellowship comic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom