• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rescued piglets served up as sausages to firefighters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like something slave owners would've said at one time about people born in to slavery.

iOlkiWE.png

Alternative thread title: pigs that were always supposed to die, died.

I don't buy any of the morality argument. The environmental arguments are better, but nobody ever advocates for open range style farming in these threads. It's always an all or nothing argument. IMO vegans would do better arguing for the reduction of meat product from one meal a day rather than spending time pointing out sentience or arguing for abstinence.

Sounds like something slave owners would've said at one time about people born in to slavery.

Like this shit right here makes me relfexively want to go eat veal.

As a vegetarian, I would dispute this line greatly. Pain and suffering needs to be put into consideration. They would've died painfully otherwise and I wouldn't wish this on any living thing.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) said the piglets were "no better off" for escaping the fire.

Die in a fire; just a bunch of charred remains.

Get rescued, then killed and cooked; men get to eat.

Seems everything worked out swimmingly

I'm sure at least one fireman there is thinking how fucked up this is lol

You saved a life only for it to die later on, and now you get to eat it's corpse.

low-G

Could've just let em fry in the fire for a tasty snack while you spray water.

going for the most terrible /s I can. Not against eating meat,but this seems weird.

Almighty

Seems like a fitting way of saying thank you.

It's just my two cents, but after reading this thread if your goal is to actually get people to eat less meat then there are much better arguments to make then trying to say it is like slavery or calling people scum. Though I suspect that for some people that goal is actually just to get up on their soapbox and make themselves feel morally superior. Hopefully sometime in my lifetime i can enjoy a nice tasty piece of synthetic lab grown meat and not hear about how I am some kind of monster and destroying humanity. Then again I wouldn't be surprised if I hear arguments from some of the same people about how synthetic meat is not natural and an abomination.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
I wonder if at some point in the future we look back at how we treated animals in disgust.

Yes - people don't need meat.

I admire the dedication of vegans.

/not a veggie.

eizarus

Banned
Animals are not humans. They never will be. To equate them as such is ridiculous. That's not to say we shouldnt treat them with kindness, but your comparison is stupid.

Guys, why are you reflexively getting angry at the slave comment?

Like, unrelated to the animal situation, that not only actually sounds like what you'd expect slave owners to have said, I'm sure I've read the exact quote. Come on, whatever you think of the pig topic, the line he's referring to could be straight out of the mouth of any white guy in the south 200 years ago.. Or at that rally last week, whichever.

GermanZepp

Animals are not humans. They never will be. To equate them as such is ridiculous. That's not to say we shouldnt treat them with kindness, but your comparison is stupid.

The comparison it's no acurate, but not stupid. Just beacause the mayority of humanity always ate animal meat don't mean equate them (with human life, not slavery) is ridiculous.

BibiMaghoo

Would they have sold them as scratchings if they had not been saved in the fire, this is the important question.

I'm sad that some pigs died, but don't see the issue in this situation. If they were not to be killed, and were killed to make food for them fair enough, that would be grim, but these were always going to be sausage...and scratchings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom