• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

4Z7AbtZ.jpg
I slept in this bed.... by myself.

Socreges

Banned
1) I already keep up with Canadian politics but i'm not interested enough to follow american politics on a daily basis
2) hobbies are usually an escape from this trash
3) i'd rather not be depressed every single day of my life

i'm aware that things are happening, I just don't go out of my way to read every single article and thread about Mike Pence's latest goof... at some point you can't be interested in everything in life, you have to pick your battles.
I'm pretty sure most Americans don't know anything about Canadian politics and I don't blame them
I mean... we're talking about Trump being investigated by the FBI. Trump firing the Director of the FBI. And then the Deputy AG, who had been thrown under the bus, appointing a Special Prosecutor. And a whole lot more happening on a regular basis.

I can forgive someone choosing to ignore what's going on, but you can't trivialize American politics. This shit matters to everyone. I don't think I need to list the various flash points and how they can affect Canadians.

I mean... we're talking about Trump being investigated by the FBI. Trump firing the Director of the FBI. And then the Deputy AG, who had been thrown under the bus, appointing a Special Prosecutor. And a whole lot more happening on a regular basis.

I can forgive someone choosing to ignore what's going on, but you can't trivialize American politics. This shit matters to everyone. I don't think I need to list the various flash points and how they can affect Canadians.

That's what I never understand "I'm not interested in American politics." When it has the potential to affect just about everyone, especially our neighbors/allies.

imBask

Banned

That's what I never understand "I'm not interested in American politics." When it has the potential to affect just about everyone, especially our neighbors/allies.

We know it'll affect us, that's not the point. Europe falling apart will probably also affect us and most people aren't talking about it, because they're focusing on Trump and that's fine because that's the topic they decided to be informed on and follow closely at the moment.

I just don't like this shaming of "wow you're not caring enough about what I care about" when in reality you also don't care about some issues I care about, that's just life. I'm following it from a distance, but i'm focusing on stuff that are more local and important to me right now, because i'm more interested in that and i'm better informed about those topics

++ I don't think it's trivializing, not talking about american politics on a video game board, more specifically in a Hockey thread on a video game board is a pretty sane decision IMO

+++ justified cynicism is definitely parts of it on top of all of that

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Thats because you didnt play it with me.

Ive never played it

:|

My problem with the game is that I had friends playing it but they ended up getting way past my level and that wasnt fun or interesting. Playing solo wasnt compelling enough either.

PillarEN

Alright you American political experts. Over or under that DJ Trump gets impeached before the end of the year?

Edit: I feel you imBask. I don't think you're a bad person.

Socreges

Banned
We know it'll affect us, that's not the point. Europe falling apart will probably also affect us and most people aren't talking about it, because they're focusing on Trump and that's fine because that's the topic they decided to be informed on and follow closely at the moment.

I just don't like this shaming of "wow you're not caring enough about what I care about" when in reality you also don't care about some issues I care about, that's just life. I'm following it from a distance, but i'm focusing on stuff that are more local and important to me right now, because i'm more interested in that and i'm better informed about those topics

++ I don't think it's trivializing, not talking about american politics on a video game board, more specifically in a Hockey thread on a video game board is a pretty sane decision IMO
Dude. Please don't misrepresent what I'm saying. Choosing not to discuss American politics here is obviously not at issue. Choosing not to follow American politics at all is also not at issue (others here said as much and I did not address them). I specifically referred to this:

at some point you can't be interested in everything in life, you have to pick your battles.
I'm pretty sure most Americans don't know anything about Canadian politics and I don't blame them
And your reference to Europe is kind of spurious. It is incredibly important and may impact Canada (despite what you implied - in a much less significant way than with Trump and the US), but it's also happening at a glacial pace compared to things in the US.

++++ no straw men please. keep things honest

imBask

Banned
And your reference to Europe is kind of spurious. It is incredibly important and may impact Canada (despite what you implied - in a much less significant way than with Trump and the US), but it's also happening at a glacial pace compared to things in the US.

heh I know it was just an example, but still there's only so many hours in a day and with the cynicism being this strong I just understand why people don't care anymore.

Also if you want 100% truth, if I didn't browse NeoGAF i'd probably care a lot more about American politics. If you wanna talk about straw men and dirty moral high grounds, the OT side is full of it and it does reinforce that cynicism (and no i'm not defending Trump or looking for people defending him)

++++ no straw men please. keep things honest

so you're saying you hate Canadian politics 😏

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If youre level 1 I could play with you

Are you actually interested? I always see playing MLB

Can't remember what level I was. I would probably just start a new character. I wonder I would need to buy any if the new content. I just have the day 1 edition or whatever.

Line_HTX

It's become so much of a dumpster fire that I can't find the right words to express my complete disgust. I follow along what goes on because I browse Twitter, but I don't go out of my way to talk about it. I'm at least aware what happened and what new stupid thing was said. It's very exasperating.

Socreges

Banned
heh I know it was just an example, but still there's only so many hours in a day and with the cynicism being this strong I just understand why people don't care anymore.

Also if you want 100% truth, if I didn't browse NeoGAF i'd probably care a lot more about American politics. If you wanna talk about straw men and dirty moral high grounds, the OT side is full of it and it does reinforce that cynicism (and no i'm not defending Trump or looking for people defending him)

so you're saying you hate Canadian politics 😏
K now we're more on the same page. The continuing Hill-bot/Bernie bros shit that still plagues so many conversations nauseates me. I hate that I can't criticize Obama about (eg) him getting paid to speak to Wall St without being considered a racist (Obama was fucking awesome but he isn't infallible). And I hate that I can't ask questions about Trump without someone deciding that somehow means I might be taking his side. People are so polarized and sensitive right now. OT is a mine field.

And I definitely don't follow Canadian politics as much as I should. It just doesn't pull me like international politics and events do (partly due to my education). But I want that to change.

imBask

Banned
K now we're more on the same page. The continuing Hill-bot/Bernie bros shit that still plagues so many conversations nauseates me. I hate that I can't criticize Obama about (eg) him getting paid to speak to Wall St without being considered a racist (Obama was fucking awesome but he isn't infallible). And I hate that I can't ask questions about Trump without someone deciding that somehow means I might be taking his side. People are so polarized and sensitive right now. OT is a mine field.

And I definitely don't follow Canadian politics as much as I should. It just doesn't pull me like international politics and events do (partly due to my education). But I want that to change.

it is a land mine but it also makes it very difficult to know what's real and what's hyperbole or straight up fake, that's the true tragedy of a circlejerk

PillarEN

I think it's best to digest the political climate with a level headed person you can talk with in reality. A good friend or something like that. Cause even if the two of you don't see eye to eye on everything there is a the understanding of the person. On forums, or GAFs OT, it just doesn't work. Everything is taken to level 100 black and white. Maybe even a little bit post history digging to then shove the dagger deep into the heart of the poster haha. I don't think it's been good for my health. It just reminds me more of people with their cars covered in bumper stickers with their preferred political party rather than a good academic class style discussion.

Sometimes I miss Opiate and his threads where he sort of gave everybody a cup check. I've been much less outraged and hateful and self righteous since I mostly stopped going to OT for politics and just moved to news sources and podcasts where the adults writing or talking resemble actual adults and not people trying to jump on someone and try to win arguments with one liners and goofy nicknames and patting themselves on the back.

Basically when I started to see myself becoming a "fuck this", "wow fucking assholes" type of poster, that's when I had to step away and reevaluate why I'm even doing this or reacting in such a way. In other words, I didn't want to become Rinsfury.

imBask

Banned
. Maybe even a little bit post history digging to then shove the dagger deep into the heart of the poster haha.

gotcha

I can still appreciate something like Freak on the Leash. I mean all things aside about quality I do at least appreciate the vision of the sound that they were going for. As time went on it was like "yeah whatever". I mean did you see their latest album cover? It's a joke. At least they were instantly recognizable just within a few seconds of any single they released.

🤔

Socreges

Banned
Kinda sounds like you're just mad people don't agree with your takes.
Does it now? I don't see how that makes sense given how specific I was. My issue isn't with people disagreeing with me.

-Hill-bot/Bernie bros is an observation. Both sides generate extreme, contradictory views and good luck navigating those debates.
-People can disagree with me and claim that Obama did nothing wrong, he's just getting paid, he shouldn't be criticized. Thats fine. But when people come back with 'People that criticize Obama are just upset that a black man is getting paid'...where do you even go from there?
-And the Trump stuff. I'm referring to people jumping on posts (not just referring to my own) because with a cursory glance they can be misconstrued as somehow defending Trump

So you would summarize that as 'you're just mad people don't agree with your takes'?

it is a land mine but it also makes it very difficult to know what's real and what's hyperbole or straight up fake, that's the true tragedy of a circlejerk
And that's where being informed and being a skeptic comes in handy. Thankfully GAF is pretty good at vetting information so it isn't too bad. eg, there was a thread where Trump was vilified for throwing away a kid's hat. He looked like he didn't give a shit about people. Turned out that wasn't what happened at all. People ended up providing the correct story, though. That doesn't necessarily happen in other communities.

Why is it so hot out ����������������

It's like 33C outside what the Fuck

It was 21 degrees Celsius yesterday and today were sitting at 2 degrees and it's snowing a lot.

Marvie_3

Banned
Are you actually interested? I always see playing MLB

Can't remember what level I was. I would probably just start a new character. I wonder I would need to buy any if the new content. I just have the day 1 edition or whatever.
We could give it a shot sometime. Just send me a message whenever.

Top Bottom