• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

since I grew up watching both originals (hated the vehicles one) #TeamLions

the comedy routine is kinda getting in the way
IF it were funny cool but I feel it is targeting 5 year olds with the humor attempts

the original was really dark compared to this

Well that was an unsatisfying ending. Show's enjoyable, but knowing we'll have to wait at least another year for a continuation to that non-finale is a major bummer.

Geist-

Well that was an unsatisfying ending. Show's enjoyable, but knowing we'll have to wait at least another year for a continuation to that non-finale is a major bummer.

Ya, a show like that is not meant to have only 13 episodes a season.

JSevere

Spent the day going through this and it's pretty good. Has a kinda Saturday morning cartoon feel to it, with Korra-style art and design and the Avatar-esque "let's go liberate people from an evil tyrant" sense of adventure. First couple of eps were just setting everything up so they're not the best the show has to offer, but (ep 3 spoilers)
things pick up once it's revealed that Pidge is a girl
and it keeps going up from there. I don't think it's as character-focused as the showrunners promised though, there seems to be more of a focus on action, but that's fine since those sequences turn out pretty awesome and complement how colorful and flashy the series is as a whole. That's definitely something to improve on in season 2 if the show gets renewed (hopefully), and (ep 11 spoilers)
the team getting separated and probably ending up in different parts of the universe after falling out of the wormhole should provide great opportunities to both put the characters through their paces and show off more of the interesting and creative settings we've barely been introduced to

Yeah, the combination of low episode count + writers making poor use of that limited number of episodes is really disappointing. The finale just *happens* with no real build-up or suspense. Episode 11 feels more like the end of a minor introductory arc than a season finale.

I'll definitely be here for season 2, but after that finale, I'm left feeling frustrated and impatient rather than excited.

Sou Da

I swear this is a DreamWorks mandate. Happened with all their Netflix shows. Most cliffhanger ass cliffhangers possible.

Kanyon

Just finished the first episode, this is going to be a great series. Interested to see how it all plays out with the updated storyline.

Just marathoned this today due to having a cold (summer colds suck so bad...) and it was better than I thought it'd be. It's really a marriage of Avatar and Voltron, and I'm actually okay with that.

Bummed now that we have to wait a while for the next season, but so far, it's been pretty good. After basically watching Voltron my entire life, it's great seeing back.

I still can't unsee all of the pilot designs being used in Gundam though not sure if it's a bad or good thing.

Just finished episode 11.

DAMMIT I WANT MORE!!!!!

Holy shit at Zarkon taking them on in a vacuum by himself. Not only that but there's still a lot more to the lions than what's been revealed with what Keith pulled off.

Please Netflix don't make me wait a year...

btrboyev

Cannot stand the shitty humor and the cheap anime throwbacks. Other than those gripes, I thought the first episode showed potential.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ok the ending
was pure Ronin Warriors, lol. "Everyone is working together as a team! They have new powers and ideals! NOW LETS SPLIT THEM UP!"
Oy.

And with Shiro
LoL, that battle with Haggar was a great Callback to his original death. Thanks for the OBVIOUS DEATH CALLBACK FLAG, lol. I'm actually not feeling he's out of the woods, with that glowing gash.

Zarkon
being the original / past Black Lion pilot was nicely seeded throughout. I appreciate it.

On the topic of Allura
I Really like how foreign she is here. Elven ears, weird shifting abilities, snippets of their own, non-earthen terms... she feels familiar enough, but different. I appreciate that more than "here's some plain earth people, on another planet!"

Coran
seems fairly normal in comparison. He does have a bit of "old soldier" in his characterization, but it's a comfortable amount. I kinda like him.

It was overall very enjoyable, and I can live with it coming up every summer like Legend of Korra. I think it has potential, and I love the wider-universe focus. It builds off some of the promise of old Voltron, while adding it's own expanded universe, that feels like the ideas of people who would have had their imaginations expanded by all the cool shows that were around back in the 80s and 90s.

I'd love to see a big-budget game in this world and universe. It seems to have all the parts that you'd like to see (classes, weapon types, upgrades systems, etc), but I honestly get tired of all the big-budget open world stuff being so overly edgy and "adult".

Makonero

Never really watched Voltron before (way before my time) and thought first episode of this was pretty good.
Really like the characters and animation.

Add me to this corner. I wasn't interested until I heard about the pedigree of the creators, so I'm glad I gave it a chance. I'm on episode 3 and it is a pretty fun series thus far.

Chindogg

Cannot stand the shitty humor and the cheap anime throwbacks. Other than those gripes, I thought the first episode showed potential.

I stopped at Episode 4 just because of this.

Do they finally knock this shit off and get to the actual war that's happening?

This is season 1 of what is assumed to be a long running show, they need to train them from the ground up. They do face the enemy but the majority is still going to be minor they aren't going to go from zero to sixty and fight the final boss in one season man.

Training's fine. But the dumb jokes and knockoff Ewoks are making this exceptionally difficult to get through.

This is season 1 of what is assumed to be a long running show, they need to train them from the ground up. They do face the enemy but the majority is still going to be minor they aren't going to go from zero to sixty and fight the final boss in one season man.

I really enjoyed the show. Liked the pilots, the pacing, the action, the plot. Humor was inoffensive and even got some chuckles from me here or there. My only gripe is that the cliffhanger came outta nowhere and I was like...oh? It's over? K.

Training's fine. But the dumb jokes and knockoff Ewoks are making this exceptionally difficult to get through.

Well, by episode 6
they do leave planet Arus.

I'd keep watching though just to see episodes 10 and 11 as the fights there were really well done.

Just finished the first episode, found it underwhelming. The only character I'm interested in is Pidge, and that's because of his voice actress and
what some spoilers implied.
Also he is the closest to having a semblance of developed motivations. It very much felt like a pilot film. The dramatic storytelling is weak with an over reliance on humor, some of which is in bad taste. The characters largely have poorly developed motivations and act for the sake of the plot.

On the upside, I find the show visually appealing and the 3D animation is better than what you even see in a lot of anime.

Finished the series as well. Fantastic, wrote more thorough thoughts in the Anime thread but I really really liked it. I liked how not every episode devolved into them solving the problem with voltron.

Biggest negative, outside of taking a bit to get going, was that cliffhanger ass ending.

Raxus

Finale discussion spoilers:

To be fair it was a finale. We have a big rescue. A possible Galra spy, and the team separated. Binge watching this does it no favors because you reach the end and go 'That's it?' when realistically you watched 13 episodes. Hopefully splitting the team up can lead to more character focused episodes outside of Pidge.

This is a really fun show damn I binged through 7 already. Really like these pilots and Coran. I thought Shiro would be a stick in the mud with these guys but he's entertaining too.

Love it. A contender for best netflix original show imo.

Pretty much fills the void that avatar/Korra left

NastyBook

Finished this yesterday and I am ready for Season 2. That ending was super cliffhanger-y, though. My only request is that they do better about the music this show has. It almost seems like an afterthought, or maybe they did it a week before the show aired or something. It is just not there.

Dice//

Banned
"Don't say 'Voltron', just do it"
hkZAiiu.png

I'm enjoying it so far. Good sense of humour and good sense of humour about the genre at times ("I'm a leg!").

Finale discussion spoilers:

To be fair it was a finale. We have a big rescue. A possible Galra spy, and the team separated. Binge watching this does it no favors because you reach the end and go 'That's it?' when realistically you watched 13 episodes. Hopefully splitting the team up can lead to more character focused episodes outside of Pidge.

More finale spoilers:

I don't deny that the finale contains plenty of teases for potential plot threads in a second season, but the events depicted were pretty inconsequential. After the Balmera arc, it's like the writers realized they hadn't established an overarching conflict that could realistically be addressed in the last few episodes, so they had the characters pursue a convenient plot device that would lead to Allura's capture, suddenly giving the Paladins a reason to face the Big Bad prematurely.

I really enjoyed this first season, but it would have been better if the sequence of events had been reworked. The episode with Lance getting his Lion stolen would have fit better closer to the beginning of the season (after episode 3). Follow that up with the Balmera arc. Then move into the Fall of the Castle of Lions arc and end on a darker Crystal Venom. Obviously, the story would have needed some altering to accommodate those changes, but I think it would have been an improvement. The episodes featuring Sendak had real stakes and already felt like "finale material" tonally.

EDIT:

Unrelated, but can we all agree that Hunk is the best Paladin? We can? Good.

Toki767

I don't necessarily hate the comedy, but I feel like they're trying way too hard at times to put jokes every few minutes.

I don't necessarily hate the comedy, but I feel like they're trying way too hard at times to put jokes every few minutes.

you guys need to remember this team includes is lead by people who worked on Korra, and Korra had Bolin and Varrick. Who were basically Lance and Coran.

Speaking of Coran how awesome is it that it's Rhys Darby?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

That's how modern demographics for kids shows work. They're more interested in the comedy than action, and that seems to be what allows such shows to get made.

It's a shame, because I'd think even kids would get tired of seeing the same jokes in shows, but what can you do?

If a few dumb jokes is all I have to suffer to get a good Action Animation made now-a-days, I can withstand a few eye roll moments. It's not like every media or age range doesn't do things that feel immature and over-done for the sake of appeasing a simple audience...

PSqueak

Banned
Watched episode one and two last night, really enjoying it, kinda wish they didn't waste ep 2 on the obligatory
"we have to learn how to do that thing we did by chance last ep!
, but, again it's kinda obligatory for mecha series.

I am really enjoying the characterization, they're all likable in their own way, well save for Keith, he hasn't won me over yet.

Watched episode one and two last night, really enjoying it, kinda wish they didn't waste ep 2 on the obligatory
"we have to learn how to do that thing we did by chance last ep!
, but, again it's kinda obligatory for mecha series.

I am really enjoying the characterization, they're all likable in their own way, well save for Keith, he hasn't won me over yet.

The second episode was worth it only to lampshade the "I'll form the head" bit from Shiro and make it sound perfectly natural.

Narag

Expected the worst, actually got the worst with ep 2, but things started going well to the end. Good stuff and glad I gave this a chance.

Just finished it, really quite enjoyed it.

Have they even announced season 2 yet? You CAN'T end it there are there not be one! Still, I liked a lot of what I saw. Pidge being a girl is a nice twist, Allura was excellent (and as a father to a young daughter, the end of episode 9 was heartbreaking), and the comedy was on point and very similar to Avatar and Korra.

Top Bottom