• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

Even though they don't get much focus in the first season, I do appreciate how Lance gradually becomes less of a jackass to Keith and how they start to get on friendlier terms as the season progresses. There's no specific episode dedicated to it, but that growth is visible in the background for a number of episodes. Especially by the time they team up in the Balmera. When Lance is being snarky with Keith later on in the series, there's a bit more of a friendly nature to it than the pure jealousy Lance has early on. Even though this development is never in the forefront, the way it's presented makes it feel pretty natural.

As to Keith
I was also surprised on Keith not being petty, just competitive. Lance keeps egging him on which eventually brings out the competitve/rash side on him, but outside of that his interest is on improving the galaxy and being the best/most effective he can. Which is showing that him being the 'top pilot with personality issues' makes sense. He wasn't just a guy who was good a douche, he's a guy who works hard at what he does and also has a lot of talent, but can be prone to losing his head if egged on.

RPGCrazied

Finally watched the first episode. Generally liked it, but some of the music is bland. I had no idea the actress that plays Audrey in Scream voices one of the characters! Cool!

well if this follows the bojack schedule it'd be a season every year-ish, that's not too bad.

It's a little bad. The several-month-long drought between new episodes of Legend of Korra was pretty rough and that was less than a year
(and the seasons didn't end even on cliffhangers)

EDIT: Scratch that. The wait between Books 1 and 2 was a little over a year. That shit was dire. Book 2 to Book 3 wasn't quite as bad, but it was still pretty irritating.

It's a little bad. The several-month-long drought between new episodes of Legend of Korra was pretty rough and that was less than a year
(and the seasons didn't end even on cliffhangers)

EDIT: Scratch that. The wait between Books 1 and 2 was a little over a year. That shit was dire. Book 2 to Book 3 wasn't quite as bad, but it was still pretty irritating.

I come from the Venture Bros fanbase, your concept of 'bad schedule' makes me chuckle :p

As a person that grew up on the original Voltron, this new series is superior in every way. Nice engaging story, fantastic animation. I even enjoyed the comedy. But binge watching it was a mistake. It felt over way too soon and the wait for season 2 will be painful.

Hamlet

Finished the season today. Really good fun stuff and it does a nice job of filling the gap that Avatar/Korra left. Animation was great as expected from Studio Mir. The soundtrack was solid but nothing too amazing.

well if this follows the bojack schedule it'd be a season every year-ish, that's not too bad.

It might be following the other netflix dreamwork shows schedule of new episodes every 5-7 months hopefully.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Me and my wife watched the first 8 episodes this weekend. We'll probably finish it soon, but not tonight.

So far, we're both really loving the show. I called it about
Pidge
after the first episode, so it was cool to see them go that direction. I'm really impressed with the writing and characterization in the show. They have a lot more depth than the original al series, which I loved to death growing up.

The series definitely gives me a Last Airbender/Legend of Korra vibe in terms of the writing, characterization, and style of humor. That's a good thing! I'm looking forward to finishing the last 4 episodes, but I'm kind of bummed that I'm already almost done. Really well done show, and I'm looking forward to more.

PSqueak

Banned
What I'm curious about is their decision on Allura. With (major show spoilers on revelation)
Pidge being the woman of the group
and their interviews, it seems they want to keep Allura
on a political/leadership role instead of being a leg

Which would also mean that Keith
never becomes the leader and remains as the ace pilot

I think there is still a chance of it happening, i mean,
Allura being strong enough to fling Shiro like a rag doll and pry open steel doors pretty much says she is capable of getting her hands dirty in hand to hand combat, so she's not entirely out of a possible pilot spot.

Allura being strong enough to fling Shiro like a rag doll and pry open steel doors pretty much says she is capable of getting her hands dirty in hand to hand combat, so she's not entirely out of a possible pilot spot.
They've said in interviews "there's more to saving the Galaxy than being a leg" though which implies they don't plan to go the route of the original show. We'll see though.

I'm left wondering if
the strength Allura showed there was a result of her shapeshifting or if she is just naturally that strong

PSqueak

Banned
I'm left wondering if
the strength Allura showed there was a result of her shapeshifting or if she is just naturally that strong

im banking on
It being part of what makes her special, like her psychic link with the mice and lions and her stronger quintessence (revived a whole balmera while Coran could only give it a litle energy), she did say the shape shifting was chameleon like so it must be only aesthetic, also since Coran could not lift the Crystal on the Balmera, probably has to do with her royal blood too rather than a racial trait.

Just finished it. Really enjoyed it. Zarkon OP. One thing though:
After Pidge reveals her true identity, why does she keep the glasses? Wasn't she doing it because she looked like a different person? At this point, there's no reason to do so.
Only thing that really bothered me.
Man fuck that cliffhanger

I know, right? Shit. I thought there would be a little more finality to the ending than that. Instead it just...stops. Like as if the scene changed in the middle of a conversation, only it cut to the end credits instead of another scene.

Forgot to post my impressions here.

I binge watched it over the weekend as I needed to use a VPN trial to even be able to watch it.

I really really enjoyed it. I was a big fan of Studio Mir's work on Korra and went in with pretty high expectations and it blew all of them away.

It might be the best use of CG in a mecha show ever.

The characterization and overall plot was good, and I actually liked how it ended because I think it will set up a really interesting second season.

I might buy the toys when they release for my
self
son....

y2dvd

Really enjoyed the season. Animation was clean, I like the dynamics between the team, voices were fine, the humor didn't over stay it's welcome. What's funny is I'm not a fan of seasons with a crazy amount of episodes. Having said that, the season ended what felt like the half way point and I wanted more.

I agree the soundtrack and sound editing was a bit weak. There were a few scenes that should've had more impact, but the sound and music was tame. I love the synth-noir or whatever you call it though.

3d was fine. Didn't mind it at all.

All in all I give season 1 around a B-.

After Pidge reveals her true identity, why does she keep the glasses? Wasn't she doing it because she looked like a different person? At this point, there's no reason to do so.
Maybe
she normally wears contacts? None of the cast actually intended to leave Earth, so they only have what they happened to be wearing at the time on them.

PSqueak

Banned

Given Pidge's character arc
I am assuming it's because it makes her feel connected to her brother and gives her hope of finding him and her father.

Maybe
she normally wears contacts? None of the cast actually intended to leave Earth, so they only have what they happened to be wearing at the time on them.

Given Pidge's character arc
I am assuming it's because it makes her feel connected to her brother and gives her hope of finding him and her father.
I'd buy both of these. Still,
I feel like it's part of her still hiding.
Oh well, there's a whole second season on the horizon, so we'll see where it goes

Tuck

Just started watching.

Lance is literally Sokka, but with the voice of Finn. Love him.

If the lion is sentient, why does it need a pilot...?

And why/how do all these aliens lifeforms speak english?

DrSlek

I'm enjoying it greatly. There's a lot of convenient coincidences and exposition dumps, but I'm willing to overlook it because the rest of the show is pretty great.

As a big fan of the original US show, this is so good. What a great way to spend the beginning of my week. The callbacks here and there were appreciated.

A while back, I tried watching some old cartoons on Netflix (including Defender of the Universe), and it was painful, so it isn't just nostalgia glasses talking, I hope.

I don't like the VAs for Allura and Coran yet, but they're growing on me.

Inexplicably British = Alien? Just rubs me wrong for no reason. I also missed Prince Lotor. Now there's a character that I wouldn't mind a gender-bended version of. I kind of think "what's the point?" with Pidge/Katie, since it really didn't affect her growth arc in any way, yet. Did laugh at how 99.9% of the characters already knew. Totally an Ouran moment.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Still not in the Portuguese Netflix, no idea why

Just wrapped it up. Good stuff, imo. Action scenes were solid and character writing was generally good. Looking forward to seeing some overall character growth though, other than the
Pidge revelation
, the cast is generally in the same space they were at the start of the season. Hunk did grow a spine, tho. That's nice.

I get the pacing complaints wrt the finale feeling... abrupt, but it's probably a good thing that they established early that
just going straight after Zarkon
wouldn't pan out, otherwise that'd just be kinda hanging there.

Just wrapped it up. Good stuff, imo. Action scenes were solid and character writing was generally good. Looking forward to seeing some overall character growth though, other than the
Pidge revelation
, the cast is generally in the same space they were at the start of the season. Hunk did grow a spine, tho. That's nice.

I get the pacing complaints wrt the finale feeling... abrupt, but it's probably a good thing that they established early that
just going straight after Zarkon
wouldn't pan out, otherwise that'd just be kinda hanging there.

Regarding the finale,
the way I think it should have gone was that they show the Castle of Lions reaching a destination, and then something along the lines of "we made it. But where are the lions?" And then end.
Something akin to that. As it stands it felt too abrupt. As I said earlier, as if they had cut out in the middle of conversation.

DiscoJer

I don't like the VAs for Allura and Coran yet, but they're growing on me.

I absolutely love the VA for Allura.

I don't think that they have British (or something like that, don't quite sound British but not Australian, either, somewhere in between) accents because they are aliens, but because they are royalty. At least the VA for Allura, sounds exactly what I think a young-ish queen who also happens to be in charge of the military should sound like

Coran's accent sounds a bit more working class, since he's the steward or what not.

Like I said, they're growing on me. ;)

Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention... Speculation/Final Episodes Spoilers:
Are all 5 of the Pilots going to get splashed/slashed/imbued with Quintessence? It seems to maybe be how they're going to "power up". Keith got splashed, then he got a bigass mega canon capable of holding off the big bad, and now Shiro got slashed with it as well as having it in his arm. Very reminiscent of Haggarium from Voltron Force? I haven't watched that one yet.

Are we really going to have to wait until next year or do they have 13 more in the bag somewhere that they will release later this year?

Yeah I just got through that episode. Not seeing her present freaked me out at first.

To be fair, I don't think that's what you were thinking of.
Pidge's equivalent in the original series was still a guy. In the original series, Shiro was killed (or put out of action depending on localization) and positions were shifted afterward with Allura becoming a pilot and Keith becoming the leader. So far, this series seems content to leave Allura in a support/plot device role.

PSqueak

Banned
Inexplicably British = Alien? Just rubs me wrong for no reason. I also missed Prince Lotor. Now there's a character that I wouldn't mind a gender-bended version of. I kind of think "what's the point?" with Pidge/Katie, since it really didn't affect her growth arc in any way, yet. Did laugh at how 99.9% of the characters already knew. Totally an Ouran moment.

It's kinda funny to think
Allura technically was just as oblivious as Lance, but the mice told her
and if you think about it
Hunk cheated, he probably found out because he read her diary in the pilot and snooped around her mind for confirmation in episode 2.

Top Bottom