• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

A.V club said "Warner Bros. animation has finally made the uninspired Lego cartoon that so many people were expecting from The Lego Movie back in early 2014.", and others said "It is another enjoyable entry in the overarching LEGO franchise, but the delightfully sharp spark that made the first two LEGO films so great isn't quite there." and "While parents may miss the second-level smarts of its predecessors, kids should fall right into the fun". Doesnt seem to have the wit and adult references the first two had

leng jai

Don't know what people see in Destiny's Bounty. Then again I also don't like the Ninjago City. Being back the OG ninja theme from the 90s with those awesome black gliders.

Haines

Banned
Don't know what people see in Destiny's Bounty. Then again I also don't like the Ninjago City. Being back the OG ninja theme from the 90s with those awesome black gliders.

I watched Jangs review and it has me sold on it.

But if course it's more with my kid in mind/playability.

You know what, fuck it. That other thread is both annoying the shit out of me and lighting a fire under my ass. We need a new MOC contest, and I know just the sets to use.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/search/creativity box

Either the blue, green, orange, or red Creativity boxes. They are only $5 each, so nobody would complain about it being too expensive. And look, there are no instructions saying I can only use this piece this way!
I just ordered the green Creativity box since it's an add-on on amazon and i had some other items I was buying.

Yeah we should definitely do a contest, its been too long. We could do the creativity boxes and let people get up to 4 of any color. I was thinking of still doing that brickheadz mashup but it might be better to wait until series 2 comes put so that people have more variety to choose from.

Yeah we should definitely do a contest, its been too long. We could do the creativity boxes and let people get up to 4 of any color. I was thinking of still doing that brickheadz mashup.

If we want to do it right, only one box of any color. Keep it as cheap as possible. Shut those people up that say it is too expensive to have fun, etc. This is about cutting it down to the barest essentials. And it is done with a single box of loose bricks with no instructions, just what the naysayers were saying LEGO doesn't do anymore.

It's just a wonderful looking classical Japanese ship. The classic style architecture ones are what draws me to only a few Ninjago sets.

Well, and dragons.

Ponn

Banned
SPACE!!
7x8Gbly.jpg

kbROjrC.jpg

zc8PCsV.jpg

blah blah blah, what? Vampires can be in space, call me SyFy channel.

ok its not a great shuttle model but being a 3 in 1 set working within those confines irs really not bad either. I appreciate the working bay doors and an umbilical pole and satellite to play with. my one complaint with that is there is no initial way to connect the astronaut to the pole. That is a tiny nitpick though because with the backpack build its fairly easy to mod it to connect. Until we get another larger proper Shuttle set this is fine to scratch that space itch, especially if you get it on sale.

bonus
HyziFAr.jpg

BOOM! hehe snort snort, im such a nerd

If we want to do it right, only one box of any color. Keep it as cheap as possible. Shut those people up that say it is too expensive to have fun, etc. This is about cutting it down to the barest essentials. And it is done with a single box of loose bricks with no instructions, just what the naysayers were saying LEGO doesn't do anymore.

LEGO GAF Custom Model Contest #8: Spite Building

Broank

Managed to snag the Saturn V (thanks nowinstock!). Actually came a couple weeks ago but haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet because of the hurricane and other things. Also hit a mini jackpot when I stopped at Target today (was at a different store that I had never been to before) where they had Rey's Speeder and Lakeside Lodge on clearance along with a bunch of other stuff I might go back to check again.

otapnam

Managed to snag the Saturn V (thanks nowinstock!). Actually came a couple weeks ago but haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet because of the hurricane and other things. Also hit a mini jackpot when I stopped at Target today (was at a different store that I had never been to before) where they had Rey's Speeder and Lakeside Lodge on clearance along with a bunch of other stuff I might go back to check again.

I swear i never see my Bay area targets or walmarts with decent stuff on clearance :(

I did manage to get the treehouse playhouse set for 25 shipped from Amazon. That about settles me on the 3 in 1 creator sets that ive wanted that have been out for awhile.

mrkgoo

SPACE!!
7x8Gbly.jpg

kbROjrC.jpg

zc8PCsV.jpg

blah blah blah, what? Vampires can be in space, call me SyFy channel.

ok its not a great shuttle model but being a 3 in 1 set working within those confines irs really not bad either. I appreciate the working bay doors and an umbilical pole and satellite to play with. my one complaint with that is there is no initial way to connect the astronaut to the pole. That is a tiny nitpick though because with the backpack build its fairly easy to mod it to connect. Until we get another larger proper Shuttle set this is fine to scratch that space itch, especially if you get it on sale.

bonus
HyziFAr.jpg

BOOM! hehe snort snort, im such a nerd

I love this set so much. Not that the models are super exciting (they're just ok-good), but the set seems to scream creativity with the pieces. I need to go back to moc-ing this set.

(Single set moc is my favoured way of playing now - can't afford sets often, and don't really want to just break down everything. I like the limitation of play - keeps me sort of focussed and attempting new things)

papluh

Carrier Falcon has arrived. Yaaaas.

Good for you.

Mine is officially lost

Customer service offers me just to cancel the order and either get the money back to card or VIP points. I will probably get the black card but all the perks will be disabled by the cancellation or maybe working in case of points transfer ... maybe, no guarantee.
Either way I'm back to the queue, actually not even in the queue, I'd need to go through the ordering process when it appears in stock and if I miss out ...

And unlike the customer service in US, they are unable/unwilling to arrange anything and have not offered even bonus points or such.

DBT85

Good for you.

Mine is officially lost

Customer service offers me just to cancel the order and either get the money back to card or VIP points. I will probably get the black card but all the perks will be disabled by the cancellation or maybe working in case of points transfer ... maybe, no guarantee.
Either way I'm back to the queue, actually not even in the queue, I'd need to go through the ordering process when it appears in stock and if I miss out ...

And unlike the customer service in US, they are unable/unwilling to arrange anything and have not offered even bonus points or such.

I'd hold off TBH as its quite possible it'll appear before long. I mean, you could probably cancel it and it still show up, as whoever has it won't know its been cancelled.

Perks of the black VIP card will be available to anyone who buys it this year, or before they sell out of the cards, whichever comes first.

Koren

That's really disappointing. When they have fan that are ready to fork 800€ for a set at launch, they could at the very least try to be more helpful.

You shouldn't have to order it again, at the very least, they could do it for you (even if it's backorder)

But the "lost" part is strange. Any idea you lost/stole it?

papluh

I'd hold off TBH as its quite possible it'll appear before long. I mean, you could probably cancel it and it still show up, as whoever has it won't know its been cancelled.

Perks of the black VIP card will be available to anyone who buys it this year, or before they sell out of the cards, whichever comes first.

They said it disappeared between LEGO warehouse and DHL, it was never processed by DHL on entry (which matches what I got from DHL).

Maybe they know that somebody messed up, damaged or stole it and are not disclosing it. I will never find out.

I know of that statement about black VIP cards, the thing is that the initial allocation 20k will most probably be gone now. They say on the phone more should be made, but would not commit.

Someone asked for a Mega Bloks Gyarados review awhile ago. I finally got around to building mine... and wow did it make me appreciate the little things in Lego

Pros
- It's Gyarados, one of the coolest Pokemon of all time, and the build really looks nice once it's done
- It's articulated well, each segment can move around on a ball joint, and the tail can flap up and down. The mouth also moves slightly.
- There are no stickers, although, even if this was Lego, the only place I could see them using stickers would be the eyes, but I think Lego would likely print these pieces as well. There were also random printed pieces that Lego wouldn't put effort in, like printing lips on the lower mouth segments.
- Mighty has some wacky pieces, like studs on the top and bottom, that are kind of cool and I wouldn't mind seeing adapted into Lego.
- The quality of the pieces are a lot better than I remember old school 90s Mega Bloks being. I had a dinosaur kit from them as a kid, and I remember the pieces being kind of mediocre feeling. A few even shattered as time when on (which is bad for a kids' toy!)
- There are marbled transparent plastic bricks that have a nice visual effect on them that Lego could do more with. They already apparently have a way to do it, since their force lighting piece does this.

Cons
- The quality of the pieces is better than the 90s, but still not great. The edges are super sharp on some pieces. I didn't have any loose pieces, but nearly every piece I placed was very tight, to the point where it was really annoying to make simple mistakes. Their knockoff Technic pins are the worst, it's basically impossible to remove them once they're placed, and they seem to love using them.
- The instructions are bad. They'll be really detailed in some places, and then randomly skip over a few bricks in other spots. The directions are also kind of scatterbrained, and there were a few times where I read over the directions and did it in my own order and everything snapped in a lot easier than their method had me do. The book is also a vertically centered, and that's harder to use than a traditional horizontal booklet. It opens like a calendar...
- Despite being a kids toy meant to be played with, it's very fragile. Gyarados' head is very poorly put together. His crest on his nose falls off with a gentle breeze, I've had his eyes fall off, his fins are fragile, and there never feels like there's any structure to the pieces. Often pieces are hinged on a single stud, and they fall off way too easily
- There's no order to the bags at all, they're just random pieces, vaguely sorted by color and size (very vaguely), and thrown into the box. A build that would have taken a little over an hour, probably, with proper Lego instructions and bags, took almost three hours. It was more of a scavenger hunt for the right piece than an actual construction toy. There's also a zillion light blue pieces, many of which are very similar, and finding them in a bag with another zillion light blue tiny pieces is challenging and annoying.
- Some of the pieces get too wacky, like the random T brick I got that changes the studs so they go "off grid" from the usual spacing of studs.
- There's a few places where the pieces are meant to be placed, but cannot lay flat due to the slightly raised portion of the ball joints getting in the way. It's a weird design, that I'm not sure if they didn't catch, or didn't really care since it looks okay once it's done being built.
- My Ultra Ball was completely mangled. The printing was scrapped up on one side, and the top wouldn't fit properly. I had to apply a lot of force to get it to snap, and now it's never coming off. The holes attaching to the studs below seem to have been slightly warped.
- It came with extra pieces that I didn't know what to do with, so I put them with my extra Lego pieces. Oh no!

Overall, it's a nice kit if you really like Pokemon (like I do) and want a sort of Legoish build of a popular Pokemon. But man did I wish it was Lego basically through the entire build, mostly because the bags were so poorly organized, it was a disaster. It's soooo fragile too.

Lego needs to get with Nintendo. I don't know why Nintendo tolerates second class knockoffs like Mega and K'Nex, when they could easily get in with the king.

Osahi

Finally put some deadlines behind me, so I took a half day of to finish the Old Fishing Store.

It looks absolutely amazing. Packed with detail and charm. But the build was pretty tedious and straightforward. Nothing really stood out for me. Those who expect a Modularesque building get it with the looks, but not with the build...

Still a great set, but I can't help to be a tad dissapointed afterwards, as I expected to be amazed bij the build.

DonShula

Good for you.

Mine is officially lost

Customer service offered to refund you in VIP points? That's insane. What kind of store fails to provide you with a product at all and then has the nerve to offer you store credit as a refund? And they're going to make you buy it again, so store credit would potentially keep you from collecting more VIP points if the re-buy happens during double VIP in October.

All in all, that's incredibly tone deaf.

Customer service offered to refund you in VIP points? That's insane. What kind of store fails to provide you with a product at all and then has the nerve to offer you store credit as a refund? And they're going to make you buy it again, so store credit would potentially keep you from collecting more VIP points if the re-buy happens during double VIP in October.

I think he bought the Falcon partially with VIP points and they are offering him back exactly what he paid, which is fair but not exactly compensating in this situation.

papluh

They offered a cancellation to card first. That would cancel the Black VIP card as well.
I started to push them to guarantee me that I will get it in that case. They could not.
The lady escalated to somebody, that one came with plan to redeem the order with VIP points which should keep it as completed and not alter the status of the Black VIP card.
But again, no guarantees as they are only regional customer service.

I have still kept the order as it is and I'm trying to find a way how to get to somebody who is has some powers, probably not in the regional center.

willp2003

Falcon is coming along nicely. Have swapped all the dark grey in the mandibles, and am removing/replacing as much of the dark tan as possible. Engine mod is complete as well. Just have to hope it fits with the rest of the build now. Looking forward to getting some LEDs behind the engines as well.
ZOQUkhw.jpg

ljM67DF.jpg

Called LEGO store in Nashville. All their falcons today are spoken for since they had a line formed at 6am.
Wtf at that for second week. I can’t help but feel it is scalpers more than ever camping for that long to take advantage of the scarcity.

DBT85

Trying to get this old LEGO sorted so I can take a pic of my pile of new sets for which I blame you all for.

Called LEGO store in Nashville. All their falcons today are spoken for since they had a line formed at 6am.
Wtf at that for second week. I can't help but feel it is scalpers more than ever camping for that long to take advantage of the scarcity.

You've only got to look at ebay to see that's exactly what they are doing. Despite having one sitting here it fucks me off that they didn't at minimum limit it to 1 per order online.

Falcon is coming along nicely. Have swapped all the dark grey in the mandibles, and am removing/replacing as much of the dark tan as possible. Engine mod is complete as well. Just have to hope it fits with the rest of the build now. Looking forward to getting some LEDs behind the engines as well.
ZOQUkhw.jpg

ljM67DF.jpg

I demand finished pics.

willp2003

Are those hinges or are they using the natural flex of parts?

Also, I see where those 2000 new parts went.

It's just the natural flex. They're never perfectly square. The original moc for 10179 was by ScottishDave on eurobricks.
I think it looks better than the blue tubes and rigging. It has increased the part count to approx 7800-7900 pieces.

Ryuuroden

LOL, was thinking the same thing. Cue the influx of translucent turquoise studs at Lego Store brick walls across the country.

Well that is his custom design. The official model has stupid tubes and boat rigging. I'm planning on customizing mine as well. Offical set, the engine is 6 flex tubes and two grey ship rigging, total of 8 bricks.

Koren

I think it looks better than the blue tubes and rigging. It has increased the part count to approx 7800-7900 pieces.
I agree... The only thing I don't like is the reliance on flex, but I'll probably do a similar thing.

Funnily enough, I bought a cup of those trans-clear blue 1x1 round tiles a couple years ago in case I need to build a pool of some sort, I probably have enough parts.

Do you need a lot of uncommon gray parts to replace the dark gray ones? I don't understand why they used those, and that's a thing I can see myself switching, too.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand at all how that curvation works. How does it work?

ghostmind

The Ninjago Movie (January):

70629 Piranha Chase
xRex4yE.jpg

T6Gl4bR.jpg

70631 Garmadon's Volcano Lair
ibm1zSs.jpg

220ywSd.jpg

70632 Cole's Quake Mech
kcKgH4r.jpg

TyUA5Yz.jpg

70656 garmadon, Garmadon, GARMADON!
E5fAoZD.jpg

4S4XOyt.jpg

willp2003

I agree... The only thing I don't like is the reliance on flex, but I'll probably do a similar thing.

Funnily enough, I bought a cup of those trans-clear blue 1x1 round tiles a couple years ago in case I need to build a pool of some sort, I probably have enough parts.

Do you need a lot of uncommon gray parts to replace the dark gray ones? I don't understand why they used those, and that's a thing I can see myself switching, too.

I basically swapped the underside with the top side. It's too big to be lifting it up and showing off the underside. I have used a few bits from my spares. I couldn't tell you what though. I've mostly used 1x1, 1x2 plates a few tiles, but replacing the 5x16 plates on top was the biggest ones.
I'll add up all the bits for the engines when I get back home.

Got mine too today!
Time to put in on ebay for 3000$.
I'm joking.

Mine arrived today too.

Everything went surprisingly smoothly with Yodel after contacting Lego customer service despite it not updating tracking for the first three days.

Fortunately I was working from home today and managed to stash it in the cellar asap while the wife and kids were out.

Me and my youngest probably won't get chance to do anything with it until next week at the earliest though.

I didn't think there could be an uglier Lego theme than Bionicle or NinjaGo (which has redeemed itself with a couple of sets). Nexo Knights is trying hard though.

Koren

I don't understand at all how that curvation works. How does it work?
I guess he used 1x2 plates in the middle row...

Code:
[ O    O ][ O    O ][ O    O ][ O    O ]...
[ O    O    O ][ O    O ][ O    O ][ O  ...

And 2x2 on top and bottom to join them.

I basically swapped the underside with the top side. It's too big to be lifting it up and showing off the underside. I have used a few bits from my spares. I couldn't tell you what though. I've mostly used 1x1, 1x2 plates a few tiles, but replacing the 5x16 plates on top was the biggest ones.
Interesting... I was worried with things like the arches used to create the holes. I'm not that scared with plates and tiles (though... 5x16 is a typo, right?!

valkyre

After more than 1 year of planning, collecting parts and seeking advise, I managed to reverse engineer Marshal Banana's Millennium Falcon masterpiece!

Some finishing touches are missing like a few details that I am waiting parts for, as well as led lighting for the engine and mandibles.

I used more than 8,000 parts for the construction.

The amount of work I put into this, even though it is a replica, was crazy I tell you...

Anyhow here are a few pics:

PVm4B8c.jpg

3LR5Na0.jpg

7wlmlaH.jpg

Xz8kUcL.jpg

9McOsBk.jpg

NuI75rO.jpg

I will update with proper photography when the model is fully finished, but had to share my excitement with you!

PS: Errr I tried to put the photos in spoiler tags so that they dont take up so much space but somehow they took the same space but was only blank? Is there another way to spoiler tag pics without taking so much space on the page?

Top Bottom